Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Best 10 22 Scope Under $150 +/-?

Hi guys,

After many months of hoping for deal here and not wanting to wait any longer for it. I finally purchased a Ruger stainless steel carbine 10 22 (KA10/22RBPRBT) at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $317 (Tax & DROS included). I plan on heading to the range with it and a Noveske N4 Light Recce to start the New Year with my own fireworks. I am planning to keep it stock with the exception of mounting a scope and sling with the purpose of small game hunting/survival rifle. I am trying to keep the budget below $150 or less. However, I am open to opportunity and would even consider spending a few more dollars for better quality and features. I would like the scope to work well within 50 - 100 yards and with good light transmission, brightness and zoom power. I know that there are a ton of choices out there like Simmons, Barska, Leapers, BSA, Weaver, the list goes on.. But where does one begin to make the decision? On top of all of that, there's the next set of questions like Illuminated Reticle? Mildot? BDC? Nikoplex? Help please! Thanks in advance fellas.
2268 Westborough Blvd Ste 302 #406
South San Francisco, CA 94080
www.famousfurnishings.us
Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/famous-furni...-san-francisco
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

i love my BSA "Sweet 22" 6-18x40, im also in the bay area and i shoot at sunnyvale rod and gun and los altos rod and gun a good amount if you want to come try out the BSA sometime, i also have a $40 barska you can try.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have some of the Simmons .22Mag scopes and like them. They have a 4x32, 3-9x32 and a 3-9x32 AO. You can usually find some pretty good deals on them on eBay.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the offer dirtykoala! I'd like to go shoot but haven't been able to due to holiday madness at my store. Before, I get to rifle out of jail and with the help of fellow Calgunners like you. I would like do some research and order a scope based on proven reliability & function and popularity poll. Sorry if it sounds crazy but I am hoping to go the very day my schedule allows it and get acquainted with them. I own a retail furniture and mattress store in South San Francisco, let me know if there's anything I can do for you. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Leon
www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

I love my Simmons .22Mag scope!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ View Post
Thanks for the offer dirtykoala! I'd like to go shoot but haven't been able to due to holiday madness at my store. Before, I get to rifle out of jail and with the help of fellow Calgunners like you. I would like do some research and order a scope based on proven reliability & function and popularity poll. Sorry if it sounds crazy but I am hoping to go the very day my schedule allows it and get acquainted with them. I own a retail furniture and mattress store in South San Francisco, let me know if there's anything I can do for you. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Leon
actually... i do need some outdoor furniture.

heres a good place to start looking for scopes.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/rimfire/cat~21

this has good reviews and seems meets your needs-
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-pr...0-reticle.html

you might want a little more zoom to get out to 100 yrds though, 9 might be fine for you, but i like having more-
http://www.opticsplanet.net/mueller-...iflescope.html

Heres the "sweet 22" that i have and love.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bsa-opti...-s22618x4.html

it has a dedicated .22 turret with different common bullet grains. if youre shooting 38gr at 50 yards, you just line up the "38gr" to the "50 yard" mark, then if you switch to 40gr at 100yds, you move the turret to "40gr" at the "100yrds" mark, and it works pretty well, you might need to make a couple of adjustments to get it perfect, but it makes adjusting much easier. it also has a side focus, quick focus, comes with a sun shade, "zero resets", and i think its very clear with good light transmission. not as good as leupold, but thats a given.

Last edited by dirtykoala; 12-21-2011 at 12:23 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestion SoCal Bob. I'll mark one up for Simmons .22 Mag. I think some of them were on display at Big 5 and will look at it again.

I did find this scope for $99.95 (Tax and Shipping Included?)on Amazon

Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 4 x 32 Black Matte Riflescope (Nikoplex)

I still would need to get rings to mount or can get this one for $149.95(Don't know if shipping and tax is included?) from www.mountsplus.com

Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC 150 with FREE Weaver Style Scope Rings

Or add $10.00 and get the other version of it with Nikoplex

Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 3-9x40 Nikoplex with FREE Weaver Style Scope Rings

Any thoughts?

Thanks and Happy Holidays
www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 AM

I currently have a BSA 6-24x40 mil-dot on my 10/22 that I picked up for about $100 after shipping. Looks a little ridiculous with a 3 inch sun shade, but at the range I was shooting the 8 inch metal gong at 100 yards standing with a slight breeze. It has solid turrets and has a great tactile feedback and is capable of tracking on target. I could even reach out to the 200 yard gong, but the wind was too much for the little .22lr round; the mildots helps me find the target.

