Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 3:07 PM

Thumbs down Sportsman Steel Safes Does Not Stand Behind Their Products...

I bought two from the Dad who started the company. It was years ago, his speil was that he designed it on his kitchen table. His son delivers it and starts spouting the combination in front of my dirtbag neighbor who was watching the delivery. Later the weld on the top hinge breaks and they offer to repair the weld if and only if I bring it to them. At the time I lived 15 minutes from their location. They have major character flaws and refuse to stand behind their products. Stay away from Sportsman Steel Safes (or whatever they are calling themselves now) like the plague!!!
Any questions, feel free to contact me!
Coilspring
Old 03-06-2007, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Enough info for me. Thanks for the tip.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke
Old 03-07-2007, 1:41 AM

well do!
Old 03-07-2007, 6:36 AM

I've got an 8 year old Sportsman Steel, hopefully I never have a problem... Its been good so far.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

The safes they make are fine. It's their customer service that leaves a lot to be desired. They have one of the crappiest reputations I've ever come across.
Old 03-08-2007, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That was the one of the places I personally visited when I was choosing a safe. The son is a tool, and if you go there and hang around for a while it is very easy to see that they run a shifty business and their product is crap.

I'm not opposed to profanity, but the son's use of it does not enhance his sales pitch at all. Neither does his bragging of how much money he makes, and the way he berates his workers is very unprofessional.

I felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman of the lowest order and split.

He called me the next day to tell me steel prices were going up and I should order quickly. I told him I had already purchased a Cannon safe. He started cussing the product on the phone. I hung up on him.

When talking with other safe manufacturers, they laugh and proclaim that Sportsmens Steel safes are the running joke of the industry.

My advice to anyone is, don't walk away from them, RUN!
Old 03-09-2007, 7:41 PM

I went to go look at safe there. They had a sale, bait and switch, did not honner ther prices they advertised. Said raw material when up last week. I'am looking around in the back and i open a safe up and a barely alive cat walks out. That was enough for me.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

damn...
Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I have a Sportsman Steel Safe and I have to say that the father and son are both a piece of work. The safe itself is ok...if you're lucky...but their customer service is non existant.

I do not know of a company that I have purchased from before that is as bad this these people. They will not get another cent from me and anyone I can convince not to buy from them.

I noticed that they are also selling under PENTAGON SAFES. Maybe Sportsman Steel Safe's rep is so bad that they need to work under a different name!
Old 03-10-2007, 6:56 PM

I have two of their safes...I bought one back in 1998 and I love that thing, great craftsmanship and overall looked like it was well built...I bought another one, about 3 years ago and was very disappointed...It seems like the quality went down and they cut some things to save some $$$$...I recommend Liberty Safes...I sold the other Sportsman Steel Safe and bought a Liberty Safe...Much better design and craftsmanship...

It seems that the son's are running the shop now and are trying to cut every corner they can to save a buck...The new safes show...My old safe is awesome, the new ones,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.........
Old 03-12-2007, 8:18 PM

Just checked there website and I see they no longer have one.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile Gun Safes

I was in the market for a larger safe, and visited Dean's safes in Van nuys. They had a large selection of various brands and ended up purchasing a
Fort Knox executive safe. The workmanship and fire rating are very impressive, hopefully this will be the last safe I will purchase. This dealer is highly recommended
Old 03-13-2007, 8:04 AM

Default Ya'll count your blessings.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...8&view=printer

This poor guy paid $2900 and got reamed.
Quote:
Sportsman Steel Safe / Pentagon Safes Ripoff, Misrepresentation

08-28-04 Spoke with Mr. Kevin Hand and ordered safe. Credit card charged $2,887.99.

09-03-04 Received invoice w/specifications for safe. Total amount, including shipping, $2,887.99. Estimated shipping time, 7-9 weeks.

09-08-04 Ordered, by telephone, dehumidifier drier to be installed into safe for additional cost of $39.95.

09-17-04 Credit card charged $49.95.

09-20-04 Received invoice for dehumidifier for $49.95

11-03-04 Called Sportsman for update of expected shipping date. Was told someone would call me back later that day. No return call received.

11-04-04 Called Sportsman again for update of expected shipping date. Was told someone would call me back later that day. No return call received.

11-08-04 Called Sportsman again for update of expected shipping date. Was told again that someone would call me back later that day. No return call received.

