Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-13-2011, 4:12 PM
Banned

Default wilson combat compensator (1911)

Does anyone have the wilson combat compensator for 1911s? Since its illegal to thread barrels in california, this bushing compensator looks like the most logical, legal purchase. If you have any pros and cons, please let me know.
Old 10-13-2011, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

I have one. It has a nice tight fit to maintain accuracy after fitting it with a little light sanding. I think it does a decent job of recoil control. Its anyones guess as to why. Some think it actually brakes recoil, and others think it just adds some weight up front. I think Im going to sell mine if you want to try one without spending a bunch of money. PM if so.
Old 10-13-2011, 6:08 PM
Banned

I have a Sig 1911. And would be interested. Message me with the price. Is It stainless?
Old 10-13-2011, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Waste of money. All it does is add length to the gun and weight up front. If you want soften up the recoil of 45 acp by adding weight just get a tungsten full length recoil guide rod. If that's not enough have your barrel sleeved ala bull barrel.

Close tolerance of the bullet exit hole to the actual diameter of the bullet is a big factor in making the comp ports work. The 45 acp does not have enough pressure to make those baffle walls and ports work.

I based this on my experience of 10+ years experimenting with compensators in USPSA Open class and 38 super/comp, and seen a few folks with those type of bushing comp. I actually shot one with the owner of the gun loading up some 155 grain with medium burning pistol powder such as HS6 and HS7.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 10-13-2011 at 6:40 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Waste of money. All it does is add length to the gun and weight up front. If you want soften up the recoil of 45 acp by adding weight just get a tungsten full length recoil guide rod. If that's not enough have your barrel sleeved ala bull barrel.

Close tolerance of the bullet exit hole to the actual diameter of the bullet is a big factor in making the comp ports work. The 45 acp does not have enough pressure to make those baffle walls and ports work.

I based this on my experience of 10+ years experimenting with compensators in USPSA Open class and 38 super/comp, and seen a few folks with those type of bushing comp. I actually shot one with the owner of the gun loading up some 155 grain with medium burning pistol powder such as HS6 and HS7.
ditto that dont spend the money. its more for looks than anything else. I know quite a few 1911 competition shooters who laugh when the issue of compensators comes up. as jtrocks said pressures are to low in the 45 auto
Old 10-13-2011, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig1911 View Post
I have a Sig 1911. And would be interested. Message me with the price. Is It stainless?
Or you can just google it.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Multi-Co...ductinfo/397S/

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**
Old 10-13-2011, 8:05 PM

I have a full profile compensated 1911 .45 I built in the late 80's and it does reduce recoil and muzzle jump significantly with my hot handloaded 155 gr. SWCs. That being said, .38 Supers and other high pressure rounds will benefit more from a compensator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post

Old 10-13-2011, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

I have a compensated barrel on my custom Essex 1911, it has noticeably less felt recoil than my GSR.
Old 10-14-2011, 6:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

I was thinking of getting a ported barrel for my 1911...Any more feedback on this. I can see it being beneficial...

Ingram...My ex told me she and her husband finally had to put down our Corgi...That pup you have reminds me of him.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 10-14-2011, 6:39 AM

Ideally you want to threaded your barrel and screw on the compensator. But I am not going to put that money down for a comp. I tried out the bushing comp (PARRISH) for my GSR. Its work!!! I was amaze its work that well for the cost.
Old 10-14-2011, 7:46 AM
Banned

how much does it cost to get your barrel ported?
Old 10-14-2011, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I had one, gave it to my brother after I sold him my 1911. Recoil felt the same as did muzzle rise. It looked cool, which was 90% of the reason I bought it, but it didn't do anything. After the novelty of it went away I removed it and never used it again. Brother did the same after a couple months.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A lot considering you have to have the slide ported out as well.

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**
Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I was thinking of getting a ported barrel for my 1911...Any more feedback on this. I can see it being beneficial...

Ingram...My ex told me she and her husband finally had to put down our Corgi...That pup you have reminds me of him.
That is sad, sorry to hear that. How old was their corgi?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Springfield will do for around $600. You might as well make a custom gun if you are going to pump that much money in to a firearm.