Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-21-2007, 7:03 PM

Default best current 223 ammo deals

What are some good deals out there right now excluding wolf(I have plenty of that already). Canned heat has been reliable for me, and the Hunting Shack seems pretty reasonable...what else is out there right now?
Old 02-21-2007, 7:50 PM
Banned

180.00 for a 720 round can and 28-30 UPS shipping to the west coast.

Disregard the 160.00 price on web page.

http://www.iscnetwork.com/patsreloading/ammo.htm
Old 02-21-2007, 8:18 PM

I'm glad I just picked up my 223. I bought it from pats a few weeks ago and got 4 cans for $180 per can shipped. Make sure to order in increments of 2 cans because the shipping on 2 cans is just over 40 bucks.
Old 02-21-2007, 9:04 PM

One of your best bets would be to stock up when the gun show comes into town. You usually get a fairly decent price without paying shipping. The GS comes to Del Mar about every three months, this is the only time I purchase ammo. I have not found better prices locally in San Diego county.
Old 02-21-2007, 9:41 PM

I just bought some Wolf 55gr. HP for $105.00/1000(unbelievable I know, but I can still get it at that price), I just wanted some different options...any good sources out there right now for Guatemalan?
Old 02-21-2007, 9:52 PM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/produ...ducts_id=70656
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

OK deal but no strippers and bandoleers. thats equal to .26 cents a round not inc shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Ammo bros had 55gr reloads for $109.00/500 at ontario.
Old 02-22-2007, 2:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yep... Ammobros is the best deal in town, when they can get projectiles. Lately, that's been an issue for them.

Anyway, in the local SD area, probably your best bet is the Federal that American Shooting Center seems to have on sale whenever I'm in there. The price isn't too bad on it.

Of course, if you reload, you can make plinking ammo yourself for about 8.7c/rd...
Old 02-22-2007, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76
Of course, if you reload, you can make plinking ammo yourself for about 8.7c/rd...
but...only if you already have the brass. I like to stock pile....so it costs me about 18 cents a round including brass.

but your right...for my revolving plinking supply 8 cents is doable....
Old 02-22-2007, 8:21 AM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam
OK deal but no strippers and bandoleers. thats equal to .26 cents a round not inc shipping.
i make no claims for this being the best stuff out there. I personally would take this stuff over wolf and Radway Green though. Luckily i still got a 1000 rounds of some guatamalan...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 02-22-2007, 8:29 AM
Banned

I guess we should be happy we can buy ammo at all.

Have a look at this thread from NorthEastShooters.com

I have a feeling it will be this way all over the country in the next 5-10 years or maybe even sooner.

I have a feeling I will find alot better deal on the ammo at a local Gunshow or even The Big Reno Show.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...ad.php?t=16785
Old 02-22-2007, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

If I *had* to shoot someone else's reloads, it would either be:

Black Hills blue box
Hunting Shack

If this guy is still selling Hornady Remanufactured ammo, I would also get this:

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj
If I *had* to shoot someone else's reloads, it would either be:

Black Hills blue box
Hunting Shack

If this guy is still selling Hornady Remanufactured ammo, I would also get this:

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm
Do you think the major's stuff is as good as Black Hills blue box?

Seriously thinking about order 1K... Have you tried it?

Also, what is the highest (loosest?) twist you'd shoot this stuff through -- 1:8? 1:9? ?
Old 02-22-2007, 1:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesmoke
but...only if you already have the brass. I like to stock pile....so it costs me about 18 cents a round including brass.

but your right...for my revolving plinking supply 8 cents is doable....
All I've got to say is, indoor ranges...

Some ranges don't mind if you pick up rifle brass, as long as you don't touch the handgun brass that they reload. I frequently leave with a hundred or so extra 223 casings from my range.

BTW, http://www.brassworldonline.org/ - once fired 223 brass for about 4 cents apiece. Flat rate shipping... and occasionally they get in 6.8SPC brass.
Old 02-22-2007, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike
Do you think the major's stuff is as good as Black Hills blue box?

Seriously thinking about order 1K... Have you tried it?

Also, what is the highest (loosest?) twist you'd shoot this stuff through -- 1:8? 1:9? ?
From what I've read on the National Match forums, this stuff is good. A year ago they did have a couple bad rounds reported where the case split on a competitor, but out of how many hundreds of thousands of rounds sold, a few bad rounds is expected.

