Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-16-2011, 8:39 PM

Default Saiga Questions

Before I posted this I used the search function for a few hours and was unable to find a clear answer, some great pics and tons of fun links but no solid answer.

Ok here we go: I have a saiga 7.62x39 sporter and I want to change the stock as it is too long for the wife to shoulder and fire (yep scored big her she enjoys shooting and even buys ammo ). So I am thinking of removing the stock and placing an adjustable stock on but then comes the question of if I put a pistol grip on it do I need the a bullet button?

And if I do need a bullet button can I ad in a forward grip and still be legal? Just trying to stay out of trouble.

After this I will be slowly building 2 AR's one for her and one for me.

If this has been covered in another thread please let me know and provide links. My search-fu is weak tonight.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

I was gonna help but then you mentioned AR's thought you needed help with an ak. Just kidding...
If you want a pistol grip you need a bullet button plus 4 other u.s. Made parts
Tapco trigger group 3 parts
U.s. Made stock 1 part
U.s. Made pistol grip 1 part.
Youre good to go n dont forget the bullet guide.
Our dogs bite
Malinois n Dutch shep pups available all ages Working homes only.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:33 PM

why dont you get her the saiga 5.45 (They're only $299) and chop the stock off from the back and wrap one of those limbsavers over. By the time you finish converting the 762, you probably will spend around that much for another rifle. Plus the 545 has less recoil and with the limbsaver will give your wife a great gun to shoot. Plus the ammo is cheap too!

edit: welcome to calguns btw
Old 11-16-2011, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the 545x39 too
Our dogs bite
Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 PM

NorCalK9.com thanks for the help even if I am also building an AR.
I forgot to mention I was going to have to change a few other parts to be legal.

comblock Yea I could but where would the fun be then? Also we tend to set up our equipment to match so we have cross compatibility of mags and ammo. So that would end up being $867.91 for 2 to follow our set up with tax and DROS.

Thank you for the welcome.
Old 11-17-2011, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Dont build the AR's just get 3 more ak's that match and a bunch of ammo and still save money.
Our dogs bite
Old 11-17-2011, 3:11 PM

Can you put a AK stock (shorter) in place of the long Saiga stock?
Old 11-17-2011, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

"Adjustable" (telescoping or folding) requires a bullet button.
Pistol grip requires a bullet button.

Once the bullet button is on, you can have any or all of:
Folding/telescoping buttstock
Pistol Grip
Vertical forward grip
Flash Hider
Flare launcher (PC specifies grenade, but that is illegal under other laws, but the flare launcher would become legal)

Note that even with the bullet button, your minimum overall length with the buttstock in it's shortest position must be 30" or greater.

Yes, you can replace the Saiga stock with a normal AK stock and not need a bullet button, but the grip is not comfortable. Personally, I wish someone would make some nice replacement sporter stocks for the Saiga that are the same length as the AK.

If you're handy with woodworking, there's no reason you couldn't do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-17-2011, 6:00 PM

NorCalK9.com I could but I am an equal opportunity platform user. Finally delving into this world (AK and AR) after years, nay, decades of handguns and lever action rifles only. After a bit here going to go to shot guns too. Real bad experience with a double barreled couch gun with 3" magnum shells when I was 6 (uncle thought it would be the best way to teach me).

Cokebottle I am asking because I saw a ton of builds with the "evil features" but no bullet button and thus wondering. True I could make a stock been in the trades for years, humm wonder what type of wood to use. Thank you off to google and see what I can find, maybe ipe.

Everyone that answered thank you once more for your help. Going to try a few things and see what works.
Old 11-17-2011, 6:34 PM

I settled the AR vs AK dispute... I have an AR and an AK, and an M1 Carbine and 870 riot! My AR is a GAU-5P AF build with pinned CAR stock and hammerhead, and the AK is a fully restored Saiga in AK103 tri m with a Kydex paddle. I like my High-caps!
Old 11-17-2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garith View Post
I am asking because I saw a ton of builds with the "evil features" but no bullet button and thus wondering.
Keep in mind that there are differences between the California "evil features" and the expired Federal ban.

The Federal ban included the bayo lug and threaded barrel on the list.
California does not.

Also keep in mind that many of the BB-less featured builds you see are not new builds, but are in fact registered at the time of the ban.

New builds without the BB and with features? Ya... it happens, and when I see it it's a

A few people seem to enjoy poking the bear.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-17-2011, 7:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garith View Post

Cokebottle I am asking because I saw a ton of builds with the "evil features" but no bullet button and thus wondering. True I could make a stock been in the trades for years, humm wonder what type of wood to use. Thank you off to google and see what I can find, maybe ipe.

Everyone that answered thank you once more for your help. Going to try a few things and see what works.
Some of us lurking around dont live in CA anymore, and we post our goodies.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-18-2011, 2:10 AM

When modifying a Saiga Sporter, 922r goes into effect and it's not just about adding US made parts, it's removing the amount of foreign made parts as well. For example, adding a US made pistol grip or muzzle attachment does nothing for 922r compliance for the Saiga Sporter since although you are adding US made parts, you are not working towards compliance and reducing the amount of foreign made parts since the Sporter never came with either one.

Here's a handy 922r Calculator that takes all the guess work out of the compliance issue:
http://jobson.us/922r/

I wanted a pistol grip and telescoping stock on my Saiga Sporter so the easiest thing to make that happen and make it legal was to get one of those pistol grip/stock combos (technically only 1 part towards compliance) for unconverted Saigas, a US Made magazine (3 parts towards compliance) and a BB. Replacing the stock and installing the BB took less than 10 minutes. Any other route to get compliance other than using the US made mag was too much effort, IMHO.

I liked the stock and grip so much on my Saiga that once I had it installed, I said screw it and went ahead and spent the extra money to convert it and move the trigger group forward so I have the [SHAMELESS PLUG] Saiga stock/pistol grip and US made mags on sale in the classifieds section [/SHAMELESS PLUG] if you're interested.

Once you have it 922r compliant and BB installed, you can add all the evil features you want- pistol grip, forward grip, telescoping or folding stock (assuming it is still 30" OAL in it's shortest configuration) etc. The only downside to this is that you are now limited to a 10 round mag once you install the BB.

Last edited by 4bviper; 11-18-2011 at 2:17 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 PM

All true, but the OP is not wanting to add a pistol grip.
Installing a standard AK buttstock on a Saiga Sporter keeps it in an exempt configuration.

I honestly don't know if a telescoping buttstock triggers 922(r)... I don't believe it does, but it would still need a bullet button at that point.

Quote: