Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-15-2011, 3:12 PM

Default S&W M&P .40 vs. SIG Pro SP2022 .40?

I need owner opinions please. I am in the market to purchasing a hand gun. My first. This will be more for home defense, light target practice. I can't make up my mind on which one of these is a better buy. I want a very reliable gun, no problems with ammo brands or jamming. My budget is about $600. I would like to hear pros and cons on both guns. Thank you in advance!

(I am new to this forum, never done the forum thing before. So I sincerely apologize if this has been posted before. I tried searching for this thread with not much luck)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2011, 3:18 PM

no glock or xd?
Old 12-15-2011, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Both are reliable. You really should spend time on both if possible. I know most ranges don't have SP2022s for rent, but try a P229 to get a similar feel of it.. get familiar with the DA/SA and see if you prefer that over M&Ps striker-fire system.

I've owned an SP2022 and while I loved the gun.. if I had to choose between that and an M&P, I'd go with the M&P. I just prefer a consistent trigger pull all the time. The M&P also feels a lot less "clunky" to me. I like having no controls pressed up against my support hand (SP2022 has a big decocker protruding out on the side). On the flip-side.. if your budget is $600 and decide to go with the SP2022.. you'll have plenty of money left over for ammo. One can be had for $399 or less if you shop around. Extremely great guns at that price. The trigger is great right out of the box and you'll need no mods to it. If you go the M&P route, you might eventually want to get APEX parts installed. At least the M&P is easier to work on than the SP2022.

Last edited by gorenut; 12-15-2011 at 3:23 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 3:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I sell alot of both but keep the MPc 40 as my CC. The 2022 is a awesome value for the money and those that have them rarely complain. You cant really go wrong either way.

Corona, Ca
NRA Life Member
FFL

Gun Control is like treating the symptom, not the disease. Gun laws only restrict people who obey the law.
Old 12-15-2011, 3:23 PM

Both guns are different in many ways!

The SP2022 is a gun with a hammer, so it has a DA/SA type trigger pull. The dissassembly is different, and some of the ergonomics. The first trigger pull may be long, but the follow up shots are nice a light. It has removable grip backstraps so you can have a smaller feel if you need it.

The M&P is a striker fired gun with a consistent trigger feel. The tolerances are loose, and they are super reliable. So many people like Glocks and M&Ps for good reason.

It is an apple or a banana.
Old 12-15-2011, 3:44 PM

Good stuff guys, thanks. As for the glocs, I never really liked the feel of them in my hands. I never thought about XD's. So many guns out there, trying to start somewhere. I know this won't be my last. I just want to have a handgun next to my Rem 870 for home.

Thanks for feed back gentlemen.
Old 12-15-2011, 4:25 PM

M&P is made here, I say buy that.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-15-2011, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
Aren't most of the new Sig Pros out of New Hampshire?

Both are good guns, you need to hold each one and shoot it if possible.

I could go either way, I have a M&P compact, but in the full size guns, I love the way the Sig feels, I want to get one soon.

Last edited by brianm767; 12-15-2011 at 4:39 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

M&P
Old 12-15-2011, 4:41 PM

If you're near one Turners has the sp2022 on sale starting tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2011, 4:47 PM

I think I might have to get both haha
Old 12-15-2011, 5:19 PM

i've owned a M&P40 for almost a year now, and I love it! smooth recoil and feels well balanced in the hand.
Old 12-15-2011, 5:59 PM

I'll echo shoot first before you buy. DA/SA isn't that easy to get use to. The first DA shot of a Sig or HK is much heavier than say a Glock. I've never run an SP Sig, but own a P226 and honestly like my Glock better. I have run the M&P .40 a few times and it's nice, but needs an apex trigger. My personal choice would be Glock 17 9mm or M&P .45 as I like both guns and both calibers better than what you're proposing. Between those two, I would probably choose the M&P. Either way I think you're ok, but definitely shoot first as not every gun works for everyone.
Old 12-15-2011, 7:49 PM

I've owned a G22,23 SP2022, M&P40c and 4"XD, all in 40. The only one I have left is the 2022, its my daily carry. My advice is to at least get your hands on them to see which one feels right. If you can, shoot them.
Old 12-15-2011, 8:20 PM

Gumby - do you carry the 2022 concealed? If so, what holster do you use? It seems to me to be a bit on the large side for LTC, though I know some make it work.
Old 12-15-2011, 9:09 PM

Tiberius: yes, I carry concealed. Its a Galco Jak belt slide. It holds the gun very close to my side.
Old 12-15-2011, 9:17 PM

I like the layout and feel of the M&P40. Sigs are quality firearms, but they're not for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 1:13 AM
Veteran Member

I have an SP2022 in 9mm and I love it. It's my 'beater' gun and it runs perfectly (especially considering all the abuse it's been through). With that said I am going to be getting an MP40c for CCW soon only because the SP is too big for me to carry.

Both are fantastic guns.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 12-17-2011, 8:00 AM

Ok guys, I went to a shooting range last night that had both these guns. And I made up my mind. I'm going with the M&P 40. The SIG was a very nice gun too. But it just wasn't for me. M&P just fit better and felt more natural in my hand. I truly appreciate all the comments and feed back.
So later today I should be putting a M&P in jail!
Old 12-17-2011, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Congrats. I love my M&P .40 and .45. Briefly had a Sig, but the DA/SA trigger was a deal breaker for me.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 12-17-2011, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Wish I could get a Sig Pro .40 up here. Been wanting one forever, even have a stack of mags from CDNN since they were 10 bucks.

