Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-09-2007, 9:24 PM

Default Ear protection?....U.S. troops in Iraq

What kind of ear protection do our troops in Iraq use while out on patrol? I'm assuming that it allows to them hear subtle noises around them, but protects their eardrums as well.
Old 02-09-2007, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Hearing pro issued, not worn.
Old 02-10-2007, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

I used an earplug in my right ear only, left ear was wide open

FS Fortis Rev Free float 12" AR-15 Rail BNIB
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1197385
Old 02-10-2007, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I have always wondered about this!

For one, if you fire a 5.56 inside a house to clear it, it would be so loud and damaging to your ears.

But if you wear ear protection, then, you can hear all the noises and/or communications with your teammates, and your Ts can just sneak up on you....

2 edged sword problem....
Old 02-10-2007, 9:21 AM

Simple solution!

Check out http://www.protectear.com/

I use the vented db blockers and they are amazing. The vented db blockers have filters in them that allow you to hear a normal conversation but filter out sounds that exceed the set db level. They are a little on the expensive side but worth it since they are so comfortable that you sometimes forget that you are wearing them, and they last for 5 years or so.

...Robert...
www.OutfittersSurplus-Gifts.com
Old 02-10-2007, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stuff?
Simple solution!

Check out http://www.protectear.com/

I use the vented db blockers and they are amazing. The vented db blockers have filters in them that allow you to hear a normal conversation but filter out sounds that exceed the set db level. They are a little on the expensive side but worth it since they are so comfortable that you sometimes forget that you are wearing them, and they last for 5 years or so.

...Robert...
are these custom fit and how much did you pay thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecds01
are these custom fit and how much did you pay thanks

A foam type material is injected into each ear and a mold is made. The medical grade silicone earplugs are made from these molds. They fit into the ear canal so well that they actually "twist" into the ear, they fit snug but not uncomfortably tight, and they dont fall out.

Mine were paid for by a former employer and took about 5 weeks to get. I think the cost is @ $200. This was a few years ago. I have no idea what the cost is now. Also, I have The vented db blockers which is a bit more expensive. These actually have small interchangable db filters inside the actual ear plug. Good for using the same earplug in different applications.

Most of the cost is in the mold making process. They keep your molds for 5 years (IIRC) and you can get a second pair and/or replacements for a significantly lower cost during that time.

...Robert...
Old 02-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stuff?
A foam type material is injected into each ear and a mold is made. The medical grade silicone earplugs are made from these molds. They fit into the ear canal so well that they actually "twist" into the ear, they fit snug but not uncomfortably tight, and they dont fall out.

Mine were paid for by a former employer and took about 5 weeks to get. I think the cost is @ $200. This was a few years ago. I have no idea what the cost is now. Also, I have The vented db blockers which is a bit more expensive. These actually have small interchangable db filters inside the actual ear plug. Good for using the same earplug in different applications.

Most of the cost is in the mold making process. They keep your molds for 5 years (IIRC) and you can get a second pair and/or replacements for a significantly lower cost during that time.

...Robert...
thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI-M1
What kind of ear protection do our troops in Iraq use while out on patrol? I'm assuming that it allows to them hear subtle noises around them, but protects their eardrums as well.
MSA MICH communication system.

or in civilian world called Sordin Supreme

Old 02-10-2007, 1:30 PM

Its really hard to believe pro-ears hasent come up with a combat-ready version of their product. Their electronic package is very durrible, extremely effective at protecting your hearing, and you can actually hear more quiet sounds wearing them when when you're not. Seems like a huge gaping hole in the market that could be filled.
Old 02-10-2007, 2:11 PM

It's not that easy. The Sordin has been modified to channel radio communication while not killing the ambient sound. Quite a few manufacturer did it wrong and soldiers can not accept comms breaking their SA.
You also have to modify the profile to fit under the standard helmet while have enough battery to last for long period of use.
Old 02-10-2007, 2:48 PM

Military Ear Plugs

These are the type we were issued (or at least identical to this) and they worked great. Most of the time I would pull the plug out just a bit to improve hearing, but could easily push it back in if the SHTF.

Oh, and IEDs exploding automatically cram them deep in your ears from the pressure.

F.A.S. Out
Cold War Vet (U.S. Army Infantry: 1984-1988); GWOT & Iraqi War Vet (CAANG 2002-2008 - Infantry; OIF III)
NRA Member

http://www.milprom.com/American/Combat-infantry-badge-1-small.jpg