Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 5:32 PM

Angry Longest wait ever for help @ Reseda

I was recently at Turner's Reseda and waited 45 minutes for help on a reel, because the person who works in the fishing department was in the firearm section.

I asked the manager after waiting for 10 minutes if I could get some help in the fishing department as he passed by. He said he would get someone over there real quick.

I then waited another 15 minutes and went over to the register, which was empty and asked the cashier if she could ask for someone to go to fishing. She said should ask right away.

After another 15 minutes I grabbed the manager again and basically made him go to the fishing department to grab the reel I wanted. I asked, "Why isn't someone over here for the fishing department?" He replied, "If there's a wait for firearms, we send them over there, one gun is worth a lot more than what we sell in fishing gear. It's always busy like this, you should expect to wait."

My jaw hit the floor. It took 2 minutes to grab my reel and I was in line and paid within 5 minutes, $80+ for Turner's Reseda. I go there because there are awesome deals and Kyle knows his stuff, but if he's being told to sell guns and not cater to that department, which he specializes in, why should I go there?

I'd rather go to Fishing Fools and get raped on prices and spend 10 minutes in the store, rather than spend almost an hour waiting to be helped and receive a piss poor attitude from a manager. Quit selling fishing gear and quit calling yourselves Turner's Outdoorsman if you feel your only priority is firearms and firearm accessories. Or here's a better idea, hire more people if you're always busy! Send your manager's to customer service and scheduling seminars!

You offer a great range of products at great prices, that's why people shop there. People stop shopping there because the customer service is *****. I'd take an increase in prices for better customer service from your store. This is a recurring topic in this forum and obviously a big problem with your company and in particular this store.

If you don't want to lose another customer, please address this issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 6:20 PM

When I run into service like this I always consider how much my hour is worth and if I am saving enough after adding my time to the cost of the item to wait for it at a particular store.

Price, service, convenience, and how quickly I need something all factor in to where I purchase an item.

Last edited by Jsapata; 11-16-2011 at 7:07 PM..
Old 11-16-2011, 6:28 PM
In Memoriam

What did the "manager's" nametag say?
Old 11-16-2011, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interesting story. I was on the other side of it about 8 years back. I had "Joe Dirt" from the fishing dept. helping me to pick up a 10-22. It took me almost an hour just to pick up a gun because, the fishing guy didn't know what to do in the firearms dept. While I know they are under new ownership, experiences like that and being illegally overcharged for PPT fees, having extra charges added to my bill, etc. have kept me from buying anothr gun from them since then. Too bad, I've probably bought about 60-80 firearms since then. Turner's should think about all the money they lost (just from me)by taking the fishing guy out of his dept. and making him work the gun counter.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 11-16-2011, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ...........

that sucks.....
Old 11-16-2011, 7:56 PM

Paul,

I didn't get his name since he didn't have a name tag on. He was wearing a black Turner's polo, middle aged, short gray hair, above average build and a gold watch.

I really should have gotten his name, but I was so heated, I just wanted to get my reel and get out of there.
Old 11-16-2011, 8:33 PM

Can you pm me or email me your info.

One question though, were they using the number system on the gun counter?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Does it matter? Go watch the security tapes, its not our job to run your stores. Is is SOP to leave one department totally unstaffed if another is under staffed? I've bought probably a dozen guns from the Reseda store (and the pasadena store for the compact handguns) and being understaffed is always a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robz@turners View Post

Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Same complaint I've had about Turners Reseda. They're far beyond terrible.
Old 11-22-2011, 3:13 PM

I always wait 30 mins+ in turners. just because i'm young no one wants to help me. thats why i just rather go somewhere else to buy guns. only reason i stop here is if i need something small i wont need to ask anyone to get for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 9:22 AM

I waited an hour and 15 mins to buy 3 boxes of primers last night. Even with the number system it was a mess. Something needs to change.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM

I guess since Reseda is the only big name in that part of town (LA city), they feel customers don't really have a choice so they can act like a government monopoly instead of a private enterprise.

The same goes for Torrance location. It's almost impossible to get someone on the phone and the managers are almost invisible at the store.
Old 01-01-2012, 2:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz@turners View Post

Bring in another employee for the busier times. You know your high traffic periods so if you bring in one more employee for a 4 hour shift your cost is only $50 - $60 (with the employment load). Four or Five sales more than the regular staff makes during that period would pay for his time.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 AM

went once and would never go again.
Old 01-23-2012, 8:44 AM

I went to Reseda last week and had a much better experience than before.
Old 01-24-2012, 9:20 AM
CGN Contributor

I don't mind waiting in line as long as I'm first. That's why I get there when the doors open.
Old 01-24-2012, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

That store is crap. Wait over an hour to buy ammo. Pasadena is not much better IMO.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 01-25-2012, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I want to know what the policy is for picking up phone calls. Every time I call to ask if something is in stock (since half the time they never have what I want in stock) the hold takes forever. Just now I called twice to try and see if they had some ammo in stock. I second time I told the person who picked up that it was a quick question about ammo and he said he's the cashier and cannot answer any gun related questions but he will get someone right over to help me. Well 30 minutes later I just hung up.

