Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Default Honda EU2000 off-grid prepper "torture" test

OK so here is my thinking on this.....

I have the EU2k gen and it now has 718hrs. It semi-failed at 365hrs with a stuck open valve and failure to start. It spent 5 weeks in the shop after I ran a honda flowchart diagnosis on it and it came back as a stator issue. I took it in for warranty repair and they said it was a stuck valve 5 weeks later, handing me the bill, it failed again 13hrs later. Both shops I brought it to said 300hrs was a whole lot for this generator, and stated "it was a rec. use only 2 weekends per year generator." They didnt mention that low hour info when I bought it.

The shop also told me they NEVER, then corrected themselves, said hardly ever made any repairs under warranty. The service mngr. stated it was "always fuel related". They blamed my stuck valve on fuel (the same fuel used in my other genset, car, motorcycle, truck, pressure washer etc, with no failures).

So heres the test:

I'm going to run the wheels off this generator. Run it till it dies completely!

I am using it 4-5hrs per day to charge batteries. We just do not get enough solar during winter months. It has 700+hrs now. I have heard/read it will go to 1k, some say 1500hrs. I am going to run it till it is finished.

I will post every detail of the test. Everyone on the net will know how these generators are built and how long they will survive. It semi-failed at 365hrs and had to be repaired. From everything I read these generators have extremely weak return springs. The shop tech said they were so weak a 1yr-old baby could push them together.

I will change the oil every 100hrs (suggested by factory) with mobil 1 10-30.
I will also run it with the eco-button off the first 5 mins of run to get it hot and burn off valve sooting. So far the 5 min blast seems to be keeping the valve guides from getting gunked up and sticking again. The valves did stick 13hrs after the first repair, and before I started running full-throttle, but started later that day. I ran the gen full throttle for 30mins after that. I use non-eth premium and seafoam in the fuel. The gas never has a chance to get old. I use almost 5 gals per week now.

I am adding about 140-150hrs per month so I will post back if when it fails.
I should start a go-fund-me account to help pay for this. I had originally planned to sell it as a high hour gen and get 600 to help buy a new one. But I am kind of frosted at Honda for blaming every failure on gas.

So here we go......

Last edited by uparmor; 12-29-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Old 12-29-2016, 4:00 PM

Well that is a shock to hear but look forward to your updates so much for honda reliability
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 12-29-2016, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am in the market for a 2k watt generator and Honda is #1 on the list...Guess I will wait and see...
Old 12-29-2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
Well that is a shock to hear but look forward to your updates so much for honda reliability
To make repairs harder honda designed this engine as a mono block without a head to remove for easy repairs. Engine tear down is a solid 12hrs for a honda shop tech.

It gets worse......

All new honda generators have "Made in china" on the side of the box. They are not made in japan any longer. Mine was made in japan and lasted to 300hrs. How long do you think chinese crap will last?

Last edited by uparmor; 12-29-2016 at 8:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2016, 8:38 PM

Tracking this thread as that very model was 1 of 3 i am researching for the 3x a year blackouts we have here in this 3rd world city....

Hillary followers and anti Trumpites: We are sorry you are in darkness now. You need to undertake the TARD protocol to become rational again.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

How often do you treat with Seafoam? At the rate you use it once a week sounds good. It will help avoid fuel-related problems and it's cheaper than a shop bill.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 PM

Keep us updated . I also bought an EU2000i this past year ....
Old 12-30-2016, 6:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Both shops said 300 hours was a lot for a Honda EU2000i...?

I am having a problem with that....

I know people who get 2000 hours on up to 4000 hours on these Hondas.

Sure, they need maintenance, oil changes, filter changes and synthetic oil.

Keep us informed....

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-30-2016, 8:22 AM

Both!

Both said it was an occasional use recreational generator with plastic internal parts not made for my type of use.
The first shop wanted to do a complete service because of "high" hours before he would attemp any warranty repairs.

