Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 4:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default CGF Sues San Mateo County Over Preempted Parks Carry Ban

Calguns Foundation Sues San Mateo County
Over Preempted Parks Carry Ban

San Carlos, CA (October 20, 2011) – As part of its ongoing Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative, the Calguns Foundation (CGF) announced that it has sued San Mateo County over their ban on the carry of firearms by those licensed to carry in San Mateo County Parks in a case entitled Early v. San Mateo County. California prohibits cities and counties from passing additional regulations regarding the licensure of firearms. Plaintiffs Grant Early and Gene Hoffman both hold state-wide licenses to carry firearms from their respective sheriffs in the counties where they reside.

CGF approached San Mateo County to request that the county simply add an exception to their ban on carrying a firearm in county parks for those who are licensed by the State of California to carry a firearm. The County refused to add the exception.

Those who hold carry licenses in California have had to show “good cause,” and complete a background check and training to obtain a permit from their sheriff or chief of police. In most cases “good cause” is a specific life threatening reason for their need to carry. However, in some counties the need for self defense is considered good cause to comport with the Constitution.

“My need to carry a firearm for self defense doesn’t stop at the edge of a county park,” said plaintiff Grant Early. “Mountain lions are common in San Mateo county parks as are predators of the two legged kind. I’m glad that the California Legislature saw fit to protect my right to keep and bear arms by requiring uniformity for carry licenses throughout the state.”

“Recently, San Francisco attempted to regulate the licensing of firearms and that attempt cost San Francisco more than $500,000.00 in legal costs to lose a court case,” stated Gene Hoffman, Chairman of CGF and a plaintiff. “Carry licenses were specifically highlighted in that case as being the type of state license that cities and counties had no authority to regulate. I certainly hope that San Mateo County comes to understand that it’s a bad idea to waste county taxpayer money to violate California law and limit fundamental individual rights.”

A copy of the complaint is available at http://bit.ly/earlyvsm.

About the Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative

CGF is working to compel government agencies to comply with the Constitution, to promote transparency in the process of issuing licenses, and to bring about a lawful and orderly way for California citizens to exercise self-defense. . Through its Richards v. Prieto case, CGF changed Sacramento County’s carry license issuance policy to allow any law-abiding resident of Sacramento County to obtain a license. The case continues against Sheriff Prieto and Yolo County in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to test the sheriff’s assertion that he has the sole discretion to decide to who may – and who may not -- exercise the right to self-defense. Additionally, CGF has sued Merced County in Rossow v. Merced for various unlawful policies and procedures required of its carry license applicants. Recently, CGF won a lawsuit against Ventura County who had refused to make public the “good causes” statements that some Ventura County residents had used to obtain carry permits from the sheriff in that county. CGF is working to make the right to carry the means of self-defense available for all law abiding Californians. The lives of people living in Los Angeles and San Francisco are no less deserving of the constitutional right of self-defense than the good people of Seattle, Portland, and 40 other states throughout the nation.

___

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California.

Gene Hoffman 650-275-1015
hoffmang@calgunsfoundation.org

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 10-20-2011, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Awesome! Does this also include the "open space preserves"?
Old 10-20-2011, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Ah so this is what you were talking about. Sounds like it should be a simple state preemption case. You are asking for a Preliminary Injunction right?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 10-20-2011, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Excellent. There are other localities that prohibit firearms in city parks with no provision for those who already have a license to carry wherein the ordinance requires a permit issued by the city police chief. If you are already licensed by the state to carry- why then would one need another permit to carry in a park?

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-20-2011, 4:54 PM

This seems on the face of it like a liberal knee-jerk reaction without good cause.

I'm sure CGF will win here (not saying it will be easy).

That reminds me, next time I have a few extra bucks I'm gonna have to donate to help you guys push these rights.

Good going CGF.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:00 PM
In Memoriam

Good. Hopefully success here will lay foundation for further elimination of these ordinances without lawsuit.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Awesome! Does this also include the "open space preserves"?
The same logic will apply and we will then move around the state applying that logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Ah so this is what you were talking about. Sounds like it should be a simple state preemption case. You are asking for a Preliminary Injunction right?
We will move quickly on this as Fiscal controls.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 10-20-2011, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice, go get em CGF!

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Then on to other Bay Area counties, hopefully Santa Clara count next.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/137..._SB14-31.1FIWE

Quote:
Sec. B14-31.1. - Firearms and weapons.

