Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Best Bullet Button For AR?

Looking for recommendations on an AR bullet button that can switch from Cal legal to out of state legal with a simple twist of a screw driver or such (yes, I did use the search feature) Something like the raddlock or? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Raddlock hands down.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks, I know the question gets asked alot but products change and new ones come to market.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I second the raddlock.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM

I vote nay and say get the cheapest that works:

Site sponsor, 18.95 shipped:
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/as...utton-609.html
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Raddlock!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridave View Post
Raddlock hands down.
x2

Old 11-16-2011, 5:14 PM

+1 with the RADDLOCK 2. I had a bulletbutton and it sucked.
Old 11-16-2011, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm I have a prince bullet button. May have check out the radlock 2.
Old 11-16-2011, 5:27 PM

+6 on the Raddlock 2
Old 11-16-2011, 7:14 PM

hmmm, so what changed exactly with the raddlock, i hope it was made shorter to fit more lowers like my ma-ten...
Old 11-16-2011, 8:26 PM

Seems like most agree the Radlock is superior to the bullet button but nobody has yet explained why. What's the difference between the radlock 1 and 2 and why are they better than a bullet button?
Old 11-16-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird76 View Post
Seems like most agree the Radlock is superior to the bullet button but nobody has yet explained why. What's the difference between the radlock 1 and 2 and why are they better than a bullet button?
^This, and where can we find the best deal for the Raddlock 2
https://joinnra.nra.org/join/join.aspx
Old 11-16-2011, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridave View Post
Raddlock hands down.

this
Old 11-16-2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird76 View Post
thats because were getting tired of typing it over and over...... Rad lock is convertible if you go out of state you can twist it with a screw driver (that it comes with) and turn it into a normal button.
Old 11-16-2011, 8:40 PM

Raddlock period! I had the bullet button and it action was gritty and fitment was not good
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

The convertible bullet button stuff is such a sham! If you're going out of state, why not just take the 30 seconds and put your regular mag release in there?
Old 11-16-2011, 9:25 PM

So the Raddlock is convertible for when you go out of state (Thanks Motorwerks for typing it again) and is smoother to operate than the Bullet button according to Panchira. Those are 2 solid benefits.

I guess the Raddlock 2 must be better than 1 (more colors?) so I don't need to know the difference between the original and the sequel. I'm sold!

I almost forgot it sucks that we have to use these devices at all, but I guess the Raddlock 2 will make the experience as pleasant as possible.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:27 PM

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

"High Speed, Low Drag..GoodToGo" RTT-CQB Man

www.facebook.com/sureshotprecision

Old 11-16-2011, 9:27 PM

Uh oh Droppin Deuces made a good point just as I settled into my decision.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:37 PM

I believe the difference between Raddlock 1 & 2 is 1 needs an allen wrench & 2 uses a small flathead to loosen. Might be more to this but I'm not sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

I find the hole in the Raddlock to be too small for anything except a bullet tip. I modified my mags to have a nipple so I don't need a pointy bullet tip.

With the "Bullet Button" my mags + nipples work great but they don't work with my friends Raddlock so he's changing to the Bullet Button.

The mags + nipples are so convenient that it's worth changing the mag lock. I could make them thinner but I like the nipples the way they are. It's all about the nipples.
Old 11-17-2011, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
The convertible bullet button stuff is such a sham! If you're going out of state, why not just take the 30 seconds and put your regular mag release in there?
I disagree with this. I have purchased 3 different types of mag locks now. I have had the bullet button (aka prince 50) since it came out. Sure, it works, it does it's job, but in my opinion it is a huge pain. It is very easy to screw up the aluminum "tool" that you need to use with it. I have also purchased the M.L.D. (magazine locking device). This was a definite upgrade over the "bullet button".

Now, as many others have said, IMO the Raddlock is by far the best. The fit/finish/quality on it is by far superior. Installation AND removal is the easiest out of the bunch. I have them on 5 out of 6 builds.

I noticed one poster on here mentioned something about "buy the cheapest" at $18.95. The Raddlock costs a whopping $27.95. If that extra $9 is going to break the bank on your AR build then you probably shouldn't be building a AR.
Old 11-17-2011, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjetguy View Post
I disagree with this. I have purchased 3 different types of mag locks now. I have had the bullet button (aka prince 50) since it came out. Sure, it works, it does it's job, but in my opinion it is a huge pain. It is very easy to screw up the aluminum "tool" that you need to use with it. I have also purchased the M.L.D. (magazine locking device). This was a definite upgrade over the "bullet button".