He wanted to clean combustion chamber, valve adjustment and spark arrestor clean before any repairs. He refused to fix the generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Both shops said 300 hours was a lot for a Honda EU2000i...?

I am having a problem with that....

I know people who get 2000 hours on up to 4000 hours on these Hondas.

Sure, they need maintenance, oil changes, filter changes and synthetic oil.

Keep us informed....

Bob

Last edited by uparmor; 12-30-2016 at 8:27 AM..
Old 12-30-2016, 8:47 AM

Sorry, wrong tool for the wrong job. You cannot run a railroad spike with a tack hammer and complain when it won't do the job.

I can not think of a better made generator than a Honda for home use. We have a eb 11000 that has 2800 plus hours on it and it runs just fine. It is properly sized for the task it is being used for.

It cracks me up when people buy these tiny little gen sets and expect them to work for a use they were never intended for.

If you have a gen set that won't run everything you want all at the same time you screwed up and bought the wrong unit.

Rule of thumb with any gen set application is to find total load and double it. Most homes will need a minimum of a 7.5 kv continuous duty gen set.

At the ranch we have a multiquip 15 kv unit that backs up our solar when the power grid is down. It is a bullet proof unit that works to perfection. With the low snow forecast for next week it and the short stormy days it will get a workout.

Buy once-cry once
Old 12-30-2016, 2:09 PM

Interesting; the EU2000i is next item I am thinking of acquiring for emergencies.
Old 12-30-2016, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Sorry, wrong tool for the wrong job. You cannot run a railroad spike with a tack hammer and complain when it won't do the job.

I can not think of a better made generator than a Honda for home use. We have a eb 11000 that has 2800 plus hours on it and it runs just fine. It is properly sized for the task it is being used for.

It cracks me up when people buy these tiny little gen sets and expect them to work for a use they were never intended for.

If you have a gen set that won't run everything you want all at the same time you screwed up and bought the wrong unit.

Rule of thumb with any gen set application is to find total load and double it. Most homes will need a minimum of a 7.5 kv continuous duty gen set.

At the ranch we have a multiquip 15 kv unit that backs up our solar when the power grid is down. It is a bullet proof unit that works to perfection. With the low snow forecast for next week it and the short stormy days it will get a workout.

Buy once-cry once
Good advice.....^^^^^

Food for thought.

Be well and the best in the coming New Year Kevin.

Appreciate your ideas and experiences.

Be well

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-30-2016, 2:45 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Just what are you trying to do with such a small generator? Hell, I have the 3000is, and it barely runs a microwave and a few lights.
Old 12-30-2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:

Buy once-cry once
I don't see anywhere that the OP mentioned it not doing the job he bought it for. As I read his post, he was having mechanical issues. It's a Honda. We buy them because they're generally mechanically very reliable. In our house we have a Pilot, a CR-V, a Honda Mower and a small tiller. They all run great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbaby View Post
Interesting; the EU2000i is next item I am thinking of acquiring for emergencies.
I was looking at buying the master/slave pair for added versatility of increased load and/or redundancy for emergency back up of a couple critical things, not the hole house.

Very curious to see how this works out.
Old 12-30-2016, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
I don't see anywhere that the OP mentioned it not doing the job he bought it for. As I read his post, he was having mechanical issues. It's a Honda. We buy them because they're generally mechanically very reliable. In our house we have a Pilot, a CR-V, a Honda Mower and a small tiller. They all run great.

I was looking at buying the master/slave pair for added versatility of increased load and/or redundancy for emergency back up of a couple critical things, not the hole house.

Very curious to see how this works out.
Try driving your Honda's wide open all the time and see how they last.
Old 12-30-2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Try driving your Honda's wide open all the time and see how they last.
Try doing that with any motorized device. Machines wear over time and wear faster the harder you run them. There's a reason there are Bentley and Ferrari service centers. Add in Rolex and they don't even have an internal combustion motor. Please tighten up on the condescending posting.

