Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-24-2011, 5:31 PM

Default Is a S&W 4506-1 worth taking to a gunsmith for accurizing?

I just picked up a SW 4506-1 the other month and I really like the gun....for a .45 it's pretty smooth (being bulky to take the recoil)...and tough. It was also fairly accurate when I first shot it, however after cleaning it I noticed it was not as accurate.

I hadn't thought much about taking it to a gunsmith to get it looked at or worked on, but I'm wondering if I should...and then thinking further should I maybe get it accurized (new barrel, etc.). The guns are older and only around $500. I do know they are as solid as a tank...I just don't know if it's worth it to take the extra step.

I have gone to some USPSA matches (although not with the 4506-1---not enough magazines) but I was thinking of eventually taking it....and nonetheless would like to have my guns as accurate as possible anyway.

What do you guys think? I keep thinking back to the car analogy...why spend $300 on a car that is only worth $500...and will still be only worth $500 afterwards.
Old 10-24-2011, 6:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That gun should shoot a quarter sized group at 15 yards. Where are you located? I would get together with a great shooter to see how it is grouping for them.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 10-24-2011, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

You would be better off having a gunsmith do a trigger job...someone once said the double-action trigger pull of the 4506's is like dragging a big bag of large rocks on a gravel driveway....uphill.

They are great guns, but I do find it takes a little more effort to shoot it well than anything else I own.

--Neill
Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 PM

Default I'm in North Orange County

Sammy: too bad I'm not up in the Bay area or I'd take you up on your offer in your link regarding your offer to help teach the shooting fundamentals.

One of the things I am struggling with, is that I have no history of the previous owner(s) of the gun. It could have been a duty gun of an LEO and shot all to heck...or it could have been a safe or nightstand queen. Because the grips had some scarring on it I feel it might have been the former.

I'm in the Seal Beach/Los Alamitos area if there are any "great shooters" who wants to take some shots with it.
Old 10-25-2011, 6:50 AM

I have a 4506 and 6906 that have both seen HUGE numbers of rounds through. As their reputations precede them, utterly solid and reliable. That being said, both my guns (bought new) are loose-fit and of average machining quality. They are quite accurate, but I would have to think it would get costly, quickly, trying to tighten up the slide/frame and barrel/bushing/slide. It may be a .45, but it has nothing in common with the 1911 platform (the Camaro of the gun world) and the zillion aftermarket parts. Besides one or two add-ons out there, there is very little else still available for those. At least readily available.

Unfortunately, it's not like buying a Beretta 92 (for instance) that is essentially the exact same gun now, as it was back in the early nineties.

Last edited by sneather; 10-25-2011 at 6:54 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 7:20 AM

Ah, the age old desire to find a hardware solution to fix a training issue.

Unless you are already a world class master shooter, you assembled it incorrectly, or your pistol has some damage that is causing it to shoot wild, then your pistol is already much more accurate that you are. This isn't a dig at you as I'm sure it is much more accurate than I and 90%+ of the shooters on Calguns. As others have mentioned, the 4506 has a good reputation for accuracy, my 1006 (which is the same gun chambered for 10mm) is scary accurate. I'm still a better shooter one day than I am another, and I seldom clean my pistols, so day to day variance in shooting ability (or accuracy) is normal whether the gun has been cleaned or not.

The reality is that $1 spent on quality training will pay off a thousand times better than that dollar spent on "accurizing' the pistol. Pistols are hard to shoot accurately despite how Hollywood presents them.

There should be plenty of ranges in your area that offer handgun training classes. Shop around an find an instructor that has good reviews. If you get the chance to take a class from one of the traveling "greats" such as Kyle Lamb, Louis Awerbuck, or Chris Costa, jump at the chance. You could also consider a vacation to a school like Gunsite or Front Sight to give you the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to send your baby to the Preformance Center then by all means. I often fantasize about having my 1006 refinished in Black Melonite, the barrel recrowned (a little nick there and it still shoots way better than me), and the sharp edges around the trigger guard dehorned.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Suvorov; 10-25-2011 at 7:26 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 7:21 AM

Quote:
It may be a .45, but it has nothing in common with the 1911 platform (the Camaro of the gun world) and the zillion aftermarket parts. Besides one or two add-ons out there, there is very little else still available for those. At least readily available.
Good point. Also to use the the Camaro analogy...perhaps I shouldn't try to turn a Ford F-150 truck into a Camaro. The 4506-1 will never be a Colt Gold Cup (or it's equivalent)...so if that's what I want I should just save up and get that...
Old 10-25-2011, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDK3 View Post
I just picked up a SW 4506-1 the other month and I really like the gun....for a .45 it's pretty smooth (being bulky to take the recoil)...and tough. It was also fairly accurate when I first shot it, however after cleaning it I noticed it was not as accurate.

I hadn't thought much about taking it to a gunsmith to get it looked at or worked on, but I'm wondering if I should...and then thinking further should I maybe get it accurized (new barrel, etc.). The guns are older and only around $500. I do know they are as solid as a tank...I just don't know if it's worth it to take the extra step.

I have gone to some USPSA matches (although not with the 4506-1---not enough magazines) but I was thinking of eventually taking it....and nonetheless would like to have my guns as accurate as possible anyway.

What do you guys think? I keep thinking back to the car analogy...why spend $300 on a car that is only worth $500...and will still be only worth $500 afterwards.
I have a 4506-1. Shoots good enough. But not like a 1911. BARSTO barrel, trigger job,new springs ETC. Could run 500.00 +
Old 10-25-2011, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Just shoot......where the gun points.

