Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-06-2007, 5:21 PM

Default Firearms prohibited in national parks?

I'm planning on taking a trip to the Channel Islands National Park on my boat. I call up and ask them if I can take a firearm with me for personal protection at my campsite, and they tell me no. I'm under the empression that where ever a persons resides, even if for one night, they are allowed to have a firearm on them. They quote some law "36 CFR Ch.1 Sec. 2.4" Are they right?
Old 03-06-2007, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

National Parks, no. National forrest, yes. You can bring a firearm into a National Park, however it must be disassembled.

edit: This is typically what the FAQ at all National Parks reads:
Quote:
11. Can I carry a gun or firearm to protect myself from bears?

In general terms, you may not carry a firearm within the boundaries of Denali National Park . If you possess a firearm it cannot be carried on your person or in a backpack, etc. All firearms must be stored unloaded, broken down and placed out of sight, such as in the trunk of your vehicle. If contacted by a park ranger you must immediately declare that you have a firearm. Firearms are NOT needed for protection from bears! Secure storage for firearms MAY be available while you are in the park. Contact any park ranger for details or if you have questions concerning firearms.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.

Last edited by wilit; 03-06-2007 at 5:35 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 5:39 PM

well I guess theres no point in taking one if its gotta be unloaded and broken down.
Old 03-06-2007, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

If firearms are not needed for protection then why do the State Park Rangers carry them?
Old 03-06-2007, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
If firearms are not needed for protection then why do the State Park Rangers carry them?
If you read what I posted, you'll notice it says you don't need a firearm to protect yourself from a bear. It doesn't say anything about protecting yourself from humans.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 03-06-2007, 6:05 PM

When the hell did this stupid law get passed anyway?
Old 03-06-2007, 6:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lol @ not needing a firearm for bear protection. WTH am I supposed to do, spit at the stupid thing!?

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 03-06-2007, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Lol @ not needing a firearm for bear protection. WTH am I supposed to do, spit at the stupid thing!?
No you act dead until you are. Or something like that.

Bill in SD
Old 03-06-2007, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

When I go camping, bears are not the threat my firearm is there to protect me against. It's humans.

Of course, since firearms aren't allowed in nat'l parks, then I KNOW no one with ill intentions will have a firearm there.
Old 03-06-2007, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjperl View Post
I'm planning on taking a trip to the Channel Islands National Park on my boat. I call up and ask them if I can take a firearm with me for personal protection at my campsite, and they tell me no. I'm under the empression that where ever a persons resides, even if for one night, they are allowed to have a firearm on them. They quote some law "36 CFR Ch.1 Sec. 2.4" Are they right?
I have been boarded by the CG in the Park and asked about a firearm. They just secured the seabag until they did their business and handed it back to me, never wanted to know it’s description. NP boats hit us frequently as we actively hunt big flaties and bugs, usually have several large 4 banders on board, they have never asked about firearms. They will measure the bugs but the 40lb flaties are a no brainer.

Just leave the pistol secured on your boat, I am confused why you would have a camp site, better to stay on the boat. Most all the commercial bug and net boats have a mini-14 stainless in the wheelhouse, they are in Park waters also. What Island are you looking to visit?

Last edited by Californio; 03-06-2007 at 7:21 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 7:24 PM

yeah, I think I might just sleep on the boat. Do guns in boats have to be stored the same way as guns in cars?
Old 03-06-2007, 7:34 PM

I have a full flap for the 1911 and it sits in the seabag. Like I said CG is the only agency that has ever asked, they were an east coast group training for Florida, never asked to see. Just don't leave it in plain view. All the NP boats go back to Ventura at night. If you are on the backside of the Islands your VHF won't work, best to be able to take care of yourself. My 5.5' speargun has a punch also. I don't know the law at sea on transport. I consider my boat a sea going motorhome.

Last edited by Californio; 03-06-2007 at 7:37 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 7:40 PM

Do you need to have a VHF? or is it just recommended?
Old 03-06-2007, 7:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
When I go camping, bears are not the threat my firearm is there to protect me against. It's humans.

Of course, since firearms aren't allowed in nat'l parks, then I KNOW no one with ill intentions will have a firearm there.
Despite NP Rangers being the most-attacked LEOs.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 03-06-2007, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, what size boat are you taking out there? Realize the Northern Channel can blow 60-80 knots and reach 20+ feet, have to be prepared.
Old 03-06-2007, 7:51 PM

It's a 21 footer. And believe me, there's no way I would ever head accross in any weather except calm weather.
Old 03-06-2007, 7:58 PM

It can come up soo fast. Power or Sail?
Old 03-06-2007, 7:59 PM

power... V8 it can hit 45-50mph
Old 03-06-2007, 8:25 PM

Speed will not help you with a swell at 8sec. or less.

My old walkaround was 26' x 10' with a V8 straight drive inboard and 20-22 knots was just about right. She weighed 8,000lbs.

You need a VHF, good compass, GPS, charts etc.

