Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

View Poll Results: What Day of the Week is Best for you to help with the Cleanup?
Friday 13 8.18%
Saturday 101 63.52%
Sunday 45 28.30%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2011, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody077 View Post
I can say from personal experience that the sheriffs office will ask you to leave if they find you in the area. We had a few people from work out there little over a year ago for some shooting and quad/rhino fun and were stopped by a sheriff's truck blocking the road. He told us that due to vandalism on the cell towers and even the power lines that Edison had issued a "file trespassing order" on anyone on or near the access roads. So as the sheriff put it, yes its BLM but to access it you must cross the access road and its private property so no more access. About 5 years ago this was not an issue.
I have also seen both the sheriff and the CHP waiting on the dirt road about 25 yards back on big weekends to stop or ticket

A clean-up is a great idea, we alwase pulled out a few extra bags of trash when we left but haven't been back since our talk with the sheriff (due to the fact of the threatened $950 fine per vehicle for trespassing)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BLM have to provide access to OUR lands?
Old 10-23-2011, 6:45 AM

Where is the shooting area located? How far off the freeway?

If someone can tell me coordinates or just show it on a map, I can tell you if the area around it private, etc.

Here's Hodge Rd off of the 15, as you can see there's quite a bit of Private to the West side of the 15 and sporadic on the East side.

This information come off of County Tax roles.

Old 10-23-2011, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
Where is the shooting area located? How far off the freeway?

If someone can tell me coordinates or just show it on a map, I can tell you if the area around it private, etc.

Here's Hodge Rd off of the 15, as you can see there's quite a bit of Private to the West side of the 15 and sporadic on the East side.

This information come off of County Tax roles.

West side of road, shooting area is once you leave the pavement and not within 300' of the cell tower (which is also close to the freeway on a little hill). BTW that isn't hodge road that is south of hodge (stoddard) and is shotgun only because it is also an OHV area.
Old 10-23-2011, 9:28 PM

In the light blue area south of Hodge Road at the left edge of the map, there is a small hill that makes a good backdrop..
Old 10-25-2011, 2:35 PM

I voted for Friday, but I'm available any of these days if I don't already have plans that particular weekend.
Old 11-07-2011, 7:06 AM

Default friday is

best for me.. can do sunday, too
Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Any updates on this?
Old 11-14-2011, 3:56 PM

If Anyone is still trying to arrange this I got a small pickup and a grill
Old 11-14-2011, 4:34 PM
CGSSA Associate

IIRC, law enforcement can't cite you for trespassing if it isn't posted. If they do, it won't stand up in court especially if you have a county generated map that says it's okay.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 11-14-2011, 5:57 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgnr24k View Post
If Anyone is still trying to arrange this I got a small pickup and a grill
idk, but i'm down to throw in marinated chicken to grill and a box of trash bags.
Old 11-15-2011, 7:41 AM

I'm still down for heading out there. Aside from cleaning up, it will be a great chance to meet some of you.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM

I am still interested in putting this on, but have become too busy lately, now the holidays are upon us...I will post when I can arrange the time to speak to BLM folks and then the trash companies...
Old 11-18-2011, 8:02 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Maybe we can turn this into a Desert community calguns clean up activity and get a chapter coordinator involved?
Old 11-24-2011, 8:26 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all. I am down to help out. I only have a shortbed Dodge Dakota but I want to help. Hey, one small pickup load at a time, right? I have fridays and saturdays off for the next 3 or 4 weeks. I will keep looking in on this thread for the info. I can bring a few cases of water and sodas to contribute to our keeping hydrated during the work and a stead hand for shootin'. Post details and I will be more than happy to help out.

"We sleep safe in our beds because
rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
on those who would do us harm" ... George Orwell

Last edited by SelvaRacing; 11-24-2011 at 8:30 AM.. Reason: bad grammar, forgot a word or two. oops!
Old 11-24-2011, 8:28 AM

Oh, and a thought on all this ruanround we have been gettin'.....

