Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-04-2012, 6:46 PM

theres my dis-patater..

still need to put the rear sight together which means i need to clean off my bench so i think thats going to wait till the weekend..
also need to figure out what i did with my dork wrench and borrow someones go/nogo..
gas tube is in but not pinned (pending torqueing of barrel nut) im still thinking of making this a dedicated .22 it can stay that way for now.. also keeps it as a bolt action till i maglock it (.22 conversion bolt is installed in photo but dust cover is closed)..
im not sure how i feel about the yhm comp but it keeps the upper switchable with my featureless 3gun lower..

ive got some triangular handguards but they dont fit the hbar barrel.. looks like ill have to build another one so i can use those hand gaurds
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 01-04-2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterthehero View Post

theres my dis-patater..

still need to put the rear sight together which means i need to clean off my bench so i think thats going to wait till the weekend..
also need to figure out what i did with my dork wrench and borrow someones go/nogo..
gas tube is in but not pinned (pending torqueing of barrel nut) im still thinking of making this a dedicated .22 it can stay that way for now.. also keeps it as a bolt action till i maglock it (.22 conversion bolt is installed in photo but dust cover is closed)..
im not sure how i feel about the yhm comp but it keeps the upper switchable with my featureless 3gun lower..

ive got some triangular handguards but they dont fit the hbar barrel.. looks like ill have to build another one so i can use those hand gaurds
My DPMS upper has the HBAR barrel and with my USGI triangular guard I had to use the dremel tool to relieve the hand guard up near the front sight so it will close around the heavy barrel. Once done, It fits 98 percent. Seems like contact between the barrel and guard heat shield keeps the two halves apart about .080" Don't quite come together. Problem is, The gun shoots .300" at 50 yards so far with the other handguard so I'm worried the barrel contact will muck that up.
I'll see. Probably wind up putting triangle forend on a Factory contour A2 upper with a 20 inch barrel and reverting to the DPMS forend. The triangle does look cool on the rifle, just wish it closed a tad more.

Last edited by Fred C Dobbs; 01-04-2012 at 8:28 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 9:41 PM

Default My Dizzy!

Well, I had to do it...

PSA Upper
PSA Lower
PSA LPK
PSA BGC/charging handle
Badger Ord. Tac latch
Del-Ton Dizzy barrel w/FSB
A2 Flash Hinder
A2 hand guards
UTG NM Rear sight
ACE Stock
Radlock BB

I have not even cleaned her up from assembly yet; evidence is the anti-seize on the upper receiver (stuff gets everywhere) and bolt packed with cosmoline. No major issues in assembly except the FSB/gas block was not deep enough to accommodate the gas tube, so I drilled it out a little and it fit just fine.

The PSA trigger is lighter than my Stag trigger in my featureless but has more creep. I like the feel of the ACE stock but not sold on the looks yet...

Plan to zero her next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-07_15-34-29_939.jpg (98.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 4:14 PM

Default Before it was called a "Dissapator"

...it was a Colt 605

And here's my recent "old skool" build:

A1 slick side upper & shortened pencil barrel from Fulton Armory
Used A1 furniture & sling from Gunbroker user: tripwire1
Chrome SP-1 non-F/A BCG from Young Mfg

Twitter: @Bolillo_SCZ
Old 01-10-2012, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

605 had a 15 inch barrel probably the reason the design originally had so many problems and why people still think they don't work.

Good lookin Old School rifle!
how hot does that handguard get tho? have you ripped on it?
Old 01-10-2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
605 had a 15 inch barrel probably the reason the design originally had so many problems and why people still think they don't work.

Good lookin Old School rifle!
how hot does that handguard get tho? have you ripped on it?
No doubt that extra one inch will help, both functionally and legally.

I can't say about the handguard heat yet. Scheduled to go rippin' later this week.

Old 01-10-2012, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...my 9mm AR will have a rifle length handguard... dissipator style but no gas system so no worries about gas port size or anything
Same here...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolillo View Post
No doubt that extra one inch will help, both functionally and legally.

I can't say about the handguard heat yet. Scheduled to go rippin' later this week.
saweeeet! lookin forward to that range report!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
saweeeet! lookin forward to that range report!
About 150 rounds of XM193 yesterday at the range. Zero issues. Cycles just fine with the 16" barrel and rifle length gas system. GTG with punching out the black ring after iron sights were adjusted. No handguard heat concerns with firing at a 2 sec (range rules) rate through a couple of mags. Best compliment was, "How did you bring that back from 'Nam ?"

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Just ordered my 7.62x39 dissipator upper from Model 1 sales. Impatiently waiting now....
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Mine.

PSA lower, Bushmaster upper, heavy fluted barrel. And it does get hot lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 2:17 PM
Banned

7.62x39 and 556 with the front sight bases removed.