11-09-04 Called Sportsman again for update of expected shipping date. Was told again that someone would call me back later that day. I informed female that this is my fourth call and no one has returned any of my calls. If no call received this date, order will be cancelled tomorrow morning.

11-09-04 Received return call from Kevin Hand. I was informed that the quality of paint job was not acceptable to them and will be repainted. Safe should go out Monday or Tuesday.

11-24-04 Safe arrived however it could not be unlocked.

11-24-04 Contacted Sportsman and attempts were made using combinations to unlock safe. All attempts failed. Was told someone would call me first thing Friday morning.

11-26-04/10:15am cst Called Sportsman and asked for help with safe. Was told that foreman, Jorge, would call me back in thirty minutes. I told female about defects in paint job and crooked/off centered decals. She said she was writing down my complaint.

11-26-04/11:00am cst Called Sportsman back and was told by female, “they're all in a meeting.” Asked female what happened to the thirty minute return phone call. She replied, ”We're pretty busy here.” I was put on hold. Line was picked up twice and I was returned to hold.

11-26-04/11:11am cst Line disconnected.

11-26-04/11:12am cst Called Sportsman back and spoke with Jorge. With him on the phone we attempted to unlock the safe again with negative results. Also, after dialing the final combination number the dial is suppose to stop while turning to the right, according to Jorge. The dial does not stop. I informed Jorge that the dial does not turn smoothly and has an internal dragging sound. There is no sign of any damage to the lock. The noise could be heard by Jorge over the telephone.

Jorge stated he believes there is a problem with the lock. He asked that I locate a locksmith in my area and to give him their telephone number. He said he would contact that locksmith and make arrangements with them to repair the lock at Sportsman's expense. I also told him about the defects in paint and decal. He said, “That's not a big problem.” I told him I would call him back in a few minutes. Conversation terminated at 11:23 CST.

11-26-04/11:34am cst Called Sportsman and asked to speak with Jorge. I was told he had left the building to get parts. I left the information with female, Allen's Safe & Lock, 15885 Hwy. 105 West, Conroe, Tx. 936-447-4769. I was told Jorge would call me back later. Call was not returned.

11-29-04/8:35am cst Called Allen's Safe & Lock and spoke with Marion. She stated that they have not received any calls from Sportsman Safe.

11-29-04/10:08am cst Contacted Sportsman and asked to speak with Kevin Hand. Female stated he will be in around 08:30 (pst).

11-29-04/11:02am cst Contacted Sportsman and asked to speak with Kevin Hand. Was told he was not in. I asked to speak with Jorge. Female stated that Jorge was just now walking out the door to a meeting and to call him back in fifteen minutes.

SNIP

11-29-04/4:48pm cst I called Sportsman and spoke with Elizabeth. She informed me that they have made arrangements with Allen's Safe & Lock to repair the lock at their expense.

11-30-04/2:30pm cst Jim Allen w/Allen's Safe & Lock arrived to check safe. He determined that lock is defective and contacted Kevin Hand who informed him Sportsman will ship a new lock to him.

12-02-04/1:15pm cst Contacted Allen's Safe & Lock and inquired if they received new lock from Sportsman. They had not.

12-02-04/1:19pm cst Contacted Sportsman and spoke to Dominique concerning shipment of lock. Was told it was shipped but not sure to who. She said she will find out and call back.

12-02-04/1:29pm cst Was contacted by Dominique with Sportsman. She informed me they had been waiting for conformation (unknown from who) before shipping a new lock. SNIP I inquired if they are shipping it “over night express?” She said they could but I would be charged for the overnight shipment.

I explained to her that I have been having such a horrible time with her company and cannot believe they would not take the courtesy of shipping the lock over night at their expense. She said she would check but the one she would need approval from is in a meeting. I told her to ship it regardless and to make sure the combination set key is included. She said she would.

I also told her I had made a complaint of a poor quality paint job in respect to installing the locks and then painting the safe. The masking job around the lock prior to painting resulted in a visible, unpainted 1/8” ring around the electronic lock. A more professional manner of painting would have been to paint the safe, then install the locks. She said she would send me touch up paint. I also told her about the decals (initials) on the safe were applied crooked and off centered. She said she would send new initial decals for me to replace.

12-06-04/5:08pm cst Called Sportsman and spoke with Dominique to inquire as to the shipping information. She informed me that it was shipped via Fed-Ex Ground.

