Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Rossi 357 Magnum Good buy?

Howdy everyone quick question! As you know its christmas time and Santa has left me some money to buy a new toy! I've got about 325 and i saw that Turner's has a Rossi 357 Magnum on sale and i was wondering what you guys thought about it.

I looked up online for reviews but they varied pretty widely. Some said that theirs was extremely reliable and locked up smoothly. Others had stated that their firing pins mounted on their hammers broke within 5-6 shots. Most said good things though...

I can't afford a colt, smith and wesson, but maybe a Ruger. Still I already have a Glock SD weapon and this revolver is more of a range toy than anything. I will not be depending my life on it.

Lemme know whatcha guys know or think, I'm a noob at revolvers.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Rossi is currently owned by Taurus. Both are Brazilian manufacturers who used to have a spotty reputation for quality. It's worth noting however that Taurus has been seriously stepping up their game as of late, they have been making a higher quality product and offering much better service than they used to. I've even heard one story (though I'm unsure how true it is) of them offering 200$ off a new gun for someone who was having timing issues with an 80s production Taurus he bought used for $50. So if that's how they're running Taurus nowadays it must say good things about Rossi by proxy.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Hmm... that sounds pretty good! Thanks for the reply man!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtengu View Post
Howdy everyone quick question! As you know its christmas time and Santa has left me some money to buy a new toy! I've got about 325 and i saw that Turner's has a Rossi 357 Magnum on sale and i was wondering what you guys thought about it.

I looked up online for reviews but they varied pretty widely. Some said that theirs was extremely reliable and locked up smoothly. Others had stated that their firing pins mounted on their hammers broke within 5-6 shots. Most said good things though...

I can't afford a colt, smith and wesson, but maybe a Ruger. Still I already have a Glock SD weapon and this revolver is more of a range toy than anything. I will not be depending my life on it.

Lemme know whatcha guys know or think, I'm a noob at revolvers.
I have to chime in since I just bought one about 4 months ago. It was my first revolver (Im a noob too).
So, I have to say that I am really impressed with the gun. The cylinder has more lateral play than other revolvers, but that is because it is a Rossi. However, it does not affect the gun and how it shoots at all; the gun does not shave led, and has been very reliable for me. I would trust my life with it. I had different gunsmiths look at it and they all said it was fine!

I dry fire mine all the time, especially when I was qualifying with it because the instructor had us do so many, many, many times. Moreover, I would practice at home and dry fire it too. But, it would not be a bad idea to get some dummy rounds, it never hurts to be safe. To sum up... my firing pin is still there.

I have put about 1500 rounds of 357 and 38 combined (rough estimate - it could be more, but not less), and I have not had one problem at all.

The gun is not ported, so it has more kick to it. The trigger is about 10 or 12lbs but it gets a little softer after ample use. This gun is very, very accurate right out of the box, you will be impressed, mark my words. Everyone who shoots my Rossi 357 really likes it. Once they pick it up they all pause for a minute and say these grips feel nice! Or even ask, if it is custom.

I honestly cant say enough good things about Rossi/Taurus. I would buy it. You got a way better price than me. I paid $369.00.

My other gun is a Ruger P95 and I recently sold my Hi-Point C9. I like the Rossi more than the others - badas_ gun!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM

oh, I just have to add one more thing.

I went into a gun store just to buy ammo and then I saw the Rossi 357magnum and asked to pick it up and loo at it. Right when I picked it up, it just felt right and I have never experienced that before. That is why I bought it. I am one who thinks that the feel of a gun in your hand is important.
Old 12-14-2011, 1:24 PM

Wow awesome input sir! I think I just might get it then! Yeah its 369.00 I tell myself its cheaper and cry when i have to cough up the dough lol.

You guys were really helpful thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 1:30 PM

yeah, Im still paying mine off from the credit card. But, I have no regret. 357 is an awesome caliber for home defense and carry, in my opinion. Not that other calibers are not capable. I just dont want to mess around with having to put 3 or 4 bullets in someone. A 357 should stop a threat much quicker - say 1 or 2 bullets. Moreover, expensive guns are cool, but I think ones that cost a little less are also just as capable with proper care, so to sum up, its a good gun and I would buy another Rossi if I am ever in the market for another gun. They have nice long guns and a nice ranch hand.

Last edited by Vampyredark; 12-14-2011 at 1:33 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

hrmm interesting... was looking into the Rossi too! good to know!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 12-14-2011, 7:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Rossi 357 with a messed up cylinder bolt and I can't get the parts to fix it.
Old 12-14-2011, 8:37 PM

Was it the hammer nose that broke? How long have you had it and whats the round count on her?

Dang I just put the money down too.....
Old 12-15-2011, 5:57 PM

Bump!
Here's my trolling attempt!

Anyone else got info on Rossi Revolvers?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 PM

I just picked a used one up and it's still in lockdown.

My dad used to work at Turners and bought one about 5 years ago.. he's never had a problem and recommends it to everyone.
Old 12-16-2011, 8:36 AM

sometimes even higher quality guns have problems. Dont have regret. I am sure you will like it! I really like mine a lot!

Ill just leave it up to you to see.

Scar, why dont you send it back to the company for free repair? Just pay the stupid shipping.

Last edited by Vampyredark; 12-16-2011 at 8:41 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 8:47 AM
In Memoriam

I have liked all of mine with no problems.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that if you DO have to send one back it takes months.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

This gun is a great buy. I used to own one and kept it in my pocket when I go to check things out within my property. Friendly advice, get a good grip on it when you shoot it because it really has a painful recoil. Some shooters use 38 spl to soften the kick.
Old 12-16-2011, 3:36 PM

I have this gun and I love it, but I only shoot .38 special, or .38 +P because .357 magnum hurts so much I can barely get through six shots.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 AM

yeah it does hurt the hand, but there is no mistaking that the 357 will put someone down fast! For range practice, I just use 38's.

If you want to put more money into it, get it ported to reduce the kick
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Hey, you got your Rossi yet? What do you think!?