Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-10-2011, 5:53 PM

Default Ruger MkIII or 1911 .22 conversion?

I need help from you guys deciding which route to go.
Started thinking about shooting .22LR for the cost saving aspect of the caliber. I was looking at a MKIII 22-45 since it would replicate the feel of my 1911, but I am not opposed to just getting a conversion kit instead.

So I guess the real question should be, is there a conversion kit out there that is just as accurate as the MKIII and just as reliable for about the same cost (or less)???

The bare bones 22-45 in my area seems to be about $300, add DROS and TAX to that and I'm roughly around $350

Another benefit I see of a conversion kit is that I'm using the trigger that's already on my 1911 instead of having to "improve" the trigger on another gun. I would also avoid the FFL transfer or DROS headache. Having it shipped to my door is more convenient.

Is it unrealistic to expect that a 1911 .22 conversion is going to be as accurate as a MKIII?
Old 12-10-2011, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Advantage Arms sells 1911 conversion kits. Your LGS may have one. IIRC, the price was around $250-$300.

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
Old 12-10-2011, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

MK III hands down. It has a mighty fine trigger as-is(SA). Just put another 400 or so rounds through my MKII today. I bought it used last month and I've had 1200 rounds trouble free from federal bulk ammo. Super accurate too. Even magazines are cheaper(about $18 from midway for ruger mags).
Thats a tall order from a 1911 .22 or a conversion kit. The MK III will whip a 1911 .22 version all day long and twice on sunday. The 1911 kits are reportedly sometimes picky with ammo as well. No sense in buying a 1911 .22 to save money then having to use .22 ammo that is .10 per round. I've seen the 22/45's go for $270 on sale. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat
Old 12-10-2011, 7:50 PM
✯ Jr Government Man
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

MKIII,

Better to have a whole ‘nother gun for the price of a conversion kit is my saying (That and the ruger is a quality firearm)

-------
Old 12-10-2011, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

I went through this same kind of decision a week ago. I chose the Mark III 22/45. Reason was that I liked the idea that the 22/45 is a dedicated .22LR pistol, not a conversion. Also, as stated, conversions can be notoriously picky with ammo. I have little patience for a pistol that doesn't work properly right out of the box.
Old 12-10-2011, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have and recommend the 22/45. Turner's has them on sale for $269.98 until December 29th.
Old 12-10-2011, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
I have and recommend the 22/45. Turner's has them on sale for $269.98 until December 29th.
Winner!
Old 12-10-2011, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

MKiii 22/45.
Bought one for my RunNGuns to go with my tacticool 10/22. Love it!

My dad really liked shooting it as well so I bought him a stainless slab side for his 70th bday. Really good looking gun.
Old 12-11-2011, 8:15 AM

Get the Ruger. Whats a little wait for a gun that you will enjoy shooting. Also there are plenty of after market parts that will make it a great little shooter. Bonus also will be you won't have to disassemble and reassemble your gun to change calibers, I only see problems in doing that.
Old 12-11-2011, 8:25 AM

The 22/45 is a blast, I'm jealous that it's my wife's and it is the most fun to shoot ;-)
Old 12-11-2011, 8:44 AM

Use gun genie to find cheaper prices if your local FFL's are on the high side and see what pops up.

I know I have been looking at the 22/45 lately as well and can order from gun genie for $306 out the door with a couple of the FFL options.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM

What do the "additional fees" on gun genie consist of?
$25 for DROS plus what ever the dealer wants to tack on top of that?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatrogenic View Post
What do the "additional fees" on gun genie consist of?
$25 for DROS plus what ever the dealer wants to tack on top of that?
The other fees generally include DROS and shipping sometimes (different shops will have closer to just DROS then others). But the final price on Gun Genie is what you are suppose to pay (the subtotal).

I know most of my local shops have it in stock in the $300 plus price range, but Gun Genie I can walk out the door with it for $306 in two of the FFL options close to me. They are charging just the $25 for DROS in the "additional fees", the only other unexpected charge would be if you did not have the handgun safety card already. If they try to charge you more then the Gun Genie total then you can contact them.

Also you get the lifetime guarantee for the gun if anything fails. Another plus

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM
In Memoriam

Have both Ruger Mark II huinter and Kimber deodicated .22 -- whoch would I recommend?
MArk III Ruger. The 1911 conversions are particularly ammo sensitive. The Ruger will shoot anything, accurately.
Old 12-11-2011, 4:29 PM

Get a gun that was built for the caliber. Conversions are finicky. How about a GSG 1911, looks and feels like the real 1911 and uses 80% of 1911 parts, you can clone the gsg 1911 to the 1911 you have now, grips, trigger, ect. For almost the same price of a conversion you can have another gun that was built to shoot .22 Just my two cents.
Old 12-11-2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM RICK View Post
Get a gun that was built for the caliber. Conversions are finicky. How about a GSG 1911, looks and feels like the real 1911 and uses 80% of 1911 parts, you can clone the gsg 1911 to the 1911 you have now, grips, trigger, ect. For almost the same price of a conversion you can have another gun that was built to shoot .22 Just my two cents.
This
Old 12-11-2011, 5:48 PM

I was torn between the conversion kit or the MKIII earlier this year, bought the MKIII and glad I made that decision.
Old 12-11-2011, 9:35 PM

>>>
Also, as stated, conversions can be notoriously picky with ammo.
>>>

To assume that 22LR pistols are NOT picky with ammo is to be gravely mistaken.

