Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-22-2011, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default Benelli m2 tactical vs benelli m4

Contemplating an m2 tac... Any reason to pay more for the m4? HD and occasional trap is goal.
Old 12-22-2011, 7:46 PM

I might be mistaken but isn't the M4 only available in shorter, tactical versions either with or without the pistol grip?

If you plan on using it for anything other than home defense, paper punching, or 3 gun competitions, I'd go with the ability to have a longer barrel. Even a 20-22" barrel can be decent for busting clays while still being somewhat maneuverable around the house.

Have you, by chance, looked at the Remington 1100 Tac4? 22" barrel, full length mag tube extension, still semi auto, and lots of options for stocks if you wanted to change. From the looks of it, your Benelli choices limit you to 18-18.5" and you'll be stuck with that. Most guys will tell you 18 inch barrels, especially those with fixed chokes, are HORRIBLE for skeet/trap.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-22-2011, 7:51 PM

Added an M4 to our "loaner guns" for training. Pistol grip, ghost ring rear and blade front sights ...too much "junk on the barrel for my liking" ...and don't really care for the pistol grip. I have simply shot far, far too many clay targets over the years to appreciate these "add ons". Aside from that ...the M4 is a great gun.

I have ordered a "slick" M2 ...meaning conventional grip ...no rail on receiver and nothing more than a fibre optic front sight over a 20" vent rib barrel. With that set up I could shoot anything ...including playing at trap or skeet despite short barrel.

As for defense/tactical use ...personally I would not feel handicapped in any way without all the junk on the barrel and am confident students using the M@ in defensive training IMO will be better off as well. M2 also is a great gun and with auto loaders ...Benelli has always been and will remain my first choice.

Understand ...there is no "one gun" for everything - which is a good thing as one can never have too many guns!

Hope this helps a little.

Powg is out.

The key to success in shooting is, and will always be "QUALITY - PRACTICED - REPETITIVE - ACTIONS"
Old 12-22-2011, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My m4 is a hoot for clays and a joy with slugs or full load 00.

Ps you can change the choke. But I have not found it necessary to do so.

The anti says "no one needs a 30 round magazine".

Reginald Denny (and quite a few others) might disagree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_SgpyJWRY
Old 12-22-2011, 8:17 PM

m2 all the way, I have handed both and just love the lighter M2.
Old 12-27-2011, 3:45 PM

M2 owner here. My advice is (surprise) to get the M2. M4 is cool but the M2 with Comfortech and the regular grip is the cat's meow to me. Pistol grip on a 12-guage was just too much wrist pain for me. You can always add toys to the M2 if you want. Mesa Tactical makes a receiver-mounted picatinny rail for red dot / optics. The receiver is pre-drilled for mounting this rail. Nordic Components makes a barrel / mag tube clamp that has picatinny rails for mounting lights, lasers, whatever you want. Not to mention extended mag tubes.

If you do get the M2, and want to go the multiple-barrel route (one for clay games, one for home defense) my advice would be to buy the gun with the longer barrel first, then get the 18.5" barrel on GunBroker. I bought mine in the 18.5" tactical configuration and I'm having a hell of a time finding a longer barrel for it. Well, there are some available, but all in camo...which I don't necessarily want. By contrast there are always a number of 18.5" barrels for sale. Or just go for a single 22" barrel and be done with it.
Old 12-30-2011, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the advice!
Old 12-31-2011, 1:19 PM

The M4 is a better defense weapon. I own an M4 and an M1. When I hand the M1 to somone who hasnt shot it, the first 2 or 3 rounds are almost allways stove pipes because most people dont naturally choke up on the gun and shoulder it in a way that provides enough support for the recoil powered action to work. Granted, I can shoot the gun without a single hiccup because I know how to shoulder it they way it likes.

The M4 on the other hand works in anyone's hands the first time. My M1 stays in the safe until we are going to shoot clays. The M4 is on guard duty under the bed.

EDIT: My wife loves the M1 for its light weight. Even though the recoil is a little heavier, she loves that she can handle it and swing it around without a problem. The M4 is quite a bit heavier.