You don't know me and I don't know you, but I do know that my Dad was a boat mechanic, my step father was a Chrysler Master Technician. I've been around motors all my life. My first job was in a hotrod shop when I was twelve. I worked in a mower repair shop and at a gas station in high school (and a machine shop). I never wanted to turn wrenches for a living as I saw how physically abusive it was as one ages, but I worked on plenty of my own cars and motorcycles when I was younger. I had morotcycles from all of the Japanese big three and always thought the Hondas were built better.

Not wanting to be a mechanic for a living, I went to school to be a machinist and worked in the field for a short time. I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do for a living either, so I went into sales a little over 30 years ago. Sales has been good to me. It has allowed me the luxury of a well equipped machine shop in the garage and a roll away full of Snap on, Craftsman and MAc stuff that lets me do pretty much all I need. I understand what makes stuff go, and what makes it fail, and might even be able to make a replacement part.

In my humble opinion, Honda generally makes pretty well engineered stuff.

YMMV

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 12-30-2016 at 5:40 PM..
Old 12-30-2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Try doing that with any motorized device. Machines wear over time and wear faster the harder you run them. There's a reason there are Bentley and Ferrari service centers. Add in Rolex and they don't even have an internal combustion motor. Please tighten up on the condescending posting.

You don't know me and I don't know you, but I do know that my Dad was a boat mechanic, my step father was a Chrysler Master Technician. I've been around motors all my life. My first job was in a hotrod shop when I was twelve. I worked in a mower repair shop and at a gas station in high school (and a machine shop). I never wanted to turn wrenches for a living as I saw how physically abusive it was as one ages, but I worked on plenty of my own cars and motorcycles when I was younger. I had morotcycles from all of the Japanese big three and always thought the Hondas were built better.

Not wanting to be a mechanic for a living, I went to school to be a machinist and worked in the field for a short time. I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do for a living either, so I went into sales a little over 30 years ago. Sales has been good to me. It has allowed me the luxury of a well equipped machine shop in the garage and a roll away full of Snap on, Craftsman and MAc stuff that lets me do pretty much all I need. I understand what makes stuff go, and what makes it fail, and might even be able to make a replacement part.

In my humble opinion, Honda generally makes pretty well engineered stuff.

YMMV
Well I did go into the mechanic's field and farming. I have owned my own shop for over 35 years. 4 techs and we are a very busy shop. I have owned my own 100 acre vineyard for over 25 years and the ranch is a very busy place also. Between the two places I have over half a million dollars in tools and equipment. I always try to use the right tools and equipment for the task at hand.

My family and I have built everything at the ranch.

The advice I gave is sound and backed up with over 40 years of hands on experience.
Old 12-31-2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Well I did go into the mechanic's field and farming. I have owned my own shop for over 35 years. 4 techs and we are a very busy shop. I have owned my own 100 acre vineyard for over 25 years and the ranch is a very busy place also. Between the two places I have over half a million dollars in tools and equipment. I always try to use the right tools and equipment for the task at hand.

My family and I have built everything at the ranch.

The advice I gave is sound and backed up with over 40 years of hands on experience.
So, clearly, we both understand how mechanical stuff works (likely with some electrical crossover). Congrats on your success! Maybe I'd be interested in your wine ( I like Pinots and Cabs)?

That said, if we get back to the OP, it's about the longevity of a small Honda generator, not how much or how big our individual machinery collections go (you win). It was about how long a little Honda generator might run before catastrophic failure might occur?

I'm still interested in that info, even if the device in question has no place in your world.
Old 12-31-2016, 9:07 AM

Quote:
So, clearly, we both understand how mechanical stuff works (likely with some electrical crossover). Congrats on your success! Maybe I'd be interested in your wine ( I like Pinots and Cabs)?

That said, if we get back to the OP, it's about the longevity of a small Honda generator, not how much or how big our individual machinery collections go (you win). It was about how long a little Honda generator might run before catastrophic failure might occur?

