Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-23-2011, 8:45 PM

Default Laser sight on pocket pistol?

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on laser sights on a pocket pistol being carried as a primary self-defense weapon. Since there are competing philosophies as to where the "sweet spot" is in balancing concealability, stopping power, and reliability, I guess I should add I'm opting for a lightweight J-frame revolver (the S&W 642). I'm leaning against something like the Crimson Trace grips as being an unnecessary point of failure; best to KISS and train with the plain old iron sights.

I preferred the revolver over the pistol for its edge in reliability and its capability of being fired from a pocket (at the expense of some concealability), and went with my own personal minimum acceptable caliber in a primary self-defense revolver. I don't see myself carrying larger handguns as often as I might carry something small and light that fits in a pocket.

So what do you think? Are the advantages of a laser sight so powerful that they outweigh whatever added bulk and weight and dependence on fresh batteries that would go with it? Just checking.
Old 10-23-2011, 8:52 PM

A j frame revolver is good for concealed carry and close quarters shooting. With my snub nose I like to practice out to 7 yards max. A laser sight is good if you are not that great at point shooting.

I find it best to not try and aim those little guns with the sight, but train yourself into just knowing where to place your arm in relation to your body so that you can just point it. If the laser will help you train this way then go for it. It can also help people point shoot that dont have a lot of time or money to go to the range to practice

**I wish they made a grip for the beretta cheetah for my gf**

Last edited by HK4113; 11-15-2011 at 6:44 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 9:33 PM

just put a crimson on my airweight...I almost feel its better for my training on dryfire..especially with weak hand- your really can see where ur red dot moves when pulling trigger

Right hand pretty dam steady ..Left hand..crap I need practice..looks like im writing cursive.

Like HK said..for such a short barrel and close quarters its really point and shoot anyways. I was pretty impressed how tight my groups were at 7yds..just fired it for my first time today too! The paper plate was dead

follow up shots with red dot are pretty dam fast and accurate

I am very happy with the fit and size on the j frame- Bougth it brand new for $160 with tax
Old 10-23-2011, 9:35 PM

CT405 on a J frame is great!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paltik View Post
I'm leaning against something like the Crimson Trace grips as being an unnecessary point of failure; best to KISS and train with the plain old iron sights.
Personally I find I am much faster, but a little less accurate when shooting with a laser. Lasers are more picky about target distance then irons, so its hard to keep super tight groups, but I can reliably hit within about 3" of where I'm aiming between 7-14 yards with the laser.

As far as a point of failure, yes I agree with you. I would only put a Surefire or a Crimson Trace laser on a firearm. I do not trust any other makers (yet) to keep zeroed. My surefire has surivied about 3.5k rounds of 9mm and has not lost zero yet.

For HD the laser is staying on my gun.

For LTC it would depend on where I am going. If most of my time is outdoors during the day then the laser really isn't that useful. If most of my time is indoors or at night then a laser is something to look into, but only if I could find a good holster for it.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

IMO, Lasers are meant to give you a line of sight when otherwise you wouldn't have one. Such as, if you are knocked to the ground and cannot line the sights properly on target. I do not have them on my CC guns, but I never wanted to pay $300 for one either. To each his own. If I could get one for free or really cheap I would add it to one of my CC guns, if not, then it is not a big deal to me.
Old 10-26-2011, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Which model did you go with? I just put a 638 in jail today and was thinking about a CT, but all of the ones I saw were over $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
just put a crimson on my airweight...I almost feel its better for my training on dryfire..especially with weak hand- your really can see where ur red dot moves when pulling trigger

Right hand pretty dam steady ..Left hand..crap I need practice..looks like im writing cursive.

Like HK said..for such a short barrel and close quarters its really point and shoot anyways. I was pretty impressed how tight my groups were at 7yds..just fired it for my first time today too! The paper plate was dead

follow up shots with red dot are pretty dam fast and accurate

I am very happy with the fit and size on the j frame- Bougth it brand new for $160 with tax
Old 10-26-2011, 6:44 PM

J Frame...Good choice..., practice point shooting/front sight & with practice/muscle memory will also kick in!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM

not sure if you a re asking me..

Its the airweight sw .38

The crimson trace was bought at River City Gun Exchange- List price was $165- but they were doing %10 off

dont know model number- didn't know they made more then one(besides finish) for a j frame- Its not the fake wood ..its all black
Old 10-27-2011, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
not sure if you a re asking me..

Its the airweight sw .38

The crimson trace was bought at River City Gun Exchange- List price was $165- but they were doing %10 off

dont know model number- didn't know they made more then one(besides finish) for a j frame- Its not the fake wood ..its all black
You bought the LG-105. It's all hard-plastic.

I bought the LG-405, it's a boot grip style with a pocket behind the backstrap to help with recoil. Lastly the LG-305 is the largest.

Old 10-27-2011, 2:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So the differences are material and size? Lasers are all the same? Thanks for the picture.
Old 10-27-2011, 2:16 PM

I put a crimson trace laser on my Glock 26 and I think it works really well keeping me on target, but I notice it makes me lazy about getting good sight alignment.
Old 10-27-2011, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootHunter View Post
So the differences are material and size? Lasers are all the same? Thanks for the picture.
Lasers are the same. The LG-105 does not have a manual off switch that the other two have.
Old 10-27-2011, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

I have Crimson trace grips on my J frame. My Last CCW renewal I took a night course. My front sight literally disappeared in the dim light (back lit range). At that point, instinct aiming took over and I still managed to get on target but it was a LARGE ragged group waaaay off center.

I have since added Crimson trace grips to my S&W 640 and XS big dot sights and Crimson trace grips to my Kahr CW9, Mk9, PM9 and M9...Crimson trace on all but the PM9 it has XS sights.

Huge difference in target acquisition with the XS sights. Crimson trace gets me on mass very quickly.

Point shooting is handy if you practice often. It is a skill that degraded without practice.

Better sights and laser grips are a added edge and when were talking about my life, I want that edge!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 10-28-2011, 7:32 AM

Wow- dumb luck i got the smallest one. I wanted most compact - hell i shot well with it too