Anyway, I've never tried any of it, but from what I understand, 24.0gr of Varget and a Hornady 75gr BTHP will duplicate the Hornady remanufactured ammo the Major sells. For those that don't reload, this is a good solid recipe and should work in almost any rifle. As far as twist rate, Hornady themselves claims that you can shoot their 75gr BTHP in a 1 in 9" twist. I think that's a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation. I know it will shoot in 1 in 8" or better. One of the guys at my range bought some 75gr A-Max bullets off me to load for his Savage in .223 which has a 1 in 9" twist, and he got good groups with it. But again, you may want to test the bullet if you have a 1 in 9" before you go buying 1000 rounds of it.

If anyone is interested in it, you should give the Major a call. Not sure how accurate that webpage is, if it's still up to date, etc.

My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 02-22-2007, 3:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj
From what I've read on the National Match forums, this stuff is good. A year ago they did have a couple bad rounds reported where the case split on a competitor, but out of how many hundreds of thousands of rounds sold, a few bad rounds is expected.

Anyway, I've never tried any of it, but from what I understand, 24.0gr of Varget and a Hornady 75gr BTHP will duplicate the Hornady remanufactured ammo the Major sells. For those that don't reload, this is a good solid recipe and should work in almost any rifle. As far as twist rate, Hornady themselves claims that you can shoot their 75gr BTHP in a 1 in 9" twist. I think that's a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation. I know it will shoot in 1 in 8" or better. One of the guys at my range bought some 75gr A-Max bullets off me to load for his Savage in .223 which has a 1 in 9" twist, and he got good groups with it. But again, you may want to test the bullet if you have a 1 in 9" before you go buying 1000 rounds of it. Or better yet, build another rifle with a 1 in 7" if it doesn't.

If anyone is interested in it, you should give the Major a call. Not sure how accurate that webpage is, if it's still up to date, etc.
fixed it for you.
Old 02-22-2007, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT
fixed it for you.
Heh. That'll work.

Old 02-22-2007, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I have a 1:7 so I'm good to go. But my buddy has a High Standard carbine-style upper that he's not sure what the twist is on it...

I just wanted to know if he could shoot this stuff through his.

Ocabj, as always man -- you are the source of some of the most useful info on this board (for me anyway).
Old 02-22-2007, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

1 in 9" is not ideal for heavy bullets, specifically 77gr and higher, which are primarily used for competition shooting (NRA/CMP high power), and in limited numbers by military special operations (77gr ammo via MK262).

1 in 9" for some reason was picked by most of the commercial AR manufacturers. Perhaps they thought it gave the best balance as far as light bullets are concerned. You could shoot a wide range of bullets from 40gr on to 69, and possibly (according to Hornady), 75gr.

For some reason, complete rifles from commercial manufacturers are very rare with a 1 in 7" twist. Colt is still the only company that really pumps out rifles in 1 in 7" for the commercial market.

Some will argue that 1 in 7" is too fast. As long as you shoot 55gr or higher, you're ok. Some will claim that 55gr won't shoot accurately in a 1 in 7". My question to those that make this claim is why won't it? You need a higher twist rate to stabilize longer bullets. So if you have a fast twist rate, there's not reason why it can't stablize a lighter bullet. It's not like you can overstabilize a bullet.

The only reason you would want to stay 'heavy enough' for 1 in 7" is in the rare chance that you tear the jacket off the bullet. There is a possibility that the jacket will separate from the core if you shoot a light round in a fast twist rate barrel at a fast enough muzzle velocity. 55gr is more than heavy enough in a 1 in 7" to avoid this. I even shot 52gr out of a 1 in 7" with no problem. 40gr on the other hand might be an issue...

That's why you don't really ever see 1 in 9" ARs on the firing line at any service rifle high power competition. Everyone's either got a 1 in 8" or 1 in 7" (or a weird variation like 1 in 7.7"). Heavier and better bullets for 22cal that came out in the 1990s is the reason why ARs now dominate service rifle high power. The rifle itself was accurate; the ammo wasn't.

But, 1 in 9" is perfectly fine for the regular, non service rifle high power shooter. Most people shoot 55gr or 62gr surplus at the range and that's it. Even 3 gunners may go as high as 69gr Sierra Match Kings, but that's it.

Old 02-26-2007, 8:57 AM

Natchezss has some AE FMJ 55gr for 5.25/20rd box, cheapest I can find online.
Old 02-26-2007, 6:19 PM

Default Reload

Ok, Gentlemen. Would somebody share the recepy for 8 cents per round reloads? I spend 3-4c/round on primer, 10-12 c/round bullet, plus undetermined yet ammount on powder. What am I doing wrong? Oh, and I don't want to cast my own bullets. The Sportsmans Warehouse got some ULTRAMAX remanufactured ammo for 13.99/50 rounds.Thank ya'll.
Vasiliy

Last edited by Vepr62; 02-26-2007 at 6:24 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsped View Post
out of curiosity whats bad about my 1:9 thats what my bushy is.
It probably will not stablize the heavier bullets.... ie. 75gr or 77gr...which are the rounds the you would want to you if you want to shoot "further" with your AR platform...

