Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Anyone complete an MGI OLL build?

Has anyone completed a build with the MGI lower and their QCB upper?

How did it go? Any functioning problems? ... and how easy is it to quickly swap out the barrels?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've got an MGI lower and QCB upper, but shortly after buying it, my budget for completing it went into the PS90.

My plans, however, are to build a 9mm out of it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

.....PS90 you say?......

I think this is the point where I demand pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
HK is the best $500 gun you can get for $1,000
Old 02-22-2007, 12:43 PM

I have the upper and love it. I use it with 458 SOCOM, 223, and 300 Whisper.
Hey gram, when I see you at Iron Sights in Oceanside, I'm gonna try to get you to do a trade for that lower. Bring your "A game"-John
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerAce
.....PS90 you say?......

I think this is the point where I demand pictures
Pics were posted quite a while ago, but here it is again:

Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangO3
Hey gram, when I see you at Iron Sights in Oceanside, I'm gonna try to get you to do a trade for that lower. Bring your "A game"-John
*grin* Sorry, you won't get me to trade. It's one of the things which annoys my friends the most about me... I never part with guns, by sale or by trade.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76

Very nice, I didn't see it the first time you posted it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
HK is the best $500 gun you can get for $1,000
Old 02-22-2007, 5:54 PM

That's fair, gram. I have never sold or traded a gun I didn't miss.
Old 02-22-2007, 5:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76

STILL NIB.......

CWS....WE CAN GO HOT ANYTIME....

CALIFORNICATION AT IT'S BEST...

BRD....BLACK RIFLE DISEASE.......SPREAD IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 5:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATE14
STILL NIB.......
Yeah, well who's the AW dealer permit holder who has yet to meet up with me so we can go shoot it in CA, HMMM?

Hopefully, we'll have a fixed mag setup for it in the next month or so, anyway, and it'll be more or less moot...
Old 02-22-2007, 6:05 PM

very nice, I just did a quick search for the sp90, ana didn't find the details on how you swung that. Can you direct me to the link please? I'd be interested in even having the parts gathering dust. BTW, I'm looking at going to IS on Sunday night, you open?
Old 02-22-2007, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
very nice, I just did a quick search for the sp90, ana didn't find the details on how you swung that. Can you direct me to the link please? I'd be interested in even having the parts gathering dust. BTW, I'm looking at going to IS on Sunday night, you open?
Not really, simply because this Sunday will be my first real 'day off' in over a month (gun shows every weekend, then AK builds this Saturday - probably more over the next couple Saturdays too). So, I'm not too anxious to commit to running around even more on Sunday, and my gf would probably seriously consider killing me for doing so. I've got a month's worth of backdated house cleaning left to do too, as the present state of my place is driving me nuts.

Anyawy, the PS90 was actually transferred through Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside... they'll happily do the receiver. It was shipped from CWS... the last batch they had were the tri rail version (no built-in eotech-ish sight).
Old 02-22-2007, 7:16 PM

Thanks, I know you now, I talked to you about bending flats at the show. I am the guy making the dummy display AKs for some of my friends I went to Iraq with for plaques. Anyway, let me know when you want to shoot.

Sorry for the hijack. If you want to play with a QCB let me know. It is a neet piece of expansive gear that I see very limited tactical purpose for, but totally has the, "Hey guys, check this out"

My intention getting it was that I could put it on my primary bug-out rifle in 5.56 and then just have the barrel, bolt and ammo for 458 in my pack and then I would have a round that could stop a car or any animal in North America. Now I keep it because you can get into weird calibers for less $$.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Hey Mustang...it looks like you are using the upper for what it is designed for...what lower do you have it paired up with..and when changing calibers/barrel assemblies, how well does it hold zero?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, I know you now, I talked to you about bending flats at the show. I am the guy making the dummy display AKs for some of my friends I went to Iraq with for plaques.
Ah, you're the guy who was telling me about sticking the steel rod down the barrel, breaking it off, then then welding it in place?

Quote:
Anyway, let me know when you want to shoot.
Cool. I've got a regularly scheduled range run Monday after next, if you're up for it... I show up at 7:30pm, then usually hang out around 2 hours.

Quote:
Sorry for the hijack. If you want to play with a QCB let me know. It is a neet piece of expansive gear that I see very limited tactical purpose for, but totally has the, "Hey guys, check this out"
Cool, that's pretty much what I want to do with mine, once I get around to equipping it.

Quote:
My intention getting it was that I could put it on my primary bug-out rifle in 5.56 and then just have the barrel, bolt and ammo for 458 in my pack and then I would have a round that could stop a car or any animal in North America. Now I keep it because you can get into weird calibers for less $$.
Neat idea. I've got a 50 Beowulf upper (tried a while back to hassle Alexander Arms for a standalone barrel for my QCB, but they won't sell it), but one of these days I want to start picking up some other calibers for the MGI too.
Old 02-23-2007, 8:38 AM

No, I don't fill the barrel, just cut the top rails off the reciever I made from a blank without the lower rails installed, so it could never function without a real reciever, but still holds the parts in place. I also remove the bolt and let the hammer fall far enough foreward to lock the bolt carrier foreward. My thought is since it is for a plaque, and not a training aid, it doesn't need to cycle. Additionally without destroying the barrel, if you wanted to make or buy a new reciever and build it, you haven't damaged a viable kit.

Monday after next sounds good.

I had to buy my 458 complete too, but just took it apart. You have to open up the ejection port, but it's easy. I have since though built a dedicated 458 due to, as mentioned above, zero is very different for each barrel. It returns well, but you need a all your data tight so you can move your sights all around the place. That's what the card taped to my stock was.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM

The QCB upper is well constructed.