Isnt it a shame, all this lack of communication between BLM and CA Fish and Game. That is their "business" or their job, to answer questions and help us follow the rules and monitor our using/enjoying the land set aside to be enjoyed. Look at it this way, if BLM and CFG were "companies" in private industries, that communication between them would be like a normal business deal and they would do it because they would profit from the deal(again, IF they were private companies doing buiness). But because they are public agencies and theres no real benefit to them lifting a finger to communicate to answer our questions on the land use, they just dont do it. And we pay them for it with our taxes. I wish they cared.

Old 11-24-2011, 8:35 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving Selva!

LHC, the OP is pretty busy these days. All I have is a car and my time. How about we do something Sat the 5th or the 12th? If we can get a few more pickup trucks like yours, JMP and others we can get at least 3-4 beds full and that should be something.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

BLM will treat you like the plague. One thing that needs to be considered is this...I'm not much of a fan of being down range, meaning do we want to be out there cleaning while all those dumbasses are still out there shooting?

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 11-26-2011, 8:24 AM

I was out there on thursday, what a mess. I always leave there with more then I came with. makes me sick to see all the trash. if you packed it in how hard is it to pack it out.
Old 11-27-2011, 1:30 AM

Im heading out there tomorrow, or well, later this sunday morning. I am going to take a look. I do agree about being down range. I would feel better about having at least enough people so that a few could stay uprange with a radio to communicate with those of us downrange. Maybe someone can stay uprange and warn, advise, yell at, whatever, so we dont get shot cleaning up.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ron View Post
I was out there on thursday, what a mess. I always leave there with more then I came with. makes me sick to see all the trash. if you packed it in how hard is it to pack it out.
Like that?
Old 11-30-2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
Like that?
Isn't this the trail in AZ that the illegals use?? Fortunatelly Hodge isn't that bad, yet. Weather permitting, I may make a trip out this Saturday.
Old 11-30-2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IETonyR View Post
Isn't this the trail in AZ that the illegals use?? Fortunatelly Hodge isn't that bad, yet. Weather permitting, I may make a trip out this Saturday.
That was the visual I had.

My back isn't the greatest. I can man a walkie if need be. If that spot is available. Let me know? Car is in the body shop (hit and run at store). If its out by this weekend, I can head over there and help out.
Old 11-30-2011, 8:09 PM

Well, if anything a few of us can show up to meet new people, clean, shoot, eat and be merry. I have a cool spot that is all hills except for your back that is open desert. It should be pretty safe. Its not super dirty but there is **** to clean. and not thats its a secret spot or anything but the less that know the better right?
Old 12-01-2011, 6:31 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I'm down for the 10th if anyone wants to set something
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hey all,

I will be at the Barstow secret spot on 3/10 to do an overnighter. I heard that it is getting kinda dirty up there too and want to spend some time cleaning up the zombie spot. You all more than welcome to join me to shoot/clean up.

David
Old 01-12-2012, 5:18 PM

Default Mostly private property.

I just went out to the BLM field office and bought a map of the area. The area around Hodge Rd (west of the 15 fwy) is mostly private property. Pretty much any spot people like to shoot out there is private property. All along the pipeline running north and south and especially the hill with the comm tower. There is one little 1/4 mile square area to the south that is public but it falls under the county "shot gun only" rules.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercf View Post
I have been out there 2 times in the past couple weeks, there is A LOT of trash, but mostly small stuff, there are a few tires and the last time I was there someone had dumped a mattress. Both times I was at Hodge there were numerous people shooting (even into the hills by the cell tower, but 300' away and not at the tower). Everyone I met out there was nice and pleasant.
Definitely post when the cleanup is, if I am not working I definitely would like to join in. It would be nice if a local trash company would bring out some dumpsters and maybe they can put a big sign by the road for exposure (as well as Calguns!).
I also looked at some DFG maps and it looks like nightime shooting is also allowed, but I don't know if I would chance that.
i have called the sheriff department and the blm both have told me that it night shooting is ok but you are more likely to get messed with at night... i only go there at night its to hot durring the day and sometimes its really crowded so i always go at night
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM

