Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-14-2011, 6:26 PM

I might be going to the big show in Arizona early december. Does anyone think I can get a complete upper Dizzy from there???? Anyone know what vendors will be there???? If I find one what do you all think I might pay for one with perhaps a chrome lined bore. If a deal can be struck I might pay for a complete hard chrome bolt/carrier and then all I need is a charging handle.

Since you guys are in the know about this version of an AR I hope you can steer me in the right direction.

Mail Clerk
Old 11-15-2011, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
You won't have to worry about overgassed with a dissy... if anything you would run into something that is undergassed. But really, there aren't many ARs out there that will reliably cycle wolf ammo - in fact my dissy does it better than my carbine. it runs all other steel ammo just fine... but wolf is crap and my guns hate it.

The buffer is dependant on your stock, not the gas system. a "rifle buffer" is for the A2 stock that is a fixed rifle stock... the "carbine buffer" is for a carbine stock like a collapsible stock

the cool thing about about using a mock dissy is that you can have free float handguards and a lighter setup (can only find HBAR or mid dissy barrels right now)
and it seams to be the way everyone does it.

I went with the rifle gas systems for a couple of reasons:
1. not many had that set up and I wanted it
2. heavy barrel keeps the muzzle climb down
3. smoother operating gas system - as this gun was going to be iron sights almost exclusively I wanted to keep muzzle jump and recoil down as much as possible
4. I wanted to build it myself, something I wasn't able to do for my first AR with a dual gas block setup (this requires modifying the barrel so that the A2 front post can be pinned in place
hmmm. that's the one reason i really wanted to try a rifle gassed dissy. i already have a carbine AR and i wanted to see the difference. it's also a bit disappointing theres not a lot of choice for a complete rifle-gas upper. maybe i will settle for a PSA middy and pick up a SS barrel later on.

as for buffer combo, i was more referring to various buffer weights. since the rifle-gassed dissy will be softer, i was wondering how heavy i can run until i reach a failure point. maybe im just overthinking to find the softest shooter i can lol.
Old 11-15-2011, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

I use a spikes ST-T2 buffer and a semi-auto carrier... so I know the DPMS has plenty of umpf to move that crap around

but yea... my entire goal of the rifle was to get a soft shooting rifle, so that ultimately limited my choices as far as what parts I could use. But I am really pleased with it and if I did it over again (which I will) I won't change any of the running gear
Old 11-15-2011, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

added some "where to buy" in post #2
CMMG, DTI/DPMS, and PSA dissipator sexyness
Old 11-15-2011, 3:26 PM

Iggy's old Dissy remixed

Old 11-15-2011, 4:09 PM
Banned

I think people have totally zoned out on the benefits of a rifle length hand guard which is recoil control I'll let Jerry explain

btw you should add model 1 sales to the suppliers

Last edited by stormy_clothing; 11-15-2011 at 4:12 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
I think people have totally zoned out on the benefits of a rifle length hand guard which is recoil control I'll let Jerry explain

[IMG]http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/miculekvegas1.jpg[IMG]

btw you should add model 1 sales to the suppliers
one of the benefits yes... but really - rifle SIGHTS is the objective...
but yea... look at my video on page 1... about the only time I get to hold anything longer than 3 inches

Last edited by FatalKitty; 11-15-2011 at 5:46 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 7:09 PM

Rifle length gas system with 18" barrel>Rifle length gas system with 16" barrel.

Then there is the intermediate length gas system. Forget which company does it. In between a rifle length and a mid length gas system. Suppossed to work well with 16-18" barrels.
Old 11-15-2011, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rugged... if you want a race gun or spr... yea... there are performance options out there. This thread is about the dissipator: which is another kind of cool, one that you have to level up to achieve

Last edited by FatalKitty; 11-15-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
This thread is about the dissipator: which is another kind of cool
What??? Since when have Dissipators become "cool"??

