Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Default .308 mauser (spanish i think?) (omg less than 24 hours...)

well here we go i finally got my first rifle, an m48 spanish mauser chambered for .308.

here we go:

and...:

oh snap! 8 more days til the ten day waiting period is over

sorry to fool you but i warned you lol... well im goin crazy durring this waiting period so i now feel everyones pain who wants to buy guns all the time. it would make life feel longer in general. LOL

Last edited by spencerk; 11-07-2011 at 7:08 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 6:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Bastard. Ive been wanting one of these.

Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-02-2011, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Old 11-02-2011, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

DROS?

They are hard to find -

Scored my FR8 C&R in Ventura.

Now on the hunt for a C&R semi-auto in .308
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
Bastard. Ive been wanting one of these.
haha yeah the minute the owner of the gunstore I got it at told me it was chamered in .308 i nearly crapped my pants and begged him to hold it for me, for what ended up being 2 months because i had to spend 1200 on my car and was left with nothing... but whatever only 6 days til its mine!

speaking of which how much are these worth? mines even the machined metal version instead of stamped. its stock is a tiny bit beat up. im probably gonna be clobbared on the head when everybody sees what im gonna do to it... lol. OD green paint.... ive always wanted an od green mauser, and durring a recent search, i could only find one other one on the internet... so i actually feel pretty original... lol but not really. seriously tho how much are they worth? I got it for $200 OTD.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

If memory serves, many of those spanish mausers are small ring and chambered on 7.62 nato. Shooting the higher pressured .308 through them is generally not recomended.

Not trying to be a buzzkill on your first rifle. Just want to make sure you've done your homework, and are fully aware of what you're purchasing. Having a gun blow up on you is no fun at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 11-02-2011, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
If memory serves, many of those spanish mausers are small ring and chambered on 7.62 nato. Shooting the higher pressured .308 through them is generally not recomended.

Not trying to be a buzzkill on your first rifle. Just want to make sure you've done your homework, and are fully aware of what you're purchasing. Having a gun blow up on you is no fun at all.
good info although i am aware of this. lol. how would it hand a .243? would it be more pressureized because of the fact that there is less space for the gasses to excape or would it be less because of the lighter bullet? i am planning on modding the heck out of it so if I can make it stronger i definatly will want to do that lol. i want to rechamber it to .243 for coyote and maybe some deer hunting but the pressure issues have worried me for a while now. even if, i could always get super into it and turn it .223 for less pressure but it'l be a butt ton of work i am told.

on a side note my dad will be giving me his shotgun which i would love to rechamber with a rifled barrel for .45 colt or .44 magnum as well but i have no idea if this is even a good idea. i was thinking if it could handle the pressures that i would go .45-70 and have a serious self defense/trail gun.
Old 11-02-2011, 4:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post

There is an FR7 and an FR8 model - different rifles in what are otherwise similar rifles converted from old stocks of Mausers the Spaniards had stockpiled. The FR8 were rechambered for and more than strong enough for 7.62x51 mm owing to their Mauser 1898/large ring 8mm Mauser beginnings. The FR7 are based on the 1893 model (2 lug bolt) and as I understand it all of them are chambered in 7mm Mauser. None were originally chambered in 7.62x51 mm by the Spanish military, though that doesn't guarantee what might have happened after import. I'd agree that such hack jobs should not be trusted.

BTW, I'd love an FR8 myself.

http://207.36.233.89/shooting/spanis...tion/index.asp

R
Old 11-02-2011, 5:00 PM

Im Pretty sure this isnt some hack job. Bore is in amazing condition and so is the rest of the rifle. Ill have too check if its a small ring or large ring. Although im pretty sure its a small ring. But we shall see next tuesday. Anybody know its worth?
Old 11-02-2011, 5:06 PM

Location: Riverside, Southern Province, People's Republic of KALIFORNIA

I bought a 1916 Spanish Mauser in .308 (7.62 NATO) from Samco a few months ago for $202 shipped in very nice condition.

Your "M48" doesn't make sense to me on a Spanish Mauser so I don't know what you have.
This is mine...

