Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-11-2011, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
Any advice on finding a *lightweight* "true" (read: rifle length gas) dissipator barrel? I'm thinking of trying it for the sight radius, recoil reduction, and handguard space, but it's my KISS MOE build and I'd prefer not to gain weight.

Sent from my Galaxy S II. Please overlook any typos.
I don't think you will find a lightweight rifle gassed 16"bbl
however CMMG makes a med contour version that is chrome lined (if you're into that sorta thing)

I have considered having mine turned down on a lathe and recoated... but just not that important to me, I see the weight as a benefit.

let me know if you do find one I will add it to the list, as I am sure there is plenty of interest on it.
Old 12-11-2011, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
I don't think you will find a lightweight rifle gassed 16"bbl
however CMMG makes a med contour version that is chrome lined (if you're into that sorta thing)

I have considered having mine turned down on a lathe and recoated... but just not that important to me, I see the weight as a benefit.

let me know if you do find one I will add it to the list, as I am sure there is plenty of interest on it.

I was talking to Monty at Centurion barrels and he said he could possibly do a GB of 17" SS rifle gased barrels for 550.00. That seems like a lot but it is basically cutting down a 18" MK12 Mod1 5.56mm stainless barrel, 1 in 7" twist to 17"...

I've also heard that M.S.T.N. already has a 17" rifle gassed barrel ready to go. However, I've not confirmed if this is a fixed FSB, which is what I want.

I think all I need is at least 5 to get it going with Centurion. They will use mine as a guinea pig for gas port size and the rest will be duplicates. But the length will be 17" for reliability as it is not a mock style dissipator.
Old 12-11-2011, 6:53 PM

Putting together a dissy. Gonna look like this but with different stock/pg/brake/mag.

Rail and sights come this Tuesday! Gonna top it off with an XPS-2
Old 12-11-2011, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

For those interested, the PSA Dissipator upper weighs 4.6 lbs with Magpul handguard.
Old 12-12-2011, 7:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDFTD View Post

Putting together a dissy. Gonna look like this but with different stock/pg/brake/mag.

They look soooooooo long until you get it in your hands... LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDFTD View Post

are you using a fixed front sight on the barrel or a flip up on a free float rail like the photo... cause the later wouldn't be a dissipator

I went ahead and threw a magpul MVG on mine, mainly to use as a handstop that will let me hold the rifle not so far out.
went shooting the yesterday and was really liked it so I think i'll keep it

Last edited by FatalKitty; 12-12-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
are you using a fixed front sight on the barrel or a flip up on a free float rail like the photo... cause the later wouldn't be a dissipator

I went ahead and threw a magpul MVG on mine, mainly to use as a handstop that will let me hold the rifle not so far out.
went shooting the other day
funny cuz I got into an argument with a buddy over my barrel mounted HK style flip up and I had to agree I didn't have a "real" dissy...

I still like it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

same idea - longer sight radius... but considering the original colt M16 605 and the bushmaster "dissipator" both had fixed sights... both would be true dissipators

I thought about going with a freefloat that is longer than standard rifle and using a flip up like my friend did... but i love my fixed sight so much I didn't do it... it's strong and always deployed. can't beat it
Old 12-13-2011, 6:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
same idea - longer sight radius... but considering the original colt M16 605 and the bushmaster "dissipator" both had fixed sights... both would be true dissipators

I thought about going with a freefloat that is longer than standard rifle and using a flip up like my friend did... but i love my fixed sight so much I didn't do it... it's strong and always deployed. can't beat it
I couldnt find a 2-piece clamp-on Fixed A2. All of them are either flip up or 1-piece clamp-on. I have a 14.5" with perm Brake and didnt want to goof with it, so I needed to clamp the FSB on.
Old 12-17-2011, 2:26 PM

Just ordered my dissipator upper from JSE.