Last edited by AM9000; 12-31-2011 at 1:23 PM..
Old 12-31-2011, 2:41 PM

I have a M2 Salient. Great gun. Everything runs thru it. Mine is set up for 3 Gun. 8+1 and I could put a longer mag tube to 10+1. Most all 3 gunners use the M2 over the M4.
Old 12-31-2011, 2:47 PM

M3 FTW
Old 12-31-2011, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

I took my M4 out and did some trap shooting and it took some getting used to because of the ghost ring sights. I think if you plan on shooting slugs sights are a must but for HD a bead or a FOS is all you need and are actually much faster something I learned shooting trap with ghost ring sights.

I've never shot an M2 but I can't imagine recoil being a problem if I'm not mistaken the M2 has an adjustable gas system which will help you tune it to cycle low brass reliably. My M4 is picky with certain lots and manufactures of low brass and some low recoil buck the M4 is tuned for combat loads the M2 IMO seems like more of a jack of all trades.

I will never sell my M4 though the action is like its riding on ball bearings and the recoil with full power 00 and slugs is almost no existent everyone that has shot it loves it until I tell them the price and all the upgrades I've done to it
Old 12-31-2011, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
I took my M4 out and did some trap shooting and it took some getting used to because of the ghost ring sights. I think if you plan on shooting slugs sights are a must but for HD a bead or a FOS is all you need and are actually much faster something I learned shooting trap with ghost ring sights.

I've never shot an M2 but I can't imagine recoil being a problem if I'm not mistaken the M2 has an adjustable gas system which will help you tune it to cycle low brass reliably. My M4 is picky with certain lots and manufactures of low brass and some low recoil buck the M4 is tuned for combat loads the M2 IMO seems like more of a jack of all trades.

I will never sell my M4 though the action is like its riding on ball bearings and the recoil with full power 00 and slugs is almost no existent everyone that has shot it loves it until I tell them the price and all the upgrades I've done to it
The M2 is an inertia system; it is not adjustable. With a lighter load like 7 1/2 1 oz birdshot, it might not always cycle reliably. Some people have a gunsmith lighten the bolt in their 3-gun shotguns but I wouldn't do this for a defensive shotgun.

You are right, the M4 is a sweet shooting gun, can run full power slugs all day. The M2 (even with Comfortech stock) kicks pretty hard with this kind of ammo.

For a multi-purpose shotgun, the M2 is more versatile with the various types of barrels available. The M4 would not be a great trap gun.
Old 12-31-2011, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
The M2 is an inertia system; it is not adjustable. With a lighter load like 7 1/2 1 oz birdshot, it might not always cycle reliably. Some people have a gunsmith lighten the bolt in their 3-gun shotguns but I wouldn't do this for a defensive shotgun.

You are right, the M4 is a sweet shooting gun, can run full power slugs all day. The M2 (even with Comfortech stock) kicks pretty hard with this kind of ammo.

For a multi-purpose shotgun, the M2 is more versatile with the various types of barrels available. The M4 would not be a great trap gun.
Swap the recoil spring in the 'Tactical' for a 'Field' and it will eat lighter loads with no problems.
Old 12-31-2011, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Swap the recoil spring in the 'Tactical' for a 'Field' and it will eat lighter loads with no problems.
Hm, didn't know about the different recoil springs, thanks.

I do have an M2 Field, and it doesn't always like 1oz 7 1/2 bird. 1 1/8 oz bird runs great.

Should add it has no problems with low recoil slugs or low recoil buckshot (or full power slugs or buckshot for that matter).

Last edited by esskay; 01-01-2012 at 6:42 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

I love my benelli m2 tactical. I got mine with the comfortech and ghost ring sights (i sometimes wish I got the rifle sights for longer distance slug shooting) and it is a joy to run. I'm running a Mesa tactical 6 shell carrier on the receiver, all the Dave's metal works enhanced controls and his 7 round tube extension. So far I have not one malfunction, even with heavy slugs in all 6 slots, loaded tube with Federal military buck and shooting the winlite winchester low recoil stuff. It eats up all the Walmart universal loads and low recoil slugs from Winchester and fiochi. I'm even impressed with the patterns of the federal military buck at 15 yards and how tight it stays.

My experience with the M4, while limited have also been good but the gas system and the price difference makes me glad I went with the M2.

Last edited by ArkinDomino; 01-02-2012 at 4:15 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 AM

I've shot handthrown clays (what I call "hillbilly skeet") with my M2 tactical. Ghost ring sights are not ideal as others have said, but not the end of the world. They a great for shooing rifled slugs however.

Contrary to what people on forums told me, the gun cycled 1 oz birdshot just fine. I've never had a stovepipe or any sort of failures ever, but then again I have never tried ultralite reduced recoil birdshot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM9000 View Post
The M4 is a better defense weapon. I own an M4 and an M1. When I hand the M1 to somone who hasnt shot it, the first 2 or 3 rounds are almost allways stove pipes because most people dont naturally choke up on the gun and shoulder it in a way that provides enough support for the recoil powered action to work. Granted, I can shoot the gun without a single hiccup because I know how to shoulder it they way it likes.
I have a problem with this statement because it implies that this gun is finnicky with how you hold it. If you limpwrist ANY semiauto handgun OR shotgun, you could induce malfunctions. This is not unique to the M1/M2. A proper grip and holding it reasonably firmly back against your shoulder is all you need whether your gun says Benelli, Beretta, Remington, or anything else on the side. Practice mounting the gun a few times and this will become second nature to you. Gas-cycled guns will be less prone to these types of malfunctions but have other drawbacks. Also, not holding a shotgun back against your shoulder properly is a great recipe for getting beat up by the recoil. Sure you'll survive that, but in a defensive situation your ability to make follow-up shots would be significantly compromised. Better to learn to hold a gun properly regardless of what type of action it is than to buy a heavier more expensive gun specifically to fix a problem that you should train yourself out of anyway. IMHO.

ETA: I'm not getting on your case AM9000, just trying to put what you said in context for any shotgun newbies.

ETA2: There are many legitimate reasons to buy an M4 or other gas-operated shotgun over an M2 or other recoil-operated shotgun. My opinion above is that minimizing failures to feed or eject due to improper hold shouldn't be one of them. These Benellis are some of the best semi-auto shotguns available and reliability of both should be excellent.

Last edited by Rumline; 01-02-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I have a problem with this statement because it implies that this gun is finnicky with how you hold it. If you limpwrist ANY semiauto handgun OR shotgun, you could induce malfunctions. This is not unique to the M1/M2. A proper grip and holding it reasonably firmly back against your shoulder is all you need whether your gun says Benelli, Beretta, Remington, or anything else on the side.
The M2 is still a great auto loader, but for a defensive situation I would want an M4 over a recoil only operated shotgun, if I had the choice *(and I do because I own both). Not saying your M2 isn't really deadly. It just cant do what is pictured below and that is the reason the M4 was chosen by Socom and the Marine core - The inertia system has that one drawback... you must be holding it in a way that provides a solid backstop for the recoil for it to reliably feed the next round.

Last edited by AM9000; 01-02-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 9:43 PM

I only have two boxes of experience with my M4 and can hardly qualify that as experience. I went the full 922r conversion and feel confident in saying the FN SLP will do the same for half the price, no regrets though. The M4 cycles very quickly, has considerable kick with full power 1oz slugs and as such I can't see myself pulling off a fast/accurate second shot in less than second. Reduced loads would be essential for HD, perhaps something to consider with the M2.

I'm sure both guns have a lever that allows you to swap the chambered round out without feeding out of the tube, that's my favorite feature. The ghost rings are great. Easily able to make 100y hits on steel all day while standing. The pistol grip seems to make transitions very fast.

Lastly, I have zero M2 time...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 AM

tag

FOR SALE-> STEEL PEPPER POPPER TARGETS

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-03-2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Edge View Post
I only have two boxes of experience with my M4 and can hardly qualify that as experience. I went the full 922r conversion and feel confident in saying the FN SLP will do the same for half the price, no regrets though. The M4 cycles very quickly, has considerable kick with full power 1oz slugs and as such I can't see myself pulling off a fast/accurate second shot in less than second. Reduced loads would be essential for HD, perhaps something to consider with the M2.