I also have a Simmons 6-16x40 on my Savage .223 that works well. If you're just going to use it at the range 50-100 yards just about anything for $100 will do fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that the $100 rimfire and .223 scopes will not be as nice as the $1000+ nikon, leupold, nightforce, swarofski, whatevers. But you should also keep in mind the rifle you're putting it on; its a 10/22 shooting a .22lr round and you're not taking out insurgents in a theater of war. The returns on investment diminish greatly rather quickly and odds are if you spent $200 on glass instead of $100 you won't be shooting twice as well. You'll have as much fun with a 10/22 with a $60 scope as you would a $600 scope.

Want to buy: Revolver in .357mag or .22lr >3"bbl
Also want to buy Dan Wesson 15 barrel shrouds (.357)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion roushstage2. I'll mark another for Simmons .22 Mag. Cool signature. All Magpul (CTR/MOE Grip/MOE Handguard/MOE MVG/AAC Blackout) here too on my N4.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 1:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion OutlawStar(Cool name, Cowboy Bebop Ship?). I'll mark another for BSA. I absolutely agree with you and am not one to disregard a functional inexpensive scope or buy because of branding thinking it's going to improve my shot. I will be spending top dollar on the scope that calls for it like my future N6 .308 project. I think the "Sweet 22" 6-18x40 with Adjustable Objective for $82.94 from Amazon (Tax & Shipping Included?) is on the top contender representing for BSA for now.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 6:16 AM

The Nikon Prostaffs are excellent scopes..We have one on an AR22 and a 5.56 AR..They hold zero and have lifetime warranty..Another good option is a Redfield now made by Leopold,as they are right in that 150.00 range and are great little scopes too...
Old 12-21-2011, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion SoCal Bob. I'll mark one up for Simmons .22 Mag. I think some of them were on display at Big 5 and will look at it again.

I did find this scope for $99.95 (Tax and Shipping Included?)on Amazon

Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 4 x 32 Black Matte Riflescope (Nikoplex)

I still would need to get rings to mount or can get this one for $149.95(Don't know if shipping and tax is included?) from www.mountsplus.com

Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC 150 with FREE Weaver Style Scope Rings

Any thoughts?

Yep, from your list do yourself a huge favor and look through a Nikon. The clarity and major eye relief, when compared to other scopes in this price range, will be very noticeable to you. They hold zero and also work very well in lower light conditions.
This advice comes from someone with scopes from:
Barska, Weaver, Nikon, and Leupold.
Old 12-21-2011, 7:02 AM

I would advise you to look at all the Simmons scopes on Amazon. I have a Simmons 4x12 Prohunter on one of my .22's. They range from $69-169.00 on amazon. I also have a few .22 Mag scopes too. The Nikons are made in the PI just like the Simmons and I see no clear difference in quality.
The Bushnell Elites are being changed out, good time to pick one up cheap if your patient.
Old 12-21-2011, 7:37 AM
Banned

Nikon prostaff with BDC on my .223. Awesome scope for the money. Would not hesitate to buy more. BDC works like a charm. The x-hairs (ovals) are small , easy to see and don't block the target.
Simmons 22mag 4x on the 10/22 is very good. Not one problem in 3 years and 5000rnds.

Now if the Nikon was available in BDC for .22 when I needed a scope , I absolutely would get one . If needed.
Old 12-21-2011, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149...-reticle-matte
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Dirtykoala,

Please send me an email (famousfurnishings@yahoo.com)with your outdoor furniture criteria (Design? Material? Size? People to seat? Saw something somewhere you like?) and I will do my homework for you.

Thanks for sending me the link to Optics Planet. I started out this thread because of sites like that.. Too much to choose from!