SNIP

12-08-04/3:00pm cst Jim Allen with Allen's Safe & Lock arrived and was able to open safe by drilling hole in door behind mechanical combination lock.

Several contract discrepancies were discovered once inner door panel was removed to replace lock. Those discrepancies are as follows:

1)Written invoice states safe will be equipped with ceramic fire insulation rated to 2300 degrees.
~Safe was discovered to have been insulated with 5/8”
gypsum drywall. This is in direct contrast to my conversation with Mr. Hand, at time of order, that this safe will have 2300 degree rated ceramic insulation and that he does not use drywall as other “cheap store bought” safes have.

2) Several areas in door and inner door jam had no insulation (drywall) at all. This degrades fire protection of entire safe.

3) Contract states that safe will have dual digital locks installed.
~Only one digital lock was installed. The other lock is a mechanical combination lock.

It is further noted that the safe door is also poorly painted. The inside of the inner door panel was not painted or primed and the sheet metal is rusting. Rust is evident on edges of inner door panel to the extent of bleeding onto the painted/visible surfaces of the door.
The bottom third of the inner door panel is bent and almost all the mounting screw holes were stripped causing the panel to pull away from the door.

12-08-04/5:24pm cst Contacted Sportsman and attempted to speak with Mr. Hand. I was told by female he was not in today. I then spoke with customer service, Dominique, and informed her of my findings. She said she was told by Mr. Hand that the doors are not insulated with ceramic. Only the walls are insulated with ceramic.

12-09-04/3:00pm cst Received a package from Sportsman. In the box was a small can of paint, three small initial decals and a L&G combination lock assembly. The dial ring was slightly damaged by poor packaging. The dial ring had several dents from beating against the metal paint can during shipment. Also the key lock insert and key were missing. The dial was also missing its cover.

02-21-05/3:45pm cst Received a telephone call from Allen's safe & Lock who informed me that Sportsman Steel Safe has not paid them for their services to open the safe. I was informed that when they contact Sportsman they are told that someone with accounts payable will contact them. This has not occurred.

02-21-05/3:51pm cst Attempted to speak to someone with Sportsman Steel Safe & Lock (800 266 7150) but only received their voice mail. Left a message for Mr. Hand informing him that his company has failed to pay for services rendered by Allen's Safe & Lock. I also requested that someone with his company contact Allen's Safe & Lock (936 447 4769) immediately and pay for the services rendered.

02-21-05 Send a copy of the above information to 740 am Tom Martino requesting Sportsman Steel Safes be included in their Sleaze List of companies NOT to do business with.

2-24-05 File complaint with BBC. Complaint# 98020343

4-07-05/1:29pm cdt Received telephone call from Dave with Sportsman Steel Safe (562) 984-8267. We discussed the defective fire protection, quality of work and multiple failures of the company to return my calls. When asked for compensation for the misrepresentation of the product he said he would check into it and call me back.

4-16-05 Sent email to BBC requesting my rebuttal to be entered into their file disputing Sportsman's rebuttal that they have resolved this case.
As of 12-21-05 No one from Sportsman Safe has contacted me and this case is still Unresolved.

Larry
Montgomery, Texas
U.S.A.
PORTIONS SNIPPED TO CONFORM WITH CalGun's WORD COUNTER.
Old 03-13-2007, 8:13 AM

Default Part II... another poor victim

Why is the inside of this safe rusting like Larry's, in the post above?? Yikes...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportsman-Steel-...QQcmdZViewItem
eBay: Sportsman Steel Pentagon Gun Safe (item 200086176996 end time Mar-15-07 1335 PDT)
Quote:

Sportsman Steel Pentagon Gun Safe
Item number: 200086176996

Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay

Supersize

Starting bid: US $1,699.00
Place Bid >
End time: Mar-15-07 1335 PDT (2 days 4 hours)
Shipping costs:
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Johnston, RI, United States
History: 0 bids
You can also:
Get alerts via Text message, IM or Cell phone
Email to a friend
Listing and payment details: HideShow

Starting time: Mar-05-07 1236 PST
Starting bid: US $1,699.00
Duration: 10-day listing

Payment methods:
Visa/MasterCard,
American Express
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: tcasale( 0 )
Member: since Feb-11-06 in United States
Read feedback comments
Ask seller a question
Add to Favorite Sellers
View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
No feedback reviews at this time
2. Check how you're protected

