Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-22-2011, 3:13 PM
wash's Avatar
wash wash is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sillycon valley
Posts: 9,020
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Blog Entries: 13
Default Sorry no pics but I still want to brag... (Belgian Browning takedown)

I just picked up my C&R Browning.

I got it cheap.

It has a few issues. The butt stock has a good size chunk missing on the receiver side, the butt plate is missing and the butt end is a little damaged too. The barrel adjuster/lock is missing some detents and springs. The forearm has a couple gouges. Lastly the rear sight is missing a tiny leaf spring that either locks it up or down.

None of those issues should keep it from shooting. The replacement small parts will cost about $80, I plan to try fixing the stock myself and the forearm gouges I'm going to leave alone.

It didn't come with a case but I think I have found something that will work well.

It will make a very nice pack gun and will be good for teaching beginners to shoot.

The bore looks excellent which is a minor surprise. The bluing is better than I expected too.

I'm going to have to go to the range soon.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-22-2011, 4:10 PM
foesgth's Avatar
foesgth foesgth is offline
Poor Gun Trash
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I have a basement too...
Posts: 403
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default You lucky dog

I've got one and they are great rifles. They carry and balance super. I finally broke down and put a scope on mine this year. Now if we could only find a couple of the original Browning wooden carry cases we would be styling.
__________________
"...Cities may be rebuilt, and a People reduced to Poverty, may acquire fresh Property: But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrendered their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it."
John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-22-2011, 5:55 PM
thenodnarb's Avatar
thenodnarb thenodnarb is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 2,603
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I assume you're talking about this:

My dad has one an it doesn't mate together well. It actually wobbles to the point that it would probably group 20" at 100 yds! I put some paper between the threads where it takes down. That helps and tightens it up, but I don't think it helps with repeatability of zero. Its a beautiful gun and is very fun to shoot when its accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2011, 7:09 PM
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 11,035
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodnarb View Post
I assume you're talking about this:

My dad has one an it doesn't mate together well. It actually wobbles to the point that it would probably group 20" at 100 yds! I put some paper between the threads where it takes down. That helps and tightens it up, but I don't think it helps with repeatability of zero. Its a beautiful gun and is very fun to shoot when its accurate.
Is there a chance you're doing it wrong - I was for the longest time. I came close to selling the thing before I paid attention & got it right. Now it locks up solid.

I thought the way to secure the barrel to the frame was to turn it in and then sock down the barrel nut tight as hell. No matter what I did the thing would loosen up and wobble. Then I re-read on line instructions and realized you're supposed to turn the barrel nut down while the barrel is off the frame then once adjusted turn the barrel on to the frame.

I started out with the barrel nut turned down too far and worked back one click at a time. If the barrel starts out too loose, turn the barrel nut down one click at a time. When done right the barrel will turn tight just as the locking lever makes it to the locking lever cut in the receiver.

I set mine up to require a pretty strong torque. I'm certain to hold the gun by the receiver when applying pressure, holding the stock can allow the stock to turn separately from the receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Remus Remus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 342
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Good find, I was always hoping to find a beater Browning SA for backpacking, cute little things are just too darn rare.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
capitol's Avatar
capitol capitol is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I live in California
Posts: 2,213
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

deal with it

__________________
I don't need Google because my wife knows everything
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
thenodnarb's Avatar
thenodnarb thenodnarb is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 2,603
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Is there a chance you're doing it wrong - I was for the longest time. I came close to selling the thing before I paid attention & got it right. Now it locks up solid.

I thought the way to secure the barrel to the frame was to turn it in and then sock down the barrel nut tight as hell. No matter what I did the thing would loosen up and wobble. Then I re-read on line instructions and realized you're supposed to turn the barrel nut down while the barrel is off the frame then once adjusted turn the barrel on to the frame.

I started out with the barrel nut turned down too far and worked back one click at a time. If the barrel starts out too loose, turn the barrel nut down one click at a time. When done right the barrel will turn tight just as the locking lever makes it to the locking lever cut in the receiver.

I set mine up to require a pretty strong torque. I'm certain to hold the gun by the receiver when applying pressure, holding the stock can allow the stock to turn separately from the receiver.
Thanks, I'll try that next time I go out. Figures that I was doing something wrong. Now I want to borrow it for my next outing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
foesgth's Avatar
foesgth foesgth is offline
Poor Gun Trash
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I have a basement too...
Posts: 403
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default Okay, Okay I'll fix it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
deal with it

Mine isn't a cool Belgian like the OP but I don't want to frustrate you with no gun P*rn. These rifles are very accurate. Download the manual from the Browning site and review how to assemble. If it won't stay locked up you have lost some of the detent parts. This is pretty easy to do. If I do have any thing bad to say about this rifle it is easy to lose part when taking it apart. I have lost the bullet stop several times. Midway stocks all the part for this rifle so they are easy to fix. Here ya go... on the tail gate of my Datsun truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa22.jpg (85.6 KB, 16 views)
__________________
"...Cities may be rebuilt, and a People reduced to Poverty, may acquire fresh Property: But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrendered their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it."
John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 PM
wash's Avatar
wash wash is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sillycon valley
Posts: 9,020
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Blog Entries: 13
Default

I just ordered a case for my Browning:



Hopefully it will fit and I'll let you know once it gets here.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:30 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.