Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Default Buying first handgun

I am 20 and turning 21 in about a month. my parents are splitting a handgun with me for my 21st bday (great parents I know).

Couple questions I have,

Can I take the handgun saftey class/test before I turn 21 so that I can buy the gun on my birthday?

I will be buying a HK45, and understand I have to go through some irritating legal channels to do so, but Valkyrie arms is willing to take single shot exempt guns. Do I have to find an FFL that will ship to valkyerie/other single shot exempt FFLs, or do they have an out of state FFL that they will direct me too?

I am in San Mateo County, so I'd prefer to find an FFL around here that will walk me through the HK45 buying process. I've shot many handguns, and this is by far my favorite. Enough where I am willing to spend the extra money, any suggestions on who's good?

Or, should I just find a calgunner who I can do a private transfer with? I don't really want to go through this process of finding someone if it's not a very common thing.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM

After just doing this for the first time a couple of weeks ago I can promise you that you need to be 21. Simple as that.

The test is a no brainer. I did read and study anyways and got a 30. It is like a DMV test, all the answers are in the book.

Safe handling was easy enough. Nothing to worry about.

You have to wait 10 days anyways. Which sucks, but it's the CA LAW.

Go for it. I waited until I turned 30 but that was my wife's present to me. Now that I have the HSC I'll be making more purchases. Greatest feeling being able to just know now you can go buy anything.

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I know , Valkyrie has their own means to aquiring off list handguns...you just need to tell them what you want and they will let you know if it is doable or not. There is a member here that works at Valkyrie and he may chime in with some more specific info.

As far as the Handgun Safety Card (HSC)...I dont know the age thing with that. The tes is a no brainer and you can take the test in minutes and get your card the same day so it doesnt really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I didn't miss the bend-over-party every time a friend wanted to get in my back seat. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
.......No not a Knights In Satans Service rifle lol.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I took the practice test and got 29/30 so I'm not worried about the test itself. I was just curious if I can get my card before I turn 21 so that I have it taken care of before the day I turn 21.

Thanks spunger1, i'll check out valkeryie when the day comes. I've been working for 4 months to pay rent and save up and just found out now that it's not on the CA list. .

I have some rifles, so I've been through the process of going to FFL for transfer, but out of state long rifle is as complicated as I got. This entire single shot thing drives me crazy.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunger1 View Post
After just doing this for the first time a couple of weeks ago I can promise you that you need to be 21. Simple as that.

I've had my HSC for a year and I'm still 4 months from being 21. Either I paid for an HSC before I needed to or that is FUD. I haven't looked into since I took the test but IIRC you need an HSC for an intrafamilial handgun transfer to someone under 21 and that is the reason I got mine.

Some FFLs turned me down saying because I can't purchase a handgun until I'm 21, they won't let me take the test. I eventually called Toro Arms in Woodland and asked if I could take the test. I explained why I would need one. They looked up the laws (first place of 4 or 5 places) and gave me a call back. Took the test shortly after and got my HSC.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

My parents have never shot guns in their lives, so the family transfer is out of the question for me.

It might be easier to just wait in my case.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Age for the HSC is 18, though many gun stores either do not know or act that way.

It's legal for a parent or grandparent to give a handgun to an 18-year-old child or grandchild, but the receiver is required to have the HSC.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: fix spelling
Old 12-29-2011, 3:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Yep, my daughter got her HSC at 18.
Old 12-29-2011, 5:44 AM

The sample questions in the official HSC pdf manual here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

Are the EXACT questions for the actual test.

I read through the manual once and passed.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Mike View Post
The sample questions in the official HSC pdf manual here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

Are the EXACT questions for the actual test.

I read through the manual once and passed.
Took my wife handgun shopping. She found one she liked. But, she'd never bought a gun before, so 'surprise, take this test!'. She never looked at any of the materials, though I suppose she's heard me muttering over the years.

Missed one, because she marked the wrong bubble; she knew the right answer, just hit the wrong spot.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
I am 20 and turning 21 in about a month. my parents are splitting a handgun with me for my 21st bday (great parents I know).

Couple questions I have,

Can I take the handgun saftey class/test before I turn 21 so that I can buy the gun on my birthday?

Yes you can

I will be buying a HK45, and understand I have to go through some irritating legal channels to do so, but Valkyrie arms is willing to take single shot exempt guns. Do I have to find an FFL that will ship to valkyerie/other single shot exempt FFLs, or do they have an out of state FFL that they will direct me too?

I am in San Mateo County, so I'd prefer to find an FFL around here that will walk me through the HK45 buying process. I've shot many handguns, and this is by far my favorite. Enough where I am willing to spend the extra money, any suggestions on who's good?

Many local FFLs will do the single shot exemption....call around and see what they charge for those conversions

Or, should I just find a calgunner who I can do a private transfer with? I don't really want to go through this process of finding someone if it's not a very common thing.
Single shot conversions are becoming popular. Perfectly legal. I say go for it!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason