Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-08-2011, 8:47 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!
Default Midway Competition range bag. A++++++++++++

Well, I just got the Midwayusa.com "Competition Range Bag" the other day. They did a black friday sale of $29.99 so I couldn't resist. All I can say is that I'm SOOOO happy with that bag. Very robust, they've got pockets everywhere in all kinds of depths and sizes to fit all your needs. First off it has a bag in a bag. There is a secondary bag you can carry other things in but honestly I just took it out for room in the main compartment. I love the mag holster compartment, it makes finding my mags much easier, a brass bag with mesh on the bottom to get rid of dirt and rocks, a water bottle holder, an offset shoulder strap that really works. I loaded that thing with pistol ammo, rifle ammo, a Redfield Spotting scope, tripod, shooting muffs, 2 rags, oil, tools, mags, 2 pistols (which sat inside the zipped shooting rug!) front and rear sand bags, shoot-n-see targets, competition targets, and there was still a LOT of room inside for plenty more if I needed it. The only way I could see it being any better is making it a backpack style strap for both shoulders. I got the OD green bag and its fantastic. Even at full price, its the best shooting bag I've ever owned and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...39BrandPopProd

Here's a link for everyone to buy one! I should work for midway or something.

Last edited by bombadillo; 12-08-2011 at 9:00 AM..
Old 12-08-2011, 8:48 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Last edited by bombadillo; 12-08-2011 at 9:02 AM..
Old 12-08-2011, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a good bag, but it's missing the ability to easily lock the main compartment(could be done with a pair of locks, locking the zippers to the d-ring I guess, but I don't like that the velcro can still be easily opened).
Old 12-08-2011, 9:05 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Yeah, It could use a lock, but typically I would lock up my guns in a lock box so as to stay out of trouble if the law came snooping. The pics on the Midway site just don't do it justice. The pouches on the ends are large enough for a pair of muffs and a bunch of plugs for friends, the gusseting on the straps are great, and its just well built for $40 bucks at the moment. I'm loving it more and more when I get to use it.
Old 12-08-2011, 9:08 AM

I have had the exact same bag for about two years. Unfortunately the stitching isn't very high quality on the velcro and it's starting to tear off. My wife has the smaller Midway bag and on both of the bags the zipper pulls have come off on most of the compartments. Easy to fix by replacing them with paracord but a bit annoying when it happens to you at the range.

In summary, it's a great bag for the price but it's not going to last you forever without some issues. In my case I'd rate it as B or B+.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Yeah I have this bag and I love it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM

i love mine too. however, i also wish you could lock the main compartment.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Yeah, It could use a lock, but typically I would lock up my guns in a lock box so as to stay out of trouble if the law came snooping. The pics on the Midway site just don't do it justice. The pouches on the ends are large enough for a pair of muffs and a bunch of plugs for friends, the gusseting on the straps are great, and its just well built for $40 bucks at the moment. I'm loving it more and more when I get to use it.
I also have a locking pelican case, however it would have simply been nice for a bag this big to be easily secured so I didn't have to drag the pelican case along if I didn't want to. You can't lock up the zippered pouches it comes with either. A couple of tabs to run a lock though shouldn't have been that difficult of an idea during the design process.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM

i have one of them on the way!!!
that price was just to good!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM

I have the "compact" version. I only use it for carrying 4-6 pistols with mags/speed loaders, ammo, hearing/eye protection, holsters, targets, tools, cleaning kit/supplies, and even a tablet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...014ID939160870

I also have two of the soft cases that they had on sale for $9.99. That's how I can hold so many pistols/mags. The soft case's main compartment can hold two full size pistols contained within gun rugs(so they don't bang together), and the other two front pockets can hold most anything you want(capable of holding a M&P9c/G26/ etc. if you like). They also each have 7 magazine compartments with velcro closure.

A must have along with the range bags : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...014ID939259680

The only reason I have to get the larger bag is wanting it...

Jesus was Black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the Government lied about 9/11.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Great bag. I have one myself. May order another one if it's still $29.99. My other bag took awhile to arrive.

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM

I bought the same bag a few years ago and love it! It's a great value. I actually use a cable lock to lock it up. I close both zippers then run the cable lock through the zippers and the D-ring/D-ring sleeve. It seems to be pretty secure. I'll try to get a picture of it later when I get home.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I punched two holes through the middle of the velcro part, secured them with metal eyes, and I run a cable lock through them and the zippers and secure it to a D-Ring. Pretty secure that way.

It's a great bag, but it would be nice if they'd thought on that one issue. On the other hand, the number of times the bag is out of my sight and not in a locked trunk while it has a gun in it is negligible.

