Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Turners rant

Went into Turners this AM to place an order for a Colt. All went well but I have to rant at some of you Turners customers.

If you are an old retired guy who escaped the honey do list with a trip to Turners. Bless you and I hope you live a long and healthy life. But...

Wander the store, talk with others have a good time but stay the heck away from the counter people. Those of us in line who are still working don't have the time for you to tell the counter guy what you paid for a Colt back in 1966. Nor do we care that it pulled to the right.

There were two retired guys in Turners this AM. One who was waiting in line but letting everyone go in front of him. He was having a good time talking to folks about what kinda gun they were interested in. What they were gonna do with it. Etc. He got everyone in line talking to him. He had a great gun discussion going while we waited. He was funny in that whatever gun anyone was there for got the same response. "oh, those are nice."

The other Retiree, we'll call him the SOB. Caught one of the two counter guys and rode him like a stolen horse. SOB had to touch every gun. Tell the counter
guy. What was wrong with it and how he only paid $12.00 for the one he already has of that make and model.

Dear retirees, one day I too hope to flee the house and go putter around the gunstore. When I do I promise not to drive the counterman to thoughts of
suicide and the customers in line into a lynch mob by being like the SOB.

I'm gonna be the guy in line that let's you in front of me. Remember, I'll be on a hall pass from she who must be obeyed and I just want to talk guns. All I ask in return is that you tell me what kind of gun you are after and what you are going to do with it. That way I can remember when I could still see to shoot and still had buddies to go to the range with. "Oh, those are nice..."

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's

Last edited by cannon; 10-31-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Gawl dern young whippersnapper, leave the old guys alone, dagnabit

PS-Thanks for not doing the normal Turner's rant!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM

i see that the turner experience is not just limited to my area. Unfortunately my experience is similar except it wasn't an retiree...

Had some young Asian dad with daughter in tow touching every gun imaginable, asking questions away, while there were 10-15 people waiting. In the end his license didn't match his proof so he was SOL, but completely wasted 1 hour from my lunch break. Guess it can't be helped.

Old 10-31-2011, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

I am 62 (still working) but if I do THAT(2nd guy) ---while at Turners--- (when I go in to buy
the new Colt)-- you have permission to shoot me! Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 10-31-2011, 3:42 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
I am 62 (still working) but if I do THAT(2nd guy) ---while at Turners--- (when I go in to buy
the new Colt)-- you have permission to shoot me! Pete
How about we agree that if we turn into guy #2 that a swift kick in the butt is allowed and encouraged?

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's
Old 10-31-2011, 4:25 PM

One of the worst thing about any gun store is the people who go there just to feel like big shots and talk the ear off of the workers like they are seeking their approval.
Old 11-03-2011, 9:24 AM

My experience is same at Turners. One thing they can try to improve is better prioritization between paying customer and lookie loos.

Here I am, a paying customer, trying to pickup a gun, but the paperwork needs manager approval. Manager is talking to a guy that's asking all sorts of questions which he can get from Internet, like where is best place to shoot, even down to the step by step road directions, let me look at that rifle..., how does this shoot, etc. I am just waiting for the manager to look over the paperwork so I can pickup my gun and go home.... goes on and on... Then the guy walks out without buying anything, but a paying customer is stuck waiting for manager approval... you get the picture...
Old 11-03-2011, 9:36 AM

I agree that it can be annoying, and some cases are worse that others, but there is a fine line. I think its important for Turners to accommodate people with questions or people just shopping because without that level of customer service, you end up with snarky, unhelpful reps who are only looking for quick sales and don't genuinely care about every customer who comes in. I think having to wait a few minutes is worth it to get the kind of overall customer experience that you generally get at Turners.

If the reps are just talking casually, that's one thing, but servicing a customer is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Bay Basser View Post
...I'm safe and they smell like snuggle bear now.
Old 11-03-2011, 9:57 AM

While that is annoying, I don't think the solution is to train the salespeople to screen buyers and hurry the process along. A lot of people interested in their first gun don't know thing 1 about firearms, and taking the time to speak to them in a personal, friendly manner is important in making them comfortable about a serious purchasing decision. Gun stores are one of the few places I can think of where that personal touch really still exists.

I do agree that people there for pickups should get to queue jump, though, and most places I've been (including Turners WesCo) are good about that.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Funny, I had one of those last week. I didn’t mind or anything but once I was ready to leave he kept going and going. LOL. And it was all about how much he paid way back when for god knows what…When I asked, “so what are you picking up” he said, “Oh no, I’m just here browsing, I don’t buy guns anymore.” I wanted to chuckle, but got irritated because he was taking my counter time away. Ha

I’ll have to agree with above, I went to go pick up my shotgun yesterday and there was a guy asking about this & that, but clearly wasn’t going to buy anything. I kept giving the salesman “the look”, like common really; he shot back the “I know, I know” nod. I just continued to wait patiently until he gave the “I’ll be back on the weekend”. While I wasn’t in a hurry this time, it could be very annoying when you are. I'll give it to the salesmen though, I wouldn't have been so patient; good thing I'm not in the customer service/sales.

Before mods, and other goodies...