Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Default Bullet button fixed mag kit question..

This question has the potential for me to be flamed..so I come in peace.

Just wondering, I have the Monster Man set up on my OLL. I am not familiar with the Bullet button; so I don't know how much pressure is needed to push on the Bullet button mag setup. Just wondering, I was reading on SigForum someone posted a safety alert, about constantly rechambering the same round, may lead to Kaboom, due to the bullet being further seated into the case with each rechambering.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc.../613102168/p/1

The questions I have is three fold.

1. Is there a lot of pressure required to push on the bullet button mag kit?
2. If so, will this cause problems with 5.56 ammo? I have never reloaded before, so I don't know if there is room for the bullet to be further pushed back into the case.
3. Was that safety bulletin, just internet hoccus pokus?

Last edited by creampuff; 03-08-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

You're running a MM grip, a bullet button, AND a fixed mag ???

Cool.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
You're running a MM grip, a bullet button, AND a fixed mag ???

Cool.
whoops,..edited my original post . My 2 year old is sitting on my lap while I am typing, so I have to type quick before her fingers get to it.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
1. Is there a lot of pressure required to push on the bullet button mag kit?
2. If so, will this cause problems with 5.56 ammo? I have never reloaded before, so I don't know if there is room for the bullet to be further pushed back into the case.
3. Was that safety bulletin, just internet hoccus pokus?
Okay, makes more sense now -- I couldn't figure out why you'd be running all 3 of those, unless you were a very, very careful, paranoid man...

1. I think it takes far LESS pressure to push in the bullet-release center-section part of the Bullet Button (using a tool) than it takes to push in a regular mag catch button (using your finger or thumb). Mine doesn't take much pressure at all, and the mag drops right out. I imagine you could install a different spring if you wanted, to change the amount of pressure that the stock spring provides.

2. Don't understand this question. Why would you be re-chambering the same round over and over? What situtation would this happen?

3. I can't comment on that, having not read the bulletin (gotta get back to work!).
Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post

2. Don't understand this question. Why would you be re-chambering the same round over and over? What situtation would this happen?
I tend to use snap caps at home to make sure the handgun/rifle is chambering the round correctly. But for those who carry on duty/CCW/or keep a round in the chamber, I can see that they would cycle out the round in the chamber, clean the gun or store it, and then later chamber that identical round back into the chamber again.

This scenario really doesn't apply to me, just wondering in theory.

shhhhhh...don't tell the wife, what I really do, is drop the mag, fire the one remaining round into the ceiling, and then I continue onto cleaning the gun, I live in a single story house, so no one will get hurt upstairs.

Last edited by creampuff; 03-08-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old 03-08-2007, 1:01 PM
Banned

Does the roof leak when it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I tend to use snap caps at home to make sure the handgun/rifle is chambering the round correctly. But for those who carry on duty/CCW/or keep a round in the chamber, I can see that they would cycle out the round in the chamber, clean the gun or store it, and then later chamber that identical round back into the chamber again.

This scenario really doesn't apply to me, just wondering in theory.

shhhhhh...don't tell the wife, what I really do, is drop the mag, fire the one remaining round into the ceiling, and then I continue onto cleaning the gun, I live in a single story house, so no one will get hurt upstairs.
Old 03-08-2007, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You will not push the projo into the case too far if using it with the BULLET-BUTTON. After using the Cartridge as a tool, it will still be safe to fire in a rifle.

The mag drops out after about 4 pounds of pressure.

To seat the projo into the case would take much more than 4 pounds.

The rechambering issue has nothing at all to do with the BULLET-BUTTON, but I can help with an answer.

As to rechambering the same round over and over, it can push the projo into the case if the feed ramps are rough, or the mag is not centering the rounds correctly. The spring pushing the bolt and bullet into the chamber is STRONG, and has good momentum by the time it picks up the loaded cartridge.

It can happen the very first time you chamber if somthing is out of whack on your rifle. My Hess HAR-25 does it every time, with the Armalite upper, because the magazine is at the wrong angle. I need to fix that per the instructions on this board. Again, nothing to do with the BULLET-BUTTON, but you asked.

In summary, you need not worry about seating a projo too far into the case if using it as a tool to operate the BULLET-BUTTON.

Darin
Old 03-08-2007, 5:23 PM

i use my truck / car / mail / gunlock keys to push my BB. it doesnt have to be a bullet tip
Old 03-08-2007, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince50 View Post
It can happen the very first time you chamber if somthing is out of whack on your rifle. My Hess HAR-25 does it every time, with the Armalite upper, because the magazine is at the wrong angle. I need to fix that per the instructions on this board. Again, nothing to do with the BULLET-BUTTON, but you asked.
Darin
I think there are various versions of Armalite AR-10 magazines in circulation. I've got three older mags that function perfectly. I recently purchased two other mags. They are obviously from different batches. One functions perfectly and the other causes "nosedives' because it sits in the magwell at a different angle.
Old 03-08-2007, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Since I new to AR and will be putting my first build with a bullet button, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about and would like to be educated on this matter. A picture would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince50 View Post
You will not push the projo into the case too far if using it with the BULLET-BUTTON. After using the Cartridge as a tool, it will still be safe to fire in a rifle.

The mag drops out after about 4 pounds of pressure.

To seat the projo into the case would take much more than 4 pounds.
Old 03-09-2007, 8:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

neomedic,

This topic has nothing to do with the BULLET-BUTTON, or your pending build.

The topic starter was making a connection with using the bullet/cartridge, as a tool, and pushing the projectile too far into the case.

It was a slightly confusing question in the form it was asked.

Do not worry, The BULLET-BUTTON cannot push projectiles into the case,

Stated as a completly seperate issue pertaining to rifle builds, a quality magazine, and lower will never mis-feed your ammo and damage it.

The AR-10 example I used had nothing to do with the BULLET-BUTTON either. My issue is with the Hesse lower, and Armalite upper. They do not work together right out of the box, and require magazine modifications.

To fill you in on Cartidge issues, You can create an overpressure condition if you push the Projo into the case, so it shoud not be done. If any rifle/pistol of any caliber or design pushed projos into the case during chambering, it should be taken to a gunsmith. This applies to anything from a Ruger 10/22 .22LR, to a Barrett 82A1 .50BMG.

THIS ISSUE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BULLET-BUTTON. It is safe to use a loaded cartridge as a tool with the BULLET-BUTTON.

Darin