Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SOFLAM in BF3, what good is it?

Okay, I set it up, move back to a spot NOT standing and out of sight (learned that pretty damn quick), and start spotting. How does laser designation work? I have only seen a tank attacked like once or twice. Am I doing something wrong? Does it have be attacked by a squad mate or just anyone on the team? I tried the googles but came up empty.

I have also tried setting it up and then going about my business and that seems to work okay but not sure if I am using it wrong.

And these things draw A TON of fire. So keep that in mind.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

yeah they draw a lot of fire, its a giant red beam on a tripod.

if you have the guided shell for the tank, and someone soflams a helo - you can lock it with your guided tank shells. which is pretty sweet.

if you soflam a target, everyone else can lock that target quicker and they dont need line of sight.

if you drop it and forget it, it will target random stuff when it can.

the benefit it provides is team-wide, not just squad-wide.

the best combination is 3 people in a tank with the extra seat, guided shells on the driver, and a buddy soflaming. you can lock stuff pretty quick and shooting down air assets with a tank is just all kinds of satisfying.

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
yeah they draw a lot of fire, its a giant red beam on a tripod.

if you have the guided shell for the tank, and someone soflams a helo - you can lock it with your guided tank shells. which is pretty sweet.

if you soflam a target, everyone else can lock that target quicker and they dont need line of sight.

if you drop it and forget it, it will target random stuff when it can.

the benefit it provides is team-wide, not just squad-wide.

the best combination is 3 people in a tank with the extra seat, guided shells on the driver, and a buddy soflaming. you can lock stuff pretty quick and shooting down air assets with a tank is just all kinds of satisfying.
x2 but nobody uses it enough. I get plenty of assists with my recon UAV but the Soflam is so much more useful when there's people on your team that know how to utilize it.

Also, i believe the Javelin will lock onto air targets if lit up with the Soflam.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
Also, i believe the Javelin will lock onto air targets if lit up with the Soflam.
correct

i only play bf3 with friends. if no one is on when i get home i just do something else lol.

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
I did go back and find that bit about the javelin. And I had kinda figured that helos and planes would have the capability but the tank shell thing is news to me! Guess I have been playing with people who don't have those items or don't use them.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM

SOFLAM takes a dedicated team to see results. We had to pile 3 dudes into the Russian growler and set up on a remote hill but we got it working. Two engineers and a recon dude.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM

None, I had the Soflam and a buddy I play with has the Javelin. You really need two Javelin, 1 Support and 1 Recon to make it work all round. They are kind screwed on PC because they don't hit 100% of the time. We were able to take a out a plane with one though. That was exciting but took forever.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
short bus driver

Aircraft can also launch missles to hit targets locked on by a SOFLAM.

SOFLAM = need a dedicated team for it to be of use.

Sometimes I use it to lock onto aircraft, just so they prematurely launch use their flares.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-29-2011, 1:00 PM

I like to find it and put C4 by it.............
Old 11-29-2011, 8:11 PM

I have the javelin but tend to just stick with the RPG/SMAW because almost no one uses the SOFLAM. Did knock out a Viper with an RPG last week.
Old 11-30-2011, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

there are a few maps were the jav is nice, but it takes to long to lock and in the closer quarters maps you want to just pop out and quickly shoot - which you cant do with the jav

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The OP caught me on last night and we had a go at the Soflam combo and it worked good on the one match that it actually put us on the same team. An ideal squad would be assault/eng/recon. With 3 enemy tanks you run out of rockets too fast. Lock-ons are nice and quick.

The match before i had been using recon and a tank with guided missles. I set the Soflam up on a hill on Firestorm and targeted tanks as they were leaving the enemy base and just lighting them up from a distance with my guided missles. Worked VERY well.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Almost never useful for its intended purpose. MAV is significantly more useful than the SOFLAM. It seems that whenever you have a javelin and need a SOFLAM, no recon has one, and whenever you have a SOFLAM out and you're marking targets, there isn't anyone on your team with javelins to cooperate. Not to mention it doesn't even work 90% of the time. Supposedly you get top attacks with the SOFLAM + javelin combo and you can one hit tanks - but this doesn't actually work..
Old 12-01-2011, 6:18 AM
short bus driver

Laser designator works best with teamwork.

Laser designator on tank + tank driver with guided shells = shoots down low flying helicopters and jets.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-01-2011, 6:32 AM

I've tried the SOFLAM a couple times when playing with friends on xbox.

I've taken out a few planes, but generally it seems to be useless. I don't know if it's bugged or what, but a lot of times it won't let me remotely lock on with the Javelin or the guided missiles with the jets.

