Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-13-2011, 2:17 PM

Default Long Eye Relief Scope for Mosin Nagant??

Hey all,

I have a Mosin 91/30 "BIG 5 Special". I have it in a nice Boyds wood stock and am looking for a LER scope for it.

Nothing really unique about the Mosin so I'm not TOTALLY opposed to using the ATI scope mount that has you tap the receiver. BUT, if I don't have to, I would rather not. It would be nice to have everything totally reversible.

Don't know much at all about LER scopes, "scout scopes", etc.

I put the Leapers "tactical" tri rail mount on it, and just left off the side rails. It just mounts onto the rear site of the rifle. Has good reviews.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...nt-mntr01.html

But mounting a scope on it without replacing the original bolt handle with a turned down bolt handle means I need a scope with at least 10 inches of eye relief. What I have found mostly are the NC Star "Pistolero" Scopes having around that amount of eye relief.

Don't know much about NC Star. Cheap prices, seem to have good reviews.

I know the golden rule is to not cheap out on your optics, but in this case it really is just not worth it to put really nice glass on this gun. It would defeat the whole purpose of an inexpensive hunting rifle.

Any suggestions? Don't want to spend more than $100. If all I can get for that is some POS that won't hold zero I'll have to go for the receiver mount.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Take care,
831S
Old 10-13-2011, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

low magnification(2-4x) "scout" scopes are what you're looking for.

You have to consider two things though. You want something that isn't a POS that won't hold zero, and you want to use it on a mosin...

You're going to need to increase what you're willing to spend. $250-$300 or so wouldn't be unreasonable for what you're asking for, otherwise you're just wasting money.
Old 10-13-2011, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
low magnification(2-4x) "scout" scopes are what you're looking for.

You have to consider two things though. You want something that isn't a POS that won't hold zero, and you want to use it on a mosin...

You're going to need to increase what you're willing to spend. $250-$300 or so wouldn't be unreasonable for what you're asking for, otherwise you're just wasting money.
Thanks Merc.. I just can't bring myself to spend 3 bills on a scope for a $100 rifle.. More due to the fact that most likely I won't have any other gun with a need for a approx 10" eye relief.

Before I dropped that kind of money on a scout scope I would probably go with a red dot. Or, tap the receiver and get a normal eye relief scope. In either case I would then be spending money on an optic I can use on my other guns.

The NC Star "Pistelero" series I see are obviously cheapos at $50-60 bucks. They do have 10 inches of eye relief and for whatever reason I am seeing good reviews most places that sell them. Optics Planet, etc. A good majority of the reviews also seem to be coming from other people mounting them on Mosins and saying they hold zero. Granted they are people who are buying $50 scopes.. But then again, I wouldn't normally be looking for a scope that cheap either. But in the case of the Mosin it makes sense to not really want to spend alot.

I may just have to order one from Amazon and try it out. They will let you return it, even it's been mounted, etc. so no loss except some time.

If all else fails I can just shoot iron sites..
Old 10-13-2011, 4:33 PM

I thought you could get an ok scope for about $100... Not sure about the bolt, I haven't picked mine up from jail yet :'(
"It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace; but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry
Old 10-13-2011, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are some cheap scopes that do work alright, but nothing I'd trust with the recoil of a mosin or anything with a similar round(at least in that price range for scopes). You're also right that putting a $300 scope on a $100 rifle seems silly, I wouldn't do it either. On a mosin, frankly I'd just stick with the irons.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Take a look at this NcStar Pistolero scope:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-p...-spb2732b.html
Whenever someone needs a cheep scope for their Mosin Nagant I recommend this one. Read the reviews. The scope holds up surprisingly well!

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!