Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Default P2K range question...

Talking to a friend last night and he was at P2K in El Cajon and said they would stop the string of fire and inspect everyone's firearms.

He gave no reason why but he stated every 15 to 20 minutes they would call cease fire have everyone lay their firearms on the line and back away.

The staff would then walk the line inspecting, no touching or checking #'s but just looking. This was done only to the firearms on the line.

Any clue if this normal or why? OK, the why I can figure out (initially for safety) but more than once?

Michael
Old 10-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Short answer - Their range, their rules.
Long answer - Liabilities and so people on the 100yd range can change out their targets/fix stuff because they dont have proper protection splitting the ranges
Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Was this at line breaks so people could go out and swap targets afterwords? If so, they were probably doing chamber checks to make sure everything was unloaded and safe.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
then there's classified.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: You know that line of dare-devils going 70 in the fast lane? I'm behind them, gorram it!
Smile

Longer answer, to the left of the pistol /25 meter side is the rifle/100 meter side. Could be yards? Anyway, until full ballistic protection separates one side from the other they have to call the range cold to let the rifle guys walk all the way down to their targets without the possibility of getting shot by somebody on the pistol side.

Lots of rifles on the pistol side and plenty of interesting holes in inappropriate places.

Besides,it gives you time to grab a coke and reload some magazines. Also do a little window shopping in the pro shop.

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

was just there they are just chexking to make sure your firearms are un loaded then they sweep the brass out of the fireing ling so you dont slip my only prooblem with the cease fire is you pay by the hour but lose about 15 mins of shooting due to the cease fire other than that it is the nicest range ive been to in a while havent been muzzle swepted once lol
Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 PM

It's normal for their employees to check firearms during cease fire that's why they want everyone to keep firearms action open and it's not every 20 minutes. It just feels like 20 minutes when you're having fun putting holes on paper. Next time have you're buddy look at the start and stop time and you'll see it's not 20 minutes. P2K is one of the more relax but safe indoor shooting range I know. They got some good employees that work there.
Old 10-30-2011, 1:58 PM

Thats not too bad when your paying $14 for the first hour of shooting, unless your a member then it's only $10 for the first hour.
Old 10-30-2011, 6:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Last time I was there the people using the 25 yard range had to vacate the area. No big deal to me. I just put my pistol in the box & went & had a break.

The 25yd range area is 100% visible from the lounge/shop area if anybody's worried about stuff growing legs.

I enjoyed myself there. Nice facility & good people working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 10-30-2011, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

It's not much hassle, I just look at it as a chance to take the clamp off my head and take a little break, and I do think it makes for a safer situation.
One of the reasons I drive a bit of a way to go there then closer places to me.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-30-2011, 7:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

14 per hour? Holy crap. They better supply the beer after you shoot.

Is this an indoor or outdoor range?

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 10-30-2011, 7:10 PM

Yeah, its about 45min to an hour, it can be a pain in the butt if your time is limited.
About the workers there, id say most are cool, except once the manager piased me off, my AR's bb came out and I needed a long, flat screwdriver, mine was short and fat, so I went to them asking to borrow one, and guess what, the guy wanted me to buy a 22 dllr set!
Luckily I borrowed something from another shooter...
Old 10-30-2011, 8:31 PM

Double post. This is also discussed in the centerfire rifle thread.

Last edited by pc_load_letter; 10-30-2011 at 8:34 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 2:05 PM

Checking for hot during a linebreak is a nice thing to do.

I got used to this when shooting at the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club (damn I miss that place).

The number of holes in odd places showed me the value of doing this when you need to run out and check your targets.

They also chastised people who handled firearms at the firing line while people were downrange dealing with targets. Only the occasional police officer bridled at this because "I'm a cop, I know how to handle a gun safely". Still got a chewing out for touching a gun on the line (and he actually did have a loaded mag in the gun at the time, though not one in battery... *****).
Old 10-31-2011, 9:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
14 per hour? Holy crap. They better supply the beer after you shoot.

Is this an indoor or outdoor range?
Indoor, but... The only rule re ammo. "No .50BMG and no armor piercing."
If all you can find for your Mosin is Wolf or 147gr Light Ball, this is the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Only the occasional police officer bridled at this because "I'm a cop, I know how to handle a gun safely". Still got a chewing out for touching a gun on the line (and he actually did have a loaded mag in the gun at the time, though not one in battery... *****).
He's the only one professional enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.