The other night my friend used the soflam on the mobile troop spawn on the canals map, I had to visually lock on to it but then it would go up into the air and hit it from the top (as opposed to the side without the soflam).
The only thing is that, even when the vehicle was moving very slowly in the water, my javelin would not hit it and I wouldn't even get a damage indicator.

The same thing happened in the same map without the soflam. I had a perfectly clear shot down the street at the back of the vehicle and manually locked onto it myself. I watched as it flew straight towards the troop carrier and then hit the ground right behind it, not even damaging it a little.

I can hit thing pretty far away with the RPG, so I usually just stick with that. It's also just as powerful as the Javelin from the side and about twice as much from the rear, so the javelin really doesn't have that much of an advantage if it won't lock on properly anyway.
Old 12-01-2011, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Why can't the Javelin be used on buildings?
Old 12-02-2011, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Why can't the Javelin be used on buildings?
Won't fire without a locked target.
Old 12-02-2011, 7:52 PM

I wish they would add something where maybe if you locked on for twice as long it would hit the vehicle from the top anyway. It's hard enough to lock on once and hold it, so I don't think it would be too much.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Won't fire without a locked target.
This I know. What I don't understand is why you can't lock on to whatever you want.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpsdNoMore View Post
I wish they would add something where maybe if you locked on for twice as long it would hit the vehicle from the top anyway. It's hard enough to lock on once and hold it, so I don't think it would be too much.
I saw an interesting video on Youtube where a dude was demonstrating that if you point your launcher towards the sky just as it locks on, it will go straight up and come down on your target within a certain range. I do this all the time now and it works great.
Old 12-03-2011, 1:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This I know. What I don't understand is why you can't lock on to whatever you want.
Game isn't as sophisticated as they would like you to think.
Old 12-03-2011, 1:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I saw an interesting video on Youtube where a dude was demonstrating that if you point your launcher towards the sky just as it locks on, it will go straight up and come down on your target within a certain range. I do this all the time now and it works great.
but does it do the same damage as a true top down attack or just makes it so it doesn't hit obstacles in the way?
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want no matter the topic at hand!
Old 12-03-2011, 1:39 AM

the SOFLAM is a pile. MAV is 1000x more useful
Old 12-03-2011, 1:52 AM
Calguns Addict

they need to extend the range it can lock onto targets, or at least limit the bright red glare that the targets see to the same range that it can lock onto them.

cause having that red beam visible from beyond the range of effectiveness makes it more useless since they now know where you are and that you are using a soflam and then the potential of javelin attacks so they avoid that area or they start to do some long range shooting at it. the laser designator on the attack chopper or tank is more useful since on the chopper it auto locks anything in range and no red beam, same with the tank laser, the only warning the enemy gets is the usual lock on warning, but they don't know where it is coming from.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want no matter the topic at hand!
Old 12-03-2011, 6:38 AM

Quote:
It's not necessarily related to the game, but I want to back you up on this: IRL, the Command Launch Unit for the Javelin will lock onto a window of a building. Really, anything with an IR signature that stands out sufficiently from the background is g2g.

And in relation to the game, considering the Jav is a higher tier unlock, it really should be more effective than an RPG-7 IMO. Long lock and reload times plus the 3-shot limit is balancing it enough without all the other issues.
Old 12-03-2011, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber2Golf View Post
It's not necessarily related to the game, but I want to back you up on this: IRL, the Command Launch Unit for the Javelin will lock onto a window of a building. Really, anything with an IR signature that stands out sufficiently from the background is g2g.

And in relation to the game, considering the Jav is a higher tier unlock, it really should be more effective than an RPG-7 IMO. Long lock and reload times plus the 3-shot limit is balancing it enough without all the other issues.
That's why it's pretty much useless in the game. Why bother with locking on to vehicles when you can just fire and forget instantly around a corner with an RPG?
Old 12-03-2011, 9:49 AM

SOFLAM/ Stingers and Javelin are useless unless you have team mates...I shot 12 stingers at the same A 10 last night (as he was dog fighting) and it didnt register a hit.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
but does it do the same damage as a true top down attack or just makes it so it doesn't hit obstacles in the way?
According to the guy who made this video it does.

I've actually had some pretty good success with it since I started using this technique.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
That's why it's pretty much useless in the game. Why bother with locking on to vehicles when you can just fire and forget instantly around a corner with an RPG?
Because in most cases with the Javelin, you're working from a pretty good distance against moving targets. It's a much better weapon than an RPG in those instances being that it's a true fire and forget weapon.
Heck, you don't even have to fire it to make effective use of it. Just lock on and watch as the tank that is camping next to your M-com evactuates.