I'm still interested in that info, even if the device in question has no place in your world.
I am using our small gen to charge a small bank of golf cart batteries. Its doing the job just great and I need only run it 4hrs per day. Our power use is very small. I have a larger honda 5k for running a well pump. We only have to fill our pressure tank once per day. Its take 3.5mins to fill the tank. Like I said our use is very small. We use shower/sink water to flush the toilet. I do not have any power bills short of gasoline. Life is good, we save a ton of money. I have 12 cords stacked.

No need to run an 70k 12 cylinder turbo diesel genset to charge 4 golf cart batteries. My 2 large panels power us all summer for almost 7 months. We rarely have to start the generator. I planned everything for micro-use. Most houses guzzle 10-100,000 gallons of water per month and 1,000's of kilowatts. We use a fraction of that. I use less than a kilowatt per day and less than 200 gallons of water per week.

The thread harpers will always chime in and give advice not knowing your situation. Our 2k gen is all we need. Had it lasted 1.5k hours I would have been happy. I planned for 1,000 and it lasted to 300. At 300hrs it costs 3.33/hr plus gas and oil to run. At 1,000 it cost 1/hr plus gas and oil. At 2k its .50c/hr plus gas and oil. Its all we need and I expected more from honda.

I will continue the test and the minority thread harpers will continue offering their opinions. Welcome to the net.

Last edited by uparmor; 12-31-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-31-2016, 9:26 AM

We have several 2000 and 3000 Hondas at my work that get fairly hard use and very little maintenance, pm every 6 months and they have been bulletproof so far. I've done the pm service on them after they sat for a long time and they always start. It's the main reason I bought a 2000 myself after losing power for 36 hours and losing everything in the fridge. It will only get emergency and camping use and you have to know your machines limitations and not overload them all the time. I use Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment (recommended by a motor and power plant instructor I had). 300 hours is very disappoointing to hear for sure, hopefully yours is not the norm, only time will tell.
Old 12-31-2016, 9:45 AM

I've had both systems and TBH prefer the small gas like OP for emergencies and temp and job site and the low-speed diesels for long-term fixed backup. Main difference is I needed 230-460 three phase to run the shop so needed the diesel genset for that. Still, lots to recommend on the little units for spot work.

I've got access to clear gas up here in OR so have gotten completely away from pump gas for gensets/power tools. Big difference, at least to what the ethanol gas in CA was doing to my equipment. I miss the red diesel but that's one price of moving away from ag. I tend to buy, maintain and hold and prefer stuff that lasts decades, not years or months.

I just did a fuel system tidy on a friend's old Honda 2K due to, yup, ethanol attack and, once tidied up, it runs like a champ. I think it dates back to the 80's. The compression release on another friend's unit failed so rather than take that older one apart, he told me to get rid of it so I gave it to a customer who has a ranch and likes to tinker. IME, those Honda's are pretty reliable but, like anything, they need maintenance and exercise.

OP, if you're going to run the wheels off it that's great use and if the system doesn't need it, just do the normal maintenance and when it fails, it fails. They system can do without it until you buy a replacement. Just budget for a replacement, figure a couple grand. If things go sideways, it can be there that day or the next so no biggie.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post
I've had both systems and TBH prefer the small gas like OP for emergencies and temp and job site and the low-speed diesels for long-term fixed backup. Main difference is I needed 230-460 three phase to run the shop so needed the diesel genset for that. Still, lots to recommend on the little units for spot work.

I've got access to clear gas up here in OR so have gotten completely away from pump gas for gensets/power tools. Big difference, at least to what the ethanol gas in CA was doing to my equipment. I miss the red diesel but that's one price of moving away from ag. I tend to buy, maintain and hold and prefer stuff that lasts decades, not years or months.

