Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-09-2011, 3:02 AM

Default Volquartsen bolt assist for Ruger Mark 3?

Hi all,

Anyone that has one of these, have you had any luck keeping the allen screws that attach the unit to the bolt tight? I've soaked the screws and the assist in acetone and then used the high strength red loctite and the screws still loosen up under the shock of the bolt moving. I did let the red loctite cure for more than 24 hours too.

I love the assist itself, it makes it really easy to rack the bolt and it looks kind of cool too. My next step might be to take it to a gunsmith to see if he/she has any ideas to permanently attach the unit to the bolt. If you've had success with this issue, please let me know what you used to keep the thing tight.

TIA,

Les
Old 12-09-2011, 8:35 AM

Why not give them a call at Volquartzen and ask them, they may have an easy fix.
Old 12-09-2011, 7:54 PM

I emailed Nic Volquartsen and asked for any suggestions. We'll see if he responds with anything. I know it's small potato's for him, but if I'm having so many problems, then others must be having them as well.

Believe it or not, this is my second bolt assist. My first one developed stress cracks at the "ears" that hold the main piece onto the bolt. Now I am seeing the beginnings of the same sort of stress cracks in the new one in addition to the screw issues. I don't know about this product. If the aluminum is too soft to withstand the action of the bolt, then another light and stronger material such as titanium would make it right.

I don't know at this point if I'll be throwing any more money at getting this product to work. I know that I can get it to stay on by having a gunsmith drill straight through the whole thing, counter sink it, and then drill and tap the back of the bolt to attach a beefy cap screw, but I don't know if I'll go that far.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Why are you using this product anyway? I think the MK II/III is perfect the way it is. Yes it will pinch your fingers if you aren't SUPER careful, but other than that, whats the point? Are you in competition or something? Just aesthetics?
Not criticizing, just wondering.
Old 12-10-2011, 4:55 AM

Yeah, it's not necessary. It's just really SUPER easy to rack the bolt with just a flick of the wrist, and I think it does look pretty good too. It doesn't seem to be worth the trouble though.

Last edited by Les K; 12-10-2011 at 4:58 AM..
Old 12-10-2011, 9:47 AM

got a picture of where the cracks are? could be design or machining issue rather than material.
Old 12-10-2011, 1:20 PM

I don't have a picture, but the crack is right where the grooves start if you are familiar with the product. I think that both design and material might be at fault.

The design because of the very high stress put on the aluminum at this point and it is magnified when the screws start to loosen and the assembly can move around and jar against the bolt ears. Short of tapping holes for screws right into the bolt however, there is really no other way that I can think of to attach any assembly to the rear of the bolt.

The designer could have specified the use of titanium or an alloy thereof that would be way stronger than any aluminum though. I should also be even lighter. If the titanium is lighter, then more material could be used at the high stress point without adding any weight. That would allow me to really crank the assembly tight without fear of cracking the ears that attach to the bolt. But then again, the cost of the product would probably be double or more.....

I'll have to sit down and try to figure out how to post a picture on here. As soon as I can, I'll take a photo.