Old 02-01-2012, 2:18 PM

OOOK I want a dissy upper bad, what is the best route to go for purchase... I do not want to construct an upper, assembled would be great.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Old 02-01-2012, 4:27 PM
Banned

http://model1sales.com/index.cfm?fus...ategory_id=291
Old 02-01-2012, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuntsman949 View Post
OOOK I want a dissy upper bad, what is the best route to go for purchase... I do not want to construct an upper, assembled would be great.
palmetto state armory seams to be a great place to start looking.
jsesurplus occasionally has completed uppers for sale, I have seen dissipator style uppers a couple of times.

EDIT:
the krylon on my dissy was getting pretty SAD. I won't paint it with duracoat because I just don't want to - so I repainted it with ultra-flat black and did a snakeskin sorta fade on the front with tan.
lmk what you think!

Last edited by FatalKitty; 02-01-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
p
lmk what you think!
Uhhh....don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's a case of where somebody might say, "...well, I'm sure she has a nice personality...."

Old 02-02-2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
lmk what you think!
needs to go back further.. lookes like you poked it in the mud.. i like the way it came out though..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolillo View Post
Uhhh....don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's a case of where somebody might say, "...well, I'm sure she has a nice personality...."
bwuaaahahaha - nice :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterthehero View Post
needs to go back further.. lookes like you poked it in the mud.. i like the way it came out though..
oh yea! I really just wanted to draw attention to the front end of the rifle, since it's the short barrel end that always make people go "what is going on here?"
last time it was at the range it got quite a few looks and people just can't stop speculating - I let them guess and talk about it with their buddies... I hear the funny remarks like "yea it's a short barrel, like the navy seals use" or "it's got a gas block up front but probably has a short gas tube under there."

I love popping that handguard off and making people go >0.0<

plus having a heavy profile barrel on there always throws people for a loop
Old 02-03-2012, 3:14 PM

Dang....never thought about a dissipator build. Hmmm...if I did, I'd probably do a 18"bbl in a 6.8. Been kinda wanting to do a 6.8 build anyway.
Old 02-03-2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:

I dig it! Do you have just a full side shot?

I've started collecting parts for my dissi build. Should be something close to my sig pic
Old 02-03-2012, 5:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ordered the hammer forged midlength-gas dissipator upper (with USGI handguards) from PSA almost two weeks ago. Still hasn't shipped. Would like to know what's up with that. They said they were in stock.

Anyways, once that gets here it's going on a Noveske blem lower that I've got sitting around half-built (no buttstock assembly yet).

I'm REALLY liking the new MOE Rifle stock that Magpul announced, but it's not shipping yet so I'll probably just get an A1 stock for now to pass the time.

For irons I'm a big fan of the RRA Tactical Carry handle. It's got an A2 sight, with a slightly elevated rail. I may top it with a Primary Arms red dot, but we'll see.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-03-2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Ordered the hammer forged midlength-gas dissipator upper (with USGI handguards) from PSA almost two weeks ago. Still hasn't shipped. Would like to know what's up with that. They said they were in stock.

Anyways, once that gets here it's going on a Noveske blem lower that I've got sitting around half-built (no buttstock assembly yet).

I'm REALLY liking the new MOE Rifle stock that Magpul announced, but it's not shipping yet so I'll probably just get an A1 stock for now to pass the time.

For irons I'm a big fan of the RRA Tactical Carry handle. It's got an A2 sight, with a slightly elevated rail. I may top it with a Primary Arms red dot, but we'll see.
I'm waiting for the Magpul stock for mine. I tried a PA red dot, but it felt too bulky and added too much weight. I'm liking my Matech 600m BUIS though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2012, 9:21 PM

to the OP you will also want to add AIM Surplus to that list of dizzy suppliers. Spikes builds AIM exclusive uppers and they offered the Dizzy as well. was going to buy one but the new CHF uppers were in stock and would rather have the FN barrel and turn it into my own Dissapator!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
I'm waiting for the Magpul stock for mine.
preorder is your friend

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG404-BLK.aspx
Old 02-04-2012, 1:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal-ar View Post
to the OP you will also want to add AIM Surplus to that list of dizzy suppliers. Spikes builds AIM exclusive uppers and they offered the Dizzy as well. was going to buy one but the new CHF uppers were in stock and would rather have the FN barrel and turn it into my own Dissapator!
thanks! added
Old 02-04-2012, 1:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosurfer View Post
I dig it! Do you have just a full side shot?

I've started collecting parts for my dissi build. Should be something close to my sig pic
I don't hav a full side shot, but I am shooting a video this weekend - so that will be up.

