Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-18-2012, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Around $50 to cut, thread and open up the port. It would have been more if I didn't strip the upper myself (+$45) or if I didn't live so close to ar15barrels (+shipping costs).
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
I don't know how to help you - the fact that it functions with the "CAR" lower is worth something. perhaps experiment (if you can) with different buffer weights.
the barrel should have the gas port already enlarged
Thanks, that's my next step, I'll try switching the buffers between the two carbine stock assemblies, they're both commercial. Do you know if commercial buffer tubes take the same buffers as the mil-spec buffer tubes? I realize they differ in outer diameter. I don't see the carbine buffers themselves marked as commercial or milspec, so i'm guessing it will fit either.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Just open the gas port.

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

NRA Member
CGF Member
AKA Richard Cramden
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReyth View Post
Thanks, that's my next step, I'll try switching the buffers between the two carbine stock assemblies, they're both commercial. Do you know if commercial buffer tubes take the same buffers as the mil-spec buffer tubes? I realize they differ in outer diameter. I don't see the carbine buffers themselves marked as commercial or milspec, so i'm guessing it will fit either.
I tried interchanging buffers and got better results. I'm going to read up and try working with some different ones.
Old 07-19-2012, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I tried interchanging buffers and got better results. I'm going to read up and try working with some different ones.
right on! sounds like you're on the right track.

I know my spikes ST2 (which is I think a little heavier than an h2 buffer) has provided me with flawless performance over the past couple years and (tens of) thousands of rounds.
I use a semi-auto BCG as well... so if you use a heavier FA BCG then you could probably get away with an H1 or H2. try a friend's and see what happens! good luck

you don't rise to the occasion,
you just fall back on your level of training.
Old 07-20-2012, 5:24 PM

The patient:

*Del-Ton Dissipator A3 Upper Assembly, 5.56 1in9 16" Rifle length Heavy contour barrel Chrom Moly
*JD Machine lower receiver(has CalGuns logo) with DoubleStar LPK
*ATI 6-Position Commercial buffer tube kit, replaced buffer with Spikes Tactical ST-T2
*MagPul STR stock with ASAP ring and MS2 sling
*MagPul MOE rifle length foreend with sling loop

Last edited by WReyth; 07-20-2012 at 5:42 PM.. Reason: forgot details, sorry!
Old 07-20-2012, 5:27 PM

Quote:
The patient:

I know a pic is worth a thousand words, but where is the details?
Old 07-24-2012, 8:27 PM

Old 07-28-2012, 9:08 PM

For everyone who likes to talk about how unreliable the AR platform is (in general) and the rifle-gas-on-16"-bbl setup (specifically), I finally had my first AR failure the other day.

Now realize, I've fired thousands of rounds through different ARs in the past, and I rarely clean my rifles (when I do, it's like "boresnake and scrape the crud out of the BCG and I'm done"). My only problems had to do with a faulty 10/20 Pmag.

So irony of ironies, guess what fails? No, it's not my gas block, no it's not cycling problems due to my "unreliable" rifle gassed 16" bbl.....it's my LMT bolt. xD

Had brass or copper shavings of some sort build up in the ejector channel, gummed up the ejector. Brass wouldn't fling out of the bolt, it'd just cant sideways, and get jammed into the front of the ejection port with the next round halfway up into the chamber.

I just found it amusing that my "unreliable" setup's only problem thus far came from a failure in the "utterly foolproof" LMT bolt.
Old 07-29-2012, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
For everyone who likes to talk about how unreliable the AR platform is (in general) and the rifle-gas-on-16"-bbl setup (specifically), I finally had my first AR failure the other day.

Now realize, I've fired thousands of rounds through different ARs in the past, and I rarely clean my rifles (when I do, it's like "boresnake and scrape the crud out of the BCG and I'm done"). My only problems had to do with a faulty 10/20 Pmag.

So irony of ironies, guess what fails? No, it's not my gas block, no it's not cycling problems due to my "unreliable" rifle gassed 16" bbl.....it's my LMT bolt. xD

Had brass or copper shavings of some sort build up in the ejector channel, gummed up the ejector. Brass wouldn't fling out of the bolt, it'd just cant sideways, and get jammed into the front of the ejection port with the next round halfway up into the chamber.

