Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 1:23 PM

Default Seriously on the dealer transfers?

Seriously on the $150+ dros+ sales tax on the ffl to ffl transfer? You guys are better off just putting up a sign saying "GO AWAY" . I was going to purchase a Glock 17 and do a transfer on a DSA FAL receiver at the same time until I got an earful of the transfer fee. You guys can conduct your business however you like, it's your business, but that's just straight up insulting. You guys still don't get it. People who do transfers do buy guns locally. Close to $200 for a transfer? My money walks. Ymmv.
Old 11-12-2011, 1:52 PM

I've seen worse!
Old 11-12-2011, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Wow and I thought herb beaur in fresno was the worse ever. They charged $125 last time I was there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2011, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

$150 We need to adjust our prices...

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM
Old 11-12-2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnjeep1 View Post
Seriously on the $150+ dros+ sales tax on the ffl to ffl transfer? You guys are better off just putting up a sign saying "GO AWAY" . I was going to purchase a Glock 17 and do a transfer on a DSA FAL receiver at the same time until I got an earful of the transfer fee. You guys can conduct your business however you like, it's your business, but that's just straight up insulting. You guys still don't get it. People who do transfers do buy guns locally. Close to $200 for a transfer? My money walks. Ymmv.
I think you must have heard wrong. They quote $125 in OC, same as Grant Boys.
Old 11-12-2011, 2:52 PM

I heard the man right. $150+dros+sales tax. Even if it were $125+dros +sales tax, that's still crazy.
Old 11-12-2011, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

per the BOE, ffl's are also to collect sales tax on the item being transferred too, if it's a ffl transfer from out of state. Most ffl's are getting ready, or already have, hiked their transfer fees in response to the added bookeeping they are now required to do.
Old 11-12-2011, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGGUY View Post
Bright Spot has been $75 for about a year...
That still out the door.... FFL and DROS.
That's a $50 FFL fee, and is still among the cheapest with most shops being $60-$75 plus DROS.

BTW: For stripped lowers and other inexpensive guns, particularly NDS AKM lowers, OC Indoor in Brea has one of the better deals.
Their FFL transfer fee is 15% of the cost of the gun, up to a maximum of $55 (the $55 cap may be higher now, I don't know).
So that $55 NDS lower would be about $35 plus tax. Much better than a transfer where the FFL transfer + DROS ends up being twice the cost of the lower.

Keep in mind that the FFL transfer fee is taxable IF the original sale is taxable....

So by example, say you're buying a $500 gun, your FFL transfer fee is $50, and your city's sales tax rate is 8.25%:
Buy a gun from a private party = Not taxable. Total OTD is
$500 Gun cost to seller
$50 FFL
$25 DROS
=$575 - $500 to seller, $75 to FFL

Buy a gun from a dealer = Taxable. Total OTD is
$500 Gun cost to seller
....$41.25 tx
$50 FFL
....$4.13 tx
$25 DROS
=$595.38 - $500 to seller, $95.38 to FFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2011, 8:16 PM

Old 11-14-2011, 4:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnjeep1 View Post
Our fees are definitely not the lowest (nor apparently, the highest)- $125, plus DROS and Use Tax, if applicable. As we've mentioned in some other threads, we are not able to do them for the $50-$70 that pawn shops charge.

We do some FFL transfers for free (NRA, CRPA, DU, CWA and other non-profits) we do others for reduced cost (LE or Military when doing factory direct orders) but for those guns purchased elsewhere (out-of-state dealers, online, etc.) we charge the full price.

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest (Coming Soon)

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Holiday Flyer Sale and Black Friday Specials | Our Weekly Ad | Current Closeout Firearm List
Old 11-14-2011, 4:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post
per the BOE, ffl's are also to collect sales tax on the item being transferred too, if it's a ffl transfer from out of state. Most ffl's are getting ready, or already have, hiked their transfer fees in response to the added bookeeping they are now required to do.
Yep, it all adds up.

The interesting thing is that we still end up doing more FFL transfers than some of the more "transfer-friendly" "dealers". In fact we end up doing a larger number of transfers than some guys likely do in new guns...

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest (Coming Soon)

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Holiday Flyer Sale and Black Friday Specials | Our Weekly Ad | Current Closeout Firearm List
Old 11-21-2011, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post
Yep, it all adds up.

The interesting thing is that we still end up doing more FFL transfers than some of the more "transfer-friendly" "dealers". In fact we end up doing a larger number of transfers than some guys likely do in new guns...
With that kind of volume you'd think you could drop the price...

Add $125 to most of what's on the WTS board & it's cheaper to buy new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 11-22-2011, 8:28 AM

It seems like there has been an hike in out-of-state transfer fees across many FFL's. Also the collection of sales tax is required (well from what I heard it's made more clear that it's required and enforced). The state of Cali is desperate for any tax dollars. $150 + DROS + tax - Wow - I was complaining to my FFL when they hiked it from a flat $75 (includes DROS) to a flat $100 fee. They also charge sales tax on the their fee (i.e. the fee excluding the $25 DROS is taxed). Now I'm not complaining anymore.

I'm guessing this will have a big impact on the online retailers. On the plus side should increase the local sales but at the expense of the consumer. The added fees and now including sales tax doesn't justify ordering online anymore.
Old 11-22-2011, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

There is not a gun that I have seen online or out of state that I have not found on calguns or at a local dealer for the same price or cheaper.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 11-22-2011, 4:55 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
There is not a gun that I have seen online or out of state that I have not found on calguns or at a local dealer for the same price or cheaper.

I agree about 99%.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Had originally posted that a competitors price was lower (looks like post was removed) - just called said competitor and was told fee has now increased to $100, $75 fee $25 DROS and they now charge sales tax - if no invoice is included they will charge (even on a used gun) sales tax at MSRP.

So much for buying used, the gun I wanted to buy used to save a few bucks will cost me the price of a brand new gun (when you add $100 to the price + shipping), and then they charge you sales tax on an out of state purchase.
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 11-23-2011, 7:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Sales tax is NOT due on a private party out of state sale.
Used gun vs "new" gun is not the trigger... the trigger is "did you buy it from a dealer or a private party"

If you bought a 100 year old 1911 from a dealer, it is taxable, same as if you walked into Turner's and bought the same gun.

So buy private party, and make sure that the seller includes some kind of invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.