Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-19-2017, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Bug out Vehicles Photo Gallery!

The vehicle that will get you to safety should the need and the opportunity arise. You can live out of it for days if need be, or indefinitely if you are particularly skilled at the art of procuring fuel. It will carry food, a reasonable amount of water, weapons, ammo, a change of clothes or two, etc., etc. This, of course, is a hypothetical. Any sane person working with more than one brain cell will understand that these are basically just off road vehicles that are at your disposal when and if needed and that the unlikely use of one would require some good timing and great execution. Obviously, the old adage that it's better to have and not need than to need and not have applies here. I understand that is unlikely to stop a select few who believe they have it all figured out from thread-jacking. Oops - too late. by knuckle draggers.

Show us what you have and tell us about it.

Here's what I have right now:

06 Tacoma Access cab V6 4x4
Icon suspension
Front and rear ARB locking diffs
On-board air/tank
Trail armor
And a bunch of other little stuff that doesn't really pertain to reaching safety.

Still to come:
Camper shell/sleeping pod/doghouse/TV room.
Fridge, solar and batteries.

This has been a pretty solid rig for me that can get pretty far out of the way. Not as capable as a Jeep, but arguably more reliable over the long run and definitely more versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trkrsz.jpg (27.1 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by Droppin Deuces; 07-30-2017 at 12:51 AM..
Old 07-19-2017, 6:47 PM

Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 with earthquake kit, med kit, and spare clothes. Earthquake kit has water, food, tools, etc. CB radio installed but I may replace it with a ham radio.

Vehicle itself has skid plates and rock sliders for the occasional off-road adventure.

Like the OP, I chose a Toyota truck for the reliability. It's also very capable off-road.

Last edited by Nacho_Eater; 07-19-2017 at 6:50 PM..
Old 07-19-2017, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

78 fj40

Also 96 landcruiser with solid front axle, armor, triple locked
Old 07-19-2017, 7:32 PM

Im thinking my best bet would be to get a Avalanche with a shovel and rack attached to the bed.
Old 07-19-2017, 7:51 PM

KTM 1190 ADVENTURE tkc80 knobbies, and 3 gallons accessory fuel tanks. in event of apocalypse, the orange lettering comes off

Last edited by 3RDGEARGRNDRR; 07-19-2017 at 7:53 PM..
Old 07-19-2017, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Calguns needs a "Like" function.
Old 07-19-2017, 9:28 PM

I would just jump in the old truck

02 F250 4X4 7.3, PC 6 ˝ lift, PC 37x12.50R-17's, Warn PP HD Winch, ZENA welder, Jotto Console, Scanner, Icom HAM radio, 91 Gal. Aux fuel cell, Diamondback HD bed cover, Warn Hubs, dual steering stab, Step2 Bed steps, AIS, 4" t/b exhaust with Aero turbine muffler, backup buddy lights, Mag-Hytec diff cover & tranny pan, SGII, 6.0 T Cooler, ELF7405 with oil By-Pass, IH bellowed ups, Gen 2 FRx, HPX, CCV Mod, SS brake lines, CAT ELC, ez down t-gate, Fumoto drain, Rev/Cargo LEDs, 4 pillar gauge with ISSPRO, DP Tuner, Rigid Industries light bar, various hand tools, air tools, and fluids. I also keep a full size spare in the bed.

By the time I load in the food, water, clothing, firearms, and ammo with a few other odds and ends, the bed is about full. I would not call it a bug out vehicle as it's basically my daily driver.

Last edited by Hairball; 07-22-2017 at 2:04 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
That's pretty sweet. Mind me asking what it would cost to recreate something like that? I'm pretty knowledgeable about cars but a novice re: trucks and interested in picking a used one up soon.
I want it for hauling a motorcycle and some jetskis, plus for the purpose of this thread.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 07-20-2017, 1:03 PM

Attachment 624068
96 Powerstroke . Chipped , Intercooled , Baby Swamps , Dana 60 front , manual transmission, 2.5 inches of lift 37 inch H1 take off bead locks with Pvc inserts Detroits front , Pack rat tool box inthe bed .Just hit 200k miles . And other than mod and maintenence repairs are very minimal .
I love this truck and will never get rid of it .