I just found it amusing that my "unreliable" setup's only problem thus far came from a failure in the "utterly foolproof" LMT bolt.
Even the best can fail under the right/wrong conditions!

I once had a failure to fire and in the heat of the tap rack bang moment I didn't watch where the round went to inspect it for a primer strike or what ever happened - no malfunctions since! I really wanted to see what happened to that bad round

before I built this rifle, and after reading all the internet talk about how unreliable the platform was I fully expected to have to work through difficulties. After a collective 22 days of tactical courses with it, + countless outings shooting everything from wolf, to reloads, to blanks, to ss109; I have been pleasantly surprised at how reliable my go-to rifle has been. It's not some $2400 LaRue, it doesn't have an MPI bolt, no anti-walk pins, just good ol' milspect DPMS awesomeness.
wait... I take that back - I did have to change out the trigger... after about a year mine had a sort of gritty feel to it which may have been a result of my attempted polishing work... even still, not bad for 10s of thousands of rounds!

Wreyth's troubles give us a good base idea about what sort of things can go wrong in ANY rifle (regardless of gas systems, just look at technical threads in the arfcom forums)
I am hopeful that the proper buffer weight will alleviate the issue

if not, I would love to get some expert opinion and if the problem can't be easily remedied - I'd be happy to get Wreyth something he can work with

Old 07-29-2012, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone else bu ADDAX make a stainless 16" dissipator barrel? I'm thinking of starting a new build that will essentially be a MK 12 Mod 0 SPR dissipator. ADDAX appears to be out of stock for now, shipping status on their barrels is listed as "expected to ship within 120 days". I'd love to find another medium to heavy profile 16 dissy barrel in either stainless or melonited chromoly. I suppose if all else fails, I can just get a DPMS MK 12 barrel and have it cut down along with getting the gas port opened up.
Old 08-23-2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeeboi View Post
Around $50 to cut, thread and open up the port. It would have been more if I didn't strip the upper myself (+$45) or if I didn't live so close to ar15barrels (+shipping costs).
Do you have contact info for them? Their site has a service order form but no email address or phone.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

just a very short video of some fun at the "range"
This was a little outing before work because a friend really wanted to test out her brand new AR she built and we had about 20 minutes to shoot.

I just love the low recoiling dissy gas system

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Smile

If the unreliable rifle length gas system gets me into trouble, I will just finish up with the bumper
Old 09-16-2012, 1:04 PM

Pretty certain found the source of the undergas problem. Upon removing the handguards, there is a lot of residue near where the front sight post connects to the gas tube:

I called Del-Ton and arranged to have it exchanged.

A ton of thanks to Chris at Addax Tactical for lending his knowlege and advice to getting to the heart of issue. He followed the posts here and offered his help. When it was determined that the problem couldn't be solved by enlargng the gas port, he spent some time on the phone helping me figure out what the options were.
Old 09-19-2012, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

OK, here's my Dizzy

Old 09-28-2012, 5:09 PM

crappy cell phone pic but I went featureless today...
Old 10-31-2012, 5:49 AM

After a month on back order, my replacement upper arrives tomorrow. I'm glad Midway and Del-Ton stood behind it and were good about estimating when it would be available.

I still have the heavy buffer, should I start with the standard weight first and see how it performs?
Old 10-31-2012, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
After a month on back order, my replacement upper arrives tomorrow. I'm glad Midway and Del-Ton stood behind it and were good about estimating when it would be available.

I still have the heavy buffer, should I start with the standard weight first and see how it performs?
if you have both just bring them both to the range, they are easy enough to swap out without any tools needed.
the heavier weight buffer will slow the action down some - it will be noticeable

that's a long wait! have fun tomorrow

OH. and because I recently got a contour camera:
DISSY IN ACTION!

during FoF training operations with the fortress project

Last edited by FatalKitty; 10-31-2012 at 9:52 AM..
Old 10-31-2012, 9:52 AM
Off-roster
CGN Contributor

