Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Default 223 Wylde chamber, can shoot .223 and 5.56?

Hey guys, just want to get some clarification on the 223 Wylde chamber. I have heard that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 marked barrel, but not 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel. I understand the difference in pressure from the 2 calibers. I'm looking at a 223 Wylde chamber upper and want to make sure what is safe to shoot, can you shoot both calibers without having to worry about the excessive pressure with the 5.56 caliber? Thanks in advance.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes.
.223 Wylde can fire both.

These are normally found in 1:8 stainless "competition" grade barrels, so they cost a little more, are a little more accurate, and don't last quite as long... but the Wylde is not exclusive to stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
... but the Wylde is not exclusive to stainless.
Who makes chrome lined wylde? Would love to try one out.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

RRA has one: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=387
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

You sure that's chrome lined?

Any idea if they sell the barrel alone?
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 12-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
You sure that's chrome lined?

Any idea if they sell the barrel alone?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=272
Old 12-17-2011, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm, perhaps it's not. Here they have a 20" Wylde, but one specifically says chrome lined: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=272
Old 12-17-2011, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
Those are NOT chrome lined wylde barrels.

Last edited by HK Dave; 12-17-2011 at 1:29 PM..
Old 12-17-2011, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

My ARP 4150CMV barrel is Wylde....................
Old 12-17-2011, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

ARP?
Old 12-17-2011, 3:19 PM

The Wylde chamber has a longer leade and freebore dimension.So you can shoot 556 with more accuracy.I do not understand why you take that gain away with chrome lining?
Old 12-17-2011, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Because I have everything else and am curious to try it?
Old 12-17-2011, 4:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

you dont need chrome lining. its for guys who dont know how to clean or dont have time to clean. a non-chrome lined barrel will not last as long, but you are talking about a few thousand less rounds when all is said and done. non-chrome lined will tend to me more accurate.

now get S&W to make a Wylde chamber 16" Melonite QPQ treated 4140CM barrel and you can say good buy to the 4150CMV chrome lined. There would be no real use for 4150CMV when that happens. Aa it stands now 4150CMV is nearly obsolete for a civilian or LEO.
Old 12-17-2011, 6:32 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
you dont need chrome lining. its for guys who dont know how to clean or dont have time to clean. a non-chrome lined barrel will not last as long, but you are talking about a few thousand less rounds when all is said and done. non-chrome lined will tend to me more accurate.

now get S&W to make a Wylde chamber 16" Melonite QPQ treated 4140CM barrel and you can say good buy to the 4150CMV chrome lined. There would be no real use for 4150CMV when that happens. Aa it stands now 4150CMV is nearly obsolete for a civilian or LEO.
Agree - the two terms are "cleaning" and if you use a rod "bore guide."

Melonite QPQ is a very good compliment to a high quality 41xx barrel and will outlast and outshoot 99% of riflemen!

R
Old 12-17-2011, 6:39 PM

2nd on a melonite Wylde barrel. I thought there would be obsolecense in 4150 cmv when armalite said a while back on high heat microcracking.
Old 12-17-2011, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve92407 View Post
2nd on a melonite Wylde barrel. I thought there would be obsolecense in 4150 cmv when armalite said a while back on high heat microcracking.
so did I. the micro-fractures sealed the deal for me. After that I saw no advantage to 4150CMV that 4140CM wasn't giving me. I am not fighting hordes of Nazi Zombies invading my house. 4140CM is fine.

I have tried to convince people here of this known flaw, but the fantasy of carbine fighting tactical response and carbine classes, SEAL operator training makes some guys a bit childish. many think you must have a 4150CMV or your firearm is just a toy gun. Ask them about the AUG, FAL/FN or AK47 with their 4140CM barrels and they leave the thread without responding. They don't want to hear the truth.
Old 12-17-2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
They don't want to hear the truth.
(not saying this applies to you)
Or in some cases they tire of the same old battles that they know there is no winning because some feel that saying something loud enough and often enough makes it true

Has "the chart" been updated yet now that Colt is again an option for California?

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-17-2011, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
(not saying this applies to you)
Or in some cases they tire of the same old battles that they know there is no winning because some feel that saying something loud enough and often enough makes it true

Has "the chart" been updated yet now that Colt is again an option for California?
Coke, what makes it true is science and fact. If you have a problem with that, I am sorry. Maybe some people (not saying this applies to you) need to take a science class at the community collage. Yes it like talking to the wall with many of the membership here. I continue to do it because many come here to find real information. I provide that. I will say the same thing 1,000,000 times in varying ways since everyday new members ask the same question.