If paying with a credit card, see your card issuer's terms

Description

Item Specifics - Item Condition
Condition:
Used

Four month old

Holds six guns

Black exterior

Beige interior

Five spoke handle

Gold package

This safe needs to be completely rebuilt. Due to its malfuctioning, I was locked out of the safe twice and subsequently had to cut the roof of the safe open after the second time to gain access to my guns locked inside. The roof now requires repair and welding. The door needs to reconstructed as the brackets that were installed by the manufacturer fell off inside the safe resulting in my being locked out of the safe on two (2) occasions. After examination, it appeared that the welds in the safe door did not adequately penetrate, resulting in the malfuctioning of the door lock and my being locked out. The brackets that did fall off inside the safe door will need to be welded back on properly. In order to avoid any other potential failures, it may be wise to reweld all the seams.

Please review the photos carefully to familirize with the extent of the welding and repairs necessary to properly reconstruct the safe in a manner that will insure appropriate performance.

Photo #1: Shows gold trim package.

Photos #2 & #3: Shows where bracket fell off door because of defective welds.

Photo #4: Shows guide bracket too far over to left causing guide rod to fall out and jam

up door.

Photo #5: Shows proper position of guide bracket, rod staying in position receiving one

inch of slide rod.

Photo #6: Shows non-penetrating weld.

Photo #7: Shows spoke handle postioning cam which fell off causing second lock out.

Photo #8: Shows handle cam and guide bracket that fell off and need to rewelded.

Photo #9: Shows roof cut open to gain access to content after second lock out and

needs to be rewelded.

Photo #10: Shows overall picture of safe condition.

Photo #11: Shows inside of door.

Photo #12: Shows day lock.
Damn. I know the eBay ad won't be there forever, but ya'll ought to see those pictures.

I found both these 'complaints' with a quick Google.

Unfortunately, Sportsman Steel does still have a website.

Last edited by moredes; 03-13-2007 at 8:20 AM..
Old 03-13-2007, 8:53 PM

Oh yeah, stay away from them...I bought one years ago and still uses it but it took me quite some time to finally get my safe after i paid them. Every time i go there to pick up (after phone confirmation that it is ready for pick up) it is always some excuses and it took me 4-5 trips to get it but i had to put up with it because i paid my safe in full...I know i was too nice then.
Old 03-14-2007, 2:05 AM

There's a lot of fabrication work involved in building a safe. Do you really trust your valuables to a company that apparently seems to half-*** everything? With non-penetrating welds I'd be worried that the safe door would fall off and hurt myself or the significant other...
Old 03-15-2007, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUN FREAK View Post
I went to go look at safe there. They had a sale, bait and switch, did not honner ther prices they advertised. Said raw material when up last week. I'am looking around in the back and i open a safe up and a barely alive cat walks out. That was enough for me.
Wow!
Old 03-16-2007, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default unfortunate....

It's truly unfortunate the experiences recent Sportsman safe patrons have suffered. I bought mine back in 1993 or so. While the safe itself was not a thing of beauty it was solidly built with no bad welds and a smoothly functioning mechanism. Obviously somewhere along the line something went wrong. Back then Sportsman was one of the few safe companies that offered value as well as acceptable build quality. Now with all the horror stories I hear about their product I would not buy another. With the competition heating up I think it'll be harder and harder for them to stay in business.
Old 03-16-2007, 7:50 PM

I drove by the place today The place still looks like a dump.
Old 03-20-2007, 1:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow... damn.

...just goes to show there is a lot of crap out there sold around by losers.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Default WOW

Thank goodness I stumbled accross this forum and read what was posted about Sportsman Steel Safes. I am in the research phase of purchasing a safe and was seriously considering contacting Sportsman Steel, but not after reading the reviews posted here. My search continues. Has anybody heard anything about Steelwater Safes? I welcome any and all comments. Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 1:24 PM

I'm guessing this is the Sportsman steel company in Long Beach, CA
http:
//www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/

This guy looks like a friggin tool.
Kevin Hand
Vice President and VD Designer
Old 12-22-2009, 7:36 PM

Look at Browning safes too.

Guns don't kill people. People Kill people.
Old 12-22-2009, 7:48 PM
In Memoriam

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they will just go out of business
Old 12-22-2009, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they will just go out of business
Considering that this thread was started almost 3 years ago and their web site is still up, I doubt that's the case.

