Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-12-2011, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.
Default Savage Model 10 FCP-SR

Model 10 FCP-SR 19480S

Almost bought this today...I was going to go Remy M700 SPS Tactical .308 however, I have shot M700s and love them. Set up my friend's Remy M700 which he loves. However, I miss my Remy XR-100 and its accuracy. Not thinking of putting much more than a Leupold or Millet scope, Harris bipod, and comp (barrel end is threaded and I like that). That is all. I do not care about weight, add ons are listed above, or anything else.

Solid gun, good heft, well made, extremely light trigger, action is not as smooth as Remy but I know that from Savage and Remy talks. The magazine is nice but they are like $100 a pop. The gun itself is $1100 or $1050. I would save more on the SPS which is almost $400 less which could go toward a nice scope. The stock is nice and different from my norm of tactical and wood.

Does anyone own one or similar? Give me feedback on the FCP series if you own one. I have shot Savage before and am going to the range to see if one of the regulars has one since the last time I shot one was in WA and I liked it. The SPS is .5 MOA out of the box and I have done that...That is hard to beat but getting this would be different for sure.

My other option is the M700 SPS $680
Or one of those Atlantic Arm M70 Yugo rifles which is $1000

Thanks in advance.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.

Last edited by ZX-10R; 10-12-2011 at 4:54 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 5:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just spray and prayers here I assume? But I expected that from the rifle posts I have seen.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Old 10-13-2011, 9:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Accuracy of a savage is great and can keep up with a lot of remy's if not better. The 100 dollar mag shouldnt bother you seeing as an SPS doesnt even have a mag and the savage is going to come with at least one. Also, its a bolt gun, you really need multiple mags anyways, you arent going to be using it for sustained fire right? I like savages and they have a model that will fit in different tiers of budgets.
Old 10-14-2011, 5:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've decided to get the gun this weekend. Thanks Maddog...I read some reviews on FCPs on other sites. Remy and Savage rule the roost. A few Tikka words which were great but not enough to warrant me considering it. I ran the numbers as well...Remy M700 and then Mag conversion is close to the same price...The thing that makes this better is the threaded barrel. Granted stocks become less of an option since there are more Remy out there, I found one I could deal with for $650. The drawback is the mag since optional mags for Remy would be ~$65. Also, for hunting this is 10rd and I need to either fill one with empty shells or load 1 round at a time like my XR.

Done deal thank you.
Old 10-14-2011, 8:40 AM

I've been looking around for the 10 FCP-SR and can't find one anywhere.
Would you mind sharing where you located one to buy? I'm in the SF So Bay area.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 8:48 AM

Here's my post from another thread on the Savage 10 Precision Carbine (very similar to the 10 FCP-SR).
I've since added:
TPS 0 MOA Base
TPS Medium 30mm Rings
Vltor FH/Brake
SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 Scope

I'm shooting 0.5 MOA or less in 3 round groups with 168gr Federal Gold Match Ammo.

I'm not sure if I'll add a bi-pod or not.

You may also want to look at the FN PBR in your considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc002 View Post
I just went throught this same decision process, I was deciding between a Rem 700, Tikka T3 and Savage 10 in .308.
Why .308? Because I have other firearms in that caliber, ammo is readily available, I already reload for it, and it can realistically take most North American game.

I decided by asking & answering the following questions and after reading TONS of information, reviews, etc. for a few months:
1) What was I really going to use it for and what distances was I really going to shoot at?
2) Was I really willing to make modifications (stock, trigger, barrel, bolt, detachable box magazine, etc) or was that a pipedream inspired by all the tacti-cool talk here and places like Snipers Hide?
3) What was I willing to pay?

1) I wanted a rifle that was a "jack-of-all-trades".
I wanted to hunt with the rifle - so weight was important (This meant fancy target shooter stocks were out - And may I say "whew", my wallet thanked me!)
I didn't want to bench rest rifle (punching paper is incredibly boring to me, but bless you guys that enjoy it!), but I wanted a 1 MOA rifle - so out of the box accuracy was important.
Essentially I wanted a rifle that could accurately get out to 600+ yards, but I didn't really care about trying to punch paper at 1000 yards.
Most likely, I'd be shooting it between 30 yards and 300 yards.

2) No, I didn't want a rifle I had to tinker with, but having one I could work on was a benefit.
As noted above, I didn't want a fancy bench rest stock, so I wouldn't be replacing the stock.
I wanted a good trigger.
I didn't really care about an oversized bolt handle, but a smooth action would be nice.
I never plan on changing out barrels, I doubt I'll ever shoot over 5,000~10,000 rounds and burn the barrel out.
I did like the idea of a detachable magazine.
A threaded barrel was also appealing.

3) I was willing to pay up to $1,000 if that's how my decision process went.

So looking at everything, here's how the rifles faired in my opinion:

General Model Selection) My rifle would have lower weight and a less than 22" barrel. This meant a Tikka T3 Lite, Savage 10 Precision Carbine or Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD/700 LTR Police were my comparison group.