Last edited by dozer wright; 08-14-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-20-2017, 1:56 PM

What kind of obstacles are you guys expecting in a shtf situation?
Old 07-20-2017, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
That's pretty sweet. Mind me asking what it would cost to recreate something like that? I'm pretty knowledgeable about cars but a novice re: trucks and interested in picking a used one up soon.
I want it for hauling a motorcycle and some jetskis, plus for the purpose of this thread.
Thanks. You know, it's probably a lot more expensive now than it was back when it was done. I think there's a good $17k of mods into this truck, but so much of it isn't needed unless you're going to make a habit of finding yourself on really tight trails and risking body damage.
You could get along just fine with a sub $1000 lift(Toytec Bilstein 5100) and locking diffs. for getting you out of most predicaments and over the majority of obstacles.
As far as the cost of a truck - if you're looking at a Toyota, I wouldn't expect to get away for any less than $12k-$15k for a used 1st or 2nd gen Tacoma 4x4 with $100k+ mileage.
I really like the like 2.7 inline 4. It doesn't have the giddyup of the 6, but it carries itself just fine and is arguably the better engine for long range off road trips. So much is made of HP, but for an escape vehicle, capability, durability and range are the most important aspects in my opinion. I'm thinking with an overlanding type application. But there's no doubt the V6 can get out of it's own way with no trouble at all.
Old 07-20-2017, 2:12 PM

Thanks appreciate the info.
100k+ miles seems like a ton coming from the world of European luxury sports cars. Sure the engines will last but out of warranty high mileage purchases are somewhat risky.

Obviously I understand trucks to be much different, but can you give me an idea of what to look for and what to avoid? I'm mostly interested in reliable trucks that can tow the bike/jetskis I mentioned and handle some offroading if necessary. Saving money is always great, but I'm okay spending between $25-30k. Something rugged, but with a decent interior would be nice. Any suggestions in that range?

I realize it might be a lot to ask, so if you have a particular blog that covers this kind of information well I'm happy to read on my own. Searching myself yields too much conflicting information for me to discern, so anything experienced owners can share would be hugely appreciated.

If you or anyone else wanted to post a few specific ads (even if they're far away) just as examples of what is good or bad about those vehicles it would probably help a ton. I'm a very fast learner, just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again! PS: the color of your truck is sweeeet.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Old 07-20-2017, 2:32 PM
Calguns Addict

My only advice, because car publications are often biased towards those who pay them advertising bucks, is to visit forums specific to the model of vehicle you're searching for. There you will find threads on all of the problems owners are having and be able to judge what is an actual issue or not. The Tacoma, for as good as it is, has some gremlins just like any other truck. For me, the engine is the most important, so if it's known to be more or less bomb-proof(Tacoma 2.7L), I will lean towards that. But given your budget, the world is pretty much your oyster. There's a TON of good stuff out there in that price range.

Oh, and the blue is not my favorite, but it's definitely very photogenic!
Old 07-20-2017, 2:35 PM

Ok thanks. Yeah that advice is the same for cars - find the club forum & trust that.
If you or anyone else stumbles upon anything in the coming weeks please feel free to share - I'd appreciate the help!
Old 07-20-2017, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
Ok thanks. Yeah that advice is the same for cars - find the club forum & trust that.
If you or anyone else stumbles upon anything in the coming weeks please feel free to share - I'd appreciate the help!
You got it. A friend of mine is looking right now, so I'll keep an eye out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyXbones View Post
What kind of obstacles are you guys expecting in a shtf situation?
For me, personally, I'm out there a lot and have probably saved more in potential body repairs than the armor cost. I don't expect to be able to get that far with a vehicle in a SHTF situation. But however far it can get me beyond what a stock vehicle would is a good bonus. If I have to drive it way off the side of a trail and ditch it, then the farther the better. But I have camo netting for that, too
Old 07-20-2017, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

The H3 Hummer is a good choice for a bug out. It has a low locker and both 2w and 4 wheel real drive modes. Available in 5 or 8 cylinders for your mpg,,,
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 07-20-2017, 3:34 PM

But all our modern vehicles will be disabled if we have an EMP attack no matter how bad ***. Me 62 F100 original drivetrain rebuilt with points and condenser. Also doubles as my rat rod.
Old 07-20-2017, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

My Tundra is ready to roll. Most likely though I will be rocking my cruiser bike around the neighborhood. I'm bugging in.
Old 07-20-2017, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Jeep JK Moab.. lift, stuff, winch, fuel tanks, all the usual stuff.. needs a roof rack and a small off road trailer.
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 07-20-2017, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Bug out to where?
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 07-20-2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Show us what you have and tell us about it.

Here's what I have right now.

06 Tacoma Access cab V6 4x4
Icon suspension
Front and rear ARB locking diffs
On-board air/tank
Trail armor
And a bunch of other little stuff that doesn't really pertain to reaching safety.

Still to come:
Camper shell/sleeping pod/doghouse/TV room.
Fridge, solar and batteries.

This has been a pretty solid rig for me that can get pretty far out of the way. Not as capable as a Jeep, but arguably more reliable over the long run and definitely more versatile.
It'll do
Old 07-20-2017, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Bug out to where?
I have a plan or two or three. Don't you have plans?