Man, that Midway deal on a complete DTI dissipator upper is hard to resist! Complete upper for less than $400?! You guys are killing me with these nice pictures.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljon View Post
Man, that Midway deal on a complete DTI dissipator upper is hard to resist! Complete upper for less than $400?! You guys are killing me with these nice pictures.
Yeah, the kit is only $70 more than the upper by itself, and they have them in stock. I was tempted to change the order and keep the LPK and stock assembly in reserve. Knowing myself though, I would be out next week to buy the parts for another build.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Can someone help me out? The Dissi looks cool, but I can't figure out what it's "for". The OP mentions that it's not unreliable (anymore), but not exactly what it's good at. Why a dissi instead of a 14.5"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 10-31-2012, 1:42 PM
Off-roster
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
Can someone help me out? The Dissi looks cool, but I can't figure out what it's "for". The OP mentions that it's not unreliable (anymore), but not exactly what it's good at. Why a dissi instead of a 14.5"?
I believe it is the longer sight radius. Some people run the mid-length gas system under the hand guard for reliability reasons, others run the actual rifle length gas system and front sight. Softer recoil is another reason, if you go with the longer gas system 16" system.
Old 10-31-2012, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
the ORIGINAL intent during vietnam era was to cut the 20" M16 barrels down for special forces and mounted troops. This was before the carbine version

currently, it doesn't serve much of a purpose.

a longer sight radius can be accomplished with a longer railed upper
recoil could be adjusted many ways

however - it DOES have a longer sight radius with near bulletproof fixed front sight post
and it DOES offer a longer gas system that makes for a noticeably softer shooting carbine

so there are two things that it is really good at.

Also, a lot of people might want a carbine without getting a new barrel - they can cut their barrel down, and open up the gas port... bam, ad hoc carbine.

a lot of people don't realize that the carbine length gas system was intended for a 14.5" bbl. They often are used on 16" barrels much the accelorated wear of all the internal components. this is why the midlength system is used.

ALSO because it's sort of a picture thread and I probably shoot my dissy more than everyone here combined :

captured by a contour during failure drills

and ALSO because it's sort of a video thread and I shoot wayyyyyy too much, here ya go:

Last edited by FatalKitty; 11-05-2012 at 3:07 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Finally got my Dissapator from PSA after about a month wait... Went with the Stripped premium version when it was on sale... glad also the stripped version has no PSA logo on it... =P It came properly packaged in a foam padded box so no issues or damage getting to me.

From just intial inspection without running it yet, I am happy with the quality. Slaps on to my lower with no slop and isnt overly tight also. Fit and Finish looks good and no blemishes on the upper to be seen and andozing seems to match my spikes lower pretty well. Came with marked and infilled Tmarks also.

Here is a pic with it attached to my lower...

Still need some more things to finish up this dissy and hope to run it soon:

- BCG
- Charging handle
- Rear Back up Sight
- Magpul Rifle handguard
- Stock, might replace the stock with CTR to make it as light as possible.

Last edited by jpm804; 11-17-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 3:32 PM

Old 11-17-2012, 5:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Heres mine so far....

Waitin on the upper :/

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM

Here's my new dissy. Its an addax upper and billet lower. Broke it in last weekend. Shot flawless. I'm gonna do a review on it. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather allows. Guns a little dirty in the pics. Sparc is sold. Waiting for my new t-1 to arrive

Next to my new .308

I do custom automotive fabrication exhausts, rollcages, air ride, off road suspension and general welding. Pm me for details. great pricing and I'm willing to trade for firearms, optics, and ar or ak parts

Last edited by glorified_welder; 11-18-2012 at 3:39 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice rifles and pimpin' sheets too.
Old 11-19-2012, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm804 View Post
Finally got my Dissapator from PSA after about a month wait... Went with the Stripped premium version when it was on sale... glad also the stripped version has no PSA logo on it... =P It came properly packaged in a foam padded box so no issues or damage getting to me.

From just intial inspection without running it yet, I am happy with the quality. Slaps on to my lower with no slop and isnt overly tight also. Fit and Finish looks good and no blemishes on the upper to be seen and andozing seems to match my spikes lower pretty well. Came with marked and infilled Tmarks also.

[IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/jpm804/Pistols%20and%20Rifles/DPP_0492.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/jpm804/Pistols%20and%20Rifles/DPP_0493.jpg[IMG]

Here is a pic with it attached to my lower...