I did notice the same Nikon scope link that you sent and am interested to hear what other Calgunners have to say about BDC versus Nikoplex in a .22 application not 5.56 or larger caliber. I have given some thought in getting a scope that can be mounted on either my 10 22 or AR (Currently running with iron sights and looking into getting Eotech 557 & G23 combo). Please send me your thoughts fellas. Thanks

I like the all the features of the BSA Sweet .22, side focus, turret settings and pricing at $139.99 (Sorry, I mentioned the wrong model for $82.94 in a reply to OutlawStar) is very tempting. Definitely a top contender.
www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks for your suggestions AR22 & DG29. I will mark 2 up for Nikon and look into Redfield. I was hoping for some feedback for the Prostaff series since they have such high reviews and especially the advertised 98% light transmission rate. I really would like to know more about BDC versus Nikoplex in the .22 application and larger calibers. I would not mind spending a little more to have the option of a scope for my AR if ever needed.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Jagacida. I will mark another for Simmons. Good to know the Nikon and Simmons relation. I don't think I have the patience to wait for a Bushnell Elite deal cause they are still in the $400 plus range but I will keep my eyes open for it.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Coyote Brown. I will mark another one for Nikon and Simmons. I was looking at the following for $149.95 (Tax & Shipping Included?) from www.mountsplus.com:

Any thoughts?

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM

I have a bushnell banner and a mueller APV. i like both but the APV is really nice!

http://sniperrifle.org/
Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 PM

I have a Simmons 22MAG AO and love it, but for the same price ($50) I should've gotten the Simmons 4-12x40 ProSport Riflescope AO Truplex Reticle Matte and now they have a $10 off rebate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillAllGuns View Post
Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.

Last edited by call-in; 12-21-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Head Janitor

For lower magnification I have a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell on a 795 that I set up for Appleseed shoots.
http://www.opticsale.com/bushnell-ba...7c027_d_711545

DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion DesertSniper. I will mark one up for Bushnell and Mueller and look into the APV. I think dirtykoala also sent me a link for the Mueller scope also.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Call-in. I will mark another one for Simmons .22 Mag. I have yet to return to Big 5 to check them both out again.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Kestryll. I will mark another for Bushnell Banner. I have heard a lot about Appleseed shoots and it's mission. I would like to participate one day when my schedule allows it and maybe bring my children when they are old enough so they can be taught heritage and shooting virtue.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions AR22 & DG29. I will mark 2 up for Nikon and look into Redfield. I was hoping for some feedback for the Prostaff series since they have such high reviews and especially the advertised 98% light transmission rate. I really would like to know more about BDC versus Nikoplex in the .22 application and larger calibers. I would not mind spending a little more to have the option of a scope for my AR if ever needed.

I use the BDC on the Prostaff thats mounted on my .223 and it works great..The one we have on my Sons CMMG AR22 is just the Nikoplex reticle..I believe they make a BDC .22 rimfire version so cannot hurt to get it as it is the same price I believe...We just have the Nikoplex reticle on the .22 as they never had the BDC in when we bought the scope.

One thing to watch out for if decide to go the Prostaff route..There are alot of "older" models of the Nikon Prostaffs still floating around..The differance between the new and old will be obvious in one aspect,not so much in other details..The old ones need a coin or screwdriver to adjust the turrets,the new ones have finger turret adjustment knobs..Much nicer..The new recent model also had a couple other upgrades recently but cannot remember all they did but one was maybe the glass coating is better...

The older ones are still great as we own them too but the new ones are better with the finger turrets..

Last edited by AR22; 12-21-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 1:06 PM

Thanks for the info AR22. I didn't think BDC would be effective when applying on a 10 22. However, it is nice to know that it works great on your .223 and may weigh in as a deciding factor between which Nikon model to get. Great heads up on the model variants and will be looking out for such mentioned when buying. Thanks again!
www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 2:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do yourself a favor and get a good scope like a Weaver 2.5-7x28 Rimfire (~$130) or a Sightron S1 3-9x32 (~$120). That way you have a scope that has excellent glass and will last a lifetime.

Scope Ratings

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 12-21-2011 at 2:13 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 2:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Sholling. I will mark up first ones for Weaver and Sightron and look into them.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 3:30 PM
Banned

BDC is effective. Spot On as they say. the 150 yard recticle is perfect for the max range oval on a rimfire.
The center fire model is set to 500 yards.

The new turrets are real neat. I got the old style and did not feel ripped off till now learning of the new.

They are clear and bright. The BDC and price would make me get one for every rifle.
Old 12-21-2011, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can anyone comment on this Sweet 22 scope?