Try different ammo. Those S&W autos are finicky, and NOT worth taking to a Smith. IMHO
Old 10-25-2011, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I have shot a handful of 4506 and they were all decent in the accuracy department. Depending on the ammo it likes I've seen a few shoot 2.5" groups at 25 yards. You don't have to be a world class champion shooter to check the accuracy of your pistol unless you can't control your nerves due to medical problems. You'll need a few sand bags and take 5 minutes dry firing keeping that clear, steady sight picture in your memory. Here's a link.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shooting_h...bench_rest.htm
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-25-2011, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Just shoot......where the gun points.

Try different ammo. Those S&W autos are finicky, and NOT worth taking to a Smith. IMHO
Sorry. Not finicky, at all. My 20+ year old 4506 simply cycles everything I've ever fed it. Including, my horrible hand-loads.

Back to the original poster. The fact that they aren't hyper-accurate, and may not have a wealth of aftermarket parts says nothing to the fact that the 3rd gen Smiths are fantastic, fun, and utterly reliable guns. I'll never part with mine!
Old 10-25-2011, 3:23 PM

Talking

I am more accurate than my gun. The reason that I miss is because my target keeps moving.
Old 10-25-2011, 3:26 PM

delete

Last edited by jeep7081; 06-27-2012 at 9:35 AM..
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
to use the the Camaro analogy...perhaps I shouldn't try to turn a Ford F-150 truck into a Camaro. The 4506-1 will never be a Colt Gold Cup (or it's equivalent)
To take this thread to it's next logical step: Let's say (assuming for the sake of argument) that I was willing to spend the ~$500+ to have the 4506-1 accurized…

(a) Could it be “built up/out” by a gunsmith to shoot as accurate as a gold cup or Dan Wesson…or maybe something even better (Special Combat Gov’t...or fill in the blank of whatever gun you think is the most accurate)

(b) Is the 4506-1 a type of gun with a solid enough of a foundation to do the "extra's" to build it up?

I've seen posts where they say you don't need to go out and buy a gold cup (or it’s equivalent)...instead just get a gun with a good solid frame and have a gunsmith build it up (I assume it would be barrel, bushings, the works, etc.)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Those are good guns, I'd keep it stock. Its like a Glock, there very reliable. Wish I could find a damn 4006 and 3913, let alone 10 rounders!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

To take this thread to it's next logical step: Let's say (assuming for the sake of argument) that I was willing to spend the ~$500+ to have the 4506-1 accurized…

(a) Could it be “built up/out” by a gunsmith to shoot as accurate as a gold cup or Dan Wesson…or maybe something even better (Special Combat Gov’t...or fill in the blank of whatever gun you think is the most accurate)

(b) Is the 4506-1 a type of gun with a solid enough of a foundation to do the "extra's" to build it up?

I've seen posts where they say you don't need to go out and buy a gold cup (or it’s equivalent)...instead just get a gun with a good solid frame and have a gunsmith build it up (I assume it would be barrel, bushings, the works, etc.)
There are ways to accurise the 4506-1.

Few things:

What ammo to You want to use it ?
Sights????
Are You going to reload for it?

A Barsto barrel is a must.

Keep in mind , it will NEVER be like a match/target 1911.

I collect all steel S&W automatics ( Nostalgia

I have a lot of experiense with them .
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I have several steel Smith automatics. ( and plan for more) .

There are good duty guns. After trying many different things. My target guns are 1911's)
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
I have several steel Smith automatics. ( and plan for more) .

There are good duty guns. After trying many different things. My target guns are 1911's)
Lucky.
Old 10-26-2011, 1:01 PM

Quote:

4506 is a great gun. As others have said, they're reliable, feed anything, great duty weapon if you can handle the weight etc; however, it sounds like you want a custom or semi custom 1911. This gun is not that. If that's what you want, why not buy a Wilson Combat, Springfield Professional etc? If cost is too high, find a Colt 1911 or Springfield Loaded and have it built up a little at a time.
Old 10-26-2011, 2:42 PM

dont ever sell your 4506 you will regret it later on
Old 10-26-2011, 2:48 PM

I think it's fine for what it is and something we/some struggle with. It usually doesn't pay to heavily modify a firearm to make it more accurate. I try not to put too much money into any gun to make it something that it isn't. The reason for not doing this is because when you are done you still just have the base gun. You will likely never get your money out of it. If you put enough money into it you would be better off starting with something in that league that doesn't require heavy modifications.
Old 10-26-2011, 8:06 PM

I think you're just barking up the wrong tree, with that 4506. As many have stated, it's rock solid, reliable and fairly accurate, totally stock.

But even if you COULD build one up (which I just don't think you're going to have much luck doing) you'll still be at a comparative disadvantage with the trigger. Getting the complex (including a firing pin block) double action trigger to ever break as crisply as even an average single action 1911 trigger just isn't going to happen.

Then, there's the fact that the 4506 is just a massive pistol. Compare its silhouette to that of a 1911, and you can see how tall it is. Plus, the shape of the grip and reach to the trigger are quite extreme, compared to a 1911. I have large hands, and it still has never felt totally natural in the over twenty-years I've had mine. Don't get me wrong, I still love shooting it and do pretty well with it. But it's not even close to a moderately tuned 1911.