Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-29-2015, 8:35 PM

Default Opinions on a 92FS for first time buyer & home defense.

Hey guys,

I was at the range last night to finally take my FSC test. I am still researching my first handgun purchase. I have always been a fan of the 92FS since my first experience with it about 10 years ago. I like how it looks and how it feels and its pretty well known to be reliable and low maintenance.

Unfortunately last night the ranges 2 92's where out for servicing as they failed but I was told after years and thousands of rounds.

My 2 final choices for my fist purchase where the 92FS and the 1911 (Colt or spring I am still undecided which way id go, budget $1000)

But the reality is as somebody who doesn't shoot to often and with a small wife who also shot the 1911 last night its just got a little too much kick to it especially for her. I noticed my groups get tighter the more I shot it. But I wouldn't have the time to put into it right now whereas the 92 would be less recoil and easier for the wife to handle also in an emergency situation. The 92 also wins the magazine capacity and the maintenance department also.

Anyway I really just want to hear some opinions and maybe some options to consider looking at before diving in.. And does anyone know if there is a 92 available in stainless steel that has an attachment rail?

I appreciate any input, thanks!

PS - Can you guys recommend some good outdoor ranges near Los Angeles or outdoor areas that its legal to shoot (What determines this?)

And is there such thing as a range with moving targets and popup targets like you see police and military train with ?

Cheers!
Old 10-29-2015, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No BLM ranges near Los Angeles, you have to drive out by Barstow.
Angeles range is nice, burro canyon is not bad.
try to go to either of them midweek rather than weekend.

I am going to take some grief for this but you should also have your wife try a Glock 17 or 19.
Also a CZ in 9mm.

Rent a few other nines just so you can say you've tried them.

Last edited by Garv; 10-29-2015 at 8:44 PM..
Old 10-29-2015, 8:42 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

92F is a better choice for a first handgun. Much simpler to maintain and they are never picky about ammo. I love my 1911's but the 92F gets the nod in this scenario.
Old 10-29-2015, 8:48 PM

92FS is a great gun for a new shooter. It's also just a great gun, imho, although many will disagree.

It is, however, a big gun and the grips might just be too big for some people. Definitely shoot it first.
Old 10-29-2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
No BLM ranges near Los Angeles, you have to drive out by Barstow.
I am going to take some grief for this but you should also have your wife try a Glock 17 or 19.
Yea, if you're not going to shoot a lot then the less manipulation the better.

A striker fired semi auto without a manual safety would be the best route.

I don't like to be one to discourage one against something they have their heart set on. Any firearm with sufficient practice can be used as just as well as any other. But if you're not going to practice then something you don't have to remember to actuate the safety might be better.

That said, any Springfield XD would be on par with a Glock as well.
Old 10-29-2015, 8:53 PM

Another option if you like the Beretta is their PX4 Storm. Pretty much the same controls but a slightly slimmer grip.
Old 10-29-2015, 8:57 PM

For home defense I would go with the Beretta over the 1911. Reliability is imperative.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
92FS is a great gun for a new shooter. It's also just a great gun, imho, although many will disagree.

It is, however, a big gun and the grips might just be too big for some people. Definitely shoot it first.
Ditto to all of the above.
A woman with small hands may have an issue with it.

But... on the flip side, it's a solid beast of a gun, so recoil is light, and being a 5" barrel, the slide is VERY easy to operate.

My wife can't rack my XD or Shield. She can BARELY rack the G26.
She can handle the 1911 but doesn't like the recoil.
She drives a 92FS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:01 PM

CZ 75b
Old 10-29-2015, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Any modern gun will work.

If you have a budget of $1,000-$1,300

I would consider a used Glock Leo trade in or 92 trade in...

Put the balance of the Ammo into classes to learn how to shoot for home defense correctly.

The drawback to the 92 is that the de-cocker stays down. So you can point at a bad guy and not have a functional firearm.

Just as 1911 shooters can forget the grip safety.