Old 12-17-2011, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Diesel, i posted a link on the previous page to a clamp on that isnt flip up.... but its not a 2 piece :/
Old 12-17-2011, 5:01 PM

Thanks for an informative thread. Working on one dissipator build now. Will use this barrel as a lightweight cut down to 17" rifle length. If I have gas troubles, I'll open her port up to 0.10 incrementally.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=GM-M16

As a proof of concept piece, the price can't be beat.
Old 12-17-2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg-s338 View Post
Thanks for an informative thread. Working on one dissipator build now. Will use this barrel as a lightweight cut down to 17" rifle length. If I have gas troubles, I'll open her port up to 0.10 incrementally.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=GM-M16

As a proof of concept piece, the price can't be beat.
Wow, that is a price you can't beat. How are GM barrels? The barrel that I was proposing is around 550.00 out the door (which includes cut at 17", re-thread and re-crown). The ones from centurion are top notch.
Old 12-17-2011, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

WOW! 1/8 twist! might have to grab that up! thanks for the link
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM

Apparently, Green Mountain has somewhat of a reputation as a good barrel supplier in the 22LR world. I figure the 556 is also a 22 caliber so I'll use it for this plinker and who knows, might turn out to be a decent chrome lined barrel.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar1516barr...ght-1-1-1.aspx

been picking up parts here and there for a while... ill see how it shoots and what it will eat.. if it does not like what i shoot then it will move over to my dedicated 22..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterthehero View Post
http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar1516barr...ght-1-1-1.aspx

been picking up parts here and there for a while... ill see how it shoots and what it will eat.. if it does not like what i shoot then it will move over to my dedicated 22..
dam and my wife already bought my christmas gift
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

I have the DPMS version of that (likely the same barrel even) it was the same price - I bought 2 at the time... figured the lack of chrome lining I would have to change it out soon... but
so far I have over 10k rounds through it. 4 days of courses, lots of drills, some plinking, and plenty of range time. and it still puts round holes in paper at 400 yards

Last edited by FatalKitty; 12-18-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have the DPMS version of that (likely the same barrel even) it was the same price - I bought 2 at the time... figured the lack of chrome lining I would have to change it out soon... but
so far I have over 10k rounds through it. 4 days of courses, lots of drills, some plinking, and plenty of range time. and it still puts round holes in paper at 400 yards
You could bet they are the same barrel. I doubt DTi has another barrel vendor. Its just the DPMS one resold twice.
Old 12-18-2011, 4:17 PM

Quote:
thats prettymuch all i want it to do..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-19-2011, 2:51 AM

So 16" with rifle length gas or mid length gas? I lost track somewhere along the line.
Old 12-19-2011, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstar View Post
So 16" with rifle length gas or mid length gas? I lost track somewhere along the line.

I prefer the first... some people prefer the second
Old 12-19-2011, 4:26 PM

My DPMS upper on JD machine lower. USGI hand guard. Had to Dremel the muzzle end of the guard to fit it around the heavy barrel up forward. Small gap, about a 1/32 bulge in the middle of the guard. Dont know if this typical of this forend or some other internal interference with the heavy barrel. I like the old school look
Vortex Viper 6.5x20 for target work. The DMPS rail with the knurled nut for attachment to the handle was not good. the rail was moving unless you took a pliers and bubba'd the thing tight. Replaced it with a short stainless bolt with a thin Nylon washer to prevent gauling. Install and remove with a 7/16" wrench. Now the rail does not move.
I tried HPR ammo with 60 grain Hornaday Vmax bullets. I didn't have a chance to move out to 100 yards yet as it was my first outing and I was just breaking in and trying different optics.
SHot the HPR ammo five shots into .300" at 50 yards. 100 yards and beyond next time. Got the ammo at Turners. $29 for 50 rounds. Never seen this brand of ammo before and I'm impressed. More accurate than my hand loads and Hornaday 75 grain target ammo from ODCMP by at least 50%.

Last edited by Fred C Dobbs; 12-19-2011 at 7:42 PM..
Old 12-19-2011, 6:16 PM

Any thoughts about the durability of the clamp-on front sights when making a mock dissipator? Would they survive the "drop test" (i.e., stay zeroed if dropped on a hard surface)?

I'm thinking about stoping in at Riflegear in the near future to see if they have those Armalite FSBs in stock.
Old 12-19-2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug74 View Post
Any thoughts about the durability of the clamp-on front sights when making a mock dissipator? Would they survive the "drop test" (i.e., stay zeroed if dropped on a hard surface)?