I just did a fuel system tidy on a friend's old Honda 2K due to, yup, ethanol attack and, once tidied up, it runs like a champ. I think it dates back to the 80's. The compression release on another friend's unit failed so rather than take that older one apart, he told me to get rid of it so I gave it to a customer who has a ranch and likes to tinker. IME, those Honda's are pretty reliable but, like anything, they need maintenance and exercise.

OP, if you're going to run the wheels off it that's great use and if the system doesn't need it, just do the normal maintenance and when it fails, it fails. They system can do without it until you buy a replacement. Just budget for a replacement, figure a couple grand. If things go sideways, it can be there that day or the next so no biggie.
Will do, and we have a 5k honda backup. It only runs a few mins per week to run well pump. But the 5k sucks gas if you run it for hours. Its a great genset with power to spare. It has electric start too...

I think if honda would have put a stronger spring on the valves I would not have an issue.

What would be the point to run weak valve springs? Less wear? I dont get it??? I looked for +P springs but no one makes them. I guess its not that big of an issue.

Up to 726 this am.....

Last edited by uparmor; 12-31-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-31-2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:

Buy once-cry once
The original poster did not address the amount of output, his complaint was that it did not due the job for which it was rated and failed after just a few hundred hours of use. Not continuous use mind you.
Old 12-31-2016, 4:24 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
Both shops I brought it to said 300hrs was a whole lot for this generator, and stated "it was a rec. use only 2 weekends per year generator." They didnt mention that low hour info when I bought it.
That's just absurd.
Old 12-31-2016, 5:58 PM

Yeah, units like that were standard stuff for us at the race track and were running lights and power tools for hours and days and weeks during the season and did camping duty otherwise. 300 hours was barely broken in

Heck I've got a similar engine on a Wacker 1550 out in the garage with probably a couple thousand hours on it and that's one of the most brutal applications an engine can work in. Just keep feeding it gas and change the oil once awhile. Still starts on the first pull. Of course the OP also has to deal with the generator part but IME those are really reliable.
Old 12-31-2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
That's just absurd.
Exactly what I thought, they got pissy with me when I scoffed at what they told me.

I said our airplane is 2k tbo and the engines work a lot harder than the genset does.
Old 12-31-2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post
Yeah, units like that were standard stuff for us at the race track and were running lights and power tools for hours and days and weeks during the season and did camping duty otherwise. 300 hours was barely broken in

Heck I've got a similar engine on a Wacker 1550 out in the garage with probably a couple thousand hours on it and that's one of the most brutal applications an engine can work in. Just keep feeding it gas and change the oil once awhile. Still starts on the first pull. Of course the OP also has to deal with the generator part but IME those are really reliable.
Any idea how many hours? Even a guess would help....
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Dunno. Kinda tough to take advice from someone who doesn't know the diff between a KV and a KW...
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Honda GX engines have a cast iron cyl. sleeve and are described as "commercial" duty by Honda. I have seen a few with hour meters showing 3000+ still going strong. I have several GX motors on various tools, some I bought used. None have hour meters but I do have a GX390 that is 12 years old it was on a big pressure washer that was used commercially.I have it running a DC battery charging setup (106 amp car alternator cobbled onto it) and it still has very good compression. Honda's GC motors are described by Honda as residential implying a lower duty cycle but I havent seen Honda's definition or more detailed info on what that actually means. I would assume the Eu series gensets have lower duty cycles than the bigger gensets from Honda? 300 hours is a very disapointing lifespan for a Honda..
Does the Eu 3000 have a GX motor?
Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 AM

I just checked, to get a commercial duty cycle engine (GX) from Honda, you need to step up to the Eu 3000.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:18 PM

I had a chance to buy a 3,000 genset with 12hrs during the fall. I just could not get there quick enough. The guy was asking 875. I almost crapped myself calling him. He said come over but I was at work. By the time I got off it was gone.

I have a 5,000 electric start gen as a well pump generator. I wonder how its rated?

One more thing.....