The striker fired platform and the sig eliminate this issue.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:10 PM

if your choices are 1911 or 92fs, I would go with the Beretta 92.
The Beretta is very reliable, accurate and the ammo is cheaper

If recoil is the only thing holding you back from buying the 1911, try shooting a 9mm 1911 like a Spring Field or Kimber. Both of those are in the $1000 price range. But I would still say the 92fs is still more reliable

If you decide to go with the Beretta 92fs, you might also consider the Beretta m9a1. It might cost a bit more but it has a rail for mounting a light if desired. And possibly changing the grips to make it a bit thinner if your wife has small hands.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:17 PM

If it's between the 92FS and the 1911, then for sure the 92. If you're open to other options, I'd highly recommend you try out an XD9. Great CS, comes with 4 mags with their promo, has a really beefy slide with plenty of grip area for woman who have a hard time racking. My fiancé really likes the XD and is the only gun she shoots well. The XD is also extremely reliable and easy to maintain.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:17 PM

The Beretta 92FS is a good all around gun. For the casual shooter, I'd recommend it over the 1911. Though the PX4 is cheaper (put the savings into training ammo) and has replaceable back straps so you and the wife can both have the best grip possible.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:18 PM

I've had the Glock 17 before and 2 Beretta's (92FS and an M9). In my opinion, while the Glock is a simpler and lighter platform, the Beretta's are the more satisfying to own and shoot. Why? they are more refined, and being heavier, absorbs the recoil more.

That said, the Beretta's are big guns. Individuals with small hands, may find them a handful. But there is a solution to that.... just cock the hammer for the first shot, and the trigger goes back far enough to be an easy reach for most.

And, subjectively speaking, I find the Beretta's sexier to look at, the Glocks not so much...... this is a big issue for ME, not so for some.

That's my feedback.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:21 PM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Both are fantastic guns and I own both. I think your experience told you exactly what you need to know though and that the 92fs is going to be your choice.

My first hand gun was a 1911. I bought it before I was married. It worked for me since I went to the range regularly and became quite proficient with it. Once I got married and started taking my wife with me, I quickly realized that the .45 had way too much oomph for her and she anticipated the shot into the ground 5 feet from us (in the desert thankfully). 9mm was definitely the answer for her, at least for now.

In the 9mm category, have you looked at other guns? I don't want to complicate your choice but there are many other good ones to pick from. The Sig P226 is my personal favorite. Go to a range that had rentals and try several SA/DA handguns out and see what fits best for you.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

Sig P226 Tacops and P227 Tacops for sale

Last edited by pterrell; 10-29-2015 at 9:23 PM..
Old 10-29-2015, 9:21 PM

get what makes you happiest homie
Old 10-29-2015, 9:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleferd View Post
get what makes you happiest homie
Better yet, get what makes your wife happiest!

Calguns answer is to get one for each of you if you can't agree.
Old 10-29-2015, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Dannyboy View Post
Anyway I really just want to hear some opinions and maybe some options to consider looking at before diving in.. And does anyone know if there is a 92 available in stainless steel that has an attachment rail?
92FS Vertec Inox / Stainless Steel, Alloy Pistol 4.7" 9mm 1/1/2017

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-vertec-inox/

-- Michael
Old 10-29-2015, 9:36 PM

Default Opinions on a 92FS for first time buyer & home defense.

Look for Beretta Vertec INOS. 1911 style grip. Stainless steel with rail.

That's all is asking for based on your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Beretta is so 10 years ago. A big pistol. Get a good 1911.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 10-29-2015, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

The Beretta 92 (and variants) is a great gun and a fine choice. My personal preference, however, would be for a 92G-SD. The "G" configuration is decocker only, no safety. One less thing to worry about. SA/DA guns are just like revolvers and they don't have safeties.

The other gun in this category (SA/DA) that you might want to take a look at for comparison sake is the Sig P226, which is also a very fine choice. It's also a bit smaller which might be a factor if you're ever thinking of CCW'ing this gun.