I hope to introduce a malfunction with steely wolf (havn't been able to the last 200 I shot) and also show off my fancy new plate carrier and ceramic armor I got.

plus you all get to see my sexay face (I am drunk right now)
Old 02-04-2012, 9:03 AM

Quote:
I don't hav a full side shot, but I am shooting a video this weekend - so that will be up.

I hope to introduce a malfunction with steely wolf (havn't been able to the last 200 I shot) and also show off my fancy new plate carrier and ceramic armor I got.

plus you all get to see my sexay face (I am drunk right now)
Haha!

Cool, can't wait to see the vid. I was already thinking of doing a fade with black on my FDE handguards, so it will be cool to see how yours looks.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 AM

Not too shabby if I may say so myself! Especially considering that a little over a year ago I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with irons.

Old 02-07-2012, 8:56 AM

Here is my Dissy. JD lower, DPMS upper HBar barrel. RRA match trigger. Likes HPR ammo with 60 Vmax bullets, also 75 grain Honaday Match ammo. Finally got to test it at 100yds yesterday. It really did well for an off the shelf upper and ammo. Need to reload soon. THis gun shot .300" at 50 yards with the HPR 60 grain ammo. (Turners Outdorsman)
I damaged one target removing it in a hurry, Four went into .482" but the staple destroyed where the fifth went. Could have been a great group but I don't know. Just in a hurry.

Last edited by Fred C Dobbs; 02-07-2012 at 9:00 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 6:51 PM

http://www.addaxtactical.com/store/p...LY-57p5557.htm

I was at Addax Tactical in San Fernando last weekend (they are great, btw )and saw they had a couple of their own dissipator uppers (DGI). One was a 16" barrel with midlength gas block and the other was 16" barrel with rifle-length gas system. The guy told me they just came out with the rifle-length one, which explains why it's not on the website yet. Just an FYI
Old 02-07-2012, 7:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
http://www.addaxtactical.com/store/p...LY-57p5557.htm

I was at Addax Tactical in San Fernando last weekend (they are great, btw )and saw they had a couple of their own dissipator uppers (DGI). One was a 16" barrel with midlength gas block and the other was 16" barrel with rifle-length gas system. The guy told me they just came out with the rifle-length one, which explains why it's not on the website yet. Just an FYI
"Ships within 40 days" WTF?!??!!!!!
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 02-07-2012, 7:07 PM

I dunno. They have the two I mentioned on the shelf as of last Saturday. Give them a call

Last edited by Beetle Bailey; 02-07-2012 at 8:53 PM.. Reason: fix tone
Old 02-07-2012, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

Ill add addax to my list.... glad they are making true rifle length systems... 17k on mine its almost time to think about a new barrel
Old 02-07-2012, 9:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
glad they are making true rifle length systems...
Out of curiosity, why? I mean, besides the historical value, it's not an appropriate gas system length for the barrel.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer

40 day lead time since we just released the new Dissipator uppers, and we will have the first units ready for delivery within 30-40 days. We are currently in the process of building our first batch.

We are currently only offering the mid-length configuration, which we recently tested shooting Tula .223 using a standard weight carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring without any issues.

The Rifle Length model in our shop is my personal upper that I am currently testing to see if we are going to release it.

I have been shooting both types (Mid and Rifle), and I don't feel that there is much of a difference in overall felt recoil.

The rifle length feels like the mid since the gas port hole on the rifle length needs to be larger to push more gas through the system to cycle reliably.

Chris

Last edited by Addax; 02-07-2012 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Out of curiosity, why? I mean, besides the historical value, it's not an appropriate gas system length for the barrel.
yes it certainly is.

want to know how I know? check out my photos in this thread.

read the original post where I clearly outline why I think that rifle length gas systems are a good to go - I have well over 17,000 rounds through mine

I understand the AR-15 is a lego set, and each will have their own ideas about what is the best to use... I for one think that there is no single type that is better than the others. But I do prefer a softer recoiling and reliable rifle that doesn't use 2 gas blocks to achieve a longer sight radius when you could simply add a free float tube for far less work and money.

there is no historical value... it's a brand spankin new barrel

Last edited by FatalKitty; 02-08-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

In addition to the above reply:

shot blanks all day on Sunday - stuff is dirty.

gun was reliable enough to shoot blanks with ZERO problems all day using the red BFA (designed for rifles)
Old 02-14-2012, 4:42 PM

FK got rid of your SF muzzle brake?
Old 02-14-2012, 6:29 PM

I now own ONLY rifle gassed ARs. I can die happy now. <3
Old 02-15-2012, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznanimekid View Post
FK got rid of your SF muzzle brake?
yup! it is an amazing brake for sure, loved it. but unfortunately people shooting next to me in a group didn't like it as much.
since I now shoot all the time with others in classes and drills - with the added fact that I am now training with the Fortress America Project Militia with BFAs - I got an A2 cage.