BSA Sweet .22 3 - 9x40 mm Scope Matte Black for $40.
Old 12-21-2011, 3:55 PM

The Mueller APV gets rave reviews from the guys on rimfirecentral. It's around 100-120, and they have them in stainless to match your receiver.
Old 12-21-2011, 3:57 PM

Thanks for the info Coyote Brown. I'm currently debating between BSA 6-18X40 Sweet 22 Rifle Scope with Side Parallax Adjustment and Multi-Grain Turret and the Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 3-9x40 Rimfire BDC 150 with FREE Weaver Style Scope Rings. How can one tell the difference between the older model versus the new one? Is there a series or model number to look out for? I noticed on Amazon and some other sites that there are similar models in name and description but priced a little different. Which one do I buy for Nikon?
www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 3:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranemech View Post
Can anyone comment on this Sweet 22 scope?

BSA Sweet .22 3 - 9x40 mm Scope Matte Black for $40.
They have 2 types of sweet 22. I'm not sure of the difference, their website might help more.

I went for the more expensive one, I like how it looked a little more, dunno about functional differences though
Old 12-21-2011, 4:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion r1ghtw1ng. I will mark another for Mueller APV. I am still in research and will follow up. Great to know that it comes in silver but I think I am going to keep whichever scope I end up with black for versatility.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 4:16 PM

Here is old version of the BSA Sweet 22 that might work for you
http://www.natchezss.com/catalog.cfm?catalogid=9d3a856a
page 18 BSA 6x18 for $50.00
Old version had focus ring on the back and comes with 3 difference turrets.

Last edited by Viper49; 12-21-2011 at 4:18 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 4:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion and link Viper49. Ill mark another one for BSA Sweet 22. Would you happen to know what the difference is with the old version and the new one besides $100? I would rather like to purchase the latest model of any scope in consideration to take advantage of new technological innovations.

www.famousfurnishings.us
Old 12-21-2011, 4:39 PM

I was in your shoes last year looking for a scope for my Marlin .22. I purchased a BSA Sweet .22 and the thing was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for my rifle. Think Hubble telescope. ....The scope + mount felt like it weighed almost as much as the damn rifle. Before I even took the scope to the range, I sold it here on Calguns. If you plan on sitting on the bench supported when you shoot, fine go x16. If you want to shoot offhand/unsupported should look for something with less magnification and smaller objective. The smaller objective will keep weight down as well as allow you to run lower scope rings and still not have the scope interfere with the rear iron sight.

I think you received some decent advice from some fellows in this thread.

On the cheap end, pick up a Simmons 22 Mag.

Since you will probably make this purchase one time, I suggest spending all of your budget. I have used Simmons, Weaver, and Leupold with the Weaver and Leupold being worth the extra scratch over the Simmons.

Echoing other suggestions I would buy one of the following:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/734...-reticle-matte

or

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/564...-reticle-matte

If Christmas treats you well, pick up one of these. You can use a Midway or Cabelas coupon and knock a few bucks off. It IS worth spending a little extra for. Whats an extra $70 eh?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/569...-reticle-gloss

Look at the specs on the Leupold. It is short and very, very light weight when compared to the others. The smaller form factor makes the scope much more pleasurable to shoot off-hand. In going with the Leupold, I spent more money on the glass than I did my rifle which seemed crazy at the time. Buy once, cry once.....

Last comment, a x7 power is plenty of magnification to see bullet hits at 100yds.
Old 12-21-2011, 4:45 PM

I have the Simmons 22mag on my 10/22 mainly because it comes in silver, and was the only one I could find that way back when I bought it many moons ago (you can't put a big black scope on a pretty stainless gun with wood stock, it just doesn't look right.)

However I have been shopping for a 10/22 to customize and after seeing this Nikon with the BDC reticle I may have just decided the next 10/22 is blue instead of stainless

If they would offer that scope is Silver I am sold NOW! Anyone from Nikon read this site???
Old 12-21-2011, 4:48 PM

Old version is work like normal variable power scope with the exception that comes with the three turrets for difference grain of bullet weights. The new version use the side focus and the difference bullet weight are built in on the turret. I have the old version from Natchezss and they work fine. I do like that contender better becuase it can goes the AO are limit to 175 yards and for 10 dallors you get a 6X24. Just my two cents.