Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-14-2011, 1:20 PM

Default AR bolt catch/release issues. Advice needed

So, here's my delema.

I recently purchased a built stag lower through a PPT. Everything seemed in order, but upon installing the upper I noticed that the bolt catch was very close to the upper, so close that you are not able to manipulate the button. It seems that the bolt catch spring is pushing the bolt catch up, which is not allowing the bolt to stay to the rear unless the mag is installed or I pull on the bolt catch button, Also when I install a new mag and use the bolt catch to release the bolt, even though the mag is properly seated, the bolt goes into battery but the first round remains in the mag causing me to use the charging handle.
Does anybody have any insight as to what the issue/s could be? with a mag installed the bolt locks back even upon shooting it dry, but it is very difficult to lock the bolt without a mag, and as stated the bolt catch looks to be naturally siting in a position that it should be in when it is pressed down,

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. My theory is that a couple springs were installed in the wrong places. Maby disconnect and bolt catch springs?

Il try to take pics again but could not take any that really showed the issues.

Thanks cal guns,
Awall919
Old 10-14-2011, 1:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Really you need to remove the bolt catch and see whats going on.

Was this factory built or home?
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890
Old 10-14-2011, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

sounds like you have a good idea what is wrong. .... I am afraid to ask... Who sold you this and where did they say they got it from?
Old 10-14-2011, 2:28 PM

It was a home build I purchased from another cal-gunner a couple months back. Though this is a rather troublesome issue, the cost and ease of sale compensated for the issue. I assumed taking the bolt catch apart would be the best/only option but wanted to ask a bit before i started taring it apart, (my least favorite about building a lower). If anybody else has had a similar problem or have another opinion I'd love to hear them.

Dieselpower: I figured that some springs were not put in the right places. Your response has deepened my assumption that the issue lies there. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2011, 2:28 PM

It was a home build I purchased from another cal-gunner a couple months back. Though this is a rather troublesome issue, the cost and ease of sale compensated for the issue. I assumed taking the bolt catch apart would be the best/only option but wanted to ask a bit before i started taring it apart, (my least favorite about building a lower). If anybody else has had a similar problem or have another opinion I'd love to hear them.

Dieselpower: I figured that some springs were not put in the right places. Your response has deepened my assumption that the issue lies there. Thank you.

EDIT: Darn slow computer... Sorry for the double post
Old 10-14-2011, 2:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You would be amazed at the things I have seen some people do.
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890
Old 10-14-2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Krynn View Post
You would be amazed at the things I have seen some people do.
Haha, that doesn't surprise me in the least. I think this may be the last time I PPT a "new" complete lower.
Old 10-14-2011, 3:41 PM

I have encountered this issue too. Have Cavalry Arms polymer lower, when using regular 10/10 c-products magazines, no issues. 10/20 pmags, no issue. I have stubby 10/10 PMAG and I have what you described. Seems the bolt catch won't engage. The 10/10 pmag really should be just 9 rounds. It seems the 10th round is not engaging the bolt catch and the catch does not work at all.

The 10/10 pmag works fine in my Sig 556.