Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-27-2011, 9:07 AM

Default DPMS Panther Oracle

I'm in the market for an Oracle and wanted to ask a few simple questions about it, so I'll get right to the point.

1. The Oracle is sold with a "light" barrel. Does this mean the barrel is thin and less reliable/durable than a standard AR-15 barrel?

2. Is the Oracle compatable with all of the AR-15 parts? Meaning if I buy a new barrel from somewhere else, will it work in the Oracle?

I guess that's all I can think of for the time being.

Edit: Sorry, it's just a DPMS Oracle. DPMS apparently started selling a different version for California specifically that carries a different name and has the Cal-friendly features.

Last edited by bigsol81; 11-27-2011 at 1:25 PM..
Old 11-27-2011, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

1. No
2. Yes

ETA: Although DPMS is at about the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by tomd1584; 11-27-2011 at 9:11 AM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM

You also can't own a DPMS Panther in Kalifornia as they are banned by name.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Why do you want a dpms?Many others close in that price range.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don29palms View Post
You also can't own a DPMS Panther in Kalifornia as they are banned by name.
Strange, there's a gun shop in my area that claims to sell them with a factory installed bullet button. Does DPMS sell Oracles that don't contain the "panther" name exclusively for California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510GUY View Post
Why do you want a dpms?Many others close in that price range.
Can you recommend something else that's better and of similar cost? I'm getting the Oracle for $745. Yes, I know that's expensive. I could drive down to Riflegear.com's store, but it would cost me about $80 in gas. Also, having it shipped to where I live would still cost me an extra $100 since that's what the FFL dealers in the area charge for a transfer.

Buying it at Riflegear.com's store: Base Price ($619) + Tax ($54.16) + Gas ($80) + DROS Fee ($25) = $778.16

Having it shipped here from RG.Com: Base Price ($619) + Tax ($54.16) + FFL Transfer Fee ($100) = $773.16

Buying it at my local shop: Base Price ($745) + Tax ($65.19) + DROS fee ($25) = $835.19

The advantage to the latter, while being about $60 more expensive than the cheapest option, is also that I won't be putting 400 miles (two round trips) of wear and tear on my vehicle and spending 4-6 hours on the road. That's worth $60 to me, honestly.

ETA: Here's the link to the rifle in question, referred to on Riflegear's website as the "Oracle California" due to the bullet button.

Last edited by bigsol81; 11-27-2011 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Added link for Oracle
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Unless you are want matching lower/upper with same manufacturer, you can buy an oracle upper and any oll lower. Midwayusa has good prices on dpms upper. Picked up a dpms sport tactical upper with a coupon for 379 shipped. You can ppt or buy a complete lower for around 250 like spikes tactical, stag arms, etc.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsol81 View Post
Strange, there's a gun shop in my area that claims to sell them with a factory installed bullet button. Does DPMS sell Oracles that don't contain the "panther" name exclusively for California?
I do believe that DPMS is now selling legal rifles in the USSK but the title says DPMS Panther Oracle which is not legal in the USSK. All DPMS Panthers are banned by name.
Old 11-27-2011, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don29palms View Post
I do believe that DPMS is now selling legal rifles in the USSK but the title says DPMS Panther Oracle which is not legal in the USSK. All DPMS Panthers are banned by name.
My mistake. I'll correct that in the original post.