2 Anchors, no cans like Catalina and no shore facilities.

I carried on the 26', 500 ' of 1/2" rode and 50' of chain on each 13lb danforh anchor, Sun down winds can make your stern anchor become your bow etc. You will be anchoring in 35 to 40' and need at least 5 to 1 scope.

21' is really not safe in the Northern waters. Island Packers takes people to a camp ground at Scorpion Harbor and takes you home, a much safer bet.

Trust me, I have been going out there for 40 years, we came accross a 35' net boat that had sunk at night last year, 2 dead bodies lashed to floats and one survivor that swam 2 miles to the rocks, he was cut up but alive. Totally different from Catalina.

Think about Island Packers and the camp area at Scorpion Harbor.

This is the type of small offshore boat that eats the Northern Channel Islands sea state.

http://www.radonboats.com/index.html

Last edited by Californio; 03-06-2007 at 9:09 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
National Parks, no. National forrest, yes. You can bring a firearm into a National Park, however it must be disassembled.

edit: This is typically what the FAQ at all National Parks reads:
You can also bring guns into National Monuments and hunt but no target shooting.
Old 03-06-2007, 9:47 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

There are no limits on how you store a gun aboard your vessel beyond common sense.

I too mention that any 21'er you plan on taking on that trip should be a very salty fishing boat for that run. Underestimate the Pacific off California at peril of death.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-06-2007, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have an Icom IC-M120 I picked up for $80.00. Marine radios are cheap.... look on ebay you can find them for under $100.00.

If you are near Bakersfield I can help you with antennas and installation.
Old 03-06-2007, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And believe me, there's no way I would ever head accross in any weather except calm weather.
I smell newbie... The ocean is a fickle lady... her temperment can change in minutes....
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Neptune and Davey have a pact to school pollywogs that underestimate the sea. I've seen A guided missle cruiser(US) covered by a rouge wave on a calm day . . .scared the crap outta the crew. Better to be prepared than lost at sea. Seen too much of that . . .
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
When the hell did this stupid law get passed anyway?

it has been on the books for over 20yrs now......back in 1984 on a backpacking trip in Yosemite.. we went in the back way (spring Lake) and as we crossed the bridge.. a ranger met us and asked if we had any firearms.. if to they would be consficated....

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM

The handheld VHFs work very well for rescue. CG puts their antennas way up high so they can hear you if you need them even from a handheld.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
I smell newbie... The ocean is a fickle lady... her temperment can change in minutes....
It's only 25 miles of the coast of santa barbara, I'll be there in minutes... hopefuly.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAhighpowershooter View Post
it has been on the books for over 20yrs now......back in 1984 on a backpacking trip in Yosemite.. we went in the back way (spring Lake) and as we crossed the bridge.. a ranger met us and asked if we had any firearms.. if to they would be consficated....
I was in Yosemite last month and saw the sign at the entrance that read "All Firearms And Pets Must Be Decalred". The booth was unattended at the time otherwise I would like to have asked what would happen upon declaring pets or firearms? Maybe next time.

Annual national park pass is now $80 used to be $50.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM

It's funny how we get charged to enter our own land.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

What I have seen argued endlessly- but neverproven (yet) definitively to my liking---> are CCW's exempt from the National Parks firearm prohibition

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 PM

The current thinking is that a CCW isn't good enough to carry in a National Park. That's why Jim Webb (D) Virginia is likely to introduce legislation to allow CCW holders to carry in parks.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 AM

http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/03/...by_sno_in.html
Old 03-07-2007, 8:32 AM

Quote:
It's only 25 miles of the coast of santa barbara, I'll be there in minutes... hopefuly.
The Pop Corn Patch between Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz is the worst sea state, confused currents are created from the sea between the two islands. If you must go launch from Channel Islands Harbor run to East end of Anacapa (11nm) , go up the backside (11nm) and if it still looks good 6 miles accross to the East end of Santa Cruz. A small boat needs at a min. 6' VHF ant. Note from Santa Barbara figure 35nm, in case you need to get close to the island and run down for protection (25 miles as the crow flies) and once offshore (10 miles) the weather will change as you leave the lee of the land and get whats off Point Conception. The East end of Santa Cruz is the best water for a small boat, there are no camps of the West End. Scorpion Harbor on the East End has the kayak camp.

Your boat needs to have a 100 mile range to play this game, 1/3 to go, 1/3 to return and 1/3 reserve.

Small Island boats are Radon, Farallon, Skipjack, Anderson, Parker, Protector, salty boats, the standard tupperware are not up to the task.

Be safe

Edit: Last weekend we had an East Wind, on the front side of the Islands there is NO West End harbors to hide in if one comes up and they are still coming this year. The only Harbor that can give you protection is Potato Harbor on the Eastern section of Santa Cruz, up from Scropion. I have done many a midnight anchor drill to hide from the East Wind, they come up fast 30 min. and blow 45+mph. for hours or days.

Last edited by Californio; 03-07-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Which island did you say you were visiting?

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785