Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-09-2012, 1:10 PM

My trigger finger is fast...!
Old 02-19-2012, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber2Golf View Post
Saigas right out of the box will oftentimes not cycle "low brass" bird shot commonly found at Walmart (100 shells/~$20). They generally require some breaking in or some polishing in order to do it.

The reliability kit in question is from Carolina Shooters, and is meant to make the S12 reliable with these very affordable shells. It consists of a lighter front spring, a more efficient gas puck, and an extended gas adjustment knob with 5 settings.

I went with RyanInSD to shoot our Saigas twice, once at the local range and once outdoors. His functioned flawlessly the first day with the cheap stuff while mine suffered from the mag dropping out after each shot (an issue with my mags and the radlock that was solved after a slight modification). The second time out, both worked well. I didn't get the reliability kit for mine but did get the lighter spring, and found that - on setting 2 and feeding from a gen 2 Promag 10-rounder - was all I needed to run the low brass shells.

I'll do a full range report within the week and post it here.

thank you sir!
Old 02-20-2012, 7:07 AM

I purchased one of the group buy Saiga's and had my first chance to "Try"it this weekend .It was a TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT .
I "Tried" 25 rounds with three different loads in three different mags and Nothing would Cycle ! It DROPPED All of the Mag's except the factory 5rd Mag . Trying to get this Weapon to Fire was like watching a Bad Cartoon . Pull the trigger and watch the Mag fall off !!! It was a complete Failure .
Looks like I'll back track this thread to see how other people resolved this issue ? As of Now I would have More Confidence using it as a CLUB than a Weapon .
How can Atlantic sell these with any confidence ,or Morals ?
Old 02-20-2012, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsprops View Post
I purchased one of the group buy Saiga's and had my first chance to "Try"it this weekend .It was a TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT .
I "Tried" 25 rounds with three different loads in three different mags and Nothing would Cycle ! It DROPPED All of the Mag's except the factory 5rd Mag . Trying to get this Weapon to Fire was like watching a Bad Cartoon . Pull the trigger and watch the Mag fall off !!! It was a complete Failure .
Looks like I'll back track this thread to see how other people resolved this issue ? As of Now I would have More Confidence using it as a CLUB than a Weapon .
How is it their fault the gun doesn't work? It could be the other mags or mag lock.
Old 02-20-2012, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Before you start bashing Atlantic, it's a known fact that these guns have problems cycling certain ammo and certain loads. Could you tell us what brand ammo you were using? Did you have the gas knob on the correct setting for the type of ammo you were using? Also, check to make sure the gas ports are clean too. There might be some gunk stuck in there.

The mags seems to work with the factory 5rd mag but the aftermarket mags dropped. That would seem more of a mag prob not gun. My 10rd AGP mags wouldn't "seat" all the way in unless I slammed them in. Plus, I had to do a little bit of grinding to the mags. Also, don't load the mags to capacity until it runs a little more smooth. It worked for me and now everything works. These guns need to be broken in. Some work right off the bat and some take a few hundred rounds of slugs through them. Check out saiga-12's forum for more info.
Old 02-20-2012, 8:43 AM

Seriously Ewok ? If I went to a New Car dealership and bought a New Car I would expect it to run ? It's the same as if I bought a New Gun I would expect it to Shoot !
This isn't my first Gun . It's only the first Gun I bought that won't Shoot .
I guess I was expecting to much ? Atlantic should at least have a side note explaining that this firearm will Not take aftermarket Mag's and will Not fire Most common Ammo . I tried Remmington,Winchester and Federal Loads with No success .
I didn't know these guns where so sensitive . I have a AK47 that would fire a twig if you loaded it into a mag . I guess I was thinking this would be a similar experience ?
Like I said in my first Post"Looks like I'll back track this thread to see how other people resolved this issue ?
I'll check out the Saiga-12 forum too
Old 02-20-2012, 9:28 AM

Do an internet search for "Vodka Special" and you'll see why Saiga 12s are really finicky.
Old 02-20-2012, 9:51 AM

Tom since you seem to be unhappy with your shotgun, I'll take it. Of course since your shotgun doesn't work, I'll happily take it for $100 less than you paid for it

In all seriousness though, file the front corner of the mag catch. 30-40 passes will do it. It will solve the mag issue perfectly. Others here have done the same, and it fixed their problem as well.