Still need some more things to finish up this dissy and hope to run it soon:

- BCG
- Charging handle
- Rear Back up Sight
- Magpul Rifle handguard
- Stock, might replace the stock with CTR to make it as light as possible.

that that the rubberized magpul pistol grip? How do you like it? is it sticky? I haven't been able to hold one but want to get it for my next build

Old 11-19-2012, 9:05 AM
Off-roster
CGN Contributor

Quote:
that that the rubberized magpul pistol grip? How do you like it? is it sticky? I haven't been able to hold one but want to get it for my next build
I had the MOE+ grip with the rubber overmold. It was nice until I left it in the heat and became sticky like melted rubber. Ended up giving it away to another Calgunner.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_welder View Post
Here's my new dissy. Its an addax upper and billet lower. Broke it in last weekend. Shot flawless. I'm gonna do a review on it. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather allows. Guns a little dirty in the pics. Sparc is sold. Waiting for my new t-1 to arrive

Wow, that handguard just goes and goes and goes like it's never going to end...what is it, 16"?
Old 11-21-2012, 7:49 AM

Quote:
a longer sight radius can be accomplished with a longer railed upper
I met a fellow CalGunner for drills at Sac Valley a couple of months ago who had this setup. If I were more practical, I probably would have done that instead, maybe I will if I get the bug for another build.

Meanwhile, I finally got a chance to test fire the new upper. Went through about a dozen magazines and had one FTF and didn't lock back after last round twice. A lot better that the first one, and it doesn't have the leak marks around the gas tube, but I was running the Spikes H2 buffer and heavily lubed. So, I'm going to see about enlarging the port again.
Old 11-21-2012, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18bturboek9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_welder View Post

Next to my new .308

Why do either of you think that those are dissipators?
Old 11-21-2012, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Haha, I was thinking the same! I thought a dissy had a front sight post. Advantage being longer sight radius...
Old 11-21-2012, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
The rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel might be part of it....
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm really starting to love how people who add nothing to what are supposed to be helpful threads want to come into them and argue semantics. It is to my understanding having a rifle length gas system is part of being a dissapator. Maybe since you have enough time to sit around and decide what should and shouldnt be classified as a dissapator you also most have enough time to email all the manufacturers and let them know they too are ill informed. Since you're being so helpful. Nowadays their are more benefits to a dissapator than just a longer sight radius. I welcome anyone to stop by the range and shoot mine to compare. I really could care less what your opinion is but maybe, just maybe it would stop some of you guys from trolling around trying to cloud the waters. This is post is not directed towards fjmbt or randall or any of the guys who regularly post with helpful and insightful comments
I do custom automotive fabrication exhausts, rollcages, air ride, off road suspension and general welding. Pm me for details. great pricing and I'm willing to trade for firearms, optics, and ar or ak parts
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I like rubber feel of the grip when I am shooting without gloves...and for the price (seen some places selling it for $15) it was not expensive to try.

I had never thought of it possibly melting if left in the heat but hopefully mine doesnt do that also over time.
Old 11-21-2012, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
The rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel might be part of it....
Yes, it is part of it.

ETA: To clarify, this has been hashed out in this very thread. A dissipator is a rifle that has a USGI-style FSB affixed in the rifle position, whether or not it is actually used as a gas tap. Neither of those rifles have USGI-style FSBs. Neither of them are dissipators. There is nothing WRONG with those rifles, it's just that they're not dissipators. They are ARs with 16" rifle-gassed barrels. I know it's "cool" to categorize yourself into a certain club but those rifles do not belong in the dissipator club. It would be like me going onto a turkey-burger forum and posting a hamburger, and then accusing everybody else of simply being hateful and overly-semantic

Last edited by tuna quesadilla; 11-21-2012 at 1:26 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly if people want to debate what makes a "real" "dissipator" we can...

All I really want this thread to do is be a FRIENDLY place for people to share their passion for something that most people are going to look at and go "WHAT THE ****" with confusion and excitement.
if that means you have a carbine bushmaster dissy or some rifle gassed abomination... awesome... post 'em all up and lets enjoy the eye candy of everything out there.

<3