Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-25-2011, 2:16 PM

Default Quick legality check on M1 carbine and CA law

Pardon the stupid question but I'd rather double-check than miss something: a friend is visiting by car from out-of-state and brought along his M1 carbine with 15 round mags.

Under CA law an unmodified M1 carbine is not an "assault weapon" and as long as he owned the magazines pre-2000 there is nothing illegal in this scenario, correct? And he should transport it locked up, with empty or no mags in the rifle, to be in full compliance of state and fed laws (GFSZs)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 12-25-2011, 2:23 PM
klaatu barada nikto!
CGN Contributor

If these mags where in CA when the ban effecting them was created then I believe is is fine. If these mags have never been in CA before then he needs to disassemble them NOW

The problem is he is from out of state and brought them in state and would be considered importing, so the devil is in the details.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 12-25-2011, 3:44 PM

Is there any sort of exemption for people who are just visiting CA, in this case less than 1 week? I'm wondering what out-of-state shooters do if they attend a CA competition.
Old 12-25-2011, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
Is there any sort of exemption for people who are just visiting CA, in this case less than 1 week? I'm wondering what out-of-state shooters do if they attend a CA competition.
There are roughly 27 exemptions to the California large capacity magazine law, but there is no exemption for visitors or competition purposes.

The only exemption that MIGHT apply would be if he lawfully possessed the magazines in California prior to Jan 1, 2000.

Back on the M1....

If the M1 has a flash hider, then it would fall under California's SB23 assault weapons ban if it also has a detachable magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-25-2011, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
If these mags have never been in CA before then he needs to disassemble them NOW
Why?

Possession is not illegal. The crime was that of importation. That already happened and disassembling the magazines does not change that.

All disassembly allows for is for a person to perjure themselves and claim that the magazines were legally imported disassembled.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-25-2011, 5:20 PM
klaatu barada nikto!
CGN Contributor

Perjury was never implied ...... my thoughts where if something happen and he was taken in with the whole story coming out that once he realized what had happened he converted them to a legal form the system might go easier on him. Still has the importing issue to deal with. If it was my choice I would put them in a box and mail them back to myself out of state.

Possession is not a crime but these are not "clean" mags.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 12-25-2011, 5:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus

He is guilty of felony importation of large-capacity magazines. Sadly, there are probably no exemptions that he can claim in this case.

With that sad, they were already imported and a crime has already been committed that cannot be undone so he might as well just use the mags with the firearm here in CA since possession by itself is not against the law. He should not tell anyone that he imported them unlawfully though.

Now, if your friend was FROM California originally and possessed those magazines IN ANY CAPACITY inside California BEFORE January 1st, 2001, no matter for how long or short a period, then he is actually exempt from the law and DID NOT unlawfully import those magazines.

For example, did he at any time visit you in California before the year 2000 with those magazines? If so, then he can legally import and re-import those magazines as often as he would like without legal repercussions.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 12-25-2011, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I would suggest that disassembling the magazines would make the prosecutor's job a lot harder should he have LE interaction.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-25-2011, 9:31 PM

Thanks all. He is originally from CA and the M1 may in fact have been purchased during that period.

Don't yet know if it has a flash hider but I think it's unlikely.
Old 12-25-2011, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

You should expect black helicopters landing on the roof any second now!

Seriously, disassemble them and be done with it.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 12-25-2011, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

An M1 carbine can't have a flash hider unless he installed one of these on it (a screw-on muzzle device) OR he has a custom barrel with one integrated somehow:

Also, sadly, there is NO exemption in CA law for "high capacity" magazine importation (if it wasn't in CA in his possession before 2000) for guests or visitors, that's Fascist-fornia for you.

We hope to get this and many other ridiculous legislative overturned or nullified one of these days.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 12-26-2011, 6:38 PM
Not a miracle worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
An M1 carbine can't have a flash hider unless he installed one of these on it (a screw-on muzzle device) OR he has a custom barrel with one integrated somehow:

Also, sadly, there is NO exemption in CA law for "high capacity" magazine importation (if it wasn't in CA in his possession before 2000) for guests or visitors, that's Fascist-fornia for you.

We hope to get this and many other ridiculous legislative overturned or nullified one of these days.
Ah yes, the "Cone of Loudness".

They were actually of some use on the M2 Carbines in Korea, especially with the infra-red night scopes.

Do not attach one to your M1.

Best!

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.
Old 12-26-2011, 7:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would suggest that disassembling the magazines would make the prosecutor's job a lot harder should he have LE interaction.
Correct. In combination with the necessary STFU-except-thru-lawyer, it offers protection.

ALWAYS do anything to raise burden of proof/add confusion.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-26-2011, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post

THis device is indeed a flash hider and is prohibited from use on a normal M1 Carbine (unless it were to strangely be equipped with a BulletButton-styled maglock).

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Make sure he doesn't have a paratrooper "folding stock" on it either. That's an AW feature and will get him popped for yet another felony.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 12-27-2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
There are roughly 27 exemptions to the California large capacity magazine law, but there is no exemption for visitors or competition purposes.

The only exemption that MIGHT apply would be if he lawfully possessed the magazines in California prior to Jan 1, 2000.

Back on the M1....

If the M1 has a flash hider, then it would fall under California's SB23 assault weapons ban if it also has a detachable magazine.
Can you legally put a flash hider on an M1 Garand since the magazine is internal, non detachable?
Old 12-27-2011, 4:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
Can you legally put a flash hider on an M1 Garand since the magazine is internal, non detachable?
Yes.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"