As for the not cycling ammo, it probably needs a break in period. My shotgun wouldn't cycle too well, even on #2 but towards the end of the day it was cycling everything just fine (on #2). I'll bet on my next range trip, it will run most everything on #1.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Seriously Ewok ? If I went to a New Car dealership and bought a New Car I would expect it to run ? It's the same as if I bought a New Gun I would expect it to Shoot !
This isn't my first Gun . It's only the first Gun I bought that won't Shoot .
I guess I was expecting to much ? Atlantic should at least have a side note explaining that this firearm will Not take aftermarket Mag's and will Not fire Most common Ammo . I tried Remmington,Winchester and Federal Loads with No success .
I didn't know these guns where so sensitive . I have a AK47 that would fire a twig if you loaded it into a mag . I guess I was thinking this would be a similar experience ?
Like I said in my first Post"Looks like I'll back track this thread to see how other people resolved this issue ?
I'll check out the Saiga-12 forum too
No, it would be akin to buying a car, changing the engine yourself and blaming the dealership that the car doesn't start. It worked before you applied the mods.
Old 02-20-2012, 1:10 PM

Default saiga 12

I want one. let me know when they get em in and what I have to do to get one, and make it CA compliant... I cant wait!
Old 02-20-2012, 1:13 PM

I'm not sure what Mod's you imagining ? This is bone Stock out of the Box as shipped. Still won't cycle even with the factory mag .
I'll search "Vodka Special" now . Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 1:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
The gun is quite great really, its the mag lock that it came with that is the problem. Also, how was atlantic suppose to know about the issues of a brand new maglock that a reputable company sold to them???

My questions to you is, what kind of ammo were you trying to shoot out of a brand new saiga 12? What kind of mods if any have you done to the gun, what gas setting were you on, and what is your firearms experience?

I really gotta get some videos uploaded, these blasters are serious fun. Nothing legal compares I imagine.
Old 02-20-2012, 2:38 PM

I tried Winchester ,Remington and Federal loads. Gas setting is at the #2 setting . No Mods what so ever .
Over 39 years of handling firearms . I Passed my first hunters Safety coarse at the age of 10.
I presently own and shoot regularly at my own Range on my ranch ;
LMT CQB16
AK47 Hungarian AMD-65
Desert Eagle
Magnumlite mlr1722
Ruger10/22 Valqt.mods
Glocks 9mm .40
870 Remingtons
and about a dozen or more assorted firearms collected over the years .
I can't consider myself a expert or a gunsmith . but I do consider myself a avid gun user and enthusiast .
What ammo would you suggest using to "Break in" this saiga ?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Slugs and 00 buckshot are best to break it in. Also polishing all areas that contact the bolt during cycling will help it out. Also do the fix the radd posted 1 page back and that will solve your mag dropping issue. These shotguns need to be broken in. There are tons of threads documenting cycling issues just keep shooting and polish the contact areas and it will be fine.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Also you are not telling us what "kind" of ammo your using. You're telling us brands of ammo. Break in period needs slugs or 00buck. Or find someone locally that can press off the gas block and open up the gas ports if you don't want to shoot all the buck and slugs. Ppl say it takes 50-100a rounds to break her in, then she will eat anything you feed her.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I tried Winchester ,Remington and Federal loads. Gas setting is at the #2 setting . No Mods what so ever .
Over 39 years of handling firearms . I Passed my first hunters Safety coarse at the age of 10.
I presently own and shoot regularly at my own Range on my ranch ;
LMT CQB16
AK47 Hungarian AMD-65
Desert Eagle
Magnumlite mlr1722
Ruger10/22 Valqt.mods
Glocks 9mm .40
870 Remingtons
and about a dozen or more assorted firearms collected over the years .
I can't consider myself a expert or a gunsmith . but I do consider myself a avid gun user and enthusiast .
What ammo would you suggest using to "Break in" this saiga ?
Hehehe, 39 years of shooting guns and when someone asks you what kind of 12ga ammo you're using you list brand names?

Sounds like you need to put more time breaking it in, polishing, or going with the reliability kit. Or for cheap you can start off with just a lighter recoil spring. My friend was able to shoot birdshot on setting 2 with just a lighter spring.

Out of the box, I recommend shooting 20-30 shells of high brass, ie slugs or 00 buck or something along those lines like jay stated.
Old 02-21-2012, 3:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

TOMPROPS , If you had a issue why not contact our office First ??? Why gripe on the itnernet ? Just contact our office so we can help in resolving the issue !! We sell over 100 Saiga 12 a month and do not normally have any issues. We will be glad to offer you a full refund and pay your return shipping on the excellent deal we origianlly offered.
Old 02-21-2012, 8:20 AM

I was shooting Game Loads of either #6 or #8 shot in all 3 of these brands . I will try 00 and Slugs tomorrow .
Atlantic , I didn't contact you directly because this gun was sold to Protoolsnerd originally . I meet him the day it was released from it's 10 day stint in Gun Jail . Then it went directly back into holding . I'm pretty sure you would of told me any claim would have to be with the original owner ?
Thanks to All of the members who gave me CONSTRUCTIVE Advice . To all of you other Internet Cowboy's have fun playing with your Laptop's ! I'm going Shooting !
Old 02-21-2012, 4:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Tomsprops , if you have a issue you are still welcome to contact us , You post were less than nice about our firm. You question our Morals and that is out of line we are a very honest firm & have worked hard in the past to take care of customers with issues.
Old 02-21-2012, 6:10 PM

the issue with atlantic is similar to buying a russian car at an importer dealership then finding out that the car acts weird on california gas. not the dealership's fault per se but a manufacturer with loose standards.