Since it's just as easy to lift the bag entirely in most cases as it is to fish around for a gun inside, I guess I don't care much, and for the price it's an awesome bag.
Old 12-08-2011, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

I keep putting off buying this bag, even when it's on sale because shipping for this item alone is $20... Paying $20 to ship a $30 item is just... silly...
Old 12-08-2011, 1:51 PM

I received the same bag for Christmas last year and absolutely love it. Ito lock it, I just run a cable lock through the two zippers and the shoulder strap d-rings and that secures it nicely.
Old 12-08-2011, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
I keep putting off buying this bag, even when it's on sale because shipping for this item alone is $20... Paying $20 to ship a $30 item is just... silly...
So buy a $30 bag, some glasses, earplugs, ammo, etc. at the same time. That's what I did.
Old 12-08-2011, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

definitely have to check this out!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 12-08-2011, 3:08 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
So buy a $30 bag, some glasses, earplugs, ammo, etc. at the same time. That's what I did.
Shipping for me was like $6.00 with a set if electronic muffs too.
Old 12-08-2011, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shipping for me was like $6.00 with a set if electronic muffs too.
Weird, everytime I do their shipping estimate using standard ground shipping, it always costs me around $20.

Edit: Just checked right now, shipping is $15 via UPS ground to San Ramon.
Old 12-08-2011, 4:11 PM

This bag = Awesome.

And it looks like they redesigned it a bit since I bought mine because I don't think my side pouch unzips all the way like that and I don't think I have those dividers in the center pouch. My only (minor) complaints:

1. It tends to get really heavy

2. The velcro they use is too sharp. It scratches my arm when I try to reach in and it will destroy any cloth it comes in contact with causing a fuzzy/frayed mess. You know how the handles can be velcro'd together? Well, my handles are starting to fray because the velcro handle is tearing up the non-velcro handle. Maybe they fixed this in newer models?

Still, best bag ever.
Old 12-08-2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Weird, everytime I do their shipping estimate using standard ground shipping, it always costs me around $20.

Edit: Just checked right now, shipping is $15 via UPS ground to San Ramon.

I have the same problem(livermore) I actually purchased my rifle bag locally because of their highway robbery on shipping. I'm considering this bag now, but cant get past the shipping. I shouldn't have to buy 5 items to make up for shipping. Price gouging on shipping pisses me off and makes me buy elsewhere
Old 12-08-2011, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSIAN View Post
I have the same problem(livermore) I actually purchased my rifle bag locally because of their highway robbery on shipping. I'm considering this bag now, but cant get past the shipping. I shouldn't have to buy 5 items to make up for shipping. Price gouging on shipping pisses me off and makes me buy elsewhere
You guys realize they ship it in a box that's the size of the bag, right? It's not folded up or anything.
Old 12-08-2011, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You guys realize they ship it in a box that's the size of the bag, right? It's not folded up or anything.
Why would I pay $9 more than another Calgunner above has to for shipping to my particular location? You'd think that all around CA the shipping prices would be the same, but apparently someone only had to pay $6 shipping for the bag plus earmuffs. Doesn't seem to make sense...

And yeah I know the box they ship it in is the same size as the bag. MidwayUSA isn't particularly good at compacting products down or using the right sized box even. They once shipped me two small Volquartsen 10/22 parts in a box the size of a standard shoebox, when a tiny envelope for $.50 would have sufficed.
Old 12-08-2011, 5:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i'd say that's a deal at the price you paid.
Old 12-08-2011, 5:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Why would I pay $9 more than another Calgunner above has to for shipping to my particular location? You'd think that all around CA the shipping prices would be the same, but apparently someone only had to pay $6 shipping for the bag plus earmuffs. Doesn't seem to make sense...

And yeah I know the box they ship it in is the same size as the bag. MidwayUSA isn't particularly good at compacting products down or using the right sized box even. They once shipped me two small Volquartsen 10/22 parts in a box the size of a standard shoebox, when a tiny envelope for $.50 would have sufficed.
So go to UPS.com and set your origin as midway usa, and check the destination difference between your location and others.

Yeah, it can be different. It's not USPS flat rate parcel service.

Either include it in a larger order to make up for the cost of shipping, or shop elsewhere. It's not like you're forced to overnight the thing by itself, or even buy it for that matter.

Last edited by Merc1138; 12-08-2011 at 5:38 PM..
Old 12-08-2011, 7:46 PM
Banned

Great bag, but it gets heavy pretty damn fast.
Old 12-09-2011, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I ordered the small range bag, and Midway sent a large one. I called, and they said "Our error. Keep it, no extra charge"!

I use it as my .22 bag, as it holds way more rimfire ammo than I can carry, spotting scope, tools, glasses, ear-pro, small carpet bit, lube, magazines, couple of rags, small bino's, and a couple water bottles......which is why I wanted the small bag, so I wouldn't haul around so much stuff
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 12-09-2011, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

I have this same bag. When I load up for a normal range trip, it's anywhere from 40-50 lbs in weight (when I threw it onto the scale). That's usually with 3-4 pistols, and lots of 9mm, .45 ACP, and .22LR boxes of ammo.