Old 11-02-2011, 5:31 PM

ok that looks exactly like my rifle. like to the dot. lol. what brand ammo are you running through it? my dad ordered me 500 rnds of brown bear 145 gr fmj's as a gift and just told me lol.

ps: beautiful mauser. only thing i dont like about this model is the grip on it... it doesnt hang down enough to me but ima fix that up right fast on mine. the gunsmiths thought it would be a great project rifle so i went with it.
Old 11-02-2011, 5:49 PM

Although, people do shoot 308 from these rifles the is a lot of controversy regarding if they are safe enough to do so.
Do some research on this and draw your own conclusions.
I reload for mine and I load them down quite a bit to make ME feel better about shooting it.
I don't mind doing that at all, saves on powder!
I have also had very good luck loading it with cast lead bullets intended for the .30 M1 carbine. Real fun and accurate...

Last edited by JAGGUY; 11-02-2011 at 6:24 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I am of the camp that feels that 7.62 NATO is the wiser choice for these guns. I know that they can normally handle commercial .308, BUT... You never know how much abuse your rifle has taken before you bought it. And depending on when it was made, the metalurgy might not be (read: is not) on par with German-made mausers. I have run .308 through mine with no ill effects. But I stopped because I didn't feel like pushing my luck. 7.62 NATO is fairly easy and inexpensive to find online. That is the route I would go. Or if you reload, back your loadings down about 10% and call it good. You won't notice any difference, and your gun is likely to last longer. Remember, these were designed for 7x57, with an max preassure of 45,000 CPU. The commercial .308 can get well above 52,000 CPU.

Other than that, have fun with it. They are great little guns.

-Mb
Old 11-02-2011, 6:12 PM

i know im gonna get called "bubba" and get bashed for even asking this but saying its going to be sporterized wether any of you like it or not (if it was a sweedish mauser i wouldnt touch it, im a huge firearms and war history fan), and i bouught it to upgrade it, so heres my question, what would i need to do to make it tolerate this kinds of pressures, or is it even possible to do?
Old 11-02-2011, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

In the Spanish Mausers -

The FR8 is the ONLY one that runs .308 Win safely.

All others should run 7.62 NATO ammo.

That's exactly why I waited for an FR8......
Old 11-02-2011, 6:23 PM

what would i need to do to make it tolerate this kinds of pressures, or is it even possible to do?

Nothing really. It is what it is.....
Old 11-02-2011, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

The correct model designation is a Model 1916. Many were converted to .308. As said above the FR-7 were of the small ring receiver and the FR-8 were conversions of the large ring Mauser action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 11-02-2011, 7:25 PM

well when i looked at it again today at the gunstore im pretty sure the "ring" protruded and wasnt flush with the rest of the body. like it looked beefy. i just read up on them and im actually pretty sure its an FR-8 because it looks like the action of the one they posted, but i was a complete dumbass and forgot to take a pic after measuring the butt for a leather lace on buttpad i hella want to put on temporarily (i dislocated my shoulder during a baseball game and ever since it hasnt really fit right and pops around and crap, when i shot the 50 bmg, it malfunctioned and the internal recoil deccelerater or whatever it is that makes the barrel slide back got jammed and my shoulder dislocated from that. the gun slid back 2-3 inches but my body did not... just my shooting arm...). plus i think it gives it that american old west look. call me bubba in the bay or the suburban redneck (what my friends call me) but i dont care. i love the old west look.and ill try to swap the ammo for some 7.62 nato just to be safe. although i love guns that go boom lol. not that the 7.62 nato is a ***** round or anything cus it aint.
Old 11-02-2011, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

There is nothing that you can do to it to make it take higher pressures. And yes, you are going to be a Bubba. While these guns don't have a lot of collector's value, realize that you are going to be throwing away several hundred dollars to make a second-rate sporter. You are wasting your time, your money, and a decent enough rifle for no real reason. Your gun, your choice. But I wouldn't if I were you. You would be better off finding an old commercial rifle, or going with a Stevens Model 200. They will cost you much less in the long run, and you end up with a much better rifle. Milsurps are interesting because that are milsurps. Not because they are the best shooters in the world. Any of the cheapest commercial guns from the last 40 years (the Remington 710 and 770 excepted) will out perform all but a tiny fraction of the milsurps you are likely to run into. Butchering them in hopes of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse is a serious waste of time.