Half the problem is that stupid chart which is filled with BS.
Old 12-17-2011, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve92407 View Post
The Wylde chamber has a longer leade and freebore dimension.So you can shoot 556 with more accuracy.I do not understand why you take that gain away with chrome lining?
Actually, 5.56 NATO has more freebore than Wylde.

The Wylde runs a bit tighter, which is why when you try to seat an 80gr SMK to the lands in a Wylde vs 5.56 NATO, the overall length of the cartridge is going to be longer with 5.56 NATO.

If you're not shooting competition High Power Service Rifle, I'd get 5.56 NATO over .223 Wylde. For a 'field' gun, I'd want 5.56 NATO for less issues with ammo (e.g. tight chamber on 'loose' ammo). The primary reason we High Power shooter use .223 Wylde is because of the long bullets for 600 yard slow fire (e.g. 80gr Sierra Match King, 80gr Sierra VLD, Hornady 75 or 80gr A-Max).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 12-17-2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Coke, what makes it true is science and fact. If you have a problem with that, I am sorry. Maybe some people (not saying this applies to you) need to take a science class at the community collage. Yes it like talking to the wall with many of the membership here. I continue to do it because many come here to find real information. I provide that. I will say the same thing 1,000,000 times in varying ways since everyday new members ask the same question.

Half the problem is that stupid chart which is filled with BS.
100% with you on the chart.

I won't even pretend to disagree with you on the metallurgical issues because I have absolutely zero knowledge on that aspect of barrel construction beyond Cro-Mo, chrome-lined, and stainless.
There's a few thing I'll disagree with you on, but this area is not one of them.

Any truth to the rumor I heard that BCM changed barrel sources and that has required an update of the fanboi properties chart?

Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 8:29 PM

Honestly Coke have you met some of these secret ex feds here at the range.last one i met was 300lbs and wearing a dea load out filled with 10/30s.he had no idea what a DSS agent is and told me FLETC was at Fort Bragg. Long way from Georgia.
me retired and bored i would rather argue with gear heads and play with my hotrods.
Old 12-17-2011, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
100% with you on the chart.

I won't even pretend to disagree with you on the metallurgical issues because I have absolutely zero knowledge on that aspect of barrel construction beyond Cro-Mo, chrome-lined, and stainless.
There's a few thing I'll disagree with you on, but this area is not one of them.

Any truth to the rumor I heard that BCM changed barrel sources and that has required an update of the fanboi properties chart?
not that I know of, but that would be a step in the right direction.

the AR15 industry is stalled in place due to the "chart" monkeys. manufacturers only see dollar signs. the only way we are getting better barrels and new tech is if they know people want it and will buy it. we can not do that with 1,000,000 mall ninjas screaming for 4150CMV with a M203 cutouts to mount their flare launchers...
Old 12-17-2011, 9:11 PM

Bingo.

Same with twist rates.
Personally, I feel that 1:9 is a superior "do it all" twist rate for anyone who won't be going into combat.
It'll handle 55gr nicely, doesn't overspin the 45gr varmint rounds by too much, and who is using anything over 62gr for plinking?

But "mil spec" is 1:7, so the fanbois want 1:7, so Daniel and the rest of the "respected" manufacturers make 1:7.
If you want a 1:9, you're stuck with RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, or YHM if you can find someone that stocks the 1:9 (and my guess would be that all of the above are actually RRA barrels).

Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

Same with twist rates.
Personally, I feel that 1:9 is a superior "do it all" twist rate for anyone who won't be going into combat.
It'll handle 55gr nicely, doesn't overspin the 45gr varmint rounds by too much, and who is using anything over 62gr for plinking?

But "mil spec" is 1:7, so the fanbois want 1:7, so Daniel and the rest of the "respected" manufacturers make 1:7.
If you want a 1:9, you're stuck with RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, or YHM if you can find someone that stocks the 1:9 (and my guess would be that all of the above are actually RRA barrels).
Colt has a 1:9 I actually read a response from DD somewhere that they were looking into other twist rates down the line as well. I don't shoot anything under 55gr anyway, and I also agree that not enough of the better mfg's have other options. The 1:7 works for my needs but still isn't fully ideal and the whole "these guys can't even live up to the TDP" arguments are getting really old. Yes there are better made rifles on many fronts than the run of the mill Colt, and it's a shame those companies like DD, LMT, Noveske IMO haven't further expanded on other possibilities. They simply see what everyone wants to simulate so that's what they sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 12-18-2011, 8:50 AM

I've read from books that non-chromed lined barrels doesn't need to be squeaky clean to be accurate. One barrel I have just need more dwell time using the solvent to do the work for you.