Now, as many others have said, IMO the Raddlock is by far the best. The fit/finish/quality on it is by far superior. Installation AND removal is the easiest out of the bunch. I have them on 5 out of 6 builds.

I noticed one poster on here mentioned something about "buy the cheapest" at $18.95. The Raddlock costs a whopping $27.95. If that extra $9 is going to break the bank on your AR build then you probably shouldn't be building a AR.

Link please?
https://joinnra.nra.org/join/join.aspx
Old 11-17-2011, 6:30 AM

Quote:

Where?????
Old 11-17-2011, 7:01 AM

the raddlock seems to be the best button i have used so far, i would like to see a shorter option to eliminate the o-ring stack tho..
Old 11-17-2011, 7:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Old 11-17-2011, 9:48 AM

I think they used to be 27.00 Pretty sure they are mostly $35.00 now.

heres another fun picture though. Also I think the difference between 1 and 2 is the way the 2 looks like a standard button with its texture.

all of that said, I own 5 of them, and even went out of my way to buy an Armalite AR-10 mag catch to make it work with my DPMS style TM .308 lower. I wont run anything else, I like the way they work.
Old 11-17-2011, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

How dare you.
Old 11-17-2011, 4:00 PM

Link to best price or low shipping cost site?
Old 11-17-2011, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i bought the bullet button from midway usa for $18.99 and it cam with a little red wrench that can be screwed in

i use it with a 22lr pistol so i like how it works with a long rifle bullet unlike the radlock that needs a pointy tip
Old 11-17-2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I find the hole in the Raddlock to be too small for anything except a bullet tip. I modified my mags to have a nipple so I don't need a pointy bullet tip.

With the "Bullet Button" my mags + nipples work great but they don't work with my friends Raddlock so he's changing to the Bullet Button.

The mags + nipples are so convenient that it's worth changing the mag lock. I could make them thinner but I like the nipples the way they are. It's all about the nipples.
Are you using the UBBT (Ultimate Bullet Button Tool), or some other "nipple?" I love the UBBT , but I am trying to find out if they are compatable with the Raddlock. They work great with conventional Bullet Button, but I would like a better option, like the Raddlock, for out of state usage.
Old 11-17-2011, 7:00 PM

I will deviate from the pack here and suggest the Vamfire MLD. It uses a small allen wrench though so it's best to buy a few spares. It has a bigger hole which allows more tools, and it doesn't have the sloppy o-ring fit. I used the raddlock in AZ and while it worked, it felt lest than ideal. With the vamfire, loosening the set screw lowers the bezel down instead. Best deal I have found for both was metaldogtactical.com no tax and free shipping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 11-17-2011, 7:05 PM
Snoot lickin' good!
CGN Contributor

I was gonna say Raddlock, but it seems that there's a good chorus here for it. Let me add my voice to it: "Raaaaaddloooock!!"
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 PM

If you don't use the rubber o ring is there a little play on your Raddlock 2?

I didn't use the o ring and though you can't push down far enough to release the magazine when screwed all the way down there is still a little wiggle and a little room to push in.

What lowers were they specifically designed to use with, without the O ring and with no play when installed??

Last edited by Charles4400; 11-17-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

The bullet button is a pain to remove. I prefer the radd lock for that reason.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagle View Post
the raddlock seems to be the best button i have used so far, i would like to see a shorter option to eliminate the o-ring stack tho..
You can simply remove the O-rings and tighten the Raddlock down further so that it's "shorter." The O-rings were provided to protect the finish of the lower, though, so if you shoot a lot, you may want to keep one installed.

@Charles4400: I'm using a Spike's Tactical lower and can tighten my Raddlock V1 all the way down firmly even without the O-ring. Have never tried the V2s, but I figure they also tighten down securely without the O-rings.

+10 for the Raddlock. I actually would run one even if I didn't have to, just because the design requires much less effort to press the mag release than the original milspec button. When I went to AZ for the SMM 3-gun competition last year, I put the original mag release on, found that it had far more spring tension, and then switched back to the Raddlock in free-state mode.

Last edited by dchang0; 11-18-2011 at 12:10 AM..
Old 11-18-2011, 6:56 AM

see my thread, it doesn't fit well in a ma-ten reciever, "raddlock fitment", i would have had to drop the button well down with an endmill to get a desirable fit...
Old 11-18-2011, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
@Charles4400: I'm using a Spike's Tactical lower and can tighten my Raddlock V1 all the way down firmly even without the O-ring. Have never tried the V2s, but I figure they also tighten down securely without the O-rings.
I have the V2s on a Del Ton and a DD and without the o ring its a little bit loose on both.

It actually fits a little looser on the DD.
Old 11-18-2011, 9:02 AM

Raddlock is the way to go