Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-03-2011, 9:44 PM

Default How to convert a Berdan primed case to a Boxer primed case. Swiss 7.5 X 55

I've seen a few post about asking about reloading berdan primed cases. You can buy berdan primers, but finding them is the problem. I've seen and read a few other post on how to convert a berdan primed case to accept boxer primers.
*NOTE*: These is not for everyone, if you do not feel safe or comfortable doing this, please buy boxer primed cases. I do this because I have the time.
BTW: I only use my converted cases to load 110gr frangible bullet with light load.

Swiss 7.5x55 cases (Ruag/surplus)
As you can see the firing pin mark is pretty much dead center.

I use a drill bit that is similar in size with my boxer primed flash hole.

I Drill it all the way through the case.

I then pick a drill bit 2 sizes up (sorry i forgot the size). On this procedure I go by feel. This process drills out the anvil, be careful not to go too deep or you will go all the way through, making the flash hole too big. I ruined about 5-7 cases out of 100, so not bad at all.

Originally Posted by zfields View Post
9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

Last edited by Low-Pressure; 11-05-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 9:44 PM

I use a ball bearing to push the primer pocket wall smaller.

I use a bolt that fits in the case. The stronger the bolt the better.

You can use a big vise or an hydraulic press to push the sides of the primer wall smaller. I do not have those so I use a big hammer

Here's what it looks like after 1 blow of the hammer. If you use the hammer method you might have to hit it once or twice until you achieve the desired size. I usually hit it once.
Quote:
If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.

Last edited by Low-Pressure; 11-03-2011 at 9:57 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 9:57 PM

Lube, size, trim and tumble......
Primer seated

Loaded 110gr of frangible bullets for killing paper zombies

Like I have stated, this is not for everyone. You can buy readily available boxer primed cases.
The reason I posted this is to help those who has rare berdan cases that they want to load and cannot afford to buy boxer primed cases.
Quote:

Last edited by Low-Pressure; 11-04-2011 at 7:33 AM..
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM

Nice write up. This is a different method than I have seen before and it looks simpler.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
Nice write up. This is a different method than I have seen before and it looks simpler.
Thank you. I've seen most of the other methods and I realized that I can use the used primer as my guide for drilling the primer hole. That eliminated the removal of the berdan primer (which itself is time consuming) and the flatening the anvil.
Quote:
Old 07-01-2012, 9:03 AM

I know it's been a while. I just wanted to post an update.
Since converting these cases I have shot my K-31 using these cases. The cases had been fired 3 times. First was being an original berdan primed Ruag, 2nd was after converting them (168gr FMJBT) and 3rd was from my last trip to the range (110gr frangible bullets).
Only issue I had was 1 failure to fire, I re-cocked the bolt pin and it fired on the second try. The primer pockets are still tight. I plan on re-doing the pockets if they get a little loose.
BTW:
I now only plan on shooting 110gr frangible bullets out of these cases. I have not ran into problems with the cases.
I since had some PPV cases which I will use for heavier bullets 150gr+.
Quote:
Old 07-01-2012, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks for posting. when i get into reloading i will def go back to this thread.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Looks pretty simple if you have a drill press and vice. What is the diameter of the ball bearing?

''If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.''
-Mark Twain

If the government is going to waste taxpayer money, the taxpayers can say what they want.
-Lead waster
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM

That is such a good idea. Thanks. Great job!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

How do you get the pocket sized right after you smack it with the ball/bolt/hammer, a primer pocket reamer?

I have some Berdan primers for the couple hundred GP11 cases that I have. I was going to get some more now that Power Valley has them for a good price but the idea of de-priming Boxer converted cases just sounds so much easier.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life!
Old 07-01-2012, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I just purchased boxer cases from Graff & Son at a reasonable price. Maybe I am just being lazy but it works for me.
Old 07-01-2012, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged, I have been wanting to reload some 7.62x39 cheetah ammo and is berdan prim.
Old 07-01-2012, 3:05 PM

I would image the pocket gets re-swagged afterwards.

Cool idea. I, too, would like to know the diameter of the ball bearing. It look like this would work to tighten up some 30 carbine primer pockets that have come loose.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboone View Post
Looks pretty simple if you have a drill press and vice. What is the diameter of the ball bearing?
The bearing is not perfectly round now, but the measurement I got is .44".
I'm quite sure if the bearing was a little smaller it would be a little easier to push the primer pockets in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
How do you get the pocket sized right after you smack it with the ball/bolt/hammer, a primer pocket reamer?

I have some Berdan primers for the couple hundred GP11 cases that I have. I was going to get some more now that Power Valley has them for a good price but the idea of de-priming Boxer converted cases just sounds so much easier.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life!
A primer pocket swager will give you a more uniform pocket openings. I use L.E. Wilson Chamfer/Deburring tool to open the pockets a little. I hardly need to do this, for some reason the pockets are just sized right. I wish I had a shop press, it will make the smacking a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I just purchased boxer cases from Graff & Son at a reasonable price. Maybe I am just being lazy but it works for me.
I started doing this when you cannot get any berdan primers. I've only converted around 100 cases. I have saved all my other Ruag cases for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo884 View Post
I would image the pocket gets re-swagged afterwards.

Cool idea. I, too, would like to know the diameter of the ball bearing. It look like this would work to tighten up some 30 carbine primer pockets that have come loose.
Swaging it will be best. The ball bearing measured at .44" but a little smaller one should work also. I'm debating about doing some 7.62x54 cases and use the frangible bullets I have.
Quote:

Last edited by Low-Pressure; 07-01-2012 at 10:15 PM..