Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-11-2011, 6:31 PM

Default Remington 720

I picked up a couple old rem rifles last year one was a 141 game master 35 rem 1938 and the other I thought was an old deer gun 30.06. Well today I took a good look at it and it is a model 720 A .It came with a lymann48r peep sight and a lyman Alaska scope and redfield mount.Lyman 48r is new in box w/instructions price on box is 11.50 ,very old. Any info on this rifle?
Old 10-11-2011, 8:01 PM

Well - what do you want to know?

The 720 is based upon the 1917 military rifle - it is strong as heck - more accurate than I am - and is a beautiful rifle.

It has a neat story to tell as well (and I am condensing a bunch)

In 1941 Remington releases the model 720 in 30-06, 257 Roberts, and 270 Winchester. Barrel lengths 20" 22" 24". Several sight configurations including Lyman #48.

They start being sold on the open market when that little unpleasantry at Pearl Harbor happens.

The US Navy contact Remington and says we need rifles - Remington says well we'd like to help but the line is all setup for these 720's - so the Navy says "We'll buy em all - now start war production"

Remington puts the 720's together and sends them to the Navy - they don't know what to do with them so they pack them away next to the Ark of the Covenant (sorry different story).

Fast forward to the late 60's - they Navy is cleaning up the warehouse and comes across these rifles (roughly 1,000 of them) - "Yo Chief, whadda we do with these old hunt'n rifles?" "I don't wanna count em - destroy'em" - - well a couple of well placed competitive shooters hear this and run to the Secretary of the Navy. They convince him that he will be enshrined forever in shooting history if he "awards" these rifles to the top Navy / Marine shooters. Being vain as heck - he agrees... so the Navy / Marines start handing them out to VERY high placed shooters. Brand New - In the Box - Never molested Rifles - they are a true piece of art. They engrave the floor plate on some - others they don't (too darn lazy after a while).

So Remington 720's can still be found brand new.....

Now on the civilian side - 1400 or so rifles get sold to the public. Smart hunters know they are really cool guns so they hunt the living snot out of them. Others buy them, love them, fondle them gently and treasure them as a fine sporting weapon.

So you can still find civilian rifles in very good condition - sometimes even close to new.

Of course some smart states hear about these guns and turn them into sniper rifles (like the Michigan Highway Patrol).

So there you go - a short history with a bunch left out - ask specific questions and I will talk (type) your ear off.

Steve
Old 10-12-2011, 5:09 AM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

Steve, I also heard that Remington made a few of these in a military configuration in 7x57mm for some South or Central American military. Any truth in that? I think they may have been called the "Model 1934".
Old 10-12-2011, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobek View Post
Well - what do you want to know?

The 720 is based upon the 1917 military rifle - it is strong as heck - more accurate than I am - and is a beautiful rifle.

It has a neat story to tell as well (and I am condensing a bunch)

In 1941 Remington releases the model 720 in 30-06, 257 Roberts, and 270 Winchester. Barrel lengths 20" 22" 24". Several sight configurations including Lyman #48.

They start being sold on the open market when that little unpleasantry at Pearl Harbor happens.

The US Navy contact Remington and says we need rifles - Remington says well we'd like to help but the line is all setup for these 720's - so the Navy says "We'll buy em all - now start war production"

Remington puts the 720's together and sends them to the Navy - they don't know what to do with them so they pack them away next to the Ark of the Covenant (sorry different story).

Fast forward to the late 60's - they Navy is cleaning up the warehouse and comes across these rifles (roughly 1,000 of them) - "Yo Chief, whadda we do with these old hunt'n rifles?" "I don't wanna count em - destroy'em" - - well a couple of well placed competitive shooters hear this and run to the Secretary of the Navy. They convince him that he will be enshrined forever in shooting history if he "awards" these rifles to the top Navy / Marine shooters. Being vain as heck - he agrees... so the Navy / Marines start handing them out to VERY high placed shooters. Brand New - In the Box - Never molested Rifles - they are a true piece of art. They engrave the floor plate on some - others they don't (too darn lazy after a while).

So Remington 720's can still be found brand new.....

Now on the civilian side - 1400 or so rifles get sold to the public. Smart hunters know they are really cool guns so they hunt the living snot out of them. Others buy them, love them, fondle them gently and treasure them as a fine sporting weapon.

So you can still find civilian rifles in very good condition - sometimes even close to new.

Of course some smart states hear about these guns and turn them into sniper rifles (like the Michigan Highway Patrol).

So there you go - a short history with a bunch left out - ask specific questions and I will talk (type) your ear off.

Steve
Makes me want to have one. Glad to have you around Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 10-12-2011, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The model 1934 was made in 7MM for Honduras, just several thousand. Looks like a melding of a 1917 and a military mauser.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice Post dobek! Neat story.

So OP Mattt, how did you come across these rifles?

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Good memory on the Model 1934.

About 3,000 made 1934/1935 - sent to Honduras - and it is kind of a mix between a mauser and Remington Model 30.

Sarco imported some way back when - don't see the model 1934 too often at all...

But no where CLOSE to the lines of a 720 - more military look.

720:

Model 1934:
Old 10-12-2011, 6:49 PM

Bruceflinch I got lucky. I collect marlin leverguns and pretty much picked the 2 remingtons up only for the 35 rem pump as it is a caliber also made in a marlin lever .

Last edited by mattt; 10-12-2011 at 7:28 PM..