Beyond that, any of the big 3 polymer guns (Glock, Springfield XD, M&P) are great choices for a first pistol. They're affordable, they have the same trigger pull from first shot to second shot (SA/DA guns can be a bit of a challenge for new shooters), and they're simple to operate as they don't have safeties like the 1911 and 92FS (so it's one less thing for new shooters to worry about).

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 PM

I like beretta 92 but I have average hands and it is right on the edge of what is comfortable for me. My wife has smaller hands. I made the mistake so often mentioned here of buying a gun for my wife (glock 19) without letting her try it first. She is ok with it but likes other smaller gripped guns better.

Not sure where you are but oak tree has a nice range with a lot of metal targets that are fun to shoot at and they have a decent selection of rentals for her to try.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

My 92fs... first off about every hundred rounds it'd start malfunctioning.
Also safety/decocker fell off.
It was my first real handgun and to this day I still hate that darn gun.
My opinion would be a glock, MP, or XD and buy alot of ammo n shoot
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

For a first gun I'd recommend a Glock and not a Beretta 92 or 1911.

The vast majority of people shoot a striker fired gun better than a double action, single action gun like the 92.

Second, the Beretta has goofy decock/safety controls located on the slide; which is what we grasp to clear malfunctions or charge the weapon. People inadvertently kick the safety on accident.

Third, the Glock is easy to work on yourself. If there is an aftermarket part/accessory made, it's made for a Glock. It's stupid easy to replace a trigger return spring or install your favorite set of cool sights on a Glock.

Fourth, Glocks are cheaper.

A lot of guys will say "but I shoot double action guns as well as Glocks". Most of those guys shoot slow fire groups. Given enough time, anything can be done.

With regards to a 1911, unless it's a 9mm, 45 auto just costs more and the target doesn't care how big a bullet it is. 1911s are more maintenance heavy, and the thumb safety trips up a lot of new shooters.

Get a Glock 17 or 19.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 PM

The Beretta 92FS was my first handgun and I still have it today. It served me well as my go to gun I mostly use it at the range now and to have in the collection.

I also bought my Mom one and up until a year ago it was her bedside gun.

A 1911 is not a good choice for a first time buyer unless you have some trigger time behind one and no how clean and maintain one. I've been around them all my life and will get one someday.

If you have to have a rail get the Veretec or if you like the 92FS get the M9A1 same gun but with a rail.

So if you go the Beretta route make sure the first thing you do is order the Factory D-Main Spring and install it as soon as you take it home. It's easy watch a youtube video it takes no more than 5 minutes or so. For years I didn't realize what I was missing. The DA pull drops by about 4 pounds and smooths it out without any functionality problems.

One thing to consider is the safety. My mother isn't a gun person so decocker this or safety that would always confuse her. When she racks the slide sometimes the safety would engage and it took her awhile to learn the little red dot means it will fire. I was always worried one day she would hit the safety and not be aware if she needed it the most.

You can get a Wilson Combat Single sided slim safety to fix the issue. Also recommend ditching the plastic guide rod never had problems with them but they felt so flimsy I put in the Wilson Combat metal version and it looks and feels so much better. It even holds oil in place better like it claims.
Old 10-30-2015, 2:06 AM

Lots of great info and good feedback on the 92. Thanks guys much appreciated!

And thanks for the range suggestions also!
Old 10-30-2015, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
92FS Vertec Inox / Stainless Steel, Alloy Pistol 4.7" 9mm 1/1/2017

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-vertec-inox/

-- Michael
I really like how this looks and with the thin grips etc. The only thing I dont like is the plastic guide rod and the plastic safety. Which im sure both can be easily upgraded.

The other thing I wish this gun had was the extended barrell as u can see its flush where the 92 usually sticks out from the frame just a little.. I like how that looks.. Pity the regular stainless model doesn't come with a railed version.

Im not particularity partial to the rail but I feel like if i ever want future upgrades accessories.
Old 10-30-2015, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Dannyboy View Post
I really like how this looks and with the thin grips etc. The only thing I dont like is the plastic guide rod and the plastic safety. Which im sure both can be easily upgraded.

The other thing I wish this gun had was the extended barrell as u can see its flush where the 92 usually sticks out from the frame just a little.. I like how that looks.. Pity the regular stainless model doesn't come with a railed version.