Do the employees have to make sure that no customers are standing in front of the gun counter before picking up the phone?
Old 01-25-2012, 2:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon04GT View Post
I want to know what the policy is for picking up phone calls. Every time I call to ask if something is in stock (since half the time they never have what I want in stock) the hold takes forever. Just now I called twice to try and see if they had some ammo in stock. I second time I told the person who picked up that it was a quick question about ammo and he said he's the cashier and cannot answer any gun related questions but he will get someone right over to help me. Well 30 minutes later I just hung up.
Do the employees have to make sure that no customers are standing in front of the gun counter before picking up the phone?
Good. They were probably busy. I, for one, hate it when I've taken the time to go to a store to get help and the employees blow me off to help people who are calling them instead. If Turner's really has a policy about not picking up the phone if there are live customers in the store who need help, I'll start shopping there more often.

Old 01-25-2012, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Good. They were probably busy. I, for one, hate it when I've taken the time to go to a store to get help and the employees blow me off to help people who are calling them instead. If Turner's really has a policy about not picking up the phone if there are live customers in the store who need help, I'll start shopping there more often.
Uh huh. I'm not saying that if they are helping or about to help a live customer and the phone rings then they should turn around and pick up the phone. Of course not. I'd just like to know if they have any policy where maybe after helping out one customer they will then pick up a call that they know has been on hold for a while. Either that or they wait till there are no live customers in sight before picking up the phone. I've seen where their phones are and I know calls put on hold show a blinking light.

And you make it sound like their in-store customer service is brilliant for live customers...
Old 01-25-2012, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

I couldn't agree more with you guys. It's just sad that they habitually treat their customers like crap. I think we have ALL had the phone call that was left on hold until you hang up. I can't stand Turners anymore. Not to mention, they have screwed up 2 of 3 gun purchases I have made there. Honestly, If the other local gun stores were more competitively priced, it would be a no brainer. But it's a double edged sword, ****ty service comes with lower prices I guess....

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 01-25-2012, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon04GT View Post
Uh huh. I'm not saying that if they are helping or about to help a live customer and the phone rings then they should turn around and pick up the phone. Of course not. I'd just like to know if they have any policy where maybe after helping out one customer they will then pick up a call that they know has been on hold for a while. Either that or they wait till there are no live customers in sight before picking up the phone. I've seen where their phones are and I know calls put on hold show a blinking light.

And you make it sound like their in-store customer service is brilliant for live customers ...
On the contrary, they need all the help they can get. If not answering the phone (putting someone on hold is no really excusable) in the first place will help them focus on their live customers, they should do just that and leave the phone calls for the girls in front or maybe, one employee who is dedicated to taking phone calls.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 PM

one of my favorite Turner's had one person dedicated to answering phone during the black Friday sale.

I usually ask for someone I know there. If they are busy, they call me back when they can.
Old 01-26-2012, 1:15 PM

WHY HAVE CUSTOMERS TAKE NUMBERS IF YOU'RE GOING TO SKIP THEM??

I was at the Reseda store a few days ago picking up a gun from PPT. I took a number, waited for 1.5 hours till they got done with the number before mine (all 4 of them). Then they started calling for customers with ammo purchases....

After 30 minutes of ammo purchases the guy went to lunch... Finally someone got to me. Another 30 minutes of paper work... I had to wait another 15 minutes for another guy to do the Safety Demonstration!! Another 5 minutes waiting for the cashier becaue he was nowhere near. 2.5 hours just to pick up a gun and there were no chairs!!

I understand the paper work needed. I understand phone calls take priority too. What's the deal with skipping numbers? Why those came in after me went first if you have a number system?

But the worst thing was listening to the guy behind the counter giving customers bad or wrong info. 'you can't anneal brass like you can with steel where you heat it up and quench it...".

Last edited by huckberry668; 01-26-2012 at 1:19 PM..
Old 01-26-2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNunez23 View Post
That store is crap. Wait over an hour to buy ammo. Pasadena is not much better IMO.
PM sent
Old 01-26-2012, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Robz got his work cut out for him.
Old 01-26-2012, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffin View Post
Robz got his work cut out for him.
I'll be out there on Monday. As always, feell free to e-mail me specifics or PM me.
Old 01-30-2012, 3:47 PM

It can be very frustrating. It took well over an hour for me to purchase a gun, and a couple of trys to get it because it takes so long to get help. I don't mind giving them business, as they are the last operating gun store in the city of L.A. Other shops have been closed down and the rest are in incorprated areas of the county.