I know I have received a few strange looks at Angeles because it's not "normal" looking or tacticool enough.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

I think the cool is the underground kind of cool

I know most people thinks it's an SBR because of how close the barrel end is to the sight... it's hard to notice that it's the same length as their guns. They freak out and everyone that touches it wants one

Last edited by FatalKitty; 11-23-2011 at 4:21 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM

I think at some point I may want to configure my AR into a mock Dissipator setup. How hard is it to install the front sight? What does pinning it entail?

Right now I have a DDM4 V5, but a part of me wants to lose the rail, add a carry handle and install a front sight block. If I'm doing all that, I might as well explore making a mock Dizzy.
Old 11-16-2011, 5:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloth View Post
I think at some point I may want to configure my AR into a mock Dissipator setup. How hard is it to install the front sight? What does pinning it entail?

Right now I have a DDM4 V5, but a part of me wants to lose the rail, add a carry handle and install a front sight block. If I'm doing all that, I might as well explore making a mock Dizzy.
Just buy a dissy barrel with the Front Sight Base already there.

You could even buy the DPMS barrel FatalKitty has... its a good shooter. They fixed the gas port issue.

Pinning the FSB is a complicated process and doing it wrong is VERY easy.

As long as you can remove your muzzle device you can install a clamp on FSB and handguard cap. ArmaLite sells the one piece clamp on FSB, buy a triangle handguard cap.

The pin to hold the handguard cap can be bought at any hardware store. If you are not handy with tool and assembly type work...call someone who is.

Cut your old FSB down so only the gas block portion is left. The bayonet lug and sling loop need to go as well. Cut the old handguard cap off as well. Paint the bare metal. Remove your muzzle device. Put the rifle length handguards on the delta, tie them together or use a rubberband to hold them into one. Slide the new triangle handguard cap on the barrel. Compress the handguards into the delta, this puts tension on the Delta's weld spring and holds the handguards in place. Make sure its not fully compressed, because to remove the handguards you need to compress it farther and slide them off. When you find a good medium compressed spot, mark that on the barrel just at the handguard cap. Line up the handguard cap's gas tube hole with the gas tube hole in the new FSB and pound in a pin to hold them together. Now the handguard cap and FSB are one solid piece. Slide them both on the barrel. Watch for the mark on the barrel and make sure you lock the Handguard cap right on it. Leave the FSB slightly loose to allow you to move it side to side for zeroing, then lock it down. The whole transformation from Carbine to Dissy takes less than 2 hours and most of that time is cutting the bayonet lug and changing cutting disks on the dremel tool. If you need phone tech support, PM me a few days prior, I have sundays and mondays off... LOL
Old 11-16-2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
I might be going to the big show in Arizona early december. Does anyone think I can get a complete upper Dizzy from there???? Anyone know what vendors will be there???? If I find one what do you all think I might pay for one with perhaps a chrome lined bore. If a deal can be struck I might pay for a complete hard chrome bolt/carrier and then all I need is a charging handle.

Since you guys are in the know about this version of an AR I hope you can steer me in the right direction.

Mail Clerk
Look for Ken Elmore at the SAW booth, he is always in the SAR building, just about in the middle, about one row off of the far wall.

I bought my first "dissipator" upper from Ken way back when he frequented the OC shows. Had to be 25+ years ago, nobody even referred to them as dissipators back then. He just called it his "Bush Rifle". I mated it to a Y/M match chromed BCG and 25+ years and many many different black rifles later it is still my favorite gun. Get one, you cannot go wrong.

Aside from Ken you will also find Model 1 Sales and several other big name black rifle guys there. Right there in the SAR building is Model 1 and "the other guys", their name slips me right now, but they will have racks and racks of uppers there in every darn configuration you can think of and a few that you can't.

If you have never been to the big show in December then you are in for a real treat, bring a backpack, good walking shoes, and lots of money.

Last edited by Rule .308; 11-16-2011 at 7:07 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule .308 View Post
Look for Ken Elmore at the SAW booth, he is always in the SAR building, just about in the middle, about one row off of the far wall.
If and only if you want to be over charged on everything than perhaps do go with Ken. Being that he's a "Colt Only" guy, I highly doubt he's going to have anything remotely similar to a Dissipator. Not to mention, he doesn't seem to appreciate the civilain sector all that much: Talk about a meltdown.

PK Firearms has a Bushmaster Dissipator upper with BCG and charging handle for $530. You'll still need a carry handle or some kind of optic with BUIS.

Not related to PK Firearms, but click here for the link to their upper.

Last edited by CrazyJeep; 11-16-2011 at 7:34 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJeep View Post
If and only if you want to be over charged on everything than perhaps do go with Ken. Being that he's a "Colt Only" guy, I highly doubt he's going to have anything remotely similar to a Dissipator. Not to mention, he doesn't seem to appreciate the civilain sector all that much: Talk about a meltdown.

PK Firearms has a Bushmaster Dissipator upper with BCG and charging handle for $530. You'll still need a carry handle or some kind of optic with BUIS.

wow I just read that... I would never buy a single thing from that guy, even if he was the only one at the show with a real 605a
Old 11-16-2011, 8:10 AM

Yeah, just a good reminder of why I do not hang out at ARF.com. I have no problems with Ken and over the years have received nothing but outstanding service from him. He does not pander to people and does not suffer idiots well at all, I have no problem with that. After all, it is his business and he can run it any way he sees fit and he seems to have done well for himself over the years.
Old 11-16-2011, 8:34 AM

That was an amazing meltdown. Still laughing about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 1:33 PM

Calguns is going to be the end of me. Just when I think I have it all figured out and "only want these specific guns" I come across a thread like this. Add one more to the "only want these specific guns" list.

So, a quick (and hopefully not stupid) question: Perusing the dissipator options on Model 1 Sales, I see they have a 7.62x39 option. Now, for some reason this upper is just calling to me. I like the idea of a the cheaper ammo for what will basically be a plinker rifle. So yeah, the question, can I run that upper on a standard AR15 lower and LPK?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Only thing I can't figure out is if that Model 1 upper is a rifle length or mid or carbine gas system.

Last edited by C_S; 11-16-2011 at 2:53 PM..
Old 11-16-2011, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_S View Post
Calguns is going to be the end of me. Just when I think I have it all figured out and "only want these specific guns" I come across a thread like this. Add one more to the "only want these specific guns" list.

So, a quick (and hopefully not stupid) question: Perusing the dissipator options on Model 1 Sales, I see they have a 7.62x39 option. Now, for some reason this upper is just calling to me. I like the idea of a the cheaper ammo for what will basically be a plinker rifle. So yeah, the question, can I run that upper on a standard AR15 lower and LPK?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Only thing I can't figure out is if that Model 1 upper is a rifle length or mid or carbine gas system.
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=294

"special gas block design assures proper gas system operation"

it's a mid/carbine - I can see the slave block under the railed front end.

and yea, it'll fit with
Old 11-17-2011, 5:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I have never read that... LOL I used SA and have never had that level of "wait" before... Funny stuff
Old 11-17-2011, 8:24 AM

Quote:
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=294

"special gas block design assures proper gas system operation"

it's a mid/carbine - I can see the slave block under the railed front end.

and yea, it'll fit with
Duh, when in doubt, look a little closer. Well shoot, that's not totally a deal breaker for me but I was really hoping for the rifle length for the reduced recoil. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.
Old 11-17-2011, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

If it doesnt exist, have white oak make it!
Old 11-17-2011, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome guns all! In before the wolf ammo lovers. Fatal Kitty is right, that stuff is crap and there really is no denying it. Steel cased ammo for Commie guns, brass cased stuff for reliable RAPID shooting and training with your AR.
Old 11-17-2011, 4:08 PM

Default what about this barrel?