So far the straps seem to be holding up when I carry close to 50 lbs on my shoulder every few weeks, but we'll see how long that lasts for.
Old 12-09-2011, 8:31 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Kind of wondering that myself. I only paid a few bucks and you guys are paying way more for me. I'm in a "rural" area at that so you'd think it was more expensive to go here.
Old 12-09-2011, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Kind of wondering that myself. I only paid a few bucks and you guys are paying way more for me. I'm in a "rural" area at that so you'd think it was more expensive to go here.
Probably depends on how UPS distribution is setup, you might be in a rural area but they could have a sorting facility on the side of the urban area that's closer to you. Could also be that the pre-determined chain of stops through sorting facilities to get a package to you is somehow shorter. I don't know how they make the determination, but it does indeed vary.
Old 12-09-2011, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Probably depends on how UPS distribution is setup, you might be in a rural area but they could have a sorting facility on the side of the urban area that's closer to you. Could also be that the pre-determined chain of stops through sorting facilities to get a package to you is somehow shorter. I don't know how they make the determination, but it does indeed vary.
I get packages from other companies like Graf's and Brownells that also use UPS/Fed-Ex and I pay less for even larger items, so yeah I don't really know, lol. I just chalk it up to random quotes, and sometimes if I place an order large enough to justify the shipping charge I'll go through with it.
Old 12-09-2011, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I get packages from other companies like Graf's and Brownells that also use UPS/Fed-Ex and I pay less for even larger items, so yeah I don't really know, lol. I just chalk it up to random quotes, and sometimes if I place an order large enough to justify the shipping charge I'll go through with it.
It would also depend on what kind of rates(and handling charges the reseller tacks on) that they get from UPS. You walking into a UPS store to ship a box isn't quite the same as a company shipping products by the truckload with a contract(that may vary depending on what sort of deal they were able to get with UPS).
Old 12-09-2011, 1:53 PM

Good to hear, I've been wanting one for a while and finally ordered one yesterday for $39.99 along with a few other items. Shipping for the bag, McFadden clip loader, hks pistol loader and hiviz sights for my gp100 came out to $17. I just wish that I had seen it on sale for $29.99, all those things I ordered I've been wanting for a while and the bag for $29 would've sweetened the deal.
Old 12-09-2011, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticallyStressed View Post
My wife has the smaller Midway bag and on both of the bags the zipper pulls have come off on most of the compartments. Easy to fix by replacing them with paracord but a bit annoying when it happens to you at the range.
Ahh, yeah my zipper pull came off on one of the side pouches all of a sudden at the range. I was disappointed in that, It has two zippers on it luckily but the convenience of two is lost. I'll have to try to replace that somehow. I ordered this mag some months ago when it went on sale for a great price and I'm happy with it. Honestly, I was looking for a smaller bag haha I didn't pay attention to the dimensions so I was surprised at it's size. I always offer to carry handguns, targets, etc. when I go with someone to the range cause this bag can fit a good amount of stuff! I feel kind of silly brining the whole thing with me to the indoor range by myself, I'll usually just take the ammo bag thing that comes inside of the main bag.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 12-09-2011, 3:29 PM
Banned

nice. i went with the uncle mikes when it was on sale from LAPG, now i wish i had went with the midway, i couldnt make up my mind at the time.
Old 12-09-2011, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

looks like my 511 lrg range bag...but mine was 99.00...made very well I may add
Old 12-10-2011, 7:38 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_t0ny View Post
Good to hear, I've been wanting one for a while and finally ordered one yesterday for $39.99 along with a few other items. Shipping for the bag, McFadden clip loader, hks pistol loader and hiviz sights for my gp100 came out to $17. I just wish that I had seen it on sale for $29.99, all those things I ordered I've been wanting for a while and the bag for $29 would've sweetened the deal.
I think even at $40 you got a great deal on it. Black friday is always good @ midway so I check there first. They had an upper for $299 last year that was pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Ahh, yeah my zipper pull came off on one of the side pouches all of a sudden at the range. I was disappointed in that, It has two zippers on it luckily but the convenience of two is lost. I'll have to try to replace that somehow. I ordered this mag some months ago when it went on sale for a great price and I'm happy with it. Honestly, I was looking for a smaller bag haha I didn't pay attention to the dimensions so I was surprised at it's size. I always offer to carry handguns, targets, etc. when I go with someone to the range cause this bag can fit a good amount of stuff! I feel kind of silly brining the whole thing with me to the indoor range by myself, I'll usually just take the ammo bag thing that comes inside of the main bag.

I would call Midway because they back their products pretty well. Let them know what happened and they'll likely let you just swap for a new bag (With the new features at that)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I almost jumped on this but went with their smaller pistol bags. $7.99 Black Friday with a limit of (3) so I bought 3.

Midway shipping is a show stopper for me usualy as they are over price and gauging us for sure. Natchez is just as bad....

-178S
Old 12-10-2011, 5:30 PM
CGN Contributor

S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300
Old 12-10-2011, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would call Midway because they back their products pretty well. Let them know what happened and they'll likely let you just swap for a new bag (With the new features at that)
Hahah, ahh I couldn't swap it for a brand new one just because of the loop thing After watching that review vid ^ I'm kind of thinking of trading it or selling it for that smaller one, possibly. Again, really like the Midway bag but it's bigger than I really need.
R.I.P. Thomas C.