I'm sure both guns have a lever that allows you to swap the chambered round out without feeding out of the tube, that's my favorite feature. The ghost rings are great. Easily able to make 100y hits on steel all day while standing. The pistol grip seems to make transitions very fast.

Lastly, I have zero M2 time...
M2 and M4 have similar manual of arms.

Maybe your M4 needs to break in some more, I found recoil with full power loads to fine. In terms of recoil, IME, M4 > SLP > M2 > M1
Old 01-03-2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM9000 View Post
Great, I can just see all the tacticool wannabees at the range next week trying to shoot a shotgun that way after seeing this picture. Seriously if you are in a home defense scenario engaged in such CQB that you are trying to take cover around a corner and shoot a shotgun parallel to your chest with arms extended, you are severely F***ed. If not by the bad guy then by a lawyer because your Rambo spray and pray tactics completely missed the bad guy and ended up killing Grandma next door. If you (I'm addressing the shotgun newbies here) want to use a shotgun for home defense, please take a defensive shotgun class from a reputable trainer.

Hey M4s are awesome and they have their uses. If I could afford it I would have one in addition to my M2. You're right that the flexibility in selecting projectiles afforded by the gas block is why they were selected by the Marine Corps, however it's not a perfect solution for everybody. The difference in cycling reliability between the M2 and M4 is overemphasized IMHO compared to other ergonomic or capability considerations. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Rumline; 01-03-2012 at 5:17 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Great, I can just see all the tacticool wannabees at the range next week trying to shoot a shotgun that way after seeing this picture. Seriously if you are in a home defense scenario engaged in such CQB that you are trying to take cover around a corner and shoot a shotgun parallel to your chest with arms extended, you are severely F***ed. If not by the bad guy then by a lawyer because your Rambo spray and pray tactics completely missed the bad guy and ended up killing Grandma next door. If you (I'm addressing the shotgun newbies here) want to use a shotgun for home defense, please take a defensive shotgun class from a reputable trainer.

Hey M4s are awesome and they have their uses. If I could afford it I would have one in addition to my M2. You're right that the flexibility in selecting projectiles afforded by the gas block is why they were selected by the Marine Corps, however it's not a perfect solution for everybody. The difference in cycling reliability between the M2 and M4 is overemphasized IMHO compared to other ergonomic or capability considerations. That's all I'm saying.
He's shooting that? I thought he was just punching holes in the cardboard by hitting it with the muzzle.

My M4 has cycled everything from cheapo target 7's to full load 00 so far. It's also dead nuts on with slugs.

We bought a 20g M2 field for my wife. It's a hoot to shoot as well and cycles everything we've tried. No 00 yet, and while the slugs cycled fine accuracy was lacking. (Might have been too tight a choke.)

I don't see how you could go wrong with either M4 or M2.
Old 01-03-2012, 7:11 PM
Dinosaur

Are the M2 and M4 Benelli imported models?

(I spent $$$ and time getting enough US made parts so my M1 and M3 could legally have 7 and 8 round mag tubes)

If I were doing it again, I'd go domestic for a tactical shotgun and outfit an M1 (M2 now) for sport shooting.
Old 01-03-2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Great, I can just see all the tacticool wannabees at the range next week trying to shoot a shotgun that way after seeing this picture.
I thought he was demonstrating the virtues of the gas powered action... at least that's why I posted the photo.

Bottom line - you cant go wrong with a Benelli. As the OP stated he is trying to decide between the two options. If he is only buying one shotgun and has a desire to use this shotgun to shoot skeet, the M2 is probably the better option.
Old 01-05-2012, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Are the M2 and M4 Benelli imported models?

(I spent $$$ and time getting enough US made parts so my M1 and M3 could legally have 7 and 8 round mag tubes)

If I were doing it again, I'd go domestic for a tactical shotgun and outfit an M1 (M2 now) for sport shooting.
Are there any US made M2 or M4's?
Old 01-05-2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Are there any US made M2 or M4's?
Sorry, no.