-Mb
Old 11-02-2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
There is nothing that you can do to it to make it take higher pressures. And yes, you are going to be a Bubba. While these guns don't have a lot of collector's value, realize that you are going to be throwing away several hundred dollars to make a second-rate sporter. You are wasting your time, your money, and a decent enough rifle for no real reason. Your gun, your choice. But I wouldn't if I were you. You would be better off finding an old commercial rifle, or going with a Stevens Model 200. They will cost you much less in the long run, and you end up with a much better rifle. Milsurps are interesting because that are milsurps. Not because they are the best shooters in the world. Any of the cheapest commercial guns from the last 40 years (the Remington 710 and 770 excepted) will out perform all but a tiny fraction of the milsurps you are likely to run into. Butchering them in hopes of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse is a serious waste of time.

-Mb
im going to Mt. Lassen gunsmithing school this coming august so im not going to have to sink a terrible amount of money into it as i wont be doing it "BUBBA" style. this is why im asking about making it into a different calliber. the whole reason i liked this rifle is it would be strong enough to take modification, especially if i downgraded the caliber to somthing smaller. if .243 win fits the bill im doing that as one of my first actual projects for school, the rebarreling project. plus the mauser is the single firearm used the most throughout the program apparantly so i thought why not get it incase i dont have the money to get anything else down the line BEFORE school started. it was half the money my dad wanted to spend (it was an early xmas gift for gunsmithing school), and it could be used for hunting.
Old 11-02-2011, 7:47 PM

nvm on .243... looks like it would create MORE pressure... damn....

anyone wanna help me think of ideas for a calliber to convert this rifle to? would it be able to be modified to fit a .223? or any other smaller calliber, or what about 7.62x39?
Old 11-02-2011, 7:51 PM

I just pick up a fr7 small ring type. I did some research and found the test results that showed that the small ring Spanish Mauser was indeed safe for .308 commercial loads. I am new to the forum so do your own research. The worst confirmed problems I could find was headspace issues over time so check that once in a while.

That said, I shoot 7.62 milsurp or handloads similar to the .300 savage so I am not the first confirmed casualty.
Old 11-02-2011, 7:56 PM

I read that too but that being said i still want to be safe, and need projects for this rifle so this thread will be brought up often when i need ideas. Im just trying to see what I can and can't do to it

Last edited by spencerk; 11-02-2011 at 7:59 PM.. Reason: stupid iphone typos
Old 11-02-2011, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

The FR8's are carbine length - And have the "gas tube looking thing"...

Like these: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...=3022&Items=50
Old 11-02-2011, 8:32 PM

a bunch of Guardia Mausers were sent to H.P. White, a testing company, and tested to destruction. The SAAMI maximum of 55,000 psi (lbs/sq.in.) for the .308 Win was exceeded—and the rifles were finally destroyed at 98,000 psi!

I copied this from another forum and have seen the test results but can't seem to find them now. But it's all from the Internet so take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-03-2011, 7:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerk View Post
Im Pretty sure this isnt some hack job. Bore is in amazing condition and so is the rest of the rifle. Ill have too check if its a small ring or large ring. Although im pretty sure its a small ring. But we shall see next tuesday. Anybody know its worth?
I'm pretty sure the M48 is a Yugo-produced version of the German Mauser. If it is an M48 in .308 don't worry, it's already been bubba'd.

So, maybe the weapon is a rebarreled Yugo.

FR7's and FR8's are Spanish Mausers...

Maybe let us know the markings the rifle?? At this point, I'm not sure what you have

-hanko
The coast of California
Must be somewhere over here, over here
Greatful Dead
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 11-03-2011, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
im going to Mt. Lassen gunsmithing school this coming august so im not going to have to sink a terrible amount of money into it as i wont be doing it "BUBBA" style. this is why im asking about making it into a different calliber. the whole reason i liked this rifle is it would be strong enough to take modification, especially if i downgraded the caliber to somthing smaller. if .243 win fits the bill im doing that as one of my first actual projects for school, the rebarreling project. plus the mauser is the single firearm used the most throughout the program apparantly so i thought why not get it incase i dont have the money to get anything else down the line BEFORE school started. it was half the money my dad wanted to spend (it was an early xmas gift for gunsmithing school), and it could be used for hunting.
Ok, THAT is way different that being a bubba. And that makes much more sense. It is not really a matter of using a smaller caliber. Reducing the bullet size has little to do with pressure. .243 is loaded just as hot as .308 is. If you want to change the caliber, you are going to have to look at lower pressure cartridges. Normally with these older mausers, the cartridges you look at are the ones that were designed back then to work at the same pressure levels the gun was designed for. The most common ones are 7x57 Mauser (what it was chambered for originally), 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, .257 Roberts, .300 Savage and .250-3000 (also known as .250 Savage). I know converting them to .35 Remington was also fairly popular for a while way back when. Any of those will make good cartridges for hunting anything up to deer size with no real problems. I did most of my hunting over the last 15 years with one or another of them. If this is going to be your project gun for gunsmithing school, I would definately get rid of the 7.62 barrel.