Look on ammo-oracle.com for more info.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Default ammo

So, nobody wants to give me the recepy for 8 cents/round reloads for .223?
Natchez http://natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conten...re=&startRow=1 got some affordable ammo. 55gr. Nato (Federal) and 55 gr. S&B, for $5.99/box of 20, or $5.59 for 10 boxes.
Vasiliy
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

8 cents a round? Where are you getting this number from? I don't think anyone can reload .223 for under 10 cents a round.

Golden West Brass has 55gr FMJ for $128 per 2000. That alone is 6.5 cents per bullet.

Even with WC844 at $100 per 8lb keg, and at 25.0gr per round, that's 4.5 cents per round.

Make it 2 cents per primer and you've got 13 cents per round not counting brass.

Old 02-27-2007, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1777 View Post
I just bought some Wolf 55gr. HP for $105.00/1000(unbelievable I know, but I can still get it at that price), I just wanted some different options...any good sources out there right now for Guatemalan?
care to share how you can get 105 for 1000 of wolf?
Old 02-27-2007, 3:48 PM
CGN Contributor

is this a decent deal?

360 rd. battle pack - $65
720 rd. can - $150

i think they may be radway green. oh, are boxer primed cases reloadable or was it berden?
Old 02-27-2007, 3:59 PM

Thats a good deal...I think the Radway green is one of the best deals out there.

I havn't seen it as cheap as those prices in a few months though....can I ask who has it at that price?
Old 02-27-2007, 4:01 PM

I believe its boxer primed that's reloadable.
Old 02-27-2007, 4:06 PM
CGN Contributor

what about this one:

guatamalan 1560rd. @ $343 any good?

how about some .308 prices

aussie f4 - 160 rd. pack @$30
Old 02-27-2007, 4:18 PM

Default reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
Yep... Ammobros is the best deal in town, when they can get projectiles. Lately, that's been an issue for them.

Anyway, in the local SD area, probably your best bet is the Federal that American Shooting Center seems to have on sale whenever I'm in there. The price isn't too bad on it.

Grammaton76 claims it is doable, so i want to know the recepy. LOL
Vasiliy
Old 02-27-2007, 4:21 PM
Part time Emperor

Canyon Sports in Martinez (SF East Bay) has American Eagle & Remington 55 gr for $5.99/20 rds.
Old 02-27-2007, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post

If that's the Aussie .308 surplus that dried up a long time ago, I seriously doubt that price (or even that it's available, at any price).
Old 02-27-2007, 5:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
If that's the Aussie .308 surplus that dried up a long time ago, I seriously doubt that price (or even that it's available, at any price).
i'll try to order it and see if it goes through.
Old 02-27-2007, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr62 View Post
Grammaton76 claims it is doable, so i want to know the recepy. LOL
Vasiliy
Just running the numbers, it does not seem possible to reload for $0.08/round at current prices. Perhaps a year ago, when bullets were cheaper...
Old 02-27-2007, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
what about this one:

guatamalan 1560rd. @ $343 any good?

Please PM me with the location of this aussie 308 for 30/160rds. Thanks

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 02-27-2007, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well, if you're not joking, I'd also appreciate a PM for that source. I would like to buy a few hundred rounds.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Please PM me the details as well.

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM
Old 02-28-2007, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blfd1 View Post
Please PM me the details as well.
me too!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Ok.. I'll chime in with what I have..

I purchased some WC846 ball powder for $10 a pound, 8# total some time back. Let's call it 26 gr per round = $.0371 per cartridge. I picked up 6k of the Pulled and sized 55 gr FMJ's from an online source. They were $93/3k add $9 shipping for a total of $102/3k or .034 per bullet. I use Winchester Small Rifle primers, call it $22 with tax or .022 per primer. so all total $.0371 + $.034 + .022 = $.0931 per loaded cartridge. I get my brass for free so I don't add in that cost, but if you wanted to you can get it for probably a $.05 each, $.1431 each round.

Now when I run out of WC846, I can no longer find it for this cheap and it is currently going for about $100 per 8 pound keg. So my cost will go up but I have an adequate supply of inexpensive projectiles. I've tested the pulled bullets and they are accurate enough for blasting at close range and good enough for 8" targets out to at least 200 yards (out of my heavy barreled Mini-14). I'm just happy I took the plunge on the bullets before they sold out.

Vince