Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-11-2007, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default NRA High Power Match @ West End Gun Club - Sun, 03/18

The NRA High Power match at the West End Gun Club is scheduled this month for Sunday, 03/18.

It is an 80 round match (+8 sighters): 20+2 slow fire standing @ 200 yards, 20+2 rapid fire sitting @ 200 yards, 20+2 rapid fire prone @ 300, 20+2 slow fire prone @ 550 yards.

This is not an NRA approved/registered match, so scores will not be reported for classifications, but the match will follow standard NRA match procedures and safety is first and foremost.

While the course of fire is timed at each stage according to NRA rules, it is an informal match, so if more time is needed for slow fire stages and/or coaching is desired, this is a good venue for you. Also, if you have never shot in an NRA high power match, this would be a good venue to participate in for experience.

Any rifle that is legal for NRA high power is allowed, service or match rifle.

The gate should be open around 0715 for check-in and briefing, and the first relay will start shooting at 0800. Match fee is $15.

Each shooter is responsible for pulling targets during the respective relay. If the shooter is for some reason unable to pull targets during the appropriate relay, that shooter should bring someone who can pull in their place.

Charles Guzman is the match coordinator for this event, but if you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post and I'll answer any questions the best I can (or forward them to Charles if necessary).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-13-2007, 6:55 PM

ocabj,

I have never fired in a highpower match before but am very interested in trying one. The only equipment I have is a CMP M1 rifle, a cloth USGI style shooting coat and some ammo.

Do you feel that it is advisable to come out and observe a match to famalirize myself with the procedures prior to shooting in one?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-13-2007, 9:06 PM

Default NRA Match

Where are you located? I think we all started in highpower with a M1 and a cloth coat. Some of us still are. If you are in the So.or No. Calif area there are some great matches. Some held at 100 Yards others full course 2,3,600 yds. Let us know where you are generally located. We will direct you to matches in your area. Definitely fun, we all seem to have gotten hooked once we fired that first match! Everyone is helpfull at a match, take your rifle and shoot the match.

Nile.

Last edited by Nile; 03-13-2007 at 9:10 PM..
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLVbug View Post
ocabj,

I have never fired in a highpower match before but am very interested in trying one. The only equipment I have is a CMP M1 rifle, a cloth USGI style shooting coat and some ammo.

Do you feel that it is advisable to come out and observe a match to famalirize myself with the procedures prior to shooting in one?

Thanks,

Bill
Go for it. Shooting is about safety and having fun. After that, everything else is icing on the cake.

There was actually a guy who came out to the one last month at West End and shot with a regular .30-06 Garand with standard USGI sights and a basic coat with 150gr handloads. It was his first time shooting Across the Course and he had a good time. Hopefully he comes out again this month.

Bring your rifle to a match. As long as it functions safely and reliably, you'll have no problems bringing it out there. Don't worry about not having all the other gear. Other shooters will be willing to help you out whenever they can with spotting, scoring, procedures, etc.

My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-14-2007, 8:10 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. I am in the Covina area, so WEGC is a pretty close drive for me. Given the advice, I will see if I can make the time to come out. I really hope I can. We have two little ones, so it's not as easy as it used to be to do my own thing on the weekends anymore. How long do matches usually last?

Thanks again, for the replies.

Bill
Old 03-14-2007, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
How long do matches usually last?
Last match ended a little before 2pm.

Old 03-16-2007, 9:08 AM

OCAJB,

Unfortunatley, I'm not going to be able to set aside the time to come out this weekend. I will be setting aside time to get out and shoot a match in the next few months. However, I have another question. Is there a type of highpower rifle match where the time necessary to complete the match is shorter?

Thanks again for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Bill
Old 03-16-2007, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is there a type of highpower rifle match where the time necessary to complete the match is shorter?
Across the Course matches usually last at least 5 hours.

It takes about 30 min to shoot each stage of fire. With 4 stages, that's 2 hours. Plus you need at least 2 relays, which makes 4 hours. Then add miscellaneous time necessary to move from from firing line to firing line and for pit changes.

As far as other rifle matches with shorter times? Not sure. I think any match format where you don't have to move between various firing lines, like a fixed distance with reduced targets and no pits, should be shorter in time. I think the Angeles range has some reduced course NRA HP rifle matches shot at 100 yards only.

Last edited by ocabj; 03-16-2007 at 9:19 AM..
Old 03-16-2007, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Just when the weather was looking decent for Sunday, the current forecast for Sunday shows winds up to 20mph.

Believe it or not, this isn't that bad, and we may actually shoot with that kind of wind. When weather.com (which is what I use for my weather forecasts) estimates wind, it's pretty accurate. The hour by hour report shows the wind won't get about 10mph until around 1pm, which is right when we would start shooting at the 600 yard line for the last relay. From the way it looks, it won't be a steady 20 mph wind with high gusts. It will most likely be 10mph with 20mph gusts.

I've shot in a 20-25mph full cross wind at 600. It isn't that hard as long as it's a consistent wind.

I'll post an update later Saturday evening.

Old 03-17-2007, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Sunday's weather forecast for Highland, Upland, and the Lytle Creek area looks good. Winds downgraded to 5-10mph, which is normal.

Should be good shooting conditions tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Traveling from your location would take to much time, but Angeles shooting range host the LARC rifle club. Which holds a 100 yd match, 50 shots with two sighters. Sign in @8:30am First Saturday of the month. They are completed by 11:30am and your out of there. Fun club to shoot with. I'll see what I can find in your area and post a link for you. Don't worry about having all the gear. Highpower shooters share!
Old 03-18-2007, 8:16 PM

Nile,

I wouldn't mind taking the time to run out to Angeles. After all, we do live in California; commuting is just part of life. I really do want to try my hand at some sort of formalized shooting. I have the itch to do something different than the norm of plinking (not that there is anything wrong with plinking). Again, thanks for the response.

OCABJ, How was the match out at WEGC today? Was the weather good?

Bill