Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-07-2011, 9:50 PM

Default Hunting Land Co-op, fractional ownership?

hey all,

i was wondering if any of you have experience either hunting on, or owning a part of, a hunting co-op?

what are the pros? what are the cons?

i have been flirting with the idea of buying into a land opportunity at some point in the future, ans was wondering if anyone would be able to offer advice.

how hard would it be to get 20-30 people together with $50k -$80k to go in on a few thousand acres of hunting/fishing land?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2011, 5:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwPx4 View Post
hey all,

i was wondering if any of you have experience either hunting on, or owning a part of, a hunting co-op?

what are the pros? what are the cons?

i have been flirting with the idea of buying into a land opportunity at some point in the future, ans was wondering if anyone would be able to offer advice.

how hard would it be to get 20-30 people together with $50k -$80k to go in on a few thousand acres of hunting/fishing land?

thanks in advance.
50 to 80 for a few thousand acres?? What third world country did you want to hunt? NO WHERE in this state will you get land for that price.
Old 11-08-2011, 5:57 AM
Veteran Member

Your price range is not realistic. I am part of a hunting club that is really a land owners assosiation. This was my first year as a member of the club. There are many members, but few that actually spen any amount of time hunting. The hunting pressure is more than what you would find in a remote wilderness area, but less than most public hunting ground. Just like every where else, most of the guys don't hunt far from the roads. If you spend the time and put in the effeort and hunt away from the roads the hunting is pretty good. The nice thing is that the road maintenance cost is shared by all the members bringing the individual cost down. The other nice thing is that it offers more acres of ground to hunt.
Old 11-08-2011, 6:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe if it was 20-30 people with 80k each the goal of a couple thousand acres is realistic.

Just remember: the more people involved, the more money involved, the more problems involved.
Old 11-08-2011, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

There are many duck clubs that work in this way.. a share can cost anything from about $45,000 to over $1,000,000 to buy into. Some clubs are set up that they are all in a "natural easment" meaning they can never develop the land or plant crops. Other are flooded rice, wheat, or a mix.. and still others are a hybrid of farmed land and natural.

Some places that are hybrid where the crops do not pay for the overhead like taxes, water, utilities, etc, members are assessed a certain amt of money per year. Other clubs that get sufficient income from their farming or other use don't charge assessments and will try to buy out members from time to time to reduce hunting pressure. There are clubs all over the state and country.. if you do your research, you may be able to find what you are looking for.
Old 11-08-2011, 9:35 AM

mo money mo problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffin View Post
Maybe if it was 20-30 people with 80k each the goal of a couple thousand acres is realistic.

Just remember: the more people involved, the more money involved, the more problems involved.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM

I hunt about 2k acres of private, and it feels crowded when there are more than 4 people hunting it. 20-30 would need more like 10k-15k acres or you will have some VERY crowded deer seasons.