Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Desert Land

I am thinking about getting some desert in San Bernardino County. I found few acres with a cabin too. It has no water or electric. What the pros and cons owning a desert land? I mainly use it for bi-monthly outing and outdoor shooting. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 3:02 PM

It depends on what your purpose(s) is.

If all you are planning on doing is out door shooting on your own land, then the only real downside is you should be wary of snakes.

If you are planning on using it as a BO location, no water, no power = no easy survival.
Old 12-12-2011, 5:17 PM
CGN Contributor

I'm pretty sure San Bernardino County is shotgun only except for Federal land.

Here I am.
Old 12-12-2011, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ideally you want one (or more) border(s) to be Federal land.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-12-2011, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Ideally you want one (or more) border(s) to be Federal land.
Thank you and can explain little more why border with federal land?
Old 12-12-2011, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Have you seen the cabin in person yet?

The people I've known with remote part-time houses/cabins in the desert, especially SB, have a vandalism problem.

Lame shooters, dirt bikers and off-roaders, gangs, etc....

You might have to board up the windows every time you leave and nothing worth taking stored there. And they still might tear it up just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Thank you and can explain little more why border with federal land?
Nobody can buy it and develop it or limit your access. It's like having a permanent, GIANT back yard.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by olhunter; 12-12-2011 at 8:29 PM..
Old 12-12-2011, 8:31 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Not to mention with what you will pay in taxes on it every year, you can rent a private range at Burro ( every other week) or join a gun club and shoot without the hassels.
Old 12-12-2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Have you seen the cabin in person yet?

The people I've known with remote part-time houses/cabins in the desert, especially SB, have a vandalism problem.

Lame shooters, dirt bikers and off-roaders, gangs, etc....

You might have to board up the windows every time you leave and nothing worth taking stored there. And they still might tear it up just because.

Nobody can buy it and develop it or limit your access. It's like having a permanent, GIANT back yard.
Great points. Vandalism is what I am afraid of. If I own it, I couldn't be there more than twice a month, so meanwhile it would just waiting for the above mentioned.
Old 12-13-2011, 2:16 PM

You really want to find one with a well IMO. I own desert land. It is for long term investment and I bought it for cheap. Every year the SB County has an online tax auction and you can buy land (some with cabins) for very low prices.
Old 12-13-2011, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Desert land tends to be flat and empty, no trees or brush.

Not very good for privacy, no cover.

Eventually people will forget about you if you live there but you can't really go there to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 12-13-2011, 3:39 PM
Banned

Make sure all improvements have permits and are legit. I would buy mountain land before desert.
Old 12-13-2011, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I own land in Northern Nevada, we don't get any visitors there except a hunters once in a while. You have to go through too much private property (farmers) to get too it so we don't have off road users either which is nice.

Like a previous poster wrote - for visiting once in a while and staying a few days the water issue is no big deal (power either), but for a longer stay that would be a real difficult issue. It sounds though like its close; if its cheap and you can enjoy it great. Sounds like there are shooting issues \ restrictions though as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

First thing I'd check on is what you CAN and CAN'T do on your property - just because you own it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Including drilling a well.

I'd also suggest the idea of out of state land, in AZ or NV. I've been looking for the right vacation place to buy some property and I remember reading something about San Berdo or Riverside county going after some property owners and forcing them out off their 1-5 acre properties because of all kinds of trumped up zoning and code enforcement violations. If you buy (real) rural these issues will not be such an issue.

As also mentioned desert land is feature-less - and if you're out in the middle of flat nothing, whatever you put up is going to stand out for every offroader, or passerby to go investigate.

As a last pitch to AZ land - there are a lot (A LOT) of good deals, 36 acres for $15k with 10% down and owner carries over 10 or 15 year with no pre pay penalty.
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 12-13-2011, 5:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Not really a fan of desert land either due to lack of water, tough time growing food, and so on.

If you decide to do this you might think about buying a cargo container for storage. They are secure and fireproof. Some folks even convert them into reasonable living quarters.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 12-14-2011, 3:07 PM

What about a little further east ? Blythe area and north of there along the river. Good looking country with lots of fish and game , and WATER.
Old 12-15-2011, 6:45 AM

Great feedback guys. Keep them coming. I am also looking at another area near where rifles are legal near Barstow area. I am very close of driving out there and contact the county of SB and to see about regulations and fee.
Old 12-15-2011, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Our family has two 5 acre parcels next to each other. The first was a land grant from the 1950's when the gov would give you land.

The second we bought about 20 years ago. Both have cabins the first one is very rustic. no running water or elec. and the second has all the amenities.

The old cabin was broken into and lightly damaged about 30 years ago but other than that no problems.

Taxes are a couple hundred a year.

The desert is varied in flora. You can be in the Sahara or in a forrest of Joshua and juniper trees within a few miles of each other so shop wisely.

There's lots of water under the desert so have a dowser check any land you are interested in to see if you have water.

Having a cabin is a great thing. You get to go there and totally relax. You can be active or lazy and have a wonderful time.

Here I am.

Last edited by cannon; 12-15-2011 at 9:56 AM..
Old 12-15-2011, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

build a b unker under your concrete slab, with a hidden entrance. When SHTF crawl down into your bunker for a few months. Thenice thing about the desert is the winters are bearable if energy is hard to get. Water can be stored in the bunker as well as all the other goodies. You have to look at how people survived other failed Nations, you will find they had hidden rooms, bunkers, black markets and secret escape routes. I like the desert for the mentioned reasons and few want to venture far into the desert vs the mountains where all the zombies will go to hunt and live off the land. You will be safe from the zombies and the Democrats under your concrete slab in the desert.