Im not particularity partial to the rail but I feel like if i ever want future upgrades accessories.
You're already having (wanting/needing) to upgrade this?

I have a 92FS and a couple of 1911s. All are fun to shoot. For HD I choose neither; too many things to think about. I have my XD for HD. It's simple, intuitive and reliable.
Old 10-30-2015, 4:36 AM

The 92f is a very good choice for a first 9mm handgun.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 10-30-2015, 5:00 AM

The 92fs absorbs the already low recoil of the 9mm very nicely. 1911 might be good for you because you already see that you could eventually shoot it very accurately if you put the time and effort into it (which it sounds like you can't). To make things worse, it would be twice as bad for your wife with the additional recoil and lack of practice.

If you have a chance, check out a CZ 75. Like the Beretta, it is a metal frame gun which will absorb the recoil. It has a slightly smaller grip which will be good for both you and your wife and it is a proven design right in the same ballpark price (usually $50 or so less than the 92 for a base model). Make sure both you and your wife try out the reach on the triggers in double action mode with both guns. Check out a store that has both and test them out side by side.
Old 10-30-2015, 5:35 AM

Under your scenario get the beretta. However, what I tell everyone whose ever asked me what to get for a first pistol, G19 or 23 with a 9mm barrel. It fits the bill and everyone should have one, even if it's just buried in the yard.
Old 10-30-2015, 6:11 AM

Between the two, I'd say get the 92fs. The safety should be a non issue after a while. The weight and size of the gun should tame most of the recoil. The grip, however, is pretty massive for someone with small hands like your wife or mine.
Old 10-30-2015, 6:15 AM

I'd consider a .357 revolver. Your wife could shoot .38 Special out of it. If you want a rail, take a look at the S&W R8 or TRR8. Both hold 8 rounds. Both have two rails, one under the barrel for a light, one on top of the frame for an optic. Great triggers, easy to operate, and reliable.
Old 10-30-2015, 6:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Good firearm.... solid choice..

Probably 2 reason why some people are not huge fan of 92fs due to big bulky grip and decocker/safety location.
Old 10-30-2015, 6:41 AM

FWIW...I own a 92FS and while it would do fine for home defense, it has a lot of bite for a 4.9" barrel.

Put yourself (as average Joe Citizen) in the scenario of having to use the pistol in a home/self defense situation. You're nervous/frightened, worried about your family, heart beating out of your chest, etc. The 92FS will work but its recoil bites quite a bit.

I think you're better off with a pistol like a CZ 75 (as mentioned previously). Its barrel is 1 inch smaller yet recoil is much more manageable then the 92FS (plus its grips are outstanding/frame is smaller).

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 10-30-2015, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

As much as i love cz, the low profile of the slide can be an issue especially if you have problems racking.

Go with a Glock 19 over the 92 or 1911.
Old 10-30-2015, 6:50 AM

Would suggest to at least handle a CZ 75b

If you like the 1911 platform, check one out chambered in 9mm

Good luck

Red Dot for sale

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

~Winston Churchill
Old 10-30-2015, 6:51 AM
One Risks Nemesis
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Another vote for the 92. As long as you like the first pull of the double action trigger. Very long, but doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.

Sent from a hamster running really fast.
Old 10-30-2015, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Beretta is an excellent choice. Great reliability, great accuracy, low recoil, relatively cheap ammo, easy to operate, well built, classic looking, and $10 gets you a very decent trigger. Lots of cheap upgrades and replacement parts, magazines, etc out there.
I'd recommend the M9A1 so you can have a light rail, as it's intended to be a home defense weapon. They aren't much more than the standard 92fs (if at all).
Here's mine with a few upgrades. 3,000 rounds so far and never had a failure.
Old 10-30-2015, 7:19 AM

Someone has to say it. Consider something like the S&W Shield in 9mm. The smaller grip may please your wife and they are cheap and reliable. Don't get a 40 cal, they cost more to shoot, have a snappier recoil and
louder bark.