i bought a legion (importer) saiga 12 from a local dealer (overpaid, but this was at the height of the price war) and put the factory mag in...no problems!

i bought a 10 round pro-mag (yeah, i read all kinds of crap after i bought it about their quality) and the mag didn't even lock when inserted. i had to file off a small protrusion (part of the aesthetic design) of plastic on each side of the top of the mag so that it would slide all the way in and lock.

i got lucky after reading about similar issues but could have just returned the mag and got a refund (but it was an easy enough fix and the mags were designed that way - some people need to file...some don't...it was better to err on that side of the design to have it slightly too big than too small since it's harder to add material)

i also got lucky to get a unit with the proper number of gas ports (i'm assuming since it cycled properly with cheapo walmart federal loads after i adjusted the gas plug to the 2 setting)
Old 02-26-2012, 7:14 AM

Quote:
I was shooting Game Loads of either #6 or #8 shot in all 3 of these brands . I will try 00 and Slugs tomorrow .
Atlantic , I didn't contact you directly because this gun was sold to Protoolsnerd originally . I meet him the day it was released from it's 10 day stint in Gun Jail . Then it went directly back into holding . I'm pretty sure you would of told me any claim would have to be with the original owner ?
Thanks to All of the members who gave me CONSTRUCTIVE Advice . To all of you other Internet Cowboy's have fun playing with your Laptop's ! I'm going Shooting !
Shooting you mean, clay and paper?,
this is Saiga 12 ,I can't take the grin of my face for 3 days my kids are making fun of me

well, back to my Laptop

Last edited by atakacorp; 02-26-2012 at 7:17 AM..
Old 02-26-2012, 7:20 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^^ nice! Congrats

When will the bacon slabs be ready

Absolute power corrupts absolutely! Leadership is not about power... We have very few leaders in this country and virtually none in this state... but plenty of corruption in both.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't underestimate the stupidity of the American public.
Old 02-27-2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
TOMPROPS , If you had a issue why not contact our office First ??? Why gripe on the itnernet ? Just contact our office so we can help in resolving the issue !! We sell over 100 Saiga 12 a month and do not normally have any issues. We will be glad to offer you a full refund and pay your return shipping on the excellent deal we origianlly offered.
That's awesome customer service. I've got a few friends interested after seeing mine, I'll send em your way if they decide to pull the trigger.

Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
That's awesome customer service. I've got a few friends interested after seeing mine, I'll send em your way if they decide to move forward.

I love my Saiga - takes a bit of work to get the vodka engineering out, but when you do, it's a wonderful stick.

Jason
Old 03-25-2012, 6:28 PM

Is it too late to get in on this? Thanks guys, Brian
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahookups View Post
Ditto
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahookups View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iano1 View Post
Ditto
Too late, but might be able to do your own
Old 03-26-2012, 6:47 AM

Thanks for the response though...Time to start digging
Old 05-21-2012, 4:27 PM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 3:12 PM

Default Does Atlantic still sell Cal legal Saigas?

Newb question but can I go through Atlantic to buy a Cal legal Saiga?
Old 06-03-2012, 8:41 AM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Drilling out the gas ports it a very eash thing to do and will consume about 45 minutes of your time. After they are drilled out you can run whatever you want, but don't forget to set the plug to the lower setting if you run heavy loads.

Its worth the hassle to own a Saiga 12 and have it work perfectly.

There is video on it on youtube and also on calguns too. Fidn the thread yourself however!!
Old 06-25-2012, 3:52 PM

Default put me down for one

put me down for one .
Old 06-25-2012, 4:22 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ you're about 5 months late bud.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely! Leadership is not about power... We have very few leaders in this country and virtually none in this state... but plenty of corruption in both.
Old 06-30-2012, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamn View Post
Newb question but can I go through Atlantic to buy a Cal legal Saiga?
Yes, the price was 624 delivered + 45 for california button, Haven't picked mine up yet. Atlantic was very easy to deal with and they stay on top of shipping info.
Old 08-14-2012, 9:15 PM

I am interested and just waiting the final total $$$ vs buying one local thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 1:54 PM

I WANT in on the next group buy! Atlantic has been stand up with all my purchases!
Old 11-29-2012, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

someone start up another GB
Old 11-30-2012, 7:26 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
someone start up another GB
I nominate you.

Old 11-30-2012, 7:29 AM

Vepr12 gb!
Old 12-20-2012, 8:27 PM

I'm interested, ready to purchase.