I have had excellent results with my $280 Kimber 22LR upper - NOT the Ciener, the later Kimber engineered version. Wally World Winchester bulk works just fine, but when I shoot it with Wolf Match Target, it shoots nice small groups with the excellent sights and my fitted slide stop. My sons have grown up shooting 22LR on this Kimber upper and an SA Inc lower, with a Wilson trigger. Back about 5 years ago, my 10 year old loved that it looked just like his BF1942 1911 (yes, he was 5 then). They now very much enjoy shooting a BHP clone from Argentina, the FM95. It is just as reliable as the Kimber, which is to say VERY, it just costs me more for them to shoot. They complain about the trigger, though.

I have been shooting a Ruger Standard Target since I was 5 years old, so coming up on 38 years, and it is a very accurate and difficult to clean pistol. It has great target sights and a spongy hinged trigger, which hasn't changed in the last 7 decades. I have a late 50's Hi Standard Sport King with an excellent hinged trigger and TERRIBLE feed problems from factory and aftermarket magazines.

Why are you all comparing hinged triggers with sliding triggers? They're very different!! If you want a 1911 equivalent, get a 1911 conversion!!

>>>
The Ruger will shoot anything, accurately.
>>>

Baloney. Shoot some Federal Match with the dimpled case head. Shoot some Winchester Dynapoint. Get back to me about anything, accurately. I had to wring out a 22/45 when I was on RSO duty one day because the poor guy thought he was going crazy. Nope, just the very normal "shoot what the gun likes" situation.

>>>
Get a gun that was built for the caliber.
>>>

Seriously? Did you even read what you wrote?

Regards,
Brian in CA
Old 12-13-2011, 8:29 PM

You wont dissappointed with the ruger. It's well built, and shoots great. Very accurate. I have Mark III, target model. Shoots any brand of ammo well.
Old 12-14-2011, 1:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

In my experience with conversion kits, they have always been finicky and the recoil was kind of odd. You are correct about the trigger being the same when you use a conversion unit, but that does not out weigh the benefits of accuracy, comfort and reliability of the Ruger!

George P.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with all those who went with a MKIII. Like many others.. I went through the same decision and actually did start off with a conversion kit. Ultimately.. I got sick of swapping out the slide at the range and risking either dropping or mixing parts. Sold my conversion kits and just got a Ruger 22/45 MKIII and couldn't be happier. Now I shoot it way more, switch back and forth, and it is extremely accurate... honestly.. sometimes it feels like I'm cheating.

If you want to get the 22/45 to feel more like a 1911, I can send you the contact info a a gentleman on rimfirecentral that'll do a conversion to the frame that'll allow it to accept any 1911 grips.
Old 12-15-2011, 5:17 PM
1911 & AR-15 fan
CGN Contributor

I finally got my MKIII to the range. The trigger was actually pretty crisp, but the excessive pre-travel and pivoting action did throw me off. It ate Federal and Winchester bulk ammo without a hiccup. It also liked CCI Mini-Mags. I did have three Federals that didn't go bang the first time, but they did fire the second time they were struck.

The first string, well, sucked, but they did improve with each subsequent magazine. The grip angle was very familiar. It was very obvious that the grip is substantially narrower. I hope to get that fixed with thicker grips or a spacer.

I really HATE the mag disco. It made changing mags a real pain. Sam Lan's or Volquartesen's hammer bushing is going to be one of my next purchases, in addition to that ultimate cliploader and mag bumper.

BTW, I have a very old and very reliable Pachmayr 22 conversion by Peters Stahl on a dedicated frame.

I still do prefer the trigger movement of the 1911 trigger, but the MKII 22/45 does make adding optics a lot easier with the pre-drilled barrel, factory provided scope rail. It makes the alignment of the sight and the barrel a lot easier.

Last edited by sirgrumps; 12-15-2011 at 5:22 PM..
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
MKIII,

Better to have a whole ‘nother gun for the price of a conversion kit is my saying (That and the ruger is a quality firearm)
Gotta agree with this statement 100 bazillion percent.

A gun designed from top to bottom for a specific caliber is preferable, IMHO, to conversion kits.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Love my 22/45. Sam's bushing and the ultimate cliploader are must have's IMO. Only problem with the mkIII's is disassembly/reassembly the first few times...
Old 12-21-2011, 8:57 PM

Browning is supposed to come out with their 22 1911 in a smaller than 45 scale.
Not sure when it will be approved for Kali.
Ruger is planning on releasing their SP101 style in both 22 and 22 mag which will be sent in for approval on the roster sometime next year.
I have a Colt conversion kit and Ruger MK II's and 22/45 MKII and MKIII. All excellent choices.
Tactical Solutions also make a .22 conversion kit.
Good Luck