But in general - As far as possible, then do the ol' "We walk from here."
Old 07-20-2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycharro View Post
But all our modern vehicles will be disabled if we have an EMP attack no matter how bad ***. Me 62 F100 original drivetrain rebuilt with points and condenser. Also doubles as my rat rod.
I always wondered if a emp would affect a vehicle. Maybe Im thinking of it wrong but how many videos of cars getting struck by lightning have I seen and the truck or car keeps driving .
Old 07-20-2017, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

A 5-ton festooned with about 273 filled sandbags.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

WITNESS!

Bugging out? Hell I am the bug out location.

I do have a plan to go if needed and the people that need to know already know all about it.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-20-2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Bug out to where?
Good question.

My vehicle is equipped to get me home in an emergency/natural disaster. If home is not an option, it's equipped to get me somewhere safe.

I try not to let the fuel tank get below half full. On the highway, a full tank will take me about 270 miles. Going off road will greatly reduce range, but in the event of traffic-jammed roads, this vehicle gives me the option of going off-road.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would think a 1975-80 Mercedes diesel would be a good call....

They will run on diesel, vegi oil and all sorts of stuff....

The question is where do you live....I am coastal and am better off with a baby jogger, loading that up and heading to a marina
Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...mp-threat.html

http://www.heritage.org/homeland-sec...ty-catastrophe
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Jeep JK Moab.. lift, stuff, winch, fuel tanks, all the usual stuff.. needs a roof rack and a small off road trailer.
^^^ Bad Bad Machine....
Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For the guys who keep supplies in the truck, fire extinguisher, ammo, MREs etc.

How do you keep things cool? I have a fire extinguisher and a few items that I fear will not make it in some of this 105 weather, inside 120 plus. Idea's suggestions?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I would think a 1975-80 Mercedes diesel would be a good call....

They will run on diesel, vegi oil and all sorts of stuff....

VW Rabbit Diesel pickup. And they get about a bazillion MPG.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Who made that rear bumper and do they make them for full size trucks. I don't need the bed cut design but the rear with a mounted spare would be nice.

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 07-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Covfefe Nation
CGN Contributor

Ours is a 2003 Sportsmobile - E250 extended body 5.4L

Sink
Stove
Refrigerator
Microwave
Furnace
Marine toilet
Outdoor shower
Awning
10g water tank
Propane
200w solar setup
2000w inverter
Camburg lift
33's
Two weeks of food
Seats six
Sleeps four

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...

Last edited by gcvt; 07-21-2017 at 9:19 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 1:09 PM

Need to know what kind of situation. Too many end of the world situations would make any truck or car useless. Try commuting in any major urban area to get the idea. My final fallback, time to move vehicle is a full-ridged, single-speed mountain bike with a single wheel trailer. Quite, efficient and basically go-anywhere.
Old 07-21-2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
I have a plan or two or three. Don't you have plans?

But in general - As far as possible, then do the ol' "We walk from here."
Bugging out without a place to go is just ensuring that you are going to die. Thinking you will be welcome anywhere will get you killed.

Remember your tactical bug out macho wagon needs to carry everything you will need to sustain life from that point on. Fact is, your life won't fit in your SUV or Toyota pickup.

I live in the mountains, there will be no welcome mat out for people that don't have their own resources. Everything I give you takes from my family.

Chances are you will just fall victim to all the other people on the road trying to get somewhere that doesn't exist anymore or is owned and protected by the people there now.
Old 07-21-2017, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Stay home but have a vehicle that will get you out when the time comes...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 07-21-2017, 1:33 PM

Old 07-21-2017, 1:37 PM

These threads are hilarious. Most likely there will be some kind of mass die off in which most of us will be a part of, no matter how prepared we are. It is a huge assumption that you are one of the "lucky" 2-3% of the world population that is left.

However it is kind of fun to buy cool gadgets and gear thinking it will make a difference.

Living in CA all my life I can tell you the one thing that scares me the most is out of control wildfires. If the government collapses I hope you have your own personal fire department because the whole west is iterally going to burn to the ground and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it except try and run away from the flames.
Old 07-21-2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
These threads are hilarious. Most likely there will be some kind of mass die off in which most of us will be a part of, no matter how prepared we are. It is a huge assumption that you are one of the "lucky" 2-3% of the world population that is left.

However it is kind of fun to buy cool gadgets and gear thinking it will make a difference.

Living in CA all my life I can tell you the one thing that scares me the most is out of control wildfires. If the government collapses I hope you have your own personal fire department because the whole west is iterally going to burn to the ground and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it except try and run away from the flames.
Been there, done that, got the T shirt.
Old 07-21-2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Ours is a 2003 Sportsmobile - E250 extended body 5.4L

Sink
Stove
Refrigerator
Microwave
Furnace
Marine toilet
Outdoor shower
10g water tank
Propane
200w solar setup
2000w inverter
Camburg lift
33's
Two weeks food
Seats six
Sleeps four

Attachment 624195

Attachment 624196
Nice ride. How to you deal with the steps behind the front axle? I have come down of a number of rocks and if it were not for my rock sliders, would have destroyed my running board.