-Mb
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM

We actually have a list of 30 or so guns needed for school. This one is just the most common one we have to work on. Thanks for the info on the pressures i did some research last night and im stuck between 7x51, 7.62x39, and possibly .44 mag or .45-70. I feel i would make a great brush gun. And i have it narrowed to an fr8 or fr7 so when i get it ill be modifying it accordingly.

also i want to add some wood to the stock around the grip area before i repaint it to add a bit more grip while shooting. anybody done this to theirs yet?

Btw thanks for all the info and help. i narrowed it down from my original multinational label to the spanish fr7 and fr8. probably doesnt matter what it is right now in the long run, saying its gonna end up with an OD green stock, bull barrel, extended 10 round internal mag, compensator, bi-pod, and probably double that much stuff done to it. its pretty much gonna be a scout/medium range target and hunting rifle. also .17 remington just popped into my head....

Last edited by spencerk; 11-03-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Sorry for the double post but i found out that my uncle actually has a small ring mauser he shoots brown bear/silver bear .308 ammo out of and said he found its pressures to be closer to that of 7.62 nato than factory .308. Idk if i should take his word for it or not but im gonna try a few rounds on a bench with some twine and if it goes boom without any problems (ill useba digital micrometer to measure headspace after every shot) ill try her out myself after cleaning it and looking it over good enough to feel it doesnt have any damage ill keep shooting. My dad bought me some 145 grain brown bear ammo so i might as well try it
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry for the double post but i found out that my uncle actually has a small ring mauser he shoots brown bear/silver bear .308 ammo out of and said he found its pressures to be closer to that of 7.62 nato than factory .308. Idk if i should take his word for it or not but im gonna try a few rounds on a bench with some twine and if it goes boom without any problems (ill useba digital micrometer to measure headspace after every shot) ill try her out myself after cleaning it and looking it over good enough to feel it doesnt have any damage ill keep shooting. My dad bought me some 145 grain brown bear ammo so i might as well try it
Russian ammo is loaded light compared to US/Euro standards, so what pressure that is generating may be MUCH lower then some Winchester 308

Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Great info. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Im gonna need tofind shooting partners soon too so anyone who shoots in the bay area is free to pm me if interested.
Old 11-04-2011, 6:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Ugh...I know I'm gonna sound like a jerk here. Sorry, but unless your uncle has some sophisticated test equipment he has no real idea of what actual chamber pressures are. I'd be very skeptical of that kind of information.

Please be careful with your gunsmithing projects, and research everything thoroughly. This is a hobby where mistakes can have serious consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 AM

I normally would too but out of everyone i know personally, hes the safest shooter and the only person who has over 50 guns... Lol
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
well here we go i finally got my first rifle, an m48 spanish mauser chambered for .308.

He has the highly elusive and very rare invisible M48 Mauser...while they were made in moderate numbers, they were often placed down and lost...or commandeered by ninjas

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 11-04-2011, 9:42 PM

dont worry, that "invisible rifle" will magically appear in its case on tuesday with pictures from a real digital camera hopefully. im sick of my damn iphone camera. it wont capture the lines of a gun for some reason. lol
Old 11-07-2011, 1:23 PM

One more day til i pick up the Mauser!!! Only one problem though... idk what kind of lock im supposed to have for it

Can somebody tell me what the laws are for rifle locks? this is one thing that slipped my mind after purchasing the gun, yet i still remembered to order a buttpad and a shell holder for it... Woooops!
Old 11-07-2011, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

You should be able to sign the safe waiver if you have a safe. If not any cable lock will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Alrighty then i signed the safe waiver but im gonna get a lock anyways to, pardon my french, cover my ***. It never hurts to be extra safe
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Ok so the gunstore lost my paperwork... They say i cant get my rifle til they find it but its paid for and the wait period is up but i cant get my mauser over a mistake they made? Absolutely retarded
Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM

I didnt read all if this, but there are small ring Mausers chambered in .308.

Its not .308win, its not 7.62x51, its .308 Cetme! Thats a different creature.

If its not chambered for Win or NATO, fire at your own risk.