Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-28-2011, 2:28 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Default Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50mm AO Review

Here is the link to the Manufacturer: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...x-wide-reticle

I purchased this scope purely for target shooting @ 50 to 300yds. This is a large, heavy scope so wouldn't want to haul it around all day in the desert or forest. It is the lowest cost Vortex line of scopes, made in China and on closeout sale price @ $169 shipped to my door from Cameraland. It has a 30mm tube so ring choices are limited. I mounted it with Leapers Accushot 30mm medium height rings. Cost ~ $14 from Amazon.com. Comes with scope cover and sunshade (makes it look huge).

The scope is mounted on my .17HMR. The scope comes with the reticle centered in elevation and windage and was zeroed very quickly. The scope is very clear and bright up to 28X and begins to darken slightly above that but totally useable for target work. Nice tall target turrets that are finger adjustable and can be reset with a small allen wrench. I did the box test @ 50 yds and it returned exactly back to the original zero point. One spec of this scope that I like is that it has 75 inches of elevation/windage adjustment so this scope can be zeroed way out there for .22lr, .22WMR and .17HMR.

The elevation and windage target turrets have positive, audible clicks with no slop and are easy to reach for adjustment. The AO adjustment while firm is not hard to turn and the yardage on the ring matches the range. The eyepiece has a fast focus and again is easy to turn.

The reticle is a wide duplex with a fine crosshair suitable for target work and long range varmit hunting from a fixed position. The glass is all fully multicoated and provides a clear sharp target picture.

I have previously owned two BSA scopes, an 8-32X and a 36X fixed and this scope is far superior to either of those scopes.

For anyone wanting a scope for target work or long range shooting take a look at this scope.

The price is right and the warranty is the best I have ever seen. If the scope fails or you happen to break it by running over it with your truck Vortex will repair or replace it at no cost, no questions asked and the warranty applies to the scope whoever owns it. No registration or receipt required. Just send it back to them. Can't beat that.

To acquire a better scope, in my opinion, with this magnification you will have to spend $350-$400+ on a Sightron, Clearidge, Nikon, Weaver or Leupold.

Last edited by Izzy43; 12-28-2011 at 2:32 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 2:32 PM

It really seems like the "value" or "economy" optics are catching up in terms of quality and should be considered if you're not made of money. Thanks for the review!

Want to buy: Revolver in .357mag or .22lr >3"bbl
Also want to buy Dan Wesson 15 barrel shrouds (.357)
WTS/WTT Savage 10 (.223 w/accutrigger)
WTS Rifle scope 6-24x44
Looking for a learner motorcycle
Old 12-28-2011, 2:39 PM

Looks like http://www.gearhog.com/ has them listed for $129.99 offer until today 12/28/11 (just read the fine print)

looks like a great deal!

(NRA MEMBER SINCE 1996/LIFE SINCE 2010) (CRPA "5 YEAR" MEMBER 2010)
EBAY FEEDBACK: EVIL INTENT FACEBOOK PAGE: EVIL INTENT PAINTBALL TEAM:
Old 12-28-2011, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeedracerr View Post
Looks like http://www.gearhog.com/ has them listed for $129.99 offer until today 12/28/11 (just read the fine print)

looks like a great deal!
Wow, that's a great deal. One correction though, the fine print says until 12/28/2012
Old 12-28-2011, 3:31 PM

I had a friend who just bought this scope off of gear hog for his AR. Do you think this would hold up to the abuse of 556? Everywhere I read says dont go cheap, but its a vortex with a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-28-2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider858 View Post
I had a friend who just bought this scope off of gear hog for his AR. Do you think this would hold up to the abuse of 556? Everywhere I read says dont go cheap, but its a vortex with a lifetime warranty.
I don't equate this scope with cheap (inexpensive is the way I think of it) but it may be cheap. I would probably not have purchased it except for the warranty. Will it hold up on his AR, heck I don't know but your friend can exhaust Vortex's inventory if it doesn't. The recoil of an AR is not that violent. On a .338 Mag, maybe not. I have read a lot about Vortex customer service and all has been top shelf.

Edit: None of the Crossfire scopes are advertised as rimfire scopes so I would expect that at least the specifications require it to withstand centerfire recoil. Of course this is somewhat of an assumption on my part.

Last edited by Izzy43; 12-28-2011 at 3:51 PM..
Old 12-28-2011, 4:27 PM

Excellent review Izzy, great info. I just removed the Sweet 17 from my .17 HMR because I was upset at the performance, not enough minute adjustments for my taste. This maybe the ticket. I'm pretty much done shooting for the year due to the weather so it's time to buy goodies and equipment.
I beleive these lower priced scopes are filling in a very profitable niche in the market. I may even slap it on my M-15 and give it a whirl.