The new gens coming from Honda are made in ----> CHINA. Thats not information thats a warning label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Honda GX engines have a cast iron cyl. sleeve and are described as "commercial" duty by Honda. I have seen a few with hour meters showing 3000+ still going strong. I have several GX motors on various tools, some I bought used. None have hour meters but I do have a GX390 that is 12 years old it was on a big pressure washer that was used commercially.I have it running a DC battery charging setup (106 amp car alternator cobbled onto it) and it still has very good compression. Honda's GC motors are described by Honda as residential implying a lower duty cycle but I havent seen Honda's definition or more detailed info on what that actually means. I would assume the Eu series gensets have lower duty cycles than the bigger gensets from Honda? 300 hours is a very disapointing lifespan for a Honda..
Old 01-02-2017, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

We run GX's on our log splitter and fire pump, indestructable. I run a EU2000i just for remote power that can be thrown into the PU bed and taken where needed on the ranch, light duty.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2017, 8:27 AM

Well, well well, The eu2000 manual calls the engine a GX-100, my faith in the engine is going back up. Standing by for results of OP's torture test. I sure like the new competition to the Eu from Generac, and these reports that Honda service techs says the eu motor is only goid for 300 hours almost settled it for me...

I think this just might be case of lazy, ignorant techs....
Old 01-03-2017, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Tag
Old 01-03-2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Well, well well, The eu2000 manual calls the engine a GX-100, my faith in the engine is going back up. Standing by for results of OP's torture test. I sure like the new competition to the Eu from Generac, and these reports that Honda service techs says the eu motor is only goid for 300 hours almost settled it for me...

I think this just might be case of lazy, ignorant techs....
I saw that today. I also noticed a few gens have a gh or gch designation. I wonder what that means?

Despite what the label says it failed at 364 hours with a stuck open valve which required a repair to run again. Then it failed again 13hrs later with another stuck open valve. I think the shop didnt de-crapify the valve shank like they were supposed to have.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Techs saying 300h is a lot for that gen lead me to think they either don't have much faith in their product, or don't know much about what they say. If it's the latter case, I would be skeptical of their repair. What work exactly did they do? Did they actually clean the valve guides/seating? Did they see any evidence of where/what was making it stick? All valves or just one? Is the valve not seating properly for another reason and leaking?

What temperatures do you typically run it? Adequate ventilation/cooling? You mentioned 10W30 and Seafoam. Synthetic or conventional? Do you always run it with Seafoam?

For the load you're driving, and if the Honda's lifetime is typically what you've experienced, might be worth trying the cheap Harbor Freight 900w gen as the primary and trash it when it craps out. Keep a backup ready. 2-stroke so you'll need to mix though and might need an expansion fuel tank for extended run times.
Old 01-07-2017, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I have had mine for a few years now. I start it up once in a while to just to run it but havent had to use it.

Yesterday I tried starting it after 6-8 months and it wouldnt start. tried for 30 minutes.
Searched youtube troubleshooting and found this video. Took the carb apart and cleaned it, * at 5:55 min mark* the screw that holds the jet in place seemed a little clogged. wiped everything down and put it back together, started on the 2nd pull.

Old 01-07-2017, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
I have had mine for a few years now. I start it up once in a while to just to run it but havent had to use it.

Yesterday I tried starting it after 6-8 months and it wouldnt start. tried for 30 minutes.
Searched youtube troubleshooting and found this video. Took the carb apart and cleaned it, * at 5:55 min mark* the screw that holds the jet in place seemed a little clogged. wiped everything down and put it back together, started on the 2nd pull.

You do not want to burn that gas it will varnish the valve shanks. Unscrew the drain valve on bottom of carb and drain it. Then siphon gas from tank, do not turn gen upside down to drain.

Last edited by uparmor; 01-07-2017 at 8:30 AM..
Old 01-07-2017, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

burn what gas? I dont keep gas in it.

Whats good for long term storage? that sea foam stuff? or what?
Old 01-07-2017, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I leave this in the tank and start it once per month as I do with the 2cyl garden tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4...7238/203571144