Quote:
If it doesnt exist, have white oak make it!
Who should I talk to? Called White Oak and they said in order to do a rifle length gas system 16" dissapator style barrel, I'd have to have a minimum of 5 barrels to make that happen.

SO... I thought maybe buying this and having them cut it down to 16" or 17"?...

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=250&page=1
Old 11-17-2011, 4:10 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90503 View Post
I'd have to have a minimum of 5 barrels to make that happen.
I might be in for a GB if the price is right... The more I read this thread the more I realize I NEED a Disp upper.

-------
Old 11-17-2011, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Who should I talk to? Called White Oak and they said in order to do a rifle length gas system 16" dissapator style barrel, I'd have to have a minimum of 5 barrels to make that happen.

SO... I thought maybe buying this and having them cut it down to 16" or 17"?...

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=250&page=1
I had no idea! I only recommended White Oak because I always hear great stuff about them!

be careful about just cutting the barrel down, this resulted in some issues with the first vietnam era rifles... I'm not sure it would be the same with a 30cal but without an enlarged gas port, you run the risk of not having enough gas getting through due to the shorter 'dwell time'

in your case it might be benifitial to go with a "mock style" dissy
Old 11-17-2011, 8:42 PM

Great subject matter and so, on the money! The dissy has the 'practicool' crowd cheering! Thanks!

Stags Arms 3g team's rifle is a testament to the practicool factor.

http://MichaelRobertsHomes.com/

Last edited by livefire; 11-17-2011 at 8:45 PM..
Old 11-18-2011, 8:29 AM

Quote:
I'd have to have a minimum of 5 barrels to make that happen.
If you were going to do the 7.62x39 barrel, I'd be in on a group buy as well.

Otherwise, I'll just go with the mock one with the carbine gas tube.
Old 11-18-2011, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

just saw this - another great way for a DIY "mock" dissipator!

http://www.riflegear.com/p-927-armal...-w-screws.aspx

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

This morning I finished off the last of the Lake City XM855 I had laying around which brings my (known) round count to over 8400 rounds!!!
I think it might be time to consider replacing the barrel, however... still shooting just as accurately as ever.

Last edited by FatalKitty; 12-18-2011 at 9:40 AM..
Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
This morning I finished off the last of the Lake City XM855 I had laying around which brings my (known) round count to over 8400 rounds!!!
I think it might be time to consider replacing the barrel, however... still shooting just as accurately as ever.

Congrats! This disproves dissapator setups do work. I also found this:
https://centurionarms.com/index.php?...101&Itemid=139

I learned that these barrels are pretty tough, perhaps originating from the same source that Noveske gets their barrels from. Now if I can get a hold of these guys to see if a FSB will work with their OD?
Old 11-23-2011, 4:03 PM

Does the dissipator only comes in 1:9 twist & Hbar? I was thinking of getting it in 1:7 twist & medium weight. I guess if I go with "mock" dissy it will work. DPMS told me its not made that way.
Old 11-23-2011, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

check with CMMG - DPMS only makes the HBAR in 1/9
Old 11-23-2011, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Palmetto state armory makes a complete mock dissipator upper with medium weight barrel of 1:7 twist. $450 + $15 for shipping.n

I bought a mid-length upper and the quality is excellent.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Possible group buy on dissapator barrels

Just putting some feelers on a group buy on some centurion rifle length gas/ dissapator barrels. Who's interested.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Count me in for the group buy!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Well given their "no sales to Ca." attitude on things like lowers and even the Ares RCU conversion, I thing I'll shop elsewhere.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Ares_22_RCU/129/c
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22
Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.

Old 12-06-2011, 8:10 PM

Any advice on finding a *lightweight* "true" (read: rifle length gas) dissipator barrel? I'm thinking of trying it for the sight radius, recoil reduction, and handguard space, but it's my KISS MOE build and I'd prefer not to gain weight.

Sent from my Galaxy S II. Please overlook any typos.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Curses!!! This will be my next build.