Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-03-2011, 6:20 AM

Default Removing and replacing a Marlin 60 firing pin?

I want to remove the firing pin from the bolt of my Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle, but I can't find any specific illustrated instructions on exactly how to do it (not on Youtube, or elsewhere). There's plenty of detailed instructions about how to remove the rest of the innards, but nothing detailed on exactly how to remove the firing pin from the bolt. For example, if there is a rollpin that holds the firing pin in place, where is it and how exactly should it be removed?

Again, I don't need the instructions on how to disassemble the rest of the innards or remove the bolt itself--just how to remove and replace the firing pin from the bolt.

Many thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 6:36 AM
Banned

schematic:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11759

It's been years since I fiddled with one and I don't recall exactly but looking at the schematic it looks like just 1 pin near the rear of the bolt (the firing pin retaining pin) will release the firing pin from the bolt.

Be aware that there are 2 styles of firing pin. Old and new style. The old one looks a bit like a butter knife in profile, the new one looks like a really poorly drawn Pi symbol in a way.
Old 11-03-2011, 6:48 AM

Thanks, r3dn3ck. Any idea which way the pin should be punched out--from the right or from the left side of the bolt?
Old 11-03-2011, 7:20 AM

compulsivegunbuyer: Thanks, very helpful. Maybe it's obvious when you look at the bolt, but from which side do you tap the pin out from, the right or the left side of the bolt?
Old 11-03-2011, 7:29 AM

The right side. It it the side facing the ejection port when the bolt is installed. It is hard to free. You may have to use a taper punch to get it started. Heating helps. When you put it back together, warm up the bolt, and put the pin in the freezer. This makes it much easier to assemble.
Old 11-03-2011, 7:58 AM

compulsivegunbuyer: Awesome, thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 3:03 PM

when you order the firing pin you should pick up a new extractor as well.. 2000 rounds after i replaced the firing pin my extractor decided it was done..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 11-04-2011, 7:23 PM

eqlzr, on the chance you are ordering a new firing pin know that there appear to be three different firing pins for the 60. Numrich shows two different ones and MidwayUSA shows a third. I'm not sure if any of them are interchangeable. I ordered mine from Marlin and told them the year of my 60 and they sent me the wrong one.
I didn't know that neat trick of heating up the bolt to remove the pin but my came right out with a punch and block of wood.

Last edited by troutbum54; 11-04-2011 at 7:26 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 7:32 PM

I would just like to update things in this thread. I called Marlin Customer Service and told them that my new Marlin Model 60, actually purchased about a year or so ago but not fired for the first time until a couple weeks ago, did not come with a firing pin at all. I asked them to send me one.

The firing pin arrived after 4-5 days (they said it could take up to 2 weeks), and it turned out to be the current one with the oval shaped hole in it (not the older one with the slot in the side that's shown in the schematic in the User Manual).

I didn't have a pin punch so I tried to jury rig a pin punch out of a sort of properly sized allen wrench. After several minutes of trying to drive the pin out, I gave up. It was too hard to squarely hit the bent end of the allen wrench with the small household hammer I was using.

So, on the way home from work today I stopped and picked up a 3/32 inch pin punch from OSH Hardware. Actually, they had a whole punch set with about 6 or 7 punches for not much more than the cost of one punch, so I got the set.

I set the Marlin 60 bolt onto a steel jeweler's disc cutter I have with the pin directly over one of the smaller holes in the disc cutter, placed the pin punch on top of the pin, and gave it a few smart raps. Soon, the pin started to project out from the other side of the bolt and eventually easily could be removed far enough to place the new firing pin in the slot in the bolt.

Note: When driving the pin out, you have to do as the gentleman said above and drive it out from the side of the bolt that faces the ejection port. Also, when the pin comes out, the little cylindrical roller around the pin will fall out so don't lose that piece. It has to be placed back carefully on the pin when replacing the pin in the bolt and before driving it back home from the non-port side of the bolt. I didn't heat the bolt, nor did I place the pin in the freezer as advised, because I found that it was not necessary.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get positive firing of the Model 60 now that it actually has a firing pin in the bolt.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Last edited by eqlzr; 11-10-2011 at 7:35 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 9:54 AM

P.S. It works fine now.
Old 11-11-2011, 1:40 PM

Wow!, no firing pin?. Somebody was definitely asleep that day. I got a Dell laptop with no hard drive so it's believable. Kudos for the DIY.
Old 11-11-2011, 4:35 PM

Thanks Jagacida. Sorry about your laptop. Hopefully it got well again.

I loaded up the poly buttstock on my model 60 today with some spare ammo, a Cricket piezo lighter, and a Victorinox Swiss Army knife that I got at a garage sale. The End of the World can start now.