1) 1 MOA accuracy out of the box? All of these models claim it (Tikka guarantees 1MOA out of the box), all of the models have anecdotal horror stories about terrible groups out of the box, all of these models have their fan-bois too. However, without modifications, the one I found to have the most positive reviews about out of the box performance was the Savage 10. Edge:Savage & Tikka

2) Parts: Remington 700 hands down has the most aftermarket parts available (just look at Midway!) so it would be the easiest to work on. Edge Remington
Stock: I wasn't replacing the stock so who had the best off the shelf? The Remington is not mounted well, often not truly free floated because of loose assembly tolerances and almost everyone replaces it. The Tikka was ~ok~, it felt pretty nice in the store. The new Savage Accustock had rave reviews and a very good free floated system and fit me well in the store. Edge: Savage
Trigger: Remington's latest trigger seems to be ~ok~, lots of replacements going on out there. Not much info on Tikka's so I inferred it was relatively good. Savage's Accutriger with adjustable pull was very appealing. Edge: Savage
Bolt: Savage's actions are gritty. Remington are hit or miss. Tikka's are like butter. Edge: Tikka
Barrel: It should be noted that the Tikka has an odd rate of twist (1:11), geared to heavier (175gr) bullets. Edge: Remington & Savage
Detachable Magazine: $200~$300 to install one for the Remington. Tikka and Savage already have it. Edge: Savage & Tikka
Threaded Barrel: Only the Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD and Savage 10 Precision Carbine comes with it stock (note that not ALL Savage 10 Precision Carbines have this stock, there is a submodel with it). Edge: Remington & Savage

4)Price (based on Bud's prices):
Tikka T3 Lite: $525
Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD: $599
Savage 10 Precision Carbine (threaded barrel): $782
Remington 700 LTR Police: $945

Summary of Category Wins:
Tikka: 3
Remington: 3
Savage: 6

Based on my criteria, I could toss the 700 LTR. It wasn't significantly better than the other three and for the highest price out there, well it was an easy decision.
Although I didn't plan a lot of mods, I did want the ability to do some if I ever got the urge, so despite it's good performance elsewhere in my criteria, the Tikka was eliminated (plus I don't like their rate of twist in the barrel).

Now between the SPS and the 10?
Savage edged out the Remington as a leader in more categories, but was it worth $183? I decided maybe it was, but either would suit my needs well.
Ultimately I found a used Savage 10 Precision Carbine for $599 and bought it.

As to glass, based on my particular needs I will be running either a 3-9 or 4-12 on this rifle. I ordered an EGW base, TPS rings and am still deciding on the glass. Most likely I'll go for a Bushnell 4200, Super Sniper or Vortex Viper.

I hope this helps!

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey

Last edited by emc002; 10-14-2011 at 8:53 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I've decided to get the gun this weekend. Thanks Maddog...I read some reviews on FCPs on other sites. Remy and Savage rule the roost. A few Tikka words which were great but not enough to warrant me considering it. I ran the numbers as well...Remy M700 and then Mag conversion is close to the same price...The thing that makes this better is the threaded barrel. Granted stocks become less of an option since there are more Remy out there, I found one I could deal with for $650. The drawback is the mag since optional mags for Remy would be ~$65. Also, for hunting this is 10rd and I need to either fill one with empty shells or load 1 round at a time like my XR.

Done deal thank you.
depends on where you hunt. I do not believe there is a round limit for rifle hunting in california
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post

Thanks
My guess is Turners. I saw one there the other day!

OP, If you're not going to shoot any tactical match with it then the Savage is a very accurate gun to have.
Old 10-14-2011, 4:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post

Thanks
I live in the Bay Area but work the week in SoCal LA/ Irvine...So I get to shop at turners. You guys can easily drive down for a weekend of dining and sight seeing and go gun shopping.

Turners had a few for sure. It was very well made...Plus I set up my friend's M700...It would be terrible having the same gun when we are always trying to one up each other.
Old 10-14-2011, 4:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc002 View Post
Here's my post from another thread on the Savage 10 Precision Carbine (very similar to the 10 FCP-SR).
I've since added:
TPS 0 MOA Base
TPS Medium 30mm Rings
Vltor FH/Brake
SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 Scope

I'm shooting 0.5 MOA or less in 3 round groups with 168gr Federal Gold Match Ammo.

I'm not sure if I'll add a bi-pod or not.

You may also want to look at the FN PBR in your considerations.
That helps brother. Thank you. I want this rifle because I have shot a Remy XR which was their most accurate easy to get rifle IMO before you go to a 40x series. I shot that thing accurately sub MOA and I had it in .223. Knowing that, I though heck I have shot Savages and liked them but never owned one...So guess what...I will get the Savage. I can always get the Remy and have access to one anyways. The thing is huge and the action not as smooth but I am a grown man...Weight is not a problem since nothing matches a fully loaded PSL.

I am thinking a Millet LRS-1...However, I am looking at Leupold as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
My guess is Turners. I saw one there the other day!

OP, If you're not going to shoot any tactical match with it then the Savage is a very accurate gun to have.
You never know...Yeah I am pretty much decided. Thanks bro.
Old 10-14-2011, 6:02 PM

How much was it out the door? I might just put my 5.7x28 FNH pistol up for sale to get one of these