If you bench rest shoot like I do more often with my bolt or semi I clean more often that shoot. It's your final cleaning before you leave the range is what counts.

Cleaning a chrome lined barrel take just a few minuted to squart gun scrubber in it to flush out the fouling and push a couple dry patches through it.
Old 12-18-2011, 9:03 AM

JP Rifles use the Wylde chamber. Love the stainless steel, 1/8" twist. Very accurate with the right ammo. I have gotten groups of 1" at 300 yards with Black Hills 5.56, 77 gr. SMK
ammo. (not the red or blue box 223, the white box 5.56)
Old 12-18-2011, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

I don't notice much more cleaning involved with non-chrome lined barrels. However, this is only after several hundred rounds fired through AR's. Either way, will still shoot sub-moa with a tight nut behind the trigger. YMMV, but it seems like the online chairborne rangers like to blow things out of proportion.

WTB cheap/used AK-Ultimak & MFER.
Old 12-18-2011, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ARP?
http://ar15performance.com/

Solid and accurate barrels. Melonited, not chrome lined, 1/8, Wylde.......... Good muzzle devices also.

Last edited by missiontrails; 12-18-2011 at 9:48 AM..
Old 12-18-2011, 9:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
I don't notice much more cleaning involved with non-chrome lined barrels. However, this is only after several hundred rounds fired through AR's. Either way, will still shoot sub-moa with a tight nut behind the trigger. YMMV, but it seems like the online chairborne rangers like to blow things out of proportion.
Its not really us Chairborne Rangers doing the talking, its the US Military. They require Chrome lined because Soldiers have an allergic reaction to cleaning their rifles.. the military knows this so wants CL to cut down on the fouled barrel problem that results from idiot with a gun syndrome.
Old 12-20-2011, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Those are NOT chrome lined wylde barrels.
The 20" is Wylde/Chrome Lined.

You might also check White Oak, they make barrels chambered for .223 Wylde.

Last edited by Eargasm; 12-20-2011 at 8:58 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post

Solid and accurate barrels. Melonited, not chrome lined, 1/8, Wylde.......... Good muzzle devices also.

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/968/4307

Nice, thanks for the link. I'd be willing to give this barrel a shot. Any accuracy reports?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post

My pocketbook hates your guts

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
The 20" is Wylde/Chrome Lined.

You might also check White Oak, they make barrels chambered for .223 Wylde.
Just spoke to RRA, they do indeed have a chrome lined Wylde barrel. As soon as I asked for it, they immediately responded with, "But you will lose all the accuracy potential of the Wylde barrel since it is chrome lined".

LOL way to sell your stuff RRA. :P
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango5 View Post
Hey guys, just want to get some clarification on the 223 Wylde chamber. I have heard that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 marked barrel, but not 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel. I understand the difference in pressure from the 2 calibers. I'm looking at a 223 Wylde chamber upper and want to make sure what is safe to shoot, can you shoot both calibers without having to worry about the excessive pressure with the 5.56 caliber? Thanks in advance.
YES.

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/968/4307

Nice, thanks for the link. I'd be willing to give this barrel a shot. Any accuracy reports?
I had a 16" 1:8 .223 Wylde ARP barrel before and it shot fairly well with just crap ammo. I would call it an MOA or sub-MOA capable barrel.

ARP has great customer service and I like that they provide melonite barrels, but I ended up selling mine.

My barrel came with a few deep dings on it (no biggie), it kept popping primers, and when I got a replacement bolt I sold it to a buddy. After 2 mags of Wolf .223, it had an FTE and the case was stuck in there for the remainder of our Mojave camping trip. He sold it sometime after.

Perhaps I got unlucky and received a bad barrel and bolt, but from my experience I wouldn't trust my life on the ARP barrels. Hopefully they have changed things since I ordered from them.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM

This is what I use. So far approx. 500 rds through it and so far so good.
http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Wilson-No...23-16M-WIL.htm