My 7.62X39 Mike Rock barrel and 5.56 barrels are interchanged relatively easily.

The 7.62X39 lower is well made and can accept 90% of AK mags. I had one east german steel magazine in which the rear tang was too thick and could not fit the lower.

The standard lower (5.56) is rollmarked STAG and functions like any other lower and worked with Bushy, LMT, and WOA uppers, though the WOA was quite tight.

Unfortunately I have not had the time to actually fire the 7.62 conversion yet.

Full report to follow
Old 02-23-2007, 5:51 PM

The Stag Arms rollmark is no longer present on the new MGI modular lowers.

The only markings are MGI now.

The ones with the Stag rollmarks are collector's items already, representing the very first production modular lowers produced.
There were only a few dozen of them made with that Stag rollmark, and I expect that eventually they will have some historical value as the first modular lower receivers ever made for the AR15.
It is definitely a historical milestone in the development of the AR15 firearm.
twlyons@juno.com
Home of the MGI Modular AR15 System (HYDRA)!

Last edited by twl; 02-23-2007 at 6:02 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 7:42 PM

Sorry, I was just looking at my lowers. I forgot the new ones are rollmarked MGI. I think they are now billet and not forged?
Old 02-26-2007, 5:39 AM

The MGI Modular Lower Receivers are now machined from billet 7075-T6 alloy(M16 mil-spec alloy), and Type3 Hard-Anodized(M16 mil-spec) finish.

These billet receivers were designed to cover the interim, until we had our custom forgings made, and then we'll return to forged lowers.

At the time we re-introduce the forged lowers, we will raise the price of the billet lowers, because billet manufacturing is much more costly, and we've been absorbing that cost all this time, so that we didn't penalize the customers for our delay in getting forgings done.
However, when the forgings become available, they will be priced at the current $500 stripped price.
The billet lowers will then be raised to somewhere over $600 stripped.

The billet lowers are really a great deal right now, because we really aren't making hardly anything on them. They should, by all rights, be priced higher than what we are pricing them at. But, our customers come first, and there were alot of people waiting, and it wasn't fair to make them wait longer than absolutely necessary, so we made billet lowers and "ate" the cost difference by lowering our profit margin substantially, and holding the price point.

We now have the custom raw forgings in-hand, so it won't be very long now, until we make the switch over to forgings, and the price increase for billet versions will occur.
Get 'em now, if you want billet at the low price.
twlyons@juno.com
Old 03-08-2007, 5:55 AM

Pleased to announce that the billet handguard extension, which modularly extends the standard carbine-length handguard to rifle-length, on the new MGI QCB(quick-change-barrel) upper receiver, is now available and in stock!

It's another first in the industry.
MGI now produces the only modular handguard which provides for changing of length for different barrels and gas sytems, or any other need such as "Recce" configuration.

It is billet-machined, 4-rail, ventilated, Type III Hard Anodized, and matches the existing carbine handguard exactly, so that it looks just like a one-piece full-length rifle handguard when it is installed on the QCB. The joint is very strong, and very hard to see, even up close. Very slick!

I couldn't get an image link to work for some reason, so here's a link to a thread showing the extension at the bottom of the page.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...page=10#bottom
twlyons@juno.com

Last edited by twl; 03-08-2007 at 6:01 AM..
Old 03-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twl View Post
...There were only a few dozen of them made with that Stag rollmark, and I expect that eventually they will have some historical value as the first modular lower receivers ever made for the AR15.
It is definitely a historical milestone in the development of the AR15 firearm.
How does that fit into the the time frame of the modular Cobb MCR release. I thought they were the first ones to the party.
Old 03-08-2007, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsreeftank View Post
How does that fit into the the time frame of the modular Cobb MCR release. I thought they were the first ones to the party.
Actually, MGI hit the consumer market about 6-8 months before the Cobb rifle did. I was watching that very closely, because it could have potentially affected our market position.
Also, the Cobb rifle is not really an AR15, it is a Cobb rifle.
You can't just put an AR15 upper on a Cobb lower, or put an AR15 lower on a Cobb upper.They are Cobb-specific.

Nothing wrong with that, of course.

But we have the modular AR15, that is compatible with AR15 items.
A normal AR15 upper will go right on our Modular Lower, and our QCB upper will go right on a normal AR15 lower. All AR15 compatible.
Naturally, with normal AR15 receiver units put on our stuff, you can't get all the features by doing that, but it will work just fine as an AR15 with a "mix and match" setup with either our upper or lower receiver.
twlyons@juno.com
Old 03-08-2007, 1:18 PM

HI Tom,

Do you have any step by step photos / video of how the quick change barrel operates...I know that there are two locking cams/tabs on the underside. But is it just unlock the tabs, pull straight out to remove present barrel, and then slide in the new barrel and re-lock those tabs underneath? or is it a bit more involved than that?
Old 03-08-2007, 2:38 PM

Yes, I can't seem to get any of my photos to come up anymore on this new server for some reason.

However, here is a link to the page in our thread on ARFcom, that shows how the QCB locking system works on our new QCB.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=299092&page=8

You lock the bolt back, so the lugs aren't engaged with the barrel extension.
Then you slide the sliding block forward on the rail, to expose the locking levers.
Then, open both locking levers fully 90 degrees on each side.
Pull the barrel straight out the front.
Installing is reverse procedure.

We now have a safety bail that captures the sliding block for extra insurance that it can never move until you release the bail.
It is shown on the link I provided, below the initial photos.
twlyons@juno.com