(a)

No person shall have in his possession, set, leave or deposit, fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged, across, in, on or into County park lands any weapon, spear, missile, sling shot, trap or hunting device, air or gas weapon, throwing knife or axe, or any other weapon or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal, damaging any property or natural resource, except in areas established for such use or while in direct transit to or from such areas and available parking .
(b-f doesn't give any exemptions save for specific areas designated for firearms use. The code is under Parks - General Conduct. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for any exemption for officials?)
Damned criminals! When will they learn that they can't carry guns in prohibited places? I call for a ban on criminals! With a ban on criminals in place we will be assured that this kind of thing can't happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
To wish for Utopia is understandable, but it cannot be legislated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS
I wanna have SAF's babies.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:34 PM

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can” Samual Adams
Old 10-20-2011, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

in another words
"I kick ***" stated Gene Hoffman, Chairman of CGF and a plaintiff.

Chickens

Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

PM me Wouxun 2M radio 4 Sale
Old 10-20-2011, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The city of Bakersfield has a similar restriction:

12.56.050 Prohibited acts in parks.
Within the limits of any park, it is unlawful for any person, other than a duly authorized city employee in the performance of his or her duty, to do any of the following:

.................................................. ..................

I. Take into, exhibit, use or discharge any firearm, weapon, air gun or slingshot;

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 10-20-2011, 7:14 PM

Nothing much is gonna happen in SCC until Scocca v Smith goes somewhere. Unless somehow we can have more than lawsuit against them at the same time w/o getting them joined or delayed.
x7
Old 10-20-2011, 7:22 PM

A preemption case... Genius. A win here will set a great example to all the other municipalities with similar laws.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

-Brandon
Old 10-20-2011, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrisnet View Post
Nothing much is gonna happen in SCC until Scocca v Smith goes somewhere. Unless somehow we can have more than lawsuit against them at the same time w/o getting them joined or delayed.
This issue is discreet and separate from the equal protections case against Santa Clara. They'll be asked to change their parks regs too and will get to choose between complying and paying our legal fees also.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 10-20-2011, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
A preemption case... Genius. A win here will set a great example to all the other municipalities with similar laws.

Old 10-20-2011, 7:46 PM

Nice

NRA Member for life

Semper Sometimes – appropriation of Semper Fi used to deride the part-time nature of service in the Marine Corps Reserve. ARAH!!!

I used to make jokes... But then I lost my sense of humor in a boating accident.
Old 10-20-2011, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

All of us should be searching or own city and county municipal codes for similar violations
Old 10-20-2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
All of us should be searching or own city and county municipal codes for similar violations
I would imagine that this could be problematic.

City of Lomita

9.16.050 - Carrying concealed weapons.

It is unlawful for any person except a duly elected or appointed peace officer to carry concealed upon or about his person any revolver, pistol, dagger, dirk, locking-blade knife, slug or sling shot, billy or other deadly weapon or instrument without first having obtained a written permit from the sheriff of the county of Los Angeles.
Old 10-20-2011, 8:34 PM

Very good. I love it! So much win here!

Old 10-20-2011, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Great case, very good case.

Let's hold off on looking through the legal codes until we are further along in Early or as specifically directed.
Old 10-20-2011, 8:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe2150 View Post
I would imagine that this could be problematic.

City of Lomita

9.16.050 - Carrying concealed weapons.

It is unlawful for any person except a duly elected or appointed peace officer to carry concealed upon or about his person any revolver, pistol, dagger, dirk, locking-blade knife, slug or sling shot, billy or other deadly weapon or instrument without first having obtained a written permit from the sheriff of the county of Los Angeles.
Problematic how? The statute that you cited is clearly unlawful. You found it in a matter of minutes and posted it here. There are now nearly 100,000 Calgunners that could easily do the same in their city. Where's the problem?

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 10-20-2011, 8:56 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
The statute that you cited is clearly unlawful.
Not exactly yet.

Finding local ordinances that violate rights is not difficult. Win this one............foundation and traction.
Old 10-20-2011, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We have a forthcoming fire mission for just this purpose...

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Great case, very good case.

Let's hold off on looking through the legal codes until we are further along in Early or as specifically directed.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-20-2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We have a forthcoming fire mission for just this purpose...

-Brandon
A really long mailing lost perhaps?

-Brandon
Old 10-20-2011, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
Problematic how? The statute that you cited is clearly unlawful. You found it in a matter of minutes and posted it here. There are now nearly 100,000 Calgunners that could easily do the same in their city. Where's the problem?
Problematic for the city. I should have specified.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

A small, but important step.

May many other steps follow in ....

Quote:
“Mountain lions are common in San Mateo county parks as are predators of the two legged kind. I’m glad that the California Legislature saw fit to protect my right to keep and bear arms by requiring uniformity for carry licenses throughout the state.”
Off Topic: The odds are your first indication that a mountain lion may attack you is the feeling of fangs in the back of your skull and neck and claws tearing into your back and shoulders. Those are sneaky sons of a gun!