I bought an app for my Android HTC EVO BackCountry Navigator Pro. It provides USA Topo Maps, USGS Color Aerials, MapQuest Open Aerials, USGS Color Aerials, and California BLM Boundary maps. I bought the paper map from BLM, however, I feel even more confident having a second opinion on whose land I'm in. I've been trying it out and it works great for me. The app works on satellite, so you will never loose signal. It shows you exactly were you stand, just like a GPS navigation system on your car.
Old 03-14-2012, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

^I may have to find that, I have android.
So most of Hodge rd. is private property? I saw at least 7, including me, shooting in the area.

This is from today:
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

If this is the same place I went to today... It's dirty. I cleaned up after myself. Would be interested in a cgn clean up.
Old 04-02-2012, 9:48 AM

I just shot there on Saturday. We took back 5 full trash bags of junk and shotgun shells. Problem with this place (and others like it ) is that when people start trashing it Calgunners and those of us that clean up our sites go elsewhere to shoot. All that is left is the losers that like to shoot at tvs, vcrs, and washing machines and left them out there. There needs to be signs (and bilingual) about cleaning up your junk!
Old 07-27-2012, 9:31 PM

Default update

Has anyone organized a clean up for Hodge? Count me in, if so.
*John 3:16*
Old 07-28-2012, 9:16 AM

I started this thread and have to appologize for flaking on the follow through. Family stuff....But maybe this October if I can find some org help///
Old 07-28-2012, 4:02 PM

I'd be in. I go out there and try to take more than I come with.
*John 3:16*
Old 08-30-2012, 7:50 AM

Guys, I go out here all the time to shoot, and I always end up picking up a car load of trash and stuff left behind by others. PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE, help out and pick stuff up. If we don't start cleaning this area up we will lose it. It is a great spot to shoot and easy access as well. I would like to organize a clean up as soon as it gets a little cooler out there. Maybe even a two week session so we can get alot of people out there over a period of time and get this taken care of by numerous people throughout a nice time span. Maybe get a couple of people and their trucks, a few pitch in for gas money and the trip to the dump, which is just down the road, and we make a day of it several times throughout a few days and get this place cleaned up. People are starting to treat this area like they treat this state, someone else will take care of it for me. One of the reasons we are in the mess we are in but I will save that rant for another post. Lets get some great people together and start a list of people that can go and organize a clean up, several if necessary which I believe is, and take charge of this. Last thing I want is to lose this and have to go to nazi controlled lytle creek or some other gun range that picks through every part of your gun bag or tells you what you can shoot and not shoot. Last time I checked we are in America and we are a free society. I enjoy being able to shoot as I guess everyone on here does as well. So lets kick this in the rear and get this started. I work weekends so that time frame is out for me but does not mean others can't go out there. I am available during the week on different days and can meet some people out there as well. Let's get some time/days down so we can get this going and spread the word to fellow local gun guys to help out. Thanks to everyone who does their part.
Licensed 03 C&R FFL
Old 08-30-2012, 8:50 AM

I have never been here, but would like the chance someday. I will defiantly help out whenever a cleanup is organized.
Old 08-30-2012, 2:22 PM

Count me in. My schedule is somewhat flexible and I have a shortbed pickup truck. The last time I was there, the place was a mess and I wondered if building some sort of rake that could be towed is possible because doing it by hand is a huge undertaking.
Old 09-01-2012, 8:25 AM

I am available at the end of Septemeber and through the rest of the year on Saturdays. I try to take as much as I can fit in the back of the Bronco each time I go. It is amazing the amount of electronics that are out there. If they don't keep it clean, the BLM will shut it down. .
Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

At my current job, I almost always work weekends. I'd love to help to get that area cleaned up, though. Definitely want to wait for cooler weather, though
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 09-01-2012, 9:11 PM

Count me in , let me know with time