Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Default 7mm Rigby? (not the rimmed one!)

I am trying to find out what I have for a chambering. I just put my name on a Mauser 98 Kurz (not a 98K) and will be able to do a chamber cast in a few weeks. But what I am sure of, is that it is not a rimmed cartridge. My original thought was that it was the same as the 7x57 or .275 H&H. The Kurz action throws that idea out the door. The cartridge will be about .308 length and a smaller body diameter since a 7mm-08 would only go in about 1/3 of its length before it stopped. Hopefully, someone out there that has familiarity with obscure european cartridges can shed some light on this. I have refenced my copy of The Handloaders Guide to Cartridge Conversions and also every variation of searches on the Internet. I plan to load this cartridge no matter what because this rifle begs to be hunted with.
Thanks
Mark
Old 02-14-2007, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Many people opened up the Kurz actions (1910 Mexicans) to fit the 7 Mauser, 30.06 and 25.06 rounds into. If the action has not been modified it is very collectable, people really like those smaller actions. Are you sure that the bore is 7mm? There was a 6.5x54 chambered in the Obendorf Kurz that was not the same as the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer round.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-15-2007, 4:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A taper would also explain why a case of similar length would not enter the chamber.
So whats the deal with this rifle? Is it sporterized at all? If so and you suspect that it has been rechambered, then you should try to figure out when the work was done, that will give you a clue as to the likely chamberings.
I hope you do the chamber casting yourself, it's a waste of money to take it to a gunsmith and its good fun. Cerrosafe, Brownells
Old 02-15-2007, 4:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold
Many people opened up the Kurz actions (1910 Mexicans) to fit the 7 Mauser, 30.06 and 25.06 rounds into. If the action has not been modified it is very collectable, people really like those smaller actions. Are you sure that the bore is 7mm? There was a 6.5x54 chambered in the Obendorf Kurz that was not the same as the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer round.
6.55 x 54r Mauser, that would be obscure. I think they were all chambered in 7mm though. Are you sure that it's not a 95? How many lugs on the front of the bolt?
Kurz and Mexican 1910 are not the same , Mexican is intermidiate 8.5"(1910 1924 1936), Kurz 8.125", Standard , 8.75"

Last edited by tankerman; 02-15-2007 at 4:40 AM..
Old 02-15-2007, 6:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman
6.55 x 54r Mauser, that would be obscure. I think they were all chambered in 7mm though. Are you sure that it's not a 95? How many lugs on the front of the bolt?
Kurz and Mexican 1910 are not the same , Mexican is intermidiate 8.5"(1910 1924 1936), Kurz 8.125", Standard , 8.75"

You are correct, My source said that people had opened up the Kurz to 7mm Mauser just like people opened up the Mexican's to 30.06 and 25.06, I just misunderstood him.

Old 02-15-2007, 6:18 AM

This is a true commercial Kurz action and the bore is 7mm and the barrel is marked 7mm rigby. This action is only long enough to handle a .308 length round max. Collectors be damned, some european gunmaker built a rifle exactly like I imagined a lightweight field rifle and I will shoot it. I will take a chamber cast with Cerrosafe and spec it out, but that wont be for a couple of weeks. Sorry for the delay responding but I did not get back to a computer soon enough. Yes, I know what the weapon is, but my concern is the cartridge and what I will be able to do to recreate this mysterious round. I contacted Rigby after I placed this post, but the individual that may be able to help me is out of the office till next week. If this rifle was built by Rigby then maybe they have specifications or know who ripped off their name for a wildcat. The reason for this post is that I have been gunsmithing for many years and this thing threw me a curve-ball and I have run out of options for now. If Fred Wells was still with us I could have talked with him and probably gotten an answer. The only other individual I know that would possibly have a clue is the same one that I lost his number and our mutual friends are dead or moved, so until I can get back to that neck of the woods I am S.O.L. Thanks for the brainstorming, I neglected to give you guys more background info and that was my fault.
Thanks
Mark
Old 02-15-2007, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All of the main English and Euro-continental gunmakers used surplus actions for building sporting rifles, this was long before the 98 and the 1903 began being used for sporting guns. As an example I have a 1892/3 Mannlicher that I too was having a hard time explaining. I researched for several months before finding a widely spread group of collectors that were able to shed some light on my mystery. My rifle has an seven sided receiver, barrel has a full rib, express sights. The stock is beautiful Walnut ,snabble forearm with Black horn accessories and a silver monogram plate on the underside of the stock. The receiver is engraved. I had a hard time finding anything about this model of Mannlicher other than it was refered to as a Roumanian Mannlicher. I later came to find out that all the main gunmakers in europe were in the habit of taking surplus actions usually from canceled contracts and making sporting rifles, and the 1892/3 was very popular. These were not used receivers. Many of the continental calibers also had British names given to them. It is possible that you have something along these lines. Great little carbine/scout rifles.
Old 02-16-2007, 6:14 AM

Tnis will be an interestimg one. I love a challenge! Once I get a chamber cast, I will see if there is room to grow. As long as there is no reason to retain any historical significance I will consider opening the chamber to something such as 7mm-08 or some less obscure wildcat. Don't fret though, I will do everthing I can to keep the original chambering just to keep people guessing.
Mark
Old 02-16-2007, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well you've certainly got my interest, I'll keep looking but let us know what you find.

Old 02-17-2007, 4:47 PM

I thank you guys for the interest, I will keep you informed. I will keep this short, I am dead tired from no sleep and working the gun show.
Later
Mark
Old 03-16-2007, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's been a couple of weeks. I have been curious about this since your original post. What were the chamber casting results?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Sorry I have not stayed in touch. A slight change of plans and some ill luck kept me busy and then the owner of the rifle got a sudden idea that the rifle was owned by a famous individual and is therefore worth obscene amounts of money. I called him out on it and have been waiting for documentation (which he has failed to produce) otherwise I am on hold to buy this thing and it kind of ticks me off. I have been tied up with a three week academy and did not have time to keep tabs on the forum. Thanks for the continued interest and I will try to be more social and keep tabs on the forum. I will admit that my interest was diverted by my outing with my 338 Lapua last week and I am still basking in that warm afterglow of a successful trip to the range. Although the evil side of me still chuckles at the memory of the first shot setting off a car alarm in the parking lot. I am still waiting for this guy to come back to earth and close the deal on this Mauser. I promise I will pass on any updates as they occur.
Mark