I'm thinking about stoping in at Riflegear in the near future to see if they have those Armalite FSBs in stock.
I have a faux gas block with picatinny rail on my 9mm AR. It's a blow back so there is no gas tube. The block attaches with four set screws and just holds in place in front of the forend. It came loose on me once. I don't trust it to stay in place much less when the gun gets whacked. If you can pin it, I'd consider doing that.
Old 12-19-2011, 8:38 PM

ive put about a thousand through mine with a clamp on A2.. a dab of loctite does wonders..

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-20-2011, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
ive put about a thousand through mine with a clamp on A2.. a dab of loctite does wonders..
good to hear! my 9mm AR will have a rifle length handguard... dissipator style but no gas system so no worries about gas port size or anything
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM

My 9mm started life as a RRA carbine. I would have to change to a triangular plate and find one that fits the 9mm barrel diameter to get the triangular guard on it. Considering that the 9mm came with an A2 front sight, the stock end cap will probably fit . I may look into that and put the Dissapator look on the 9mm gun. The 9mm gun looks different now. I replaced the lower and Hahn block with a dedicated 9mm Double Diamond 9mm lower. The lower you see in the 9mm picture shifted to the Dissipator you see in the picture up above after removing the Hahn block.
Old 12-24-2011, 1:04 PM

my barrel showed up lastnight.... i think it weighs more by itself than most of my other ARs...
i need the rest of my parts to show up so i can get this sucker rollin

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-24-2011, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
my barrel showed up lastnight.... i think it weighs more by itself than most of my other ARs...
i need the rest of my parts to show up so i can get this sucker rollin
LOL

it's not THAT bad :P

congrats! can't wait to see the final product!
Old 12-24-2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
LOL

My upper gets here Tuesday. Can't wait!

Old 12-24-2011, 7:58 PM

Love those Dissipators.
Hated the DPMS sight rail. Kind of clunky. Exchanged it for a Ultralux from Model 1. Nice. More streamlined and elegant. Plus the fastening bolt is not a bolt. The Ultra has a post attached to the rail and the knurled nut has holes drilled every 90 degrees so you can tighten it properly without resorting to a pliers and Bubbaing the finish. I slipped a narrow nylon washer under the nut so as not to gall the handle.
The Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44mm sits nice and works well with the bullet drop mil spec style reticle. Can't wait to see how far it shoots before the wheels fall off the 60 grain bullet.
Wound up missing the bottom of the cap from the Magpul grip. They sent a replacement free. I like their products.
Old 12-24-2011, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

^^ good info! ^^ as I just bot a carry handle slick side upper for my 9mm dissy build
Old 12-27-2011, 7:04 PM

Finally here! The DPMS trirail upper is going to be swapped out with the SDM-R clone.

Can't wait to shoot it!

Old 12-27-2011, 7:09 PM

Technically not a dissipator but heres my build

Last edited by UNDFTD; 12-27-2011 at 7:12 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 7:11 PM

Quote:
LOL

neither can i!!!!

srsly though i think i might turn the barrel a bit.. maybe a bit of fluting is in my future.. my original intent was to have something to leave as a dedicated .22

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Question:

What buffer/BCG combo do you guys recommend for a dissy? I've got a JSE upper (with no-name semi-auto BCG) on a Spikes lower with Palmetto buffer (I believe it's a standard weight, but need to verify).

Should I go heavier buffer and/or FA BCG? I like my rifles shooting as softly as possible without losing reliability.
Old 12-30-2011, 9:55 AM

the new gun parts are here the new gun parts are here

i stuck the barrel on the upper just so i could stick it on a lower and see how it feels... holyhell thats a different feel... but i like it and i cant wait for the rest of my parts to show up... i just might have this sucker up and running in time for my next 3 gun match..

(yes those are sharks)

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-30-2011, 2:23 PM

the first dissipator i can remember seeing and what turned me on to them. can you guess where its from?

sorry for the terrible pics

Old 12-30-2011, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

THAT is pretty awesome!

GettoPhilosopher: I have a true semi BCG (heavier than FA) and a spikes ST-2 buffer... shoots very smooth.