Also seems to be a slightly different company today:
Quote:
Special Announcement! Two great gun safe companies, Sportsman Steel Safes and Pentagon Safes have combined to become one of America's premier gun safe companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-22-2009, 9:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Considering that this thread was started almost 3 years ago and their web site is still up, I doubt that's the case.

Also seems to be a slightly different company today:
Quote:
Sportsman Steel Safes and Pentagon Safes have combined to become one of America's premier gun safe companies.
They ARE the same company. They've always been. Is this more deceit?

Old 12-23-2009, 8:10 AM

+++1 On used car salesmen!!!

I call them about a year ago and talked to Kevin.I agree the high use of profanity is a little unprofessinal and the I pressure pitch left me feeling a little dirty.So I listened to my gut and got a Bighorn from Costco and Im very happy.
Old 12-23-2009, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

American Security (Am Sec) is also a Great Safe company.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM

URGENT - READ..... Sportsman Steel & Pentagon Safes have safes at the FBI, DOJ, CIA, Homeland Security, Smithsonian and created the first step door in the gun safe industry. Plus, they've never had a door drilled out in 30 years and have never lost a vault door to a fire EVER. That's an amazing track record!!!! So much so... that the Inspector General of the CIA bought his office safes from Sportsman Steel.

Last year I found out through reliable sources that salesman at two small gun safe companies were posting many untrue things on CALGUNS. Most of the things listed above are not true. If you have questions about buying a gun safe from any company... CALL THEM YOURSELF. Because salesman use forums to TRICK YOU. Thought you might want to know. Safe expert
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM

i like my sportsman steel that i purchased 1 year ago but post above me seems like sales pitch i got when i purchased mine
Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Am I the only one that finds it bizarre that someone trying to protect us from untrue stories about a company dredged up an ancient thread of allegedly untrue stories so that every freaking person will read it?

Reverse psychology perhaps?

Nice work!

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

I have a sportsman steel safe I bought 10 years ago. 2 years ago the lock broke, they have a lifetime warranty to fix it. Kevin wanted me to bring them the safe, but that would have been impossible, because all of my guns were locked up inside. I raised hell and threatened to slam their company online. Kevins brother came out personally and fixed it. I forget Kevins brothers name, but he was a good guy, who wanted to help. However, kevin didn't want to help at all. Kevin is a douche bag and has no business running any type of business. Do not buy from these guys. I just bought a 1400 pound steel water gun safe and it is amazing. I got it for $2000 and it has a 2 hour rating. This safe should cost like $4500.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:01 AM

Several years ago I went there to buy a from them. I wanted to support a local company.

Kevin pulled me aside and tells me what a peice of do-do his dad is and that he - Kevin was trying to cash his dad out so that he would NEVER have to see that mean sob again in his life.

I unassed myself from their location as quickly as I could and didn't look back
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, because America gave him the White House based on the same credentials ~ Newt Gingrich ~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-10-2011, 8:20 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Reverse psychology perhaps?
Always worth a try!

Old 02-10-2011, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeexpert View Post
URGENT - READ..... Sportsman Steel & Pentagon Safes have safes at the FBI, DOJ, CIA, Homeland Security, Smithsonian and created the first step door in the gun safe industry. Plus, they've never had a door drilled out in 30 years and have never lost a vault door to a fire EVER. That's an amazing track record!!!! So much so... that the Inspector General of the CIA bought his office safes from Sportsman Steel.

Last year I found out through reliable sources that salesman at two small gun safe companies were posting many untrue things on CALGUNS. Most of the things listed above are not true. If you have questions about buying a gun safe from any company... CALL THEM YOURSELF. Because salesman use forums to TRICK YOU. Thought you might want to know. Safe expert

HAHAHAHAHAHA nice try...

I'm in the market for a new safe and due to just the handful of stories I've read I'll NEVER buy a safe from Sportsmens or their alternate name(s).
Old 02-26-2011, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

Damn.... I was looking at their Vault doors as they have a model that opens INWARDS, and can open from the inside...

Anybody know of a GOOD company that makes a similar product?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I dont know anyone offhand that does that, but I would have to think that if they are doing it, there has got to be someone else out there that can do it way way better.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Remarkable necropost.

Since both 2007 and 2009 are 'ancient history', anyone with current experience or information to share may start a new thread.

Closed.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Closed Thread