Eh, if you want striker go M&P, hammer/DA/SA go with the Sig. Its pretty easy choice. You have to decide the system you want.

Dont let people scare you away from the DA/SA platform though, even if its not a Sig. Its been around a while, and its gotten pretty refined. I only slightly prefer Glocks and I'm telling you, I still love my Sigs, DA/SA pistols.
Old 12-17-2011, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
So? S&W I hear is not what it used to be. Plus i hear the workers at the S&W company are unionized. I don't want to **** on this thread but something to think about.
Old 12-17-2011, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
Aren't most of the new Sig Pros out of New Hampshire?

Both are good guns, you need to hold each one and shoot it if possible.

I could go either way, I have a M&P compact, but in the full size guns, I love the way the Sig feels, I want to get one soon.
Alot of the ones found here are out of Exeter, but I've seen lately alot of people getting the German made models. I've found the quality difference to be practically no difference. YMMV.

And nice I was thinking of the M&P compact in .357 Sig platform. I just dont know if I'm sold on the .357 sig in a Poly platform yet except in the Sig Pro.

Last edited by Sturnovik; 12-17-2011 at 8:24 AM..
Old 12-17-2011, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have both and I know you've made your choice already, but for me the sig is better. Just something about a hammer fired gun. Plus I like the extra effort of the DA on the first shot, but that's definitely something you need to train for.

As far as a M&P in 357Sig, just get a spare barrel for a 40sw, they use the same magazines for both calibers in that pistol. I have a spare 357sig barrel for my sp2022 in 40 as well. Love that caliber.
Old 12-17-2011, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yea much like the Glocks, I'm sure even these conversions are almost as reliable as it gets, but I like stuff stock, I dont mind spending the money on another gun for the sake of reliability. But that being said, I may buy a barrel for both just for the fun of it.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm no gunsmith, but AFAIK, the only difference on the SP2022 is the sight heights. 6 and 6 versus 8 and 6 I think. So the POA would be different, but nothing you can't learn through training. That being said, if you want 2 extra pistols, more power to you. I just don't have that much room in the safe, much easier to store a barrel!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootHunter View Post
I'm no gunsmith, but AFAIK, the only difference on the SP2022 is the sight heights. 6 and 6 versus 8 and 6 I think. So the POA would be different, but nothing you can't learn through training. That being said, if you want 2 extra pistols, more power to you. I just don't have that much room in the safe, much easier to store a barrel!
Haha I know they are quite reliable when its a .40/357 sig conversion, but I've seen them fail at times, just not what I want for defense, at times though its hard to justify the price of a .357 sig because of price. Eh a time will come when its cheaper. I spoke with a Glock Rep a few years back and told him I wanted the G31 and why not just get the G22 with a .357 sig barrel and he said thats fine but simply put, the G31 (at that time) had slightly thicker rails and at one point they were revising different parts due to the pressures, alas its less of a worry nowadays.

OP Congrats on your purchase when you pick it up. I'm going for a .40 Sig Pro next since I have so many mags and they just discontinued the .357 nitron in the standard line :/.

Last edited by Sturnovik; 12-17-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
So? S&W I hear is not what it used to be. Plus i hear the workers at the S&W company are unionized. I don't want to **** on this thread but something to think about.
From who? Did you research for yourself what you "heard" before spreading it across the internet?

As for the union comment, why don't you find out for yourself and read their most recent 10-K filing:
http://investing.businessweek.com/re...&formType=10-K

"As of May 31, 2011, we had 1,520 full-time employees...None of our employees are represented by a union in collective bargaining with us."

Kindly correct the source of the union rumor you heard.

And in a debate between current production Sig Sauer and S&W firearms, it's not S&W anybody has to worry about "not being what they used to:"

More Woes for the SIG P250
"There is no longer enough confidence in the quality of the pistol, nor in the capacity of the manufacturer to improve the quality or safeguard it. - Dutch Minister of Security and Justice
I.W. Opstelten

GAO blows up Sig Sauer’s contract award protest against ATF

The crux of Sig Sauer's argument is that the SSB members focused on the number of stoppages the shooters encountered, instead of the actual ratings and comments provided by the shooters

The SIG face palm thread

When did Sig Sauer decline?

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton

Last edited by G60; 12-17-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 AM

This

I am a big Sig fan and love shooting their pistols but I prefer the P series over the SP models. Between the two guns you mentioned I'd go with the M&P. When you're ready for an awesome DA/SA pistol go with a P series.
Old 12-17-2011, 1:31 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Congrats. You've made the right choice IMO. You chose the one that fit and feel natural to your hand.

I personally would pick the m&p out of the two. But if you include the p226 in your list then I highly suggest you go try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgbot View Post
Ok guys, I went to a shooting range last night that had both these guns. And I made up my mind. I'm going with the M&P 40. The SIG was a very nice gun too. But it just wasn't for me. M&P just fit better and felt more natural in my hand. I truly appreciate all the comments and feed back.
So later today I should be putting a M&P in jail!
Old 12-17-2011, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Congrats. You've made the right choice IMO. You chose the one that fit and feel natural to your hand.

I personally would pick the m&p out of the two. But if you include the p226 in your list then I highly suggest you go try it out.

I did try the p226 as well. That one made me think for a bit haha. I tried that and the m&p 3 times just to be certain. What made me choose finally was I was comfortable with the single action.
Old 12-17-2011, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Good choice, they are both very good guns though.
Old 12-18-2011, 7:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You will love it...good choice.

Corona, Ca
NRA Life Member
FFL

Gun Control is like treating the symptom, not the disease. Gun laws only restrict people who obey the law.