If I were in mountain lion country, I'd want to open carry two 4" 7-shot L-frames w/.357 mag AND two large fixed bladed (at least 6" blades) knives. Why two of each? Because you want to be able to get to them w/either hand. 4" barrels are short enough to maneuver while wrestling w/the beast and I'd carry revolvers so that shooting "muzzle to meat" won't be a problem.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 10-20-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM

psst...Sac County, you listening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Excellent. There are other localities that prohibit firearms in city parks with no provision for those who already have a license to carry wherein the ordinance requires a permit issued by the city police chief. If you are already licensed by the state to carry- why then would one need another permit to carry in a park?
Yeah, like Los Angeles County. They have an ordinance prohibiting carry of firearms in county parks. If they win this one, the rest of the counties with similar ordinances should fall like dominoes.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I love how Gene is personally a plaintiff here, as if he's walking up and slapping them right across the face this time instead of just releasing the hounds
Old 10-21-2011, 5:07 AM
Veteran Member

I especially like that Gene is a plaintiff for several reasons, one of which is an EXTREMELY good thing, and proves that anyone can be similarly situated (so long as they're clean, and of the right fit of course).

Thanks CGF.

Erik.
Old 10-21-2011, 5:49 AM
Calguns Addict

In the second claim for relief there is a significant typo. It states that the relief sought "includes but be limited to..." rather than" includes but NOT be limited to..."
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 10-21-2011, 6:15 AM

Default LTC in Parks

Great, now the visitors may soon be able to pack, but the Rangers are still unarmed. Can't even carry handcuffs or pepper spray. Many a day I had to transport $12-20k of cash to the Treasurer's Office for deposit while unarmed, on multiple days a week. Even the coin collectors working city parking meters packed in the old days. The County wouldn't let us deposit cash in a local bank, or hire an armored car service. Not to mention safety of dealing with assault and battery, DV, child molestation, drug and mentally deranged cases. They even discovered a pot growing operation in Huddart Park, but medical marijuana has probably killed that business. Been living on luck for a long time. Even the S.F. Watershed tenders working in San Mateo County were deputized and carried. They are really anti-gun and self-defense.

Given that, the County will fight the whole way - go get 'em.
Old 10-21-2011, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Is there a difference between county parks and county fairgrounds? Are they both county property?
Old 10-21-2011, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIO GETS GOOSED!!! View Post
Is there a difference between county parks and county fairgrounds? Are they both county property?
Very good question. I would imagine that if they are the same (as far as property), could this effect Nordyke?

Erik.
Old 10-21-2011, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

I was thinking the other way around.
Old 10-21-2011, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You know, it's really scary when by only two sentences, I can figure out what your angle is.

From Nordyke II:

But even if we accept the Nordykes' argument that in at least some cases the Legislature meant to preempt local governments from criminalizing the possession of firearms by certain classes of people, that would establish at most that the Ordinance is partially preempted with respect to those classes. Partial preemption does not invalidate the Ordinance as a whole.

In sum, whether or not the Ordinance is partially preempted, Alameda County has the authority to prohibit the operation of gun shows held on its property, and, at least to that extent, may ban possession of guns on its property.

There is a reason Alameda County allows people with LTC's, including LTC's of other counties which issue freely (such Sacramento, El Dorado, Sutter, etc), to carry there, due to the fear of the preemptive nature of GC53071. Though I'm sure that San Mateo will likely make the same argument you're thinking in your head, the fact that one of their sister counties (in fact, the county which San Mateo copied Alameda's gun possession ban word for word on fairgrounds property) exempts LTC holders is telling.

They also aren't asking for a complete invalidation, just that state law partially preempts law in regards to LTC holders. There is no "state gun show" license as far as I have seen, there is a state LTC, however.

UPDATE: Just checked again here, no state gun show license exists.

I also checked the Gun Show Enforcement Act of 2000. It says:

(a) No person shall produce, promote, sponsor, operate, or otherwise organize a gun show or event, as specified in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) of Section 12071, unless that person possesses a valid certificate of eligibility from the Department of Justice. Unless the department's records indicate that the applicant is a person prohibited from possessing firearms, a certificate of eligibility shall be issued by the Department of Justice to an applicant provided the applicant does all of the following:

A certificate is not a license. Words matter.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 10-21-2011 at 9:42 AM..
Old 10-21-2011, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Haha. In Nordyke the issue of carry was not before the court. It was about acquisition of arms on county property. With this case carry is before the court. There is a difference.

Old 10-21-2011, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Haha. In Nordyke the issue of carry was not before the court. It was about acquisition of arms on county property. With this case carry is before the court. There is a difference.
It's actually simplier than that. The thing the DOJ issues to allow for a person to run a gun show is not a license, it is a certificate. Words matter.
Old 10-21-2011, 9:49 AM

Insert ::Likes This:: button here! Great work as always!
Closed Thread