Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor/Fake Can Review with VIDEO!

Here is what you have been waiting for. A review of the Muzzle Brakes, Flash Suppressors, and Fake Cans complete with video.

First the details. The test rifle is a LMT Defender 2000 lower receiver with LMT Waffle Stock, Bullet Button, and Bushmaster 10 round magazine. The upper is a LMT MRP CQB 5.56mm 16". We tested each device with six rounds of Winchester factory .223 ammo 55 grain FMJ. It was my friend Nathan and I and we basically just said what seemed better or worse.

Lets start in order of most pleasant to shoot down to least pleasant to shoot.

1. A2 Flash Hider

My friend and I both agree this is the best device for quietness and lack of a muzzle blast.

2. Spike's Tactical Fake Can

The thing about the fake can's is that the blast just goes forward so it isn't so bad on the ears and body. The benefit of the Spike's can is it is only $40. The downside is it doesn't look as cool and you don't have the options of extending it out more or less like the MFI. A good buy for the money on a standard M4gery.

3. MFI Fake Can

This is what I decided to leave on my LMT after I was done. What I like about the MFI Fake Can is the look is really ubertactical and you can adjust the length it sits out away from the muzzle. Down sides are the price and that the set screws will mar your barrel. I just have the four set screw on the adapter so it can mar it all you want, but when I put 90 rounds through my gun a week later, it easily came loose. It might be a good idea to invest in the plastic screws instead.

4. RRA Tactical Muzzle Brake

My friend and I agree this is better than the Military Muzzle Brake. You get quite a bit of smoke and gas coming out of the muzzle, but the blast is not as bad and the sound isn't too loud. Of the muzzle brake category, this takes first place and is moderately priced at $32.

5. AK Concepts DNTC Compensator

My friend wasn't horribly impressed with the DNTC. He said it was pretty loud and there was still a decent muzzle blast. At $65 it is kind of pricey as compared to the RRA Tactical Muzzle Brake. The only thing we didn't account for was accuracy and so you would hope this might give you a tighter group.

6. Stag Comp 5.56mm

I guess you get what you pay for. At only $12 it is a steal, but my buddy thought it was the worst and he was not impressed at all. The only reason this ranks above the Military Muzzle Brake is it is cheaper!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 01-24-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2007, 10:28 AM

I like the RRA tactical so far. Are you going to be testing Phantoms' and Vortex also?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

7. RRA Military Muzzle Brake

I already knew this one was going to be bad because I already had it on my LMT before and it was absolutely horrible. The blast just for the shooter was horrendous and my friend agreed from the side it was even worse. Although this will give you the closest look to a standard A2 Flash Hider, I do not consider it worth the headache. Literally.

This is what I have in stock, so this is what I tested. I also was kind of just interested in testing the non flash hiders as most guys are happy with their A2 Flash Hider and only decide to take it off for a gripless build.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 01-24-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I agree with the stag comp. That thing is bad, but I was being cheap so its my fault. Ever tried the YHM Muzzle Brake?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 AM
No, I am not a Moderator!

The STAG brake is both LOUD and throws one heck of a breeze...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM

how does the spikes can work? it threads on and covers up part of hte barrel so its the same length as thte 16" barrel?

will it work on a 9mmAR RRA barrel?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The Spike's Can just threads on to standard threads. And just covers the end of the barrel. I don't think it will work on the 9mm because it uses a different thread. I can see if they make a 9mm thread or not.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd like to know how long the Spikes fake can is also. Do you have a close up photo of it on your M4 clone? It's threaded onto the muzzle, but how does it install on the back of the can?

I'd like to install one on this:
Old 02-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms
The Spike's Can just threads on to standard threads. And just covers the end of the barrel. I don't think it will work on the 9mm because it uses a different thread. I can see if they make a 9mm thread or not.
thank you sire!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1
I'd like to know how long the Spikes fake can is also. Do you have a close up photo of it on your M4 clone? It's threaded onto the muzzle, but how does it install on the back of the can?

I'd like to install one on this:
Taken from spikes website

5 inches long, 1.25 in diameter and .408 hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthmt View Post
I used to take girls that im tryna get at for a drive through oakland to play a game called "spot the hooker". its a kind of "slug bug" but with hookers.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I ordered one, so as soon as I get it and mount it I will take pics. I am planning putting it on a 16" barrel with a spector length forearm on it.
Old 02-19-2007, 1:29 PM

also would be interested if spike makes a fake can for a 9mm upper
Old 02-19-2007, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Who's boy is that with the PINK cricket .22 in the background? Buy that boy a real gun.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 04-15-2007, 9:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
2. Spike's Tactical Fake Can

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...spikesfake.flv

The thing about the fake can's is that the blast just goes forward so it isn't so bad on the ears and body. The benefit of the Spike's can is it is only $40. The downside is it doesn't look as cool and you don't have the options of extending it out more or less like the MFI. A good buy for the money on a standard M4gery.

3. MFI Fake Can

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...nt=mfifake.flv

This is what I decided to leave on my LMT after I was done. What I like about the MFI Fake Can is the look is really ubertactical and you can adjust the length it sits out away from the muzzle. Down sides are the price and that the set screws will mar your barrel. I just have the four set screw on the adapter so it can mar it all you want, but when I put 90 rounds through my gun a week later, it easily came loose. It might be a good idea to invest in the plastic screws instead.
Ten,

I see you liked both the Fake Cans, yet only the Spike's, made it to your website for purchase? Are you holding out for poll results - before you start selling it? Or did you give up?

-M3
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Nice! Will you be testing the Troy Medieval Brake and the YHM Phantom Brake? I think they are some of the best looking brakes out there.
Old 04-16-2007, 5:12 AM
In Memoriam

Great videos thank you for posting them.

The first four just didn't seem to help at all with muzzle flip. It reminds me of the old Harley saying "IF it don't go chrome it." Putting those on your gun is the same thing. The others seemed to help reduce muzzle rise.

I'm just not the guy that puts form over function. For those of you that are that's cool.
Old 04-16-2007, 5:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

What I figured out was if the gun isn't pleasant to shoot, then I don't care about anything else like accuracy or reduced recoil. So when the blast and noise is so much that it actually is uncomfortable to shoot, I could care less about anything else.

Old 04-17-2007, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike452 View Post
Nice! Will you be testing the Troy Medieval Brake and the YHM Phantom Brake? I think they are some of the best looking brakes out there.
The Phantom from YHM is awesome looking and very functional. It really does reduce muzzle climb, BUT at the expense of being extremely loud. I'm getting rid